The 2023 - ??? Edmunds Report

FireChans

44 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

No idea what Chicago thought it was buying.  They needed Edmunds for $20m/year, for what?  They’re losing 34-0 at the half and haven’t even been competitive on defense.

Its would have been wiser to pursue 3 or 4 $5M mid-tier FA's given how much help the Bears need.

Not to be rude but based on Tremaine's no-show performance so far with Chicago maybe the problem with Frazier's defense was they were only playing with 10 defenders? 

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

What you don’t love to continually talk about a guy who’s no longer here and the Bills found a suitable replacement? If this thread sticks around all year I think this will outrank the Skelton for Mario thread for worst of all time. 

Nope. You must not have heard of Ryan Fitzpatrick and his at least 4 yearly threads. He had two this year and he had already retired.  

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Its would have been wiser to pursue 3 or 4 $5M mid-tier FA's given how much help the Bears need.

Not to be rude but based on Tremaine's no-show performance so far with Chicago maybe the problem with Frazier's defense was they were only playing with 10 defenders? 

Not going to respond to such rudeness.

Meanwhile Edmunds left the game due to “injury” and the Bears’ backup LBs proceeded to register two INTs…

• Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

It was funny to hear a bunch of talking heads say the Bills’ window was closed after only losing Edmunds, despite adding a ton of talent. 

And the Bills drafting over the last couple of years is looking better and better.  You have Brown, Cook, Barnard, Benson, Torrence, Kincaid & Groot. If the young guys keep getting better the Bills SB window is wide open for the foreseeable future.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

And the Bills drafting over the last couple of years is looking better and better.  You have Brown, Cook, Barnard, Benson, Torrence, Kincaid & Groot. If the young guys keep getting better the Bills SB window is wide open for the foreseeable future.

Cmon he is still young

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

They spent like they were just a few pieces away from true contenders. It was a stunning lack of self evaluation

Fields was terrible last year, They had a chance to replace him and opted to run it back with him and DJ Moore? It was almost as bad a decision doubling down on EJ with Watkins. 

19 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Can't feel good to go from winning to the Bears.

GIF by Giphy QA
I’m sure Edmunds is struggling 

• Haha (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

I'll go so far as to say Edmunds + Frazier cost us a Superbowl appearance. At minimum.

Edmunds should have seen that lineup in KC. Fraziers best games were behind him. I don't know if they cost us the SB but the window closed in KC. 

1 minute ago, Captain Hindsight said:

They spent like they were just a few pieces away from true contenders. It was a stunning lack of self evaluation

Fields was terrible last year, They had a chance to replace him and opted to run it back with him and DJ Moore? It was almost as bad a decision doubling down on EJ with Watkins. 

It is amazing how they valued him at LB. Chicago has a fascination with LB. Always has and it's cost them. 

To drop Roquan Smith and likely have the plan to bring Edmunds in was insane!

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, delirious said:

This is so delightful to keep reading. After all the homers constantly and vociferously telling us he's good.  *Chef's kiss*, I hope this thread continues, not because of Edmunds, but so the Edmunds Truthers can sit there and be reminded about their homerism lol

Yessss king. Yes. We all need to learn around here to remove the rose colored glasses. It wasn’t even hard with edmunds.  Yet “you don’t know football” and worse… numbers don’t lie fellas. Politicians do. 

• Agree 1

• FireChans changed the title to The 2023 - ??? Edmunds Report
1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Today was really a new low for him.  He was a spectator for most of the game and then went to the locker room.   I’m talking loafing around the field.  Something is wrong with the dude.

Edmunds has never played with an all out hustle and fierceness. I remember against the Chiefs in, I believe the first playoff game, he was jogging as Tyreek caught a pass and almost went for a TD before our DT ran him down (name escapes me). I believe that was the play, someone correct me if I’m wrong.
I pointed out how Edmunds looked like he was going half speed on the replay before his weak tackle attempt and got eye roll emojis. It was there my criticism of him really picked up. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Can't feel good to go from winning to the Bears.

