Gabe Davis- Do you want him back and for how much $

NewEra

Do you want to resign Gabe Davis- If so, how much should we pay him?  

408 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Gabe Davis back? If so, for how much $?

• No- I don’t want him back- I’m over him.
    • Yes- but as a WR3-5 and under 5M aav
    • Yes- He’s an average WR2- I’d pay him 5-9M aav
    • Yes- He’s a good WR2- I’d pay him 9m+ aav

11 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

If you bring him back, then draft a wide receiver in the first round

With any kind of luck, the draft will push Gabe Davis to the third wr

I don’t think this is an option.  Our resources are limited this offseason.  We can’t afford to spend the money on Davis and our top offseason asset on the same position.

unless we can get gabe for a bargain contract- I’d pass on him and use the 1st on a WR.  Spend the money on Edge and DT.  The majority of our DL are FA.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

If you can re sign him for 5-9 million you do, that's nothing for a wr these days

The problem is he is going to get closer to 16-20 per from a desperate team 

I don't think he comes anywhere CLOSE to that.

Draft is deep at WR. The FA market right now is projected deep at WR. Teams won't have to overspend on middle of the road WRs. I think he comes in right about at the Allen Lazard level contract. At the $11M-ish level I wouldn't bring him back...but I bet Brandon Beane does.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

I don’t think this is an option.  Our resources are limited this offseason.  We can’t afford to spend the money on Davis and our top offseason asset on the same position.

unless we can get gabe for a bargain contract- I’d pass on him and use the 1st on a WR.  Spend the money on Edge and DT.  The majority of our DL are FA.  

I think that’s the most likely option however I feel that some of those guys on the DL are coming back on cheap contracts. Floyd is the only concern I have in terms of retention and dollars for that. 

What happens if there’s a massive run on WRs again like last year? Do they then dip into defense again?

16 minutes ago, BBFL said:

I think that’s the most likely option however I feel that some of those guys on the DL are coming back on cheap contracts. Floyd is the only concern I have in terms of retention and dollars for that. 

What happens if there’s a massive run on WRs again like last year? Do they then dip into defense again?

🤷🏻‍♂️ - but I don’t think we do both.  

I also think this years WR class is much better.  Better high end talent as well as better options late rd 1 into rd 2

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

If you can re sign him for 5-9 million you do, that's nothing for a wr these days

I find this hard to believe…It’s not like he has untapped potential, due to athletic ability…Davis has basically reached his ceiling as an unreliable, unathletic #3/#4 receiver…

No smart team would pay him #2 money…They would sooner take their chances on an upgrade WR in the draft…👍

As for the Bills, the mentality of our front office should be to draft a #2 receiver, that they see as a potential replacement for Diggs…That is not Davis…

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1

image.thumb.png.3d74cdc68fe34f8df440c343a2682e0d.png

This is how I see it. Orange, I would take over Gabe.

Green, is basically two #1's.

Red, these teams just don't have legitimate WR cores and they're bad teams. We could say, sure, see, Gabe is better than these, but being better than the worst isn't how we become better.

Gabe has an average depth of target and catch% as a result of his ADOT that is among the worst in football. It makes him a one trick pony. If we had the other ingredients like a big body possession WR with a very low ADOT perhaps his profile would balance it out. But we don't have that. Keeping Gabe has prevented us from developing a WR core that is more diverse. It's a big part of what leads to our inconsistency. Perhaps another team will pay for Gabe's skill set. That shouldn't be our concern, he is unquestionably holding us back by being slotted in as a starter which has prevented us from upgrading.    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

7 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

I find this hard to believe…It’s not like he has untapped potential, due to athletic ability…Davis has basically reached his ceiling as an unreliable, unathletic #3/#4 receiver…

No smart team would pay him #2 money…They would sooner take their chances on an upgrade WR in the draft…👍

As for the Bills, the mentality of our front office should be to draft a #2 receiver, that they see as a potential replacement for Diggs…That is not Davis…

A lot of dumb teams out there

He will sign a contract for that money but could very well never see it in my opinion 

A team will structure his contract as a 3 or 4 year deal at 60ish but the guaranteed will be about 20 or less and really be just a two year deal. Which I honestly think a good amount of teams will line up to offer

Gabe coming off his first contract where he put up alright numbers is young enough where he will be looking to max his potential in my opinion which will lead to a low guarantee but a large total contract 

39 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

A lot of dumb teams out there

He will sign a contract for that money but could very well never see it in my opinion 

A team will structure his contract as a 3 or 4 year deal at 60ish but the guaranteed will be about 20 or less and really be just a two year deal. Which I honestly think a good amount of teams will line up to offer

Gabe coming off his first contract where he put up alright numbers is young enough where he will be looking to max his potential in my opinion which will lead to a low guarantee but a large total contract 

Gabe has been prepared each season working out and studying.   He has intelligent advisors.  He will not accept a contract which is for a fool as you describe sacrificing guaranteed for potential big money. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/gabriel-davis-47723/market-value/

Spottrac has him at 13.5 a year simply for his receiving ability, and his blocking has real value. If he signs for less than $50 million total I would surprised unless Buffalo wins the SB and he takes $40 for 4 years so he can keep winning 

I see Kincaid as the WR2 in this offense, split with James Cook.  I assume the Bills will move Shakir up in the depth chart and then draft a speedy WR especially to stretch the defense. 

