Gabe Davis- Do you want him back and for how much $

NewEra

Do you want to resign Gabe Davis- If so, how much should we pay him?  

408 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Gabe Davis back? If so, for how much $?

• No- I don’t want him back- I’m over him.
    • Yes- but as a WR3-5 and under 5M aav
    • Yes- He’s an average WR2- I’d pay him 5-9M aav
    • Yes- He’s a good WR2- I’d pay him 9m+ aav

Nope, he can go. 

Get a better athlete in here that can actually separate. 

The Bills need to double down on WR this offseason. 

No Shakir can't be a #2, no Dalton Kincaid should not be the #2 target in this offense, yes you should plan for Stefon Diggs physical decline before he falls off a cliff, yes that means you take a WR in Round 1, yes that means you explore a George Pickens trade in the offseason. 

Our weapons are AVERAGE. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Nope, he can go. 

Get a better athlete in here that can actually separate. 

The Bills need to double down on WR this offseason. 

No Shakir can't be a #2, no Dalton Kincaid should not be the #2 target in this offense, yes you should plan for Stefon Diggs physical decline before he falls off a cliff, yes that means you take a WR in Round 1, yes that means you explore a George Pickens trade in the offseason. 

Our weapons are AVERAGE. 

Trade or draft could be cheapest route. There are not a ton of free agents this year either so good year to be a free agent WR. Biggest names are Evans, Pittman, Higgins, OBJ, Ridley, Davis. The next level are guys like Boyd, Samuel, Osborn, Bourne, Mooney, Chark. 

3 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Serious question.... prove it? 

Not being a jerk but he has "proved it". 

He's proved he has a limited:

Route tree

Limited speed, explosion, ability to separate, generate first downs, help Diggs see some regular coverages.

He can't catch. We might as well be 10 on 11 out there cause Josh's trust is rightfully gone in him.

What exactly is he good at?

Redzone firedrill TDs, we can call that a plus! What else does he do well? Is he replaceable to this offense?

Is his replacement on the team already, and cheaper/better? Shakir could be, but slot/outside problems come up there maybe....

Either way I'm letting him walk 100 of 100 times. He's a detriment to the team in so many ways. Sucks cause he seems cool, hard working, but I'm not crying over losing him.

Go draft the best WR (or maybe two) that you can lol to me that's a position we are going to need to constantly restock cupboards cheap.

Analogy for the kids:

Gabe is a WR, I'd say equal to a Doge Coin. Those are pretty worthless.

However, we have Josh Allen, he's like QB Elon Musk. Josh throws to a Dogecoin WR, they catch it. Welp, now that Elonnnnnn is talking about Doge, that thing is gunna pump, just like any WR that succeeds here, is gunna go get PAIDDDDD. Over-paid. 

We're going to lose a higher % of drafted weapons, after their first contract. We'll lock down #1s but we will be losing young weapons that you wish you could keep

Best to keep the WR factory running every year. Take some shots to go after another whale! Is the Trade up price lower in a year considered a deep WR draft? 

Have a conviction? Go get the guy. Take two in the early rounds If board falls right.

/rant

I said I would ONLY give him that. Any other kind of contract? Forget it.

2 hours ago, Airseven said:

Should've just bumped the August thread where the board called for a Davis extension before he priced himself out of the market with a great season.

Thanks for the advice.  I’ll be sure to take your advice on something 

Will Do Episode 2 GIF by The Office

14 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Really?? Even before this season I found that popular prognostication hard to believe, and now...

The Chiefs gave $10M AAV to MVS. I am certain that is Davis's ceiling. My guess is 3 years $30M but with an easy out after year 2. I'll guess the Ravens as his next team. A blocking WR fits their team.

Totally agree.  His Spotrac Market Value is $13.5M per but his tape the last 2 years is going to drag that down.

I know there is a lot of Gabe hate here for him, but he is at worse a bottom level WR2.

given what we pay knox, and how much of a total upgrade dalton is his first year, gabe would have a place on the roster for 8-10 a year.

i'd like to get better at the position, but unless we are spending a top 2 round pick, or going out and getting someone proven (which will cost more) then our history tells me we won't be doing that.

if he lights it up in the playoffs, then you keep him just for that.  ow, i'd want to move on.

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

Sean Connery Villain GIF by James Bond 007

Timmy Smith has the all time Super Bowl record rushing record - 204 yards. 

one game means zich 

Gabe though has many good games(100+ yds)  and is top 5 in current players in playoff TD catches. He is average with a chance at great a few times a season. 

