Christian McCaffrey rumors

Steel City Mafia

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

Cook's gotten only a handful of touches, is just starting to build his confidence, and now you want to give up big assets for a guy to replace him?  And RBs don't apprentice behind other RBs; they are expected to step up and contribute in their rookie season because there ain't going to be any second contract.

I'm just talking this season and maybe next year depending on the financials.  That still gives us Cook with two or three years left on his rookie deal.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Rc2catch said:

We have no clue what they want to do. Cause they don’t lol. 
They have Corral sitting on IR who may or may not be their quarterback. 
I don’t look at their roster and see a rebuild. I see a need to develop talent which Rhule could not. 
If the next coach is Sean Payton or someone who is from the offensive side of the ball I would think CMC will be a vital selling point in landing that coach. 

No QB = no win in the NFL.     Matt Corral is not that guy.   

I’d take him but He is not the guy I’d be targeting.  Our offense is only stopped when our OL is injured or playing poorly.  Improving our OL is the way we improve our O.  RB won’t be worth anything if our OL is down again.

our secondary is injury depleted, but still playing well.  Our DL has surely missed Oliver and Phillips, that’s been a weakness.

i guess I’d like to see OL DL DB and even WR before adding a RB.  We are one injury away from being super thin at WR.  We have 3 RBs that are serviceable, including a high pick last draft.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Shake_My_Head said:

No QB = no win in the NFL.     Matt Corral is not that guy.   

That’s a bad take. He’s not that guy before ever taking a snap. I can’t agree there. I have no clue if he’s good or bad but he hasn’t even played yet. 

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

If we're gonna do this, do it now and get him here in time to incorporate him into the offense before KC. Imagine disrupting all the defensive game planning they've done on us just 4-5 days before they have to play us.

Any traded player wouldn't see the field until the GB game at the earliest, IMO.   

McD and his staff are conservative, process guys--not Sean McVay types.

2 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

That’s a bad take. He’s not that guy before ever taking a snap. I can’t agree there. I have no clue if he’s good or bad but he hasn’t even played yet. 

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2022/10/10/panthers-matt-rhule-christian-mccaffrey-dj-moore-brian-burns-trade-deadline/

"The desire to trade away veteran players makes sense. Carolina only has four draft picks in 2023, and a new coaching staff and/or front office will likely want more than that to rebuild this team their way."

Moreover, the Carolina brass may decide to enter a full-on rebuild after being enticed by some of the top college quarterback prospects available this year. Even though it’s still early, the Panthers are currently in possession of the No. 1 overall pick in the 2023 NFL draft—something that could hold if the team continues its struggles and shops off a few of its top veterans.

As Jones specifically stated, McCaffrey could be at the top of that list. After all, the sixth-year rusher is undeniably the best player on the team."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, london_bills said:

Dareus and Watkins were questionable effort guys who didn't fit the new regimes process guys

McCaffrey has questionable health.  Played 7 games last season and 4 games the year before. Also a big contract to boot.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Vomit 1

16 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

And CMC is a guy with a big contract who has been injured lately. The Panthers will want to get out of that contract, but the only way right now is to cut him and let him walk for nothing, or trade him and get SOMETHING in return.

A 4th sounds about right.

If CMC returns to form and stays in form a 4th would be a bargain, but and a big but, will he? He’s missed a lot of time over the last two years. I think a 4th is about as high as we should go.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

You could well be right.  But I'm yearly astounded by what gets offered in FA.

True, good point, but we're talking an "aging" RB here. This line of discussion piqued my interest...

Leonard Fournette, after helping carry TB to a SB, got 3/$21M.

Melvin Gordon got 1/$2.5

Most big RB contracts are the deals immediately following their rookie deal, and then fall off a cliff for their 3rd contract.

With no guaranteed money remaining, Beane could bring him in this year for $600k, then say "How about 2/$15M with $10M guaranteed?"

If he doesnt take it, cut him and let him try the market next year. But he might sign it to get that guaranteed money as an aging RB who has been dinged up.

6 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

McCaffrey has questionable health.  Played 7 games last season and 4 games the year before. Also a big contract to boot.

The contract is meaningless at this point.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

McCaffrey has questionable health.  Played 7 games last season and 4 games the year before.

More competition for CMC might mean the price goes up. It is different to those guys as the Bills are in win now mode. I just think from CAR perspective it would be a higher pick than 4

Edited by london_bills
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Bills2022 said:

The Bills roster is the best in football.  We don't need to add anything. We will win the Super Bowl if we play our best football.  

