The 2023 - ??? Edmunds Report

FireChans

2 minutes ago, Chaos said:

According to PFF, Tremaine came in at at solid 83rd, among all LBs so far this week. 
22 Linebackers played 60 snaps or more.  Edmunds ranked 20 out of those 22. 
Passer rating for guys tremaine covered was 118.8.  This ranked 21 out the 22 most active passers. 

There is a separating ranking system coming out later from TBDEA, which ranks "things fans can't understand, adjusted for player age" .  Edmunds is expected to rank #1 on this index. 

I absolutely love the bolded part

NO SERIOUSLY YOU GUYS IT'S WHAT HE'S NOT DOING THAT'S IMPORTANT, YOU JUST CANT SEE IT

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Of the few plays I saw of the Bears game, I def saw Edmunds going the wrong way on a few plays, I was like "That feels familiar..." 🤣

If Bernard can just be in the right places at the right time, hopefully that will make him more than just serviceable.  Def going to be interesting AF to see what happens in the middle of our D. :beer: 

Edited by Heitz
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Honestly, this is why I'm not THAT worried about our middle linebacker position. I don't think we'll see a huge drop off. I do think the position needs to be addressed at some point, but I don't think it's as big a concern as alot of people think 

We're about to find out! :D  :beer: 

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/28/2023 at 12:28 PM, benderbender said:

Took a stroll along a Bears forum to see how they viewed the game and most are reacting like we did against Pittsburgh. Disappointed with the offense not playing up to expectations, worrying about their preseason darlings making it to the PS, etc. 

More than a few starting to wonder about Edmunds. He's missed 10 practices for an undisclosed injury and only played a single series. But I was mostly impressed that Bears fans seem to know what they're in for with Edmunds as far as his strengths and weakness. They seem to have hope for him to contribute, but don't make him a cause to prove their GM's competency like some felt when he was with us. 

One had the keen foresight to call out why he's not worth a top 10 draft pick in 2018. But also thought Marcus Davenport was going to set the league on fire too. 

The poster was quite insightful. Actually the Bears got it right in 2018 with R. Smith who absolutely was and was worth a top 10 pick. In quickly comparing Smith’s 5 years Raven’s contract with Tremaine’s 4 year deal, they are not far apart. 20 versus 18 per. Sort of wonder if the Bears might not have been well advised to pay the extra guaranteed amount and bigger signing bonus component to keep Roquan.

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

The biggest point with Edmunds was that it did not make sense for the team to take on a crippling contract to retain Edmunds.

I think Bean would like to keep every player they develop in house, but that is just not feasible. I don't think we currently have LBs with the range or as durable as Edmunds was for the team, but that does not mean the team cannot fill that role with a cheaper option down the road.

We will see how they use Rapp, if Bernard can stay healthy, and how much juice the veteran Kirksey has left in the tank.

Kirksey - Excited about getting him on the field. Skeptical about the little dude starting tonight. Guy looks like a wr. 

Edmunds size range and speed was helpful to the scheme. Not surprised he looked bad in a new scheme, we all know he’s not an instinctive player and limited practice and camp sure isn’t good for a guy like that in a new defense. maybe it’s just hard to run with the weight of all the money in the wallet. 

unlike all the jilted lovers I do think he’ll become solid for the bears and also think teams are going to attack the middle of this d more without him there. 

• Agree 2

I was trying out Sunday Ticket, so I watched something less than a quarter of the game.  I was surprised to see him make several plays in the running game, not the classic guy who's joining a tackle.   One where he just stuffed a running back in the hole and ended up on the bottom of the pile.   A couple of stops, shared sometimes, outside the tackle.   He looked more like the linebacker I'd always hoped he become, the Keuchel clone only taller and faster.   

He wasn't much of a factor in the passing game, so far as I saw. 

Makes me wonder whether his assignment is different in the Bears' defense.   He looked much more like an old-fashioned middle linebacker.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

I'm feeling like he comes back on a smaller contract in 2 -3 years.

