Gabe Davis- Do you want him back and for how much $

NewEra

Do you want to resign Gabe Davis- If so, how much should we pay him?  

408 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Gabe Davis back? If so, for how much $?

• No- I don’t want him back- I’m over him.
    • Yes- but as a WR3-5 and under 5M aav
    • Yes- He’s an average WR2- I’d pay him 5-9M aav
    • Yes- He’s a good WR2- I’d pay him 9m+ aav

The current Gabe thread has me wondering what everyone else thinks.  So, what do you guys think?  

@Mr. WEO I’m interested in your thoughts.  You’re very animated in the other thread but I can’t tell where you really stand.  Go on record. If there is another voting option that would better suit your feelings, say the word and I’ll add it.  

I went with option 2-  I genuinely like Gabe and I think he has very good value as a WR4 and is an ok 3rd WR option (I don’t want him in the slot).  I feel he is lacking in speed/athleticism, route running/ separation, rac and contested catches.  He’s capable but just too inconsistent due to all of the above.

I appreciate his work ethic and I think his parents did a wonderful job raising him to be a great humans. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I picked the 3rd option for the contract value. A middle to low end WR2/3 type guy is starting to see in the 11M/yr range (see Lazard). That's where I see Gabe ultimately landing. 

I would take him back at a slightly lower value. The $8-9M range and I would be ok with that for all the different roles he can play on offense. 

However, I do think if he hits open market his rate will sky rocket and someone will make the mistake of overpaying in the $12-$15M range. That's too much for me.

• Like (+1) 1

I voted 2. But I’m changing to letting him walk. He’ll be more valuable as a comp pick. Nothing wrong with it. He had immediate production as a rookie. Had an epic performance in playoffs. Good production for a 4th rd pick. He’s nothing special. And he’s only going downhill athletically at this point 

• Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Yes. Between $6.5-8mm I don't think would be that bad. Would prefer $5.5-6mm.

I think he can command more than that and prior to this season would have taken less to stay knowing he fits in here. This year he seems off page for the rest of the team. 

He will end up another Bobby Trees type dude.

Woods 203/2451 - 57 games

Davis 157/2579 - 60 games

Edited by boyst

Capable of big games just inconsistent. Seems to get a lot of praise as a blocker and someone doing the little, unnoticed things on offense, team player and a captain so there are qualities there the staff certainly admire. 

But is he just too inconsistent? Has a big game then disappears for a bit. Couple picks this year have bounced off his hands, he's had some drops. It's not like he's a liability week in and week out, just feels like his goofs come at bad times. 

Honestly, I suspect some other team with the cap space and a need at receiver will overpay him a bit and he'll be elsewhere for 2024. 

I'd re-sign him at a fair value which, I think Beane may offer, but I think another team will see something there and think they can get him to that next level. Will he? I dunno. 

Edited by blacklabel

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.