This is idiotic. In 2016 the Cubs had BY FAR the best roster in baseball and an elite bullpen though it was the weakest part of their team and a 100 year title drought. Yet they still went out and gave up a bunch of future value to get Aroldis Chapman and lo and behold half their bullpen gets hurt and they absolutely do not win the World Series without him.

The Bills clearly have the best roster in the league but their biggest weakness is someone that scares the defense out of the backfield that isn’t Josh Allen. CMC isn’t going to cost a first round pick, and frankly, any pick beyond the first round will struggle to make this roster anyway. And on top of that, you’ll never be giving up as much future value as my example above because the only person with that much impact on the future is Josh Allen and he’s not going anywhere. 

Standing pat isn’t how titles are won. Normally, it’s hard to install a new offensive player mid season but a running back isn’t going to be difficult at all, it makes waaaay too much sense to push some more chips into the pot. 

Edited by SACTOBILLSFAN

3 minutes ago, SACTOBILLSFAN said:

This is idiotic. In 2016 the Cubs had BY FAR the best roster in baseball and an elite bullpen though it was the weakest part of their team and a 100 year title drought. Yet they still went out and gave up a bunch of future value to get Aroldis Chapman and lo and behold half their bullpen gets hurt and they absolutely do not win the World Series without him.

The Bills clearly have the best roster in the league but their biggest weakness is someone that scares the defense out of the backfield that isn’t Josh Allen. CMC isn’t going to cost a first round pick, and frankly, any pick beyond the first round will struggle to make this roster anyway. And on top of that, you’ll never be giving up as much future value as my example above because the only person with that much impact on the future is Josh Allen and he’s not going anywhere. 

Standing pat isn’t how titles are won. Normally, it’s hard to install a new offensive player mid season but a running back isn’t going to be difficult at all, it makes waaaay too much sense to push some more chips into the pot. 

Football is not baseball.  Adding a running back to our team is not going to improve our offense at all.  We score at will when we execute. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I don’t see why Carolina would sell him off. 
If they want a proven coach like Sean Payton or something I would think having CMC around would be a selling point for that coach. 

The biggest selling point for a new coach is draft picks to pick their preferred QB and build around him. Right now in 2023 they have just a 1st, a 2nd, a 4th, a 5th, and a 7th. A 27 year old RB is not going to help them rebuild. They need a pipeline of young talent.

• Like (+1) 1

He was arguably the best college football player I’ve ever watched in his hey day with Stanford. But with that said I’m not sure that the problem with our running game is due to the quality of our running backs. The O Line still doesn’t seem to have learned how to open holes on a consistent basis…and even CMC isn’t going to be able to fix that.

• Like (+1) 1

The dumb fan in me says, don't give up anything higher than a couple 3rd rd picks (Carolina wouldn't do this).

The smart fan in me says, I am good with whatever Brandon EF'ing Beane does or does not do.

Question, and I realize that it is not an "either, or" situation, but if you can only have one added to this team, are you choosing OBJ later in the season, or CMC at the deadline?

Who does more for the offense?

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The biggest selling point for a new coach is draft picks to pick their preferred QB and build around him. Right now in 2023 they have just a 1st, a 2nd, a 4th, a 5th, and a 7th. A 27 year old RB is not going to help them rebuild. They need a pipeline of young talent.

I agree. But they already have a ton of younger talent. I guess my only point would be a coach might think they can win with that roster now. They are nowhere near as bad as they have been this year. But they’ve fallen apart offensively since they fired Brady. 

24 minutes ago, london_bills said:

More competition for CMC might mean the price goes up. It is different to those guys as the Bills are in win now mode. I just think from CAR perspective it would be a higher pick than 4

There will literally only be 2 teams seriously inquiring close to winning it all and has the capital they'd be willing to part with where this makes sense:

Buffalo

KC

The Rams traded firsts till it got them a SB.  Not worried about trading what hopefully will be pick 32.

Could put the guy in bubble wrap until December to btw.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm torn.

Love me a good bit of CMC at his best. Would love that player here,  and he would definitely be an upgrade.

But he is injured so much. And I also am not sure how much pop he has had this season, from the little I have seen - generally just highlights and a bit of red zone.

But my word I'd love the good CMC (who wouldn't?) and I reckon it might be worth the risk, even for a fairly high draft pick.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.