The 2023 - ??? Edmunds Report

FireChans

5 hours ago, FireChans said:

Is that why Matt Milano hits double digit TFL’s regularly and Tremaine has hit 10 once?

Theres a reason Matt is here and Tremaine isn’t. The guy isn’t an instinctual player.

Milano is the better player at his position and a better value. But holy crap is this a completely misleading stat. https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/nfl-tackles-for-loss-leaders-2022-by-players

Every single guy is a d linemen or outside linebacker. It’s like comparing total tackle’s between MLB and OLB. It’s almost like they are completely different positions and have different jobs!

this is such a garbage, bitter ex thread. Dude was never said or did one thing negative as a Bill. His only crime was being the MLB of a consistent top ranked defense and getting paid a lot of money. What a loser! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

8 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

So glad we didn't pay him

He became too expensive to keep, but are you comfortable with what we’re trotting out at MLB? Dodson ? Klein?  When we get victimized by missed tackles or blown assignments you should direct complaints to Beane for not bringing in an adequate replacement at a position that calls signals for the defense and has registered more than 100 tackles average.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, FireChans said:

Edmunds wasn’t good enough to keep around. Which is disappointing to trade up to #16 in the first round for.

Not wanting to pay a MLB what the got with our cap space isn’t disappointing after having a player for 5 years with his production at his rookie bargain price.  That’s called making sound cap decisions.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

McDermott traded UP for a 19 year old MLB in a passing league. Of course I do not blame Edmunds but it was an idiotic move. He would have had to be almost as great as Ray Lewis for this ill advised, poorly thought trade to have paid off.

Well questioning to move up to get him is a different conversation than calling his actual career a literal disappointment.  

If he was as bad as many make him out to be he wouldn’t have gotten paid.  Should we have paid him, nope, agree with not resigning him at what the market dictated for him.  But he was a better player than some are making him out to be who act like he was a total bust or something.  He wasn’t perfect, but he wasn’t a bust either.  

22 hours ago, balln said:

pro bowls dont matter. its not a real achievement anymore. 

Fans gross over exaggeration isnt a real fact either, yet that didn’t stop this thread from happening ;) 

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He played in 3 snaps yesterday. Here's 2 of them:

He just doesn't have any kind of instincts or anticipation. He was massively overpaid by the Bears.

What is he even doing on the Diggs catch? His zone looks to be the immediate middle of the field, yet he blocks his own man and takes himself out of the play. And because he blocked his own man, the other receiver would’ve been wide open too.

11 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

They will leave Edmunds alone once the new target is identified.  We are in primary season but the general election is forthcoming.   Candidates include:

Elam…..leader in the clubhouse

Davis

Harty….because people will whine that the unemployed ham and egger Isabella would have been awesome

White…..for reasons I do not begin to understand

Brown but that’s probably too easy

Dawkins

McDermott

Beane

and more.

The hate will eventually settle in and focus like a laser.

Didn't read the whole thread because I'm sick hearing about Edmunds. But I would put Dorsey prolly 2nd on that list. Especially after first time the Bills call a 50 yard bomb on 3rd and short and don't convert.

Edmunds wasn’t the best, certainly could have been better but also could have been worse. 

Tough to see him not mature into what we all hoped whilst in a Bills uniform. Best decision they made was not paying him that much money. Huge salary for spotty play. All the best to him in his future career. 

Edited by BBFL
  • Agree 1

They've got an absolutely crappy DL. That was what they should have worked on. 

He can't get much done without a solid DL in front of him. Nor can any other LBs.

Again, with good DTs in front of him, Ray Lewis was all-world, and with crappy ones for a year or two in the middle of his career he was OK.

12 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

They will leave Edmunds alone once the new target is identified.  We are in primary season but the general election is forthcoming.   Candidates include:

Elam…..leader in the clubhouse

Davis

Harty….because people will whine that the unemployed ham and egger Isabella would have been awesome

White…..for reasons I do not begin to understand

Brown but that’s probably too easy

Dawkins

McDermott

Beane

and more.

The hate will eventually settle in and focus like a laser.

Yup. 

