The 2023 - ??? Edmunds Report

FireChans

14 minutes ago, balln said:

pro bowls dont matter. its not a real achievement anymore. 

The Pro Bowl matters when it’s time to negotiate a new contract, agents will reference it. Aside from that, you’re right. It’s not indicative of a player’s talents, skill level, and positional value like it once was. The biggest laugher was Saffold and the Ravens backup QB, Huntley, making it last year. Doesn’t matter if they were alternates either, a pro bowl nod is a pro bowl nod. 

Edited by JayBaller10
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You've got an interesting definition of “disappointing”.  Multiple Pro-Bowls and top 5 in tackles in the NFL since entering the league…lol.

I’ve seen you prop up way worse players but you can’t help but over exaggerate Edmunds cuz he wasn’t the next Ray Lewis lmao

McDermott traded UP for a 19 year old MLB in a passing league. Of course I do not blame Edmunds but it was an idiotic move. He would have had to be almost as great as Ray Lewis for this ill advised, poorly thought trade to have paid off.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

McDermott traded UP for a 19 year old MLB in a passing league. Of course I do not blame Edmunds but it was an idiotic, move. He would have had to be almost as great as Ray Lewis for this ill advised, poorly thought trade to have paid off.

Beane has burned quite a few picks trading up and the only one that has proven worth it is Josh. Dawson Knox is not what I would categorize a big payoff and it’s too early to determine for Kincaid. 

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You've got an interesting definition of “disappointing”.  Multiple Pro-Bowls and top 5 in tackles in the NFL since entering the league…lol.

I’ve seen you prop up way worse players but you can’t help but over exaggerate Edmunds cuz he wasn’t the next Ray Lewis lmao

If you want to say Edmunds was good, that’s fair and I would respectfully disagree.

But You do know that Roger Saffold made the pro bowl last year, right? 

That should tell you everything you need to know about how much of a joke making the pro bowl is

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

But Edmunds was actually very good last season. Is that even arguable? I mean, come on. Opposing QBs had a rating of 69.9 against him and his missed tackle rate was a minuscule 1 percent. This is one of the dumber narratives in Bills fandom, in my opinion. Time to let it go.

Yeah he elevated his game as a zone coverage defender last year significantly(finally after two brutal seasons) but he still has just never learned how to make plays.    He's just a robotic, uninstinctive LB in a HOF body.    He got so many fat pitches playing in the McDefense and couldn't hit one out of the park to save his life in 5 seasons.   There is literally no highlight reel of the man.  

Maybe the sheer volume of snaps played will some day allow Edmunds to turn into an All Pro like DeMario Davis did.    The light came on for Davis in year 6.   But that's about the only such example though.    MLB usually reach their ceiling pretty quickly.   I suspect Edmunds will underwhelm in Chicago and be back in Buffalo in 2025.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Wish him well! Seems like a good kid. Fair against the run, good against the pass. We kept the better of the two lbs. Bills will miss him a bit this year. Overall D will remain solid. Can’t tell you who will be starting at MLB for Bills by mid season. But it could be Williams. As we all know, what are the Bills without a starting Williams !!?  

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah he elevated his game as a zone coverage defender(finally after two brutal seasons) last year significantly but he still has just never learned how to make plays.    He's just a robotic, uninstinctive LB in a HOF body.    He got so many fat pitches playing in the McDefense and couldn't hit one out of the park to save his life in 5 seasons.   There is literally no highlight reel of the man.  

Maybe the sheer volume of snaps played will some day allow Edmunds to turn into an All Pro someday like DeMario Davis did.    The light came on for Davis in year 6.   But that's about the only such example though.    MLB usually reach their ceiling pretty quickly.   I suspect Edmunds will underwhelm in Chicago and be back in Buffalo in 2025.

Yes, Edmunds is going to follow the Shaq Lawson path of get paid, disappoint and come crawling back to the one place he was productive.

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

There was a weekly “this guy isn’t that bad I swear” report on Edmunds for the last couple years.

After watching him whiff yesterday, I’m not sure if he got benched or what, but I’d love to hear some breakdown of the former “ProBowler” and his level of play in a Bears uni. 

He did not play long because he has been out with injury for the past three weeks and they were just giving him a bit of action without undue risk of injury.  He was not benched.  I thought he played fine in his limited snaps.  Perhaps the best thing about him leaving is not having to be subjected to weekly fan analysis (and mis-analysis) of his play.  He does not play here anymore so who cares.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, FLFan said:

He did not play long because he has been out with injury for the past three weeks and they were just giving him a bit of action without undue risk of injury.  He was not benched.  I thought he played fine in his limited snaps.  Perhaps the best thing about him leaving is not having to be subjected to weekly fan analysis (and mis-analysis) of his play.  He does not play here anymore so who cares.  