In 2-3 years he's going to be persona non grata. The Bears didn't draft him in the first round. Bears fans have no vested interest in needing him to succeed the way Bills fans did. All they are going to see is an extremely weak middle LB who gets pushed 10 yards deep into the defensive backfield every running play. They are going to run his name through the mud by the time he's done with this contract. 

37 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I am HERE for the Edmunds rubbernecking.

It makes me feel warm and fuzzy

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

He's in for a rough season.  It will take him nearly the entire 2023 season to get to where he was in the 2022 season with the Bills.

He's slow to know the playbook, and to boot, a defense that's entirely different from what the Bills ran, to where he doesn't need to think about what to do, he just does it.   

He won't be great for the Bears this year, but in future years, barring injury, he'll put up 2022 stats for them.  

He’ll be a Bill in 2025. He’s on the Shaq Lawson career path.

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

According to PFF, Tremaine came in at at solid 83rd, among all LBs so far this week. 
Passer rating for guys tremaine covered was 118.8.  This ranked 21 out the 22 most active linebackers. 

There is a separating ranking system coming out later from TBDEA, which ranks "things fans can't understand, adjusted for player age" .  Edmunds is expected to rank #1 on this index. 

image.thumb.png.927276928ba981a51e991651a2f3299c.png

the Aaron Jones 50 yard TD pass was right in his zone, our lil fella picked the wrong guy and surprise surprise, house call.

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

Passer rating for guys tremaine covered was 118.8.  This ranked 21 out the 22 most active linebackers. 

image.thumb.png.927276928ba981a51e991651a2f3299c.png

I will just point out that the second worst coverage grade on that list is the guy some Bills fans were adament we had to draft to replace Tremaine. I know, rookie, week 1, vs Chiefs... but those of us who were against the "draft Campbell in the first" or even "trade back and draft him early second" were saying he is gonna be on a steep learning curve in terms of his coverage skills in the NFL. I expect him to get better. I don't ever expect him to the worth the pick the Lions invested.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I will just point out that the second worst coverage grade on that list is the guy some Bills fans were adament we had to draft to replace Tremaine. I know, rookie, week 1, vs Chiefs... but those of us who were against the "draft Campbell in the first" or even "trade back and draft him early second" were saying he is gonna be on a steep learning curve in terms of his coverage skills in the NFL. I expect him to get better. I don't ever expect him to the worth the pick the Lions invested.

Wierd comparing a guy in his first NFL game playing against Mahomes, with a guy making 20mm on his second contract playing against a first time NFL starter.  But if this makes you feel better, God bless. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Chaos said:

Wierd comparing a guy in his first NFL game playing against Mahomes, with a guy making 20mm on his second contract playing against a first time NFL starter.  But if this makes you feel better, God bless. 

I mean I wasn't doing that. I was just making the point that you don't draft a MLB early in this NFL unless that guy can cover. Because it is a passing match up league. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I mean I wasn't doing that. I was just making the point that you don't draft a MLB early in this NFL unless that guy can cover. Because it is a passing match up league. 

Campbell was the top rated pass coverage LB in college in 2022.  And it seems like he was pretty good against Mahome too.  64.6 rating is pretty solid. Certainly better than 118. 

image.thumb.png.75bea8825657ec14014831088f7e617e.png

2 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Campbell was the top rated pass coverage LB in college in 2022.  And it seems like he was pretty good against Mahome too.  64.6 rating is pretty solid. Certainly better than 118. 

Beane and McDermott always said nice things about Tremaine but they didn’t sign him for a reason.  The tape doesn’t lie.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I don’t recall Campbell having a hand in all those dropped passes. KC wins the game, if not for those drops and Mahomes’ rating would be much higher. 

27 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It's funny.  I paid very little attention to when Campbell was on the field, but one play stood out.   It was a nice, diving pass break up on a throw up the middle.  It was a more athletic play on the ball than we're accustomed to seeing from Edmunds.  Not that I'm drawing any conclusions about the guy, but it was a nice play.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Dopey said:

I don’t recall Campbell having a hand in all those dropped passes. KC wins the game, if not for those drops and Mahomes’ rating would be much higher. 