Honest to God, it's a sad bunch. They need a scapegoat to howl at more than oxycodone addicts need their fixes.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, SCBills said:

Some of it is probably backlash to the completely obnoxious “told you so” crowd that wants to say “do ya miss Edmunds now?” as if those of us who didn’t want to pay him thought we should come into the season Dodson/Klein/Bernard battling for starting MLB. 

Most of the “don’t pay Edmunds” crowd is also the “why did we draft outside linebackers on Day 2 in consecutive years” crowd. 

Hopefully one of Bernard/Williams eventually owns the spot and we can all move on. 

This sounds about right… we are worse off without him, but he probably isn’t worth the contract he got. He is a good player.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Edmunds wasn’t the best, certainly could have been better but also could have been worse. 

Tough to see him not mature into what we all hoped whilst in a Bills uniform. Best decision they made was not paying him that much money. Huge salary for spotty play. All the best to him in his future career. 

Too much money in their cap situation, yes.

Spotty play, not really. If the play had been all that spotty, he wouldn't have gotten that money. The reason he did is because he's very very good.

The Bills have said it again, over and over. They wanted him back. They couldn't afford it in the current cap situation.

And yeah, best to him in the future.

14 minutes ago, Cotton Fitzsimmons said:

This sounds about right… we are worse off without him, but he probably isn’t worth the contract he got. He is a good player.

Agree to disagree. He's worth it. But teams in cap strictures don't get to sign all the guys they think are worth signing.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Exactly this.  Too many posters apparently cannot or will not accept the fact that not all first round picks are going to develop into All Pros at their positions.  I don't know what the percentage of all first round draft picks become good or better players over the course of their careers but my guess is that it's south of 50% (< 16 players), with most of the best coming from the top of the first round in each draft.  Beane and McDermott gambled that a very young MLB would grow into greatness, and they lost.  OTOH, they gambled that a very raw QB with a big arm but poor mechanics could develop into an elite QB.  They won that one.

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Agree to disagree. He's worth it. But teams in cap strictures don't get to sign all the guys they think are worth signing.

Agree… in the context of our cap situation, it wasn’t feasible. He’s a good player, but he hasn’t reached the ceiling he potentially has with his physical gifts. You can do better, but you can also do much worse at MLB. Unfortunately, it looks like we are in position to do the latter.

Milano turning out not just to be a good player, but a great player also factored in to how much money was left.

Edited by Cotton Fitzsimmons
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Freddie&#x27;s Dead said:

As the author of The Edmunds Report, no.

Poop!!!

I did not have the honour of reading that report and I feel I may not have lived a full life because of that omission.

Could you please reconsider?

Maybe you can decide by doing what Edmunds does when he sees a ball carrier and is unsure which angle to take...just flip a coin.

So the Bills play bad in preseason and “it’s only preseason it doesn’t matter stope overreacting”

a player who used to be on the Bills plays bad in preseason and “I told

you the dude sucked he’s the worst player ever”

this fan base sometimes man. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Almost all of us here were frequently  labeled as having no idea what we were watching re: Edmunds by a vocal few, so.....who knows?

he's at least the best paid pile hopper in the NFL.

paul puzluzknee tips his hat to this, good sir

Edited by boyst
  • Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

So the Bills play bad in preseason and “it’s only preseason it doesn’t matter stope overreacting”

a player who used to be on the Bills plays bad in preseason and “I told

you the dude sucked he’s the worst player ever”

this fan base sometimes man. 

This fan base wears punters jerseys. I can’t get surprised an anything anymore.

Took a stroll along a Bears forum to see how they viewed the game and most are reacting like we did against Pittsburgh. Disappointed with the offense not playing up to expectations, worrying about their preseason darlings making it to the PS, etc. 

More than a few starting to wonder about Edmunds. He's missed 10 practices for an undisclosed injury and only played a single series. But I was mostly impressed that Bears fans seem to know what they're in for with Edmunds as far as his strengths and weakness. They seem to have hope for him to contribute, but don't make him a cause to prove their GM's competency like some felt when he was with us. 

One had the keen foresight to call out why he's not worth a top 10 draft pick in 2018. But also thought Marcus Davenport was going to set the league on fire too. 

Edited by benderbender

On 8/27/2023 at 9:04 AM, K-9 said:

Meddle Lanebacker?