Lmao if you don’t think the Bears fans are gonna wise-up to this man making gang tackles 8 yards down the field. They still remember Urlacher over there, they are gonna be pissed by week 10.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Some of you guys are really obsessed with trying to trash a player. I thought it was really weird to do for a player on the team you root for. But even after he’s gone, and after the replacement has been a huge concern for a lot we still need to trash the guy? You’d think he was an off field distraction, or bashed the city and fans, maybe didn’t put any effort in.. Nope, just didn’t meet certain people’s expectations and got signed to a hefty contract on a rebuilding team. Certainly deserving the hatred and critique 

I don’t think that’s the reason for the discourse. 

The reason he got people riled up is there was a huge contingent of Bills fans and Media analysts who swore he was elite, but many people disagreed.

It didn’t matter how many times he whiffed or what Beane said when he was gone, many fans seemed brainwashed by his measurables, age, and draft pedigree, rather than his on-field production.

I’m happy he got paid and I’m also happy we didn’t pay him. It’s both and yesterday’s whiff was a nice reminder.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

But Edmunds was actually very good last season. Is that even arguable? I mean, come on. Opposing QBs had a rating of 69.9 against him and his missed tackle rate was a minuscule 1 percent. This is one of the dumber narratives in Bills fandom, in my opinion. Time to let it go.

Bills fans think anything less than a Ray Lewis highlight reel is unacceptable MLB play.  The criticisms of Edmunds are the same ones tossed at London Fletcher, Poz, and Preston Brown.  "He only makes tackles 5 yards downfield!" As if there was a ever a linebacker who exclusively played in the backfield.  You have to go back to Takeo Spikes to find a player that the linebacker mob approves of. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

Bills fans think anything less than a Ray Lewis highlight reel is unacceptable MLB play.  The criticisms of Edmunds are the same ones tossed at London Fletcher, Poz, and Preston Brown.  "He only makes tackles 5 yards downfield!" As if there was a ever a linebacker who exclusively played in the backfield.  You have to go back to Takeo Spikes to find a player that the linebacker mob approves of. 

Is that why Matt Milano hits double digit TFL’s regularly and Tremaine has hit 10 once?

Theres a reason Matt is here and Tremaine isn’t. The guy isn’t an instinctual player.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

Just now, FireChans said:

Is that why Matt Milano hits double digit TFL’s regularly and Tremaine has hit 10 once?

Theres a reason Matt is here and Tremaine isn’t. The guy isn’t an instinctual player.

Every time Matt Milano takes the wrong hole in the run fit someone burns an Edmunds jersey.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Lmao if you don’t think the Bears fans are gonna wise-up to this man making gang tackles 8 yards down the field. They still remember Urlacher over there, they are gonna be pissed by week 10.

I repeat, who cares?  

3 hours ago, FireChans said:

There was a weekly “this guy isn’t that bad I swear” report on Edmunds for the last couple years.

After watching him whiff yesterday, I’m not sure if he got benched or what, but I’d love to hear some breakdown of the former “ProBowler” and his level of play in a Bears uni. 

Edmunds is only 25 years old. He still hasn’t hit his peak. 

3 hours ago, FireChans said:

He's been injured thru preseason.  He only came back to practice this past week.  Snap counts aren't out yet, but he started the game and likely played just a handful of snaps.

No team is going to pay a guy $18M AAV and $50M guaranteed ($36.8M at signing) then bench him before he plays a regular season snap.  That's a new height of delusion even for you.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, RunTheBall said:

I was a HUGE Edmunds fan when we drafted him. Thought we’d be set for over a decade with a potential perennial All-Pro manning the middle of the D. Each year I got a little more disappointed. I was convinced Beane was going to extend him because of the constant praise we heard and the fact he traded up to get him. We could have extended him, the fact that we didn’t says A LOT about what McBeane thought. Edmunds is what he is. He isn’t going to all of a sudden make this big leap in year 6 into the LB we all wanted him to be.

The fact is, linebacker isn’t a premium position and they made the call that Oliver at DT was more important than Edmunds at LB. I’m glad we didn’t extend him at the price he got. He’s better than anything we have on the roster currently though (besides Milano), so McD better have a scheme in mind to make up for that this season. I think he does. I think we will see a lot of Rapp and Neal in a big nickle/dime look on passing downs. I don’t think we are looking for an Edmunds replacement because you can’t replace those physical traits. 

Good post. 

I see the timing of the Oliver extension and so forth a bit differently. 