Boo hoo 

1 hour ago, boyst said:

Edmunds should have seen that lineup in KC. Fraziers best games were behind him. I don't know if they cost us the SB but the window closed in KC. 

It is amazing how they valued him at LB. Chicago has a fascination with LB. Always has and it's cost them. 

To drop Roquan Smith and likely have the plan to bring Edmunds in was insane!

The bears are stuck in the past with great defence. They blow 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, syhuang said:

The TD he allowed to Kelce in the back of the endzone was inexcusable I thought. You’re 6’5” with a crazy wingspan, NO WAY should that ball have made it to Kelce. Nevermind the fact his awareness was lacking and he didn’t know Kelce was in his zone, if he simply jumped more than 6” off the ground he could’ve, would’ve, and should’ve knocked down that pass. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, jamiezzz said:

Can we delete this thread?  jeez.  Move on already.

This is basically an 'I told you so' thread to all the Edmunds apologists for the past 5 years of excusing his underachieving play.  

I don't think anyone has a personal axe to grind with Tremaine. A good teammate and great guy by all accounts.

I don't believe the criticism has been directed specifically at him, but rather at those who continued to believe the hype from One Bills Drive and the media, that the former first round draft choice was a force on the defense.  He wasn't!  The stellar play by his young replacement should help convince them. Milano and Bernard may turn out to be a great LB duo.

Regardless of the never ending 'athleticism and wingspan' hype, Edmunds was a liability more often than not. Defenders knew they could run right over him and get him out of position on passing plays. For all his natural ability, he lacks the tenacity and instincts to be a top tier defender in the NFL.

Thank goodness the Bills were wise enough to spend their money on Oliver and Milano, rather than wasting it on Edmunds. Best wishes to Tremaine. Good for him that the inept Bears management bought into the media B.S. It's a shame they're not in our division. They'll be digging out of that cap hole for several years.

Edited by SoMAn
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

This is basically an 'I told you so' thread to all the Edmunds apologists for the past 5 years of excusing his underachieving play.  

I don't think anyone has a personal axe to grind with Tremaine. A good teammate and great guy by all accounts.

I don't believe the criticism has been directed specifically at him, but rather at those who continued to believe the hype from One Bills Drive and the media, that the former first round draft choice was a force on the defense.  He wasn't!  The stellar play by his young replacement should help convince them. Milano and Bernard may turn out to be a great LB duo.

Regardless of the never ending 'athleticism and wingspan' hype, Edmunds was a liability more often than not. Defenders knew they could run right over him and get him out of position on passing plays. For all his natural ability, he lacks the tenacity and instincts to be a top tier defender in the NFL.

Thank goodness the Bills were wise enough to spend their money on Oliver and Milano, rather than wasting it on Edmunds. Best wishes to Tremaine. Good for him that the inept Bears management bought into the media B.S. It's a shame they're not in our division. They'll be digging out of that cap hole for several years.

I agree with a lot of your post and was always one who lent away from signing him long term. But he was not a "liability more often than not." And that statement is indicative of the hyperbole that always existed on both sides of the Edmunds debate and persists even post his departure. 

Tremaine had an up and down first year, a good second year, a disappointing year 3 and 4 and a bounce back in year 5. He was more often than not a solid, effective middle linebacker. The knock on him for the most part was that he just never managed to make enough of the game altering plays that you want. And to pay a middle linebacker they can't just be "solid" they have to make a difference because it isn't a premium position. Edmunds was not a difference maker for the majority of his 5 seasons. That is different than being a liability. 

Liability is what you saw from Dodson and Klein in pre-season. It is what we feared we might be stuck with this season when, in actual fact, Bernard has got better each game and yesterday was a true difference maker. But even if Bernard had just got to "average" I'd rather have average on a 3rd rounder rookie deal than just a tick above on a $15m deal, let alone the $18m AAV that the Bears gave him. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.