Gabe Davis- Do you want him back and for how much $

NewEra

Do you want to resign Gabe Davis- If so, how much should we pay him?  

408 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Gabe Davis back? If so, for how much $?

• No- I don’t want him back- I’m over him.
    • Yes- but as a WR3-5 and under 5M aav
    • Yes- He’s an average WR2- I’d pay him 5-9M aav
    • Yes- He’s a good WR2- I’d pay him 9m+ aav

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Really?? Even before this season I found that popular prognostication hard to believe, and now...

The Chiefs gave $10M AAV to MVS. I am certain that is Davis's ceiling. My guess is 3 years $30M but with an easy out after year 2. I'll guess the Ravens as his next team. A blocking WR fits their team.

I could see that contract. 3 years for $30m. But I think there would be some serious guaranteed money with it. He will get a better payday than we’re willing to give him imo. 

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Really?? Even before this season I found that popular prognostication hard to believe, and now...

The Chiefs gave $10M AAV to MVS. I am certain that is Davis's ceiling. My guess is 3 years $30M but with an easy out after year 2. I'll guess the Ravens as his next team. A blocking WR fits their team.

Two seasons ago. $10m AAV two years ago is more like $12-13m AAV now and that us where I think he will end up, especially in a relatively thin market. There is Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman (I suspect Indy end up keeping him), Calvin Ridley and Mike Evans then Gabe is probably the next best outside receiver on the market. I know it is a strong draft but as vets go he is likely the 4th or 5th best option. 

Someone will pay Gabe as a #2. It won't be the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Two seasons ago. $10m AAV two years ago is more like $12-13m AAV now and that us where I think he will end up, especially in a relatively thin market. There is Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman (I suspect Indy end up keeping him), Calvin Ridley and Mike Evans then Gabe is probably the next best outside receiver on the market. I know it is a strong draft but as vets go he is likely the 4th or 5th best option. 

I'm in agreement about pittman.

I think evans stays in tb too.  He already has his ring and can be a career guy there.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, balln said:

I voted 2. But I’m changing to letting him walk. He’ll be more valuable as a comp pick. Nothing wrong with it. He had immediate production as a rookie. Had an epic performance in playoffs. Good production for a 4th rd pick. He’s nothing special. And he’s only going downhill athletically at this point 

this is the answer, yes.   Give me the comp pick and the cap relief.  

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

https://buffalonews.com/sports/buffalo-bills-dallas-cowboys-wideout-speed-stefon-diggs-gabe-davis/article_2be15e86-99fc-11ee-94f0-db85ca288055.html

Mark Gaughan today (note the parenthetical final comment): “Davis has 39 catches, which is tied for 50th among wideouts. He has 595 yards, which is 39th. He’s a middle-of-the-pack No. 2 wideout. He was a good draft pick. He’s not someone who should get a second contract and a big pay raise from general manager Brandon Beane when his contract runs out after this season. (It’s not happening.)”

• Like (+1) 1

For all of my grousing about David and being ready to move on, if the Bills got him back in a 3 year, ~$5M per year with few guarantees and high incentives I would take a nibble AND the Bills do not see a better #2 WR replacement on the market. No need to create a hole.

But the Bills badly need an upgrade at WR 2 and Gabe isn't it. Given the NFL GMs tendencies to throw stupid money at WR2 contracts I suspect someone will get desperate.

8 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Let him walk and get the comp pick

Beane needs to adjust his roster building. Can't sign all these average guys to big deals. Good to see him let Edmunds and Singletary walk.

Now do the same with Davis. I've been a big supporter of him but they need to get better opposite Diggs. WR in first round is a must.

Any idea what his comp pick would be?  I can't ever seem to figure out how that's calculated.  The google says it's based off of contract, playing, time, and postseason honors.  If it's based off just the 13 seconds game, we should get a bunch of first round picks! 😜

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yeah, I'm thinking someone gives him 15 mil per based upon his size, speed, and flashes with the Bills.  I don't think I'd want him back for even 5m per.  He's never going to be our number one and I'd rather draft someone with that potential.  Maybe I can't forgive him for Philly, but it's moreso that he's don't nothing to stand out to me besides a few games here and there, and even then it's decent at best

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, 947 said:

I have a feeling his FA experience will be similar to Poyer's & he'll come back cheap. Teams will see that he had 3 games with 0 catches & 2 games with only 1 catch, and won't be offering $8M+.

But other teams aren't always smart with the contracts they offer. The Gabe Davis name may still have enough cache from the 13-second game that teams may not see that he's no more than a blocking receiver. Let's hope so, because I would say he's a net liability on this team, his blocking and locker-room presence outweighed by his unreliability as a pass catcher. 

Davis has a catch rate of 56.5% Shakir has an NFL-best catch rate of 83.9%. How many drives this season would have resulted in scores if Shakir had replaced Davis? How many more drives will Davis kill this season? 

