Could Bills Trade Up To #1 For Pass Rusher? Picks and Rousseau For #1?

jwhit34

Draft Day Trade Up To #1 Overall Pick To Draft Aidan Hutchinson  

223 members have voted

1. 1. If the following trade was proposed: The Bills 1st and 2nd picks in '22 draft and Greg Rousseau, would you:

• Agree to the trade if you were the Bills
    • Decline the trade if you were the Bills
    • Agree to the trade if you're the Jags
    • Decline the trade if you're the Jags

8 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

This team has been fairly good at drafting, I would rather just "let the draft come to you" so to speak. Stay at 25/57 and see what prospects are there and just pick the best. No need to move up or down the board until the mid-rounds when the team has extra picks in the back end of the draft they could use to move up. Hell I think moving down a few spots at 25 might work best if a trade down is there. Just simply no need to move up at such a high cost. 

The truth is, the Bills drafting record is very questionable..... Who was in charge of the 2017 draft? That was our great one. We got a first rounder that sort of turned into Edmunds. We got Dawkins. We got Tre White. We got Milano and Harrison.

I think Beane was in charge because the way we moved around the draft was exactly like Beane and his hire was merely paper work that needed to be done. 
But we never drafted that well again. Take away the Allen pick and it's very questionable. The jets put us in a position that we almost had to draft Allen as he was the next best QB. I'm not trying to cause a fight. I'm a Bills fan that wants the Bills to look good but I'm not going to lie about it. Our defense cost us a trip to the Super Bowl imho and we drafted a ton of defense but it is very questionable as to what we have on D. Part of the reason is they're still young but the fact remains the Bills defense needs to be more aggressive and they need a game-changer in the front seven and we are not even close right now in that regard.

I think we have to start thinking more like the rams and other teams (many of them super bowl winners) that add an impact player(s) to close the gap to become a Super Bowl winner.

Can our defensive coaches coach a Super Bowl winning defense? Frankly, I don't know. Two years in a row we had highly questionable game plans vs. KC imho.... We were too laid back and not aggressive at all. We played not to lose. The DL had no confidence in what they were supposed to do. They looked lost, imho.... A DC has to get their team ready to play and ready to kick ass no matter what. The only good thing I can say about Leslie is that he had this defense ready to play vs. KC in week five. Where that attitude went in the playoffs is beyond me.... Our defense looked good in many other games as well, sometimes playoff games, so I think, at least there's hope, but Ivwouldnt have shed a tear had Leslie left for greener pastures. I don't think many would have been too disappointed.

• Eyeroll 1

We can’t evaluate defensive linemen to save our lives. I don’t trust the team to draft the right one. Oliver has been good, Rousseau looks promising. Other than that our signings and draft picks on the defensive line have been a disaster. 10 million a year for star and Addison? 6 million a year for Vernon Butler. Quinton Jefferson, Epenesa, Basham. Continuing to overpay and play Jerry Hughes despite him disappearing every play. It’s been a disaster. These guys don’t know what they are doing when it comes to the defensive line, there is a reason why we see it as a problem every year.

Edited by MWK
  • Like (+1) 1

Jumping 25 spots in round 1 is an insane draft strategy, and probably impossible.  Add to that the fact that Aiden Hutchinson may have less value as a #1 overall pick than any #1 overall pick in the last 5 years at least, and you have a no brainer for a "No way" answer.  Frankly, I pity the Jaguars for having picked this year of all years to secure the #1 pick.  Beane should be run out of the building before the start of Round 2 if he makes that trade.  Have I made my answer clear enough?

Edited by BigAl2526
  • Like (+1) 2

The Jags wouldn't.

We'd be nuts to do it.

3 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

The truth is, the Bills drafting record is very questionable.....

That is very far from the truth.

It's an opinion, and frankly a pretty stupid one.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Why would you even contemplate trading Rousseau, who had a stellar rookie year? Plus, if we are going to trade anyway, I would rather get a proven EDGE than another rookie, no matter how highly rated he is. We should be in win now mode. 

I understand its a hypothetical but at least the suggestion needs to have some grounding in reality. 

Answer is "hell no"

Don’t u think stellar is a little far fetched for the season Rouse just had? I won’t call 4 sacks stellar . 

Regardless of how anyone feels about the trade around here, the 25th pick in the 1st and 2nd Round + Greg Rousseau is not enough capital to acquire the 1st overall pick.

Draft Value Chart has the #1 Pick at 3000 pts. The 25th pick is worth 720 pts. and the 57th pick is worth 330 pts. Greg Rousseau alone does not make up the remaining 1950 pts.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

I wouldn't do it, if for nothing else Rousseau becomes a beast and you draft a bum. I couldn't live with the embarrassment  😔 

If he was ever going to be a "beast" we would know it by now.