On 12/13/2023 at 6:57 PM, NewEra said:

The current Gabe thread has me wondering what everyone else thinks.  So, what do you guys think?  

@Mr. WEO I’m interested in your thoughts.  You’re very animated in the other thread but I can’t tell where you really stand.  Go on record. If there is another voting option that would better suit your feelings, say the word and I’ll add it.  

I went with option 2-  I genuinely like Gabe and I think he has very good value as a WR4 and is an ok 3rd WR option (I don’t want him in the slot).  I feel he is lacking in speed/athleticism, route running/ separation, rac and contested catches.  He’s capable but just too inconsistent due to all of the above.

I appreciate his work ethic and I think his parents did a wonderful job raising him to be a great humans. 

Whoa its like you said you like him but he's lacking in every single attribute that's required for a receiver to be good.

I'd think there's gotta be low cost option that can catch and separate better than Gabe.   I would not mind your scenario but we can do better. 

Edited by L Ron Burgundy
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

Whoa its like you said you like him but he's lacking in every single attribute that's required for a receiver to be good.

I'd think there's gotta be low cost option that can catch and separate better than Gabe.   I would not mind your scenario but we can do better. 

I like the person and the hard worker.  I think he will continue to improve in many aspects of playing the position- I’m just not a fan of his athletic ability 

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, MarkyMannn said:

This is where exactly I'm at.  As this season has worn on, I'm one of the last off the Davis bandwagon

Now watch him have a HUGE game on Dallas LOL

Thats actually possible.  Thats what Davis does... he has a big game here and there and then disappears.  I head on some video, don't remember which that Dallas likes to run a lot of Cover 1 and that Diggs isn't so good against cover 1 but Davis is really good against it.  I dunno if any of that is true or not but I remember hearing it.

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah if he doesn't get AT LEAST $10M aav over 3 years then the league is saying they think he REALLY sucks.

Alan Lazard got 4 years $44M in a deeper free agent class last year and I can't imagine he was seen as a better option than Gabe will be this year.

If anything,  I think the demand for WR talent has only grown.    Offensive numbers may be down but WR have never been bigger difference makers than this season. 

I don't want Gabe back for anywhere near what he is going to get but they are going to have a hard time filling his role as a WR3-4 type with as good or better of a veteran UFA because there aren't nearly enough to go around.

i wonder what it would be like if the Bills dedicated the 24 draft primarily to blockers and wide receivers. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I would say to move on.   The three or four big games a year are not enough to offset the other games where he is a complete non-factor.  

He is going to look for starting WR money, and the Bills are going to be in cap trouble.   With the way that Davis is playing, production from a young player like Shakir or a veteran on a small contract would most likely be better or equal at worse.  

I have nothing against Gabe.   He had a great start to his career and showed enough for Buffalo to give him a look at a #2 option.  He was not quite at that level and it didn't work out.   If he doesn't get hurt, he still has a few years  ahead of him as a #3 or #4 option with potential for a handful of big plays a year.   Not a bad career for a 4th round pick.

Edited by dgrochester55

23 minutes ago, Irv said:

Buh Bye.  We've let way better players go and not missed them - Woods, Zay are a couple examples.  

I don't think we should hold onto Gabe Davis but saying Zay Jones is better than Davis is a hell of a statement. Given the choice I'd take Davis every time. 

Just now, Bruffalo said:

I don't think we should hold onto Gabe Davis but saying Zay Jones is better than Davis is a hell of a statement. Given the choice I'd take Davis every time. 

It’s close.  What has Gabe done the last couple of games?  He could be replaced by a broom. 

1 minute ago, Irv said:

It’s close.  What has Gabe done the last couple of games?  He could be replaced by a broom. 

Career wise though it's not.  Gabe has less receptions but around the same yards, and way more touchdowns. Davis is also praised as a great blocker and Jones is not. 

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

i wonder what it would be like if the Bills dedicated the 24 draft primarily to blockers and wide receivers. 

Yeah those appear to be positions of strength.    A lot of OT's considered draft-able and a ton of WR's.   But I suspect the WR's will go faster than people expect because now everyone knows you need 3-4 very good receiving targets/offensive weapons to expect to win.    Teams with a high volume of playmakers are making modestly talented QB's look like guys who you can win a SB with.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.