People remember his handful of clutch plays, but they don't see that he's often just taking up space on the field, keeping a potentially more effective weapon on the bench. He's been doing this his whole career with the Bills, save for that small number of plays, which are due as much or more to Allen's perfect passes.

Since he became a starter, he's held back the Bills. Time to say goodbye. 

13 hours ago, NewEra said:

The current Gabe thread has me wondering what everyone else thinks.  So, what do you guys think?  

@Mr. WEO I’m interested in your thoughts.  You’re very animated in the other thread but I can’t tell where you really stand.  Go on record. If there is another voting option that would better suit your feelings, say the word and I’ll add it.  

I went with option 2-  I genuinely like Gabe and I think he has very good value as a WR4 and is an ok 3rd WR option (I don’t want him in the slot).  I feel he is lacking in speed/athleticism, route running/ separation, rac and contested catches.  He’s capable but just too inconsistent due to all of the above.

I appreciate his work ethic and I think his parents did a wonderful job raising him to be a great humans. 

Cool---another Davis thread!

Not sure where I stand?  On record you say?  You have a solid few hours of re-reading to do...lol

8 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Let him walk

Davis. I've been a big supporter of him but they need to get better opposite Diggs. WR in first round is a must.

This is where exactly I'm at.  As this season has worn on, I'm one of the last off the Davis bandwagon

Now watch him have a HUGE game on Dallas LOL

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

But why?  He’s not fast.  He’s not sudden.  He doesn’t get good separation.  Hes not an explosive leader.  He’s not good on contested catches.  He had zero broken tackles in 2022.  He has had a penchant for drops.   

🤷🏻‍♂️

He is a statistical outlier in many ways, he is not a #1 but he still has NFL record for most TDs in a playoff game. Last year he ended up the 32nd player in yards I believe despite being far behind in catches. He is willing to do the hard work needed to succeed, even if he is not beneficiary, and he is a great blocker. 

While I would have no issue with Davis coming back at the right price and with a diminished role, but ultimately that would not be good for either him or the team. I’m sure his agent will (correctly) steer him to a team where he can get playing time and have the opportunity to earn a bigger contract than what he would get this offseason (especially here). On the Bills side I can see potential for hard feelings and frustration. The locker room doesn’t need that. So I voted to not have him back. 

14 hours ago, NewEra said:

The current Gabe thread has me wondering what everyone else thinks.  So, what do you guys think?  

@Mr. WEO I’m interested in your thoughts.  You’re very animated in the other thread but I can’t tell where you really stand.  Go on record. If there is another voting option that would better suit your feelings, say the word and I’ll add it.  

I went with option 2-  I genuinely like Gabe and I think he has very good value as a WR4 and is an ok 3rd WR option (I don’t want him in the slot).  I feel he is lacking in speed/athleticism, route running/ separation, rac and contested catches.  He’s capable but just too inconsistent due to all of the above.

I appreciate his work ethic and I think his parents did a wonderful job raising him to be a great humans. 

Option #1 because Brandon Beane and McD seem to believe he is a good WR2 and for that reason, he needs to get jettisoned from this team so they can replace him with someone better.

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I see Panthers, Texans or Colts as the most likely destinations.

Try to maximize their weapons around the young QB with cap to burn. 

If they don’t do their homework, they will be scratching their head wondering why Gabe only has 800 yards as WR1.

14 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

I would only give Davis a one year prove-it contract.

Serious question.... prove it? 

Not being a jerk but he has "proved it". 

He's proved he has a limited:

Route tree

Limited speed, explosion, ability to separate, generate first downs, help Diggs see some regular coverages.

He can't catch. We might as well be 10 on 11 out there cause Josh's trust is rightfully gone in him.

What exactly is he good at?

Redzone firedrill TDs, we can call that a plus! What else does he do well? Is he replaceable to this offense?

Is his replacement on the team already, and cheaper/better? Shakir could be, but slot/outside problems come up there maybe....

Either way I'm letting him walk 100 of 100 times. He's a detriment to the team in so many ways. Sucks cause he seems cool, hard working, but I'm not crying over losing him.

Go draft the best WR (or maybe two) that you can lol to me that's a position we are going to need to constantly restock cupboards cheap.

Analogy for the kids:

Gabe is a WR, I'd say equal to a Doge Coin. Those are pretty worthless.

However, we have Josh Allen, he's like QB Elon Musk. Josh throws to a Dogecoin WR, they catch it. Welp, now that Elonnnnnn is talking about Doge, that thing is gunna pump, just like any WR that succeeds here, is gunna go get PAIDDDDD. Over-paid. 

We're going to lose a higher % of drafted weapons, after their first contract. We'll lock down #1s but we will be losing young weapons that you wish you could keep

Best to keep the WR factory running every year. Take some shots to go after another whale! Is the Trade up price lower in a year considered a deep WR draft? 

