The 2023 - ??? Edmunds Report

FireChans

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I mean I wasn't doing that. I was just making the point that you don't draft a MLB early in this NFL unless that guy can cover. Because it is a passing match up league. 

Campbell was the top rated pass coverage LB in college in 2022.  And it seems like he was pretty good against Mahome too.  64.6 rating is pretty solid. Certainly better than 118. 

image.thumb.png.75bea8825657ec14014831088f7e617e.png

2 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Campbell was the top rated pass coverage LB in college in 2022.  And it seems like he was pretty good against Mahome too.  64.6 rating is pretty solid. Certainly better than 118. 

Beane and McDermott always said nice things about Tremaine but they didn’t sign him for a reason.  The tape doesn’t lie.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I don’t recall Campbell having a hand in all those dropped passes. KC wins the game, if not for those drops and Mahomes’ rating would be much higher. 

27 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I will just point out that the second worst coverage grade on that list is the guy some Bills fans were adament we had to draft to replace Tremaine. I know, rookie, week 1, vs Chiefs... but those of us who were against the "draft Campbell in the first" or even "trade back and draft him early second" were saying he is gonna be on a steep learning curve in terms of his coverage skills in the NFL. I expect him to get better. I don't ever expect him to the worth the pick the Lions invested.

It's funny.  I paid very little attention to when Campbell was on the field, but one play stood out.   It was a nice, diving pass break up on a throw up the middle.  It was a more athletic play on the ball than we're accustomed to seeing from Edmunds.  Not that I'm drawing any conclusions about the guy, but it was a nice play.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Dopey said:

I don’t recall Campbell having a hand in all those dropped passes. KC wins the game, if not for those drops and Mahomes’ rating would be much higher. 

Fortunately we don't need your recollection, since we have the internet.  Only 3 passes were thrown near Campbell. This was one of them. 

https://www.detroitlions.com/video/highlight-campbell-shows-veteran-like-instincts-on-rookie-lb-s-diving-pbu

10 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Again my point wasn't about Tremaine. It was about Campbell. He has a lot to learn in coverage. I like the kid. He can be a solid NFL player. But he is on a learning curve as a coverage 'backer which should have precluded him from being a top 20 pick.

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

It's funny.  I paid very little attention to when Campbell was on the field, but one play stood out.   It was a nice, diving pass break up on a throw up the middle.  It was a more athletic play on the ball than we're accustomed to seeing from Edmunds.  Not that I'm drawing any conclusions about the guy, but it was a nice play.  

this is the play you are recalling:

https://www.detroitlions.com/video/highlight-campbell-shows-veteran-like-instincts-on-rookie-lb-s-diving-pbu

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Again my point wasn't about Tremaine. It was about Campbell. He has a lot to learn in coverage. I like the kid. He can be a solid NFL player. But he is on a learning curve as a coverage 'backer which should have precluded him from being a top 20 pick.

He had three passes thrown in his direction. Brilliant breakup on one of them.  He generated a 64.6 defensive passer rating.  Really not proof he has a big learning curve. 

• Disagree 1

28 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

What’s the main Bears message board? I was trying to creep on some Edmunds talk but every site I tried was absolutely dead. Like Pats* fans without Brady dead

https://www.chicitysports.com/forum/threads/officail-fire-everyone-thread-bears-fans-only.95087/page-10#post-4251714

basically saying they miss roquan

"Edmunds so far (yeah only 1 week) appears to be a massive downgrade to roquan. Maybe it’s cause he didn’t practice, maybe he is just mediocre. Why spend all that money on him."

Edited by Sharky7337
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chaos said:

this is the play you are recalling:

He had three passes thrown in his direction. Brilliant breakup on one of them.  He generated a 64.6 defensive passer rating.  Really not proof he has a big learning curve. 

So you only pick the PFF stats u like? 

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

No. This is a thread about Tremaine Edmunds.  For some wierd reason you jumped into trash Jack Campbell (whom I don't give a ***** about one way or the other), and claimed his almost as bad of a rating as Edmunds is because he is not good at pass coverage.  So then I looked up the pass coverage stats, and saw that you had it completely backasswards.  He was good in pass coverage and sucked at other things.  

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

1 minute ago, Chaos said:

No. This is a thread about Tremaine Edmunds.  For some wierd reason you jumped into trash Jack Campbell (whom I don't give a ***** about one way or the other), and claimed his almost as bad of a rating as Edmunds is because he is not good at pass coverage.  So then I looked up the pass coverage stats, and saw that you had it completely backasswards.  He was good in pass coverage and sucked at other things.  

Can you both please stay on topic, we are trying to watch the Tremaine Edmunds disaster in Chicago.

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

Honestly, this is why I'm not THAT worried about our middle linebacker position. I don't think we'll see a huge drop off. I do think the position needs to be addressed at some point, but I don't think it's as big a concern as alot of people think 

I think it will become very apparent early in this game that Bernard can not be a starter in the NFL.

By Week 3 Kirksey will be starting, if not sooner. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

At the end of the day folks, MLB does not win you championships in the NFL. This isnt 1985. 

1. QB

2. OL

3. DL

4. WR or vertical pass catching TE

QB is a no brainer. My 3 yr old knows this. OL is above all other positions bc of the importance of QB. You give an avg QB plenty of time to throw he’ll

be good; a good QB will be great; and a great QB will be unstoppable. 

Where is MLB (or non-pass rushing LB) on that pecking order? Damn near the bottom. Again, this isn’t 1985. 

I wish Edmunds the best he seems like a great person. Im glad we aren’t wasting precious cap money on him though. 

Edited by bobobonators
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.