He's closer to the "bust" end of the spectrum.

I was huge on this guy, too.

3 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Regardless of how anyone feels about the trade around here, the 25th pick in the 1st and 2nd Round + Greg Rousseau is not enough capital to acquire the 1st overall pick.

Draft Value Chart has the #1 Pick at 3000 pts. The 25th pick is worth 720 pts. and the 57th pick is worth 330 pts. Greg Rousseau alone does not make up the remaining 1950 pts.

I thought this was obvious and implied.

6 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Two words, Sammy Watkins.  HARD PASS!

That ain't what the Bills said with Sammy!  We said "let's give away even more capital and trade way up to get him!"

In a draft where Odell Beckham was sitting there for us without trading up.

We also could have had Aaron Donald in that draft without moving up as well--he went 1 pick after Odell.   

😂

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 1

Boogie Basham a 3rd and a 5th...next year and thats my final offer ;) 

4 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Then I guess my proposal will hit the round file ;) 

The Jags would want all the Bills picks this year and next year to make it happen.

NO, no, no. 

• To paraphrase a previous poster, "you only trade up for one position and it's not DE".  Teams rarely get the opportunity to draft a great QB, so if they think that there's one in the draft, you go for it.  Otherwise, stay put or possibly trade back for the right deal.
  • The Bills have big needs at CB and interior OL, which the #25 pick could enable them to fill one with an elite talent while keeping Rousseau and that second rounder.
  • I'd prefer the Bills to acquire an edge rusher to help them now through either FA or trade.

9 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

The truth is, the Bills drafting record is very questionable..... Who was in charge of the 2017 draft? That was our great one. We got a first rounder that sort of turned into Edmunds. We got Dawkins. We got Tre White. We got Milano and Harrison.

I think Beane was in charge because the way we moved around the draft was exactly like Beane and his hire was merely paper work that needed to be done. 
But we never drafted that well again. Take away the Allen pick and it's very questionable. The jets put us in a position that we almost had to draft Allen as he was the next best QB. I'm not trying to cause a fight. I'm a Bills fan that wants the Bills to look good but I'm not going to lie about it. Our defense cost us a trip to the Super Bowl imho and we drafted a ton of defense but it is very questionable as to what we have on D. Part of the reason is they're still young but the fact remains the Bills defense needs to be more aggressive and they need a game-changer in the front seven and we are not even close right now in that regard.

I think we have to start thinking more like the rams and other teams (many of them super bowl winners) that add an impact player(s) to close the gap to become a Super Bowl winner.

Can our defensive coaches coach a Super Bowl winning defense? Frankly, I don't know. Two years in a row we had highly questionable game plans vs. KC imho.... We were too laid back and not aggressive at all. We played not to lose. The DL had no confidence in what they were supposed to do. They looked lost, imho.... A DC has to get their team ready to play and ready to kick ass no matter what. The only good thing I can say about Leslie is that he had this defense ready to play vs. KC in week five. Where that attitude went in the playoffs is beyond me.... Our defense looked good in many other games as well, sometimes playoff games, so I think, at least there's hope, but Ivwouldnt have shed a tear had Leslie left for greener pastures. I don't think many would have been too disappointed.

Drafting a franchise QB is the be all and end all when it comes to evaluating a team's draft expertise.   The Bills gave up a ton of draft capital in order to get Allen.  They also gave up a first rounder to acquire Diggs.  I doubt that they could have drafted a more impactful player than Diggs with that 2020 first rounder. 

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

So you think Rousseau as the #25 pick was either going to be a beast or a bust in year 1?

That's foolish, I wasn't even that high on the pick but you can't judge him off 1 year. He showed he could play and has alot of potential. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

This is definitely true. That said, this is w weaker top 10, and the reflection from 2013 was that in a weaker draft trades up cost less. Still don't think this trade works but I suspect you will see some trades this year that don't maximise value according to the chart.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Yes, because every NFL player comes in day one and becomes a stud day one. Rousseau came in and played very well for a rookie. Will he need to take a step up yes but I wouldn't assume he won't become a beast when he hasn't even had a full year & off-season in a NFL training room. Usually takes two to three years to truly tell where some of these guys are talent wise. 

Edited by dje85

34 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

Last time we traded up for a generational talent we got Sammy Watkins.

Let's let the other teams have alien lizard people.

Actually, the last time the Bills traded up for a generational talent, they got Josh Allen ....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, ChasBB said:

Never say "never".  I'm not agreeing with the OP - we need to continue to develop Rousseau, but trading up is exactly how we landed Josh Allen, so it's not always idiotic to trade up.