Edmunds was entering free agency.  We all know "tampering" occurs in the form of agent- FO discussions in bars during the Senior Bowl and so forth.  I personally think the Bills wanted to re-up Edmunds, but by the time FA hit, they knew they weren't going to be able to get it done at a price they were willing to pay.

The Bills had already exercised Oliver's 5th year option,  so they had a choice about whether and when to negotiate and re-sign him.  They actually did re-sign him on June 3rd, and likely because Oliver decided he was more interested in getting a big dose of guaranteed $$ for his kid and his horses, than in holding out for top dollar.

It's notable that Oliver signed a contract reported to include offset language and for about $10M fully guaranteed at signing, than Edmunds did.

You're correct about LB being "not a premium position" in the sense that the top-5 ILBs are paid about the same as the top 6-10 DTs, but Oliver is #12 on the DT AAV list right now, so I'm not sure letting Edmunds walk when he received a #4 AAV LB contract while re-signing Oliver as the #12 AAV DT quite supports your argument about the Bills seeing Oliver as more important at DT than Edmunds was at LB.

I agree with you in hoping that McDermott has a scheme in mind to make up for the loss of Edmunds, and I've pointed out in the past what he did in 2017 with Preston Brown, Ramon Humber, and Zo Alexander.  I also think McDermott knows that the D will NOT be as good overall this season, and is just hoping it is "enough" and it peaks at the right time.

12 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Word is Tylor Swift is combing through the TBD Tremaine Edmunds threads to write a breakup song for Bills Mafia.

I’ll hit you all up when it drops. 

Why not Aly and AJ?

Edited by Beck Water
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

“The linebacker mob” — love it!

3rd rounder next year....I am okay with that return and I liked Edmunds a lot.  Edmunds is a tremendous athlete with wonderful size and speed, but I am pretty sure he will never be an instinct driven MLB. 

I will be interested to see how Dorian Williams develops this year -- I believe Coach Babich and McD have plans to eventually train him in both positions... His instincts seem really, really good.

Edited by JoeF

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

Our success is mainly due to having Josh Allen .. which Beane 100% gets a ton of credit for.  

That said.. He’s a good GM, but I’m getting pretty tired of seeing board favorites get passed over by this team only to ball out…

DK Metcalf

George Pickens

Creed Humphrey

Trey Smith

Tariq Woolen

Dawand Jones (too early to tell)

Beane is one of the best at managing the cap and keeping solid depth on cap-strapped roster (also need to give credit to Pegula), but when it comes to the draft… a lot of fans have a right to side eye his moves .. because a lot of fans have begged this team to draft really good players that we skipped over for poor results.  

Applies to every team every year I every sport.

4 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

What if we won our fantasy league though?

Credibility goes from 0.3 to 0.9 on a scale of a trillion.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FLFan said:

I need to be right

/s

4 hours ago, FireChans said:

I’d like to win a Super Bowl. I’d like our players to play well enough to win one. I’m sorry this offends you so much lmao

How many GMs per year assemble a roster that wins a Super Bowl?

Of those GMs have they all had a perfect record of selecting and developing a perfect draft class……ever?

Have the fan bases of those teams or other teams ever been wrong about draft selections or the pace of development for a draftee?

For the love of Pete half of this board would have Andy Isabella as the answer to all our prayers.

4 hours ago, Virgil said:

It was strange to head the announcers sing his praises so hard.  I nearly spit my drink out when they said how aggressive he is to the ball.  

Then Edmunds proceeded to do his best work, 5th man to the tackle for consecutive plays. 

There was a lot of that....and then there was also this once in a while

36 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

How many GMs per year assemble a roster that wins a Super Bowl?

Of those GMs have they all had a perfect record of selecting and developing a perfect draft class……ever?

Have the fan bases of those teams or other teams ever been wrong about draft selections or the pace of development for a draftee?

For the love of Pete half of this board would have Andy Isabella as the answer to all our prayers.

1 wins every year. I want our team to be that one. Again, sorry if that offends you. I don’t know anything about your obsession with Andy Isabella, I suggest you find someone to talk about it.

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

There was a lot of that....and then there was also this once in a while

“Once in awhile”? That was the best hit of his career, the first time I stood up and yelled “let’s go, Tremaine!” To my knowledge, watching every snap he’s played since he was drafted, he doesn’t have another prime time hit like that in his 5 year career.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Not Bills fans, the small, but vocal crowd is who you are referring to. IMO. They’re also bitching about a 4 rd pick at wr who is supposed to compliment Diggs and has averaged less than $1mil per year, because he’s not our version of Tee Higgins to Chase. It’s the same group. Let’s trade Elam after his rookie season. Maybe he didn’t smile enough. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.