Muddle Lonebacker

23 hours ago, Capco said:

No doofus!  It's obviously "Muddle Lonebacker" 🤦‍♂️

Some posters around here, I tell ya...

😂

Just catching up, should've known I'd be beaten to the punch on this one.

• Haha (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Took a quick look at a Bears forum.  There seems to be some serious buyer's remorse.  Here is one example:  "Is Edmunds not good in coverage? I'm watching the highlights and he's been out of place NUMEROUS times. Cover 2, Cover 3, Cover 0 it doesn't matter. Edmunds takes false steps and gets himself out of position. He also gets turned around. He literally looks completely lost at times. I know one of the knocks on him was that he only had 1 great year. So far, I'm not impressed. He looks lost. This is just one example."  Out of position?  Looks lost?  Whodda thunk it?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 11
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He took himself out of several plays yesterday. I know he missed a lot of time with the team this summer, in my opinion he was always washing himself out of plays, taking 5 yard piggy back rides and jumping into piles most of his time in Buffalo. 
I wish him good luck, but am glad the Bills didn’t pay him that money. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, fergie&#x27;s ire said:

Took a quick look at a Bears forum.  There seems to be some serious buyer's remorse.  Here is one example:  "Is Edmunds not good in coverage? I'm watching the highlights and he's been out of place NUMEROUS times. Cover 2, Cover 3, Cover 0 it doesn't matter. Edmunds takes false steps and gets himself out of position. He also gets turned around. He literally looks completely lost at times. I know one of the knocks on him was that he only had 1 great year. So far, I'm not impressed. He looks lost. This is just one example."  Out of position?  Looks lost?  Whodda thunk it?

I just looked, one post, "PFF Grades:   The worst performers were Edmunds, Edwards and Ngakoue"

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, fergie&#x27;s ire said:

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/bears-tremaine-edmunds-solid-chicago-debut/

This very intelligent article seems to disagree. Bengals 🌟 Tremaine Edmunds lol

9 minutes ago, WyoAZBillfan said:

He took himself out of several plays yesterday. I know he missed a lot of time with the team this summer, in my opinion he was always washing himself out of plays, taking 5 yard piggy back rides and jumping into piles most of his time in Buffalo. 
I wish him good luck, but am glad the Bills didn’t pay him that money. 

I just watched the "highlights" of that game and your description of his play was almost EXACTLY what I saw.  He was always just out of the play, always in the general zip code but totally infective in actually making a stop much lass an actual "play".

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

watched most of the game yesterday and TE was average at best.  made a few solid open tackle run stops, nothing spectacular.  one or two tackles for a loss.  as for coverage, Pack TE luke musgrave caught 3 balls out of 4 targets.  

One strange note, not sure how the Bears and NFL let him wear those Bills red long sleeve but i thought it was a cool gesture!  

• Like (+1) 1

According to PFF, Tremaine came in at at solid 83rd, among all LBs so far this week. 
22 Linebackers played 60 snaps or more.  Edmunds ranked 20 out of those 22. 
Passer rating for guys tremaine covered was 118.8.  This ranked 21 out the 22 most active linebackers. 

There is a separating ranking system coming out later from TBDEA, which ranks "things fans can't understand, adjusted for player age" .  Edmunds is expected to rank #1 on this index. 

image.thumb.png.927276928ba981a51e991651a2f3299c.png

Edited by Chaos
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, fergie&#x27;s ire said:

He's in for a rough season.  It will take him nearly the entire 2023 season to get to where he was in the 2022 season with the Bills.

He's slow to know the playbook, and to boot, a defense that's entirely different from what the Bills ran, to where he doesn't need to think about what to do, he just does it.   

He won't be great for the Bears this year, but in future years, barring injury, he'll put up 2022 stats for them.  

The biggest point with Edmunds was that it did not make sense for the team to take on a crippling contract to retain Edmunds.

I think Bean would like to keep every player they develop in house, but that is just not feasible. I don't think we currently have LBs with the range or as durable as Edmunds was for the team, but that does not mean the team cannot fill that role with a cheaper option down the road.

We will see how they use Rapp, if Bernard can stay healthy, and how much juice the veteran Kirksey has left in the tank.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.