Could Bills Trade Up To #1 For Pass Rusher? Picks and Rousseau For #1?

jwhit34

Draft Day Trade Up To #1 Overall Pick To Draft Aidan Hutchinson  

223 members have voted

1. 1. If the following trade was proposed: The Bills 1st and 2nd picks in '22 draft and Greg Rousseau, would you:

• Agree to the trade if you were the Bills
    • Decline the trade if you were the Bills
    • Agree to the trade if you're the Jags
    • Decline the trade if you're the Jags

57 minutes ago, harryS said:

Bills would draft a bust or at least underwhelming DE going by past history.

Cincy didn't defeat the Chiefs because they had more defensive talent than the Bills.  They had better brains than the Bills on defense.  Not sure how to fix that, though.

Since people seem to support McD and Frazier.

solid post....atta boy!

• Haha (+1) 2

I don’t make this trade.

That being said: If I am being forced to make this trade, I am doing it for a veteran / known quantity. Why would I roll the dice on an unknown draft prospect when I can use the assets to get an elite level talent (not factoring cap in here, of course). Groot had a pretty good rookie year all things considered, and he likely will do better this coming year. 

I truly think if you are giving up those kind of assets, you only do it if you need a QB. Even those picks/players may not be enough

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

If the Jags were stupid enough to get fleeced and make that deal than Beane and the Bills would be fools not to make that deal.

If we are giving up quality draft picks though I still think the best route is to trade for a proven veteran like we did with Diggs. Need someone that can step in day one and transform this entire defense because of the attention they'll command and it also makes Oliver that much better in the process.

I wanted to tag an “Agree” on this post, but then saw who the poster was and just couldn’t do it. 

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

1 - Salary Cap.  Next year, Josh’s contract kicks in and we are going to have to keep injecting young talent into this team.  Giving up 3 young players (Greg, 1st and 2nd) for one doesn’t make a lot of sense for us.  Especially since Rousseau showed a lot of upside at the same position you are suggesting we trade for.  

Yup, this. If anything, we are most likely to start accumulating draft picks over the next few seasons, by trading veteran players with higher salaries, in order to keep building a competitive team and stay under the cap.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

The #1 overall pick will not be a QB for only the 4th time since 2010 (Myles Garrett-'17, Jadaveon Clowney-'14 and Eric Fisher-'13). Aidan Hutchinson seems to be at the top of many draft boards.

A big need for the Bills is still a 10+ sack/year pass rusher. Would a package consisting of the Bills' 1st and 2nd round draft picks in '22 plus Greg Rousseau land them the #1 pick? Would you do it if you were the Bills? What if you were the Jaguars? 

My thought here is that the Bills have 3 young DEs that could all be decent players but maybe not elite. Rousseau probably has the most potential. Hutchinson seems more of a sure thing. If you're the Jags, you get a player and 2 good picks. Plug in Hutchinson, maybe Epenesa and/or Basham work out, bring in a vet DE to be a rotational guy. 

If you're the Jags and this isn't enough, what more do you think they would ask for? If you're the Bills, what more would you be willing to give up? Maybe the Bills have to throw in a 2 or 3 in '23.

3 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

Holy crap you GREATLY underestimate how much it would cost to move up 20+ spots in the first round to #1 overall.  Need to throw in a couple more 1st and 2nd rounders at least, especially considering our low draft slots.  Our 2nd rounder + Rousseau probably wouldn't get us to the top 10, and it only gets exponentially more expensive from there.

Agreed. You are talking two #1s and two#2 and a player to move that far. And maybe even more. Nobody ever makes that trade. No one wants to move down that much and no one is willing to give up that much draft capital except in a movie

3 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Why would you even contemplate trading Rousseau, who had a stellar rookie year? Plus, if we are going to trade anyway, I would rather get a proven EDGE than another rookie, no matter how highly rated he is. We should be in win now mode. 

I understand its a hypothetical but at least the suggestion needs to have some grounding in reality. 

Answer is "hell no"

lets make a deal GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

The #1 overall pick will not be a QB for only the 4th time since 2010 (Myles Garrett-'17, Jadaveon Clowney-'14 and Eric Fisher-'13). Aidan Hutchinson seems to be at the top of many draft boards.

A big need for the Bills is still a 10+ sack/year pass rusher. Would a package consisting of the Bills' 1st and 2nd round draft picks in '22 plus Greg Rousseau land them the #1 pick? Would you do it if you were the Bills? What if you were the Jaguars? 

My thought here is that the Bills have 3 young DEs that could all be decent players but maybe not elite. Rousseau probably has the most potential. Hutchinson seems more of a sure thing. If you're the Jags, you get a player and 2 good picks. Plug in Hutchinson, maybe Epenesa and/or Basham work out, bring in a vet DE to be a rotational guy. 

If you're the Jags and this isn't enough, what more do you think they would ask for? If you're the Bills, what more would you be willing to give up? Maybe the Bills have to throw in a 2 or 3 in '23.

The #1 pick is going to take a lot more....like a lot.  Like 3 first rounders.

And I thought my takes were stupid after my 3rd Vodka and Tea pre-game...

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, msw2112 said:

I'm a huge Michigan fan and love Hutchinson.  I believe he will be a great pro.  That said, he's unproven at the NFL level and you never know for certain how a college player will perform at the next level.  Over time, Rousseau may end up being the better player.  I would not make this trade.  Further, as mentioned above, it might actually cost more than this to move up to #1.  I'd only make this kind of major trade to move up the board for a franchise QB, and even then, there's no guarantee of the drafted player's NFL success.

i follow Michigan a bit and I agree. I think Groot is probably going to end up being better honestly. 

10 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Jesus H. Christ!🤦‍♂️

The hypothetical trade threads may be the worst thing that happens here. It’s ahead of clubbing baby seals, I will admit that. I wish it wasn’t so close on the list. 

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

There is a valid argument that without a consensus QB at #1, it won't cost as much to trade up to the first pick.

BUT, why you would trade Rousseau plus very valuable assets for someone who MIGHT, at best, be 10% better than Rousseau, is beyond me. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.