The thing is, we traded up 5 spots from 12th to 7th.

As the draft picks get closer to the top, the haul needed to move up gets larger.

26 minutes ago, filthymcnasty08 said:

😡 - Khalil Mack - it still hurts.

Don't remind me of those days.  I would just finish writing something like "the Bills could trade up for Mack because (reasons)" and "the Bills would never trade all that to move up for a WR" and Nix or Whaley would be "Hold My Beer"

21 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

The #1 overall pick will not be a QB for only the 4th time since 2010 (Myles Garrett-'17, Jadaveon Clowney-'14 and Eric Fisher-'13). Aidan Hutchinson seems to be at the top of many draft boards.

A big need for the Bills is still a 10+ sack/year pass rusher. Would a package consisting of the Bills' 1st and 2nd round draft picks in '22 plus Greg Rousseau land them the #1 pick? Would you do it if you were the Bills? What if you were the Jaguars? 

My thought here is that the Bills have 3 young DEs that could all be decent players but maybe not elite. Rousseau probably has the most potential. Hutchinson seems more of a sure thing. If you're the Jags, you get a player and 2 good picks. Plug in Hutchinson, maybe Epenesa and/or Basham work out, bring in a vet DE to be a rotational guy. 

If you're the Jags and this isn't enough, what more do you think they would ask for? If you're the Bills, what more would you be willing to give up? Maybe the Bills have to throw in a 2 or 3 in '23.

Trade all that for a high-motor, lunch-pail DE. Are you related to Sherlock Holmes?

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Don't remind me of those days.  I would just finish writing something like "the Bills could trade up for Mack because (reasons)" and "the Bills would never trade all that to move up for a WR" and Nix or Whaley would be "Hold My Beer"

It was Whaley/Russ (after Ralph passed) while we were between owners playing with "house money" like two children. 

1 hour ago, filthymcnasty08 said:

It was Whaley/Russ (after Ralph passed) while we were between owners playing with "house money" like two children. 

It was far more prolonged and broader in scope than that.  Trade up for TJ Graham in 2012 with Russ Wilson on the board had nothing to do with Ralph passing and Whaley/Russ playing with "house money"

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/9/2022 at 12:24 PM, jwhit34 said:

The #1 overall pick will not be a QB for only the 4th time since 2010 (Myles Garrett-'17, Jadaveon Clowney-'14 and Eric Fisher-'13). Aidan Hutchinson seems to be at the top of many draft boards.

A big need for the Bills is still a 10+ sack/year pass rusher. Would a package consisting of the Bills' 1st and 2nd round draft picks in '22 plus Greg Rousseau land them the #1 pick? Would you do it if you were the Bills? What if you were the Jaguars? 

My thought here is that the Bills have 3 young DEs that could all be decent players but maybe not elite. Rousseau probably has the most potential. Hutchinson seems more of a sure thing. If you're the Jags, you get a player and 2 good picks. Plug in Hutchinson, maybe Epenesa and/or Basham work out, bring in a vet DE to be a rotational guy. 

If you're the Jags and this isn't enough, what more do you think they would ask for? If you're the Bills, what more would you be willing to give up? Maybe the Bills have to throw in a 2 or 3 in '23.

you realize this player called Bruce smith had crap numbers his rookie year…..

3 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

I’m trying real hard to figure out if this is a troll job or just an abysmal thread.

Its early on the west coast.

It's been a full day now and the OP has yet to post again since posting this thread, despite being around last night and early this morning.  My money is on just an abysmal thread fueled by staggering ignorance of trade values, and he's too scared to respond.  Then again he has less than 500 posts in 12 years, so maybe it's just his style to drop something and not be seen again.

3 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

you realize this player called Bruce smith had crap numbers his rookie year…..

I'm not sure I'd call 4 fumble recoveries, 6.5 sacks, and 48 solo tackles "crap" numbers.

Rousseau had 4 sacks and 42 solo tackles; no recoveries for comparison.

What's concerning is John Fina's comments about Rousseau having no planned "first move" prior to the snap when he is going to pass rush, which is every OLman's dream come true.

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

I'm not sure I'd call 4 fumble recoveries, 6.5 sacks, and 48 solo tackles "crap" numbers.

Rousseau had 4 sacks and 42 solo tackles; no recoveries for comparison.

What's concerning is John Fina's comments about Rousseau having no planned "first move" prior to the snap when he is going to pass rush, which is every OLman's dream come true.

Well I'm confident that's an area that's very fixable, he and coaches will work on that and will improve 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.