Have a conviction? Go get the guy. Take two in the early rounds If board falls right.

/rant

Edited by BillsShredder83
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Cool---another Davis thread!

Not sure where I stand?  On record you say?  You have a solid few hours of re-reading to do...lol

Sean Connery Villain GIF by James Bond 007

1 hour ago, Orlando Tim said:

He is a statistical outlier in many ways, he is not a #1 but he still has NFL record for most TDs in a playoff game. Last year he ended up the 32nd player in yards I believe despite being far behind in catches. He is willing to do the hard work needed to succeed, even if he is not beneficiary, and he is a great blocker. 

Timmy Smith has the all time Super Bowl record rushing record - 204 yards. 

one game means zilch imo.  

I get the rest though and that’s why I’d like to bring him back…..but with a contract that he wouldn’t be happy with.  6M or less sounds like his worth to me. 

56 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Option #1 because Brandon Beane and McD seem to believe he is a good WR2 and for that reason, he needs to get jettisoned from this team so they can replace him with someone better.

I see Panthers, Texans or Colts as the most likely destinations.

Try to maximize their weapons around the young QB with cap to burn. 

If they don’t do their homework, they will be scratching their head wondering why Gabe only has 800 yards as WR1.

He would never be a WR on any team in the league.  Ever. 

in Houston, he’d be WR3-4 for sure. 

In Indy, he’d be most likely WR3-4

in Carolina, he’d be QB1

I like Gabe, and you just never know when his completely uncoverable, unstoppable alter ego Gabe F-ing Davis will show up and catch everything in his vicinity. 

The thing is, he probably doesn't see himself as a WR3 and will expect WR2 money, at the least. I just don't think he's played consistently enough to pay him solid WR 2 $ but some team will most likely.

It'll be time to move on this offseason, unfortunately. 

• Agree 1

I'd move on completely.

Maybe he has more to show in the NFL, but he's cooked in Buffalo.

Either way, there isn't a contract that really makes sense. Gabe has been playing on a very team friendly number. He's fixing for a raise. But we're barely holding on with the current price tag.

Time for him to find a team that locks in on the Romo "big game Gabe" narrative and pays him to help steady a young QB. I don't have a ton of confidence he "catches on" in that role. 

Imo he's best suited to a run heavy team where he's almost TE-ish, doing alot of blocking and then slip out into routes when there are soft zones or open field, as well as obviously running one of his 2-3 good routes when they need him to get vertical.

Seems like a great dude, works hard, ok with not getting the flowers. Just his time has come to an end in buffalo.

I'm not real sure where Gabe would fit in the monetary scheme of things . At times the guy is just pure money couldn't drop a pass if he wanted to then there are the other times that he never even shows up on the chart for entire games .

I'm not sure if that is because of the game plan those weeks or what the deal is . I thought after the game where he went off in the slot that they might use him there more because they found his spot but that's not been the case .

So i'm not sure but i think Beane & company may watch him walk out the door because there will be others coming out this season that will have a higher upside than Gabe has been able to put on the field with any consistency .

I think he is a Bills type player but he's just not there as much as they need him to be ...

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yeah if he doesn't get AT LEAST $10M aav over 3 years then the league is saying they think he REALLY sucks.

Alan Lazard got 4 years $44M in a deeper free agent class last year and I can't imagine he was seen as a better option than Gabe will be this year.

If anything,  I think the demand for WR talent has only grown.    Offensive numbers may be down but WR have never been bigger difference makers than this season. 

I don't want Gabe back for anywhere near what he is going to get but they are going to have a hard time filling his role as a WR3-4 type with as good or better of a veteran UFA because there aren't nearly enough to go around.

• Agree 2

I'd give him Harty's money next year, but he'll likely get paid more than that elsewhere, and honestly he'd probably feel like it's a slap in the face.  

We'll see how the rest of the season plays out, but it truly seems like Allen doesn't trust him at this point.  

I'm to the point where I'd almost rather see what Harty can do out there with his speed, even if a bit diminished from injuries over the years.  We need somebody out there to stress the defense and open things up for Diggs.. and Davis doesn't seem to be doing that at the moment.  

Take the money you had in mind for Gabe before the season started and give some of it to Epenesa.  Then double dip on WR's early in the draft.  

Every WR drops balls, including Diggs, who has several this season.  Davis is a great run blocker, a hard worker, and a team-first guy.  He's stepped up in many big moments over the years.  If the Bills can keep him at a reasonable salary, I'm good with him staying on.  That said, his big games on national TV (including the most recent Eagles game and multiple playoff games) have earned him a reputation and some team out there will pay him more than the Bills are offering, so he'll likely move on.  I could see him signing with one of the teams that he's played well against.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.