The Bills still have significant weapons on offense and are unable to use them to their advantage.

On 12/25/2023 at 8:44 AM, Cheektowaga Chad said:

God Bless America! if he gets close to 16-20 million. I see him getting like a 2 year deal for 20-24 million. 

Gabe is on pace for his best season yet, despite not being a part of the offense 30% of games, sans blocking.

He's 800 yards and 7 TDs a year.

I'm not sure what market value is there, but who knows, maybe there is a team out there that wants to showcase him as a #1?

Diggs and Davis's stats over there first 4 seasons aren't all that different.

On 12/25/2023 at 3:31 PM, Mikie2times said:

image.thumb.png.3d74cdc68fe34f8df440c343a2682e0d.png

This is how I see it. Orange, I would take over Gabe.

Green, is basically two #1's.

Red, these teams just don't have legitimate WR cores and they're bad teams. We could say, sure, see, Gabe is better than these, but being better than the worst isn't how we become better.

Gabe has an average depth of target and catch% as a result of his ADOT that is among the worst in football. It makes him a one trick pony. If we had the other ingredients like a big body possession WR with a very low ADOT perhaps his profile would balance it out. But we don't have that. Keeping Gabe has prevented us from developing a WR core that is more diverse. It's a big part of what leads to our inconsistency. Perhaps another team will pay for Gabe's skill set. That shouldn't be our concern, he is unquestionably holding us back by being slotted in as a starter which has prevented us from upgrading.    

This kinda put into perspective how relatively good he is compared to most WR2s for me. I think I'd probably only take 10 of the other WR2s you listed over Davis.

At any rate, we need to start cutting costs somewhere and this might be one of the places that we unfortunately do. If we can bring him back on a bargain contract, I'd gladly take him (and while I think he COULD get a big contract, I think there's also serious risk that a lot of free agent WRs, himself included, end up stuck with a disappointing contract due to how strong the draft is and how many good free agent WRs there will likely be this offseason).

I want to go WR in Round 1 or 2 if at all possible in the draft and hopefully give us another option, but having Gabe as a cheap #3 would be nice.

• 3 weeks later...

Well. Monday’s game will decide it. If KS shows his stuff well, he will likely be our #2 going forward. 
Cap issues are front and center. Unless Gabe takes a homer, which I personally wouldn’t, we’ll go with the 3rd rookie contract. 

Edited by Brian Higgins hair

15 minutes ago, Brian Higgins hair said:

Well. Monday’s game will decide it. If KS shows his stuff well, he will likely be our #2 going forward. 
Cap issues are front and center. Unless Gabe takes a homer, which I personally wouldn’t, we’ll go with the 3rd rookie contract. 

You think??  Seems KS is a better slot guy than a #2.  I can see it being like it was 3 or 4 years ago.  Beasley was the slot guy, not the #2, but had more receptions and many more targets than the #2 WR.

That brings up what do you do with Davis.  I'd like to see him brought back mainly for his blocking abilities assuming he takes a number representative of what he's done.  I would then draft a true WR in the 1st or 2nd round.  Think that would especially help if replacing the #2 WR with a rookie, when need blocking, bring in Davis and even early in year let Davis play more

Davis is then the $4 WR or moves up in case on injury to someone.  I'd also then look to sign someone who's a good return guy to take Hardy's place, maybe it's Hines on a cheaper deal, that would allow the Bills to then release both Hardy and Shefeld   WR group is then Diggs, rookie, KS, Davis, Shorter, and maybe someone like an Isabella as a PS callup when needed or they sign someone else too.

We need a #2 who can take the top off of defenses, Diggs is our #1, #2 should be a speed merchant, slot should be a great possession receiver with great awareness of field positions and the line to gain.

On 12/27/2023 at 9:28 AM, Buffaloflash said:

Whatever money Harty, Dotson and Sherfield gets, give it up to keep Gabe.

50% of Gabe's problem is Josh. And, the rest is on him. All our receivers are having a problem holding on to the ball this year.

That post most certainly didn't age well.🫢

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.