John Clayton died today.

Arkady Renko

John Clayton was my favorite segment on WGR every week and an absolute staple on ESPN for years and years. It always amazed me that he gave us his time every week on local Buffalo radio even when the Bills sucked. I know he got paid for it, but you could always tell he wasn't really doing it just for the money. This man loved football. He was a smart, funny, self-deprecating and incredibly knowledgeable. He was a nerd's nerd, who was also respected by all the jocks. He was both entertaining and thoughtful and I am truly sorry to see him go. What a legend!

RIP

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Arkady Renko said:

Sad.  Always liked him. 

He was adamant that Russell Wilson was never getting traded, i was shocked to not hear him when Russell was, must have had health problems. RIP John 😢

3 hours ago, Dr. Football said:

john clayton slayer GIF by ADWEEK
One of my favorite commercials. R.I.P. John Clayton 😢 

Definitely. Wonder if he really liked Metal ?

Wow. How sad! I rrally used to enjoy his Schopp and Bulldog segments. Not because he was super knowledgable but because he was nice and polite and they could literally throw anything at him and he would try and answer it. They were funny and awkward in equal measure at times. As has already been referred to I think his wife is quite ill and has been for a while. My thoughts are with her. 

RIP.  I can’t say I was a “huge” fan but there’s no doubt that at one time he was THE insider for ESPN.

I’m curious as to what the “brief illness” was.  He didn’t look the picture of health but 67 is too young.

His “This is SportsCenter” commercial is one of the best in that series.

A lot of great tributes here, I have nothing to add to those, but, WOW! surprising and sad news.

It says much about a person when everyone was their friend. A true professional who was also a genuinely good human being. He will be missed.

Edited by CSBill
  • Agree 1

This left me stunned.  For me he was great in a way I didn't sometimes think of him, but somehow felt like he was always going to be there.  A constant good thing if you will, like the sun or local pizza.

RIP and thank you.  You'll be missed, John.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

oh no, I lost a friend, somehow a lot us of connected with John, not the most colorful or flamboyant espn personality mind you but somepne who had enough info, credibility, insights and personality to continue to be a person of relevance, sorry to hear he passed at age 67...life is indeed short, going to miss you John, thanks for the great job you did even after leaving espn, may you rest in peace and give us that quirky-nerdy smile when we remember you in the years to come...

• Agree 1

Clayton was born in Braddock, Pennsylvania, outside Pittsburgh, in 1954.

He began covering the Pittsburgh Steelers while in high school in 1972, the year of Franco Harris’ Immaculate Reception. It was said that in the chaos of the Pittsburgh press box — the Steelers had never won a playoff game — that Clayton approached an NFL official and asked to see a replay because he wanted to make sure the play was legal.

R.I.P. Professor.

12 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Wow… very sad.  I know that Clayton has a wife with some very serious medical issues.  I believe she is wheel chair bound.  They never had kids - Makes me wonder who will take care of her 

https://en.memesrandom.com/john-clayton-wife/

11 hours ago, freddyjj said:

RIP John.  A gentleman in a profession sorely lacking in them.  

1 hour ago, Rico said:

RIP Great Gazoo. Don’t remember him saying any nice things about the Bills on ESPN, but then again I never heard him on the local radio

He really didn’t, until a few years ago.  He was always down on the team on Schopp and Bulldog but to be fair, those teams were usually train wrecks.

Once Josh turned the corner, he was more complimentary but it was clear his focus was more on the national scene and the Seattle beat.  He never followed Buffalo too closely

30 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Yeah MS.  She had some major physical and health needs.  I think John was her primary care taker.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

RIP John Clayton.  I would catch his segments with Schopp and Bulldog whenever I was in the car on Thursday evenings.  After talking about all of the NFL and Bills storylines a lot of