Fortunately we don't need your recollection, since we have the internet.  Only 3 passes were thrown near Campbell. This was one of them. 

https://www.detroitlions.com/video/highlight-campbell-shows-veteran-like-instincts-on-rookie-lb-s-diving-pbu

10 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Again my point wasn't about Tremaine. It was about Campbell. He has a lot to learn in coverage. I like the kid. He can be a solid NFL player. But he is on a learning curve as a coverage 'backer which should have precluded him from being a top 20 pick.

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

It's funny.  I paid very little attention to when Campbell was on the field, but one play stood out.   It was a nice, diving pass break up on a throw up the middle.  It was a more athletic play on the ball than we're accustomed to seeing from Edmunds.  Not that I'm drawing any conclusions about the guy, but it was a nice play.  

this is the play you are recalling:

https://www.detroitlions.com/video/highlight-campbell-shows-veteran-like-instincts-on-rookie-lb-s-diving-pbu

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Again my point wasn't about Tremaine. It was about Campbell. He has a lot to learn in coverage. I like the kid. He can be a solid NFL player. But he is on a learning curve as a coverage 'backer which should have precluded him from being a top 20 pick.

He had three passes thrown in his direction. Brilliant breakup on one of them.  He generated a 64.6 defensive passer rating.  Really not proof he has a big learning curve. 

• Disagree 1

28 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

What’s the main Bears message board? I was trying to creep on some Edmunds talk but every site I tried was absolutely dead. Like Pats* fans without Brady dead

https://www.chicitysports.com/forum/threads/officail-fire-everyone-thread-bears-fans-only.95087/page-10#post-4251714

basically saying they miss roquan

"Edmunds so far (yeah only 1 week) appears to be a massive downgrade to roquan. Maybe it’s cause he didn’t practice, maybe he is just mediocre. Why spend all that money on him."

Edited by Sharky7337
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chaos said:

this is the play you are recalling:

He had three passes thrown in his direction. Brilliant breakup on one of them.  He generated a 64.6 defensive passer rating.  Really not proof he has a big learning curve. 

So you only pick the PFF stats u like? 

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

No. This is a thread about Tremaine Edmunds.  For some wierd reason you jumped into trash Jack Campbell (whom I don't give a ***** about one way or the other), and claimed his almost as bad of a rating as Edmunds is because he is not good at pass coverage.  So then I looked up the pass coverage stats, and saw that you had it completely backasswards.  He was good in pass coverage and sucked at other things.  

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

1 minute ago, Chaos said:

No. This is a thread about Tremaine Edmunds.  For some wierd reason you jumped into trash Jack Campbell (whom I don't give a ***** about one way or the other), and claimed his almost as bad of a rating as Edmunds is because he is not good at pass coverage.  So then I looked up the pass coverage stats, and saw that you had it completely backasswards.  He was good in pass coverage and sucked at other things.  

Can you both please stay on topic, we are trying to watch the Tremaine Edmunds disaster in Chicago.

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

Honestly, this is why I'm not THAT worried about our middle linebacker position. I don't think we'll see a huge drop off. I do think the position needs to be addressed at some point, but I don't think it's as big a concern as alot of people think 

I think it will become very apparent early in this game that Bernard can not be a starter in the NFL.

By Week 3 Kirksey will be starting, if not sooner. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

At the end of the day folks, MLB does not win you championships in the NFL. This isnt 1985. 

1. QB

2. OL

3. DL

4. WR or vertical pass catching TE

QB is a no brainer. My 3 yr old knows this. OL is above all other positions bc of the importance of QB. You give an avg QB plenty of time to throw he’ll

be good; a good QB will be great; and a great QB will be unstoppable. 

Where is MLB (or non-pass rushing LB) on that pecking order? Damn near the bottom. Again, this isn’t 1985. 

I wish Edmunds the best he seems like a great person. Im glad we aren’t wasting precious cap money on him though. 

Edited by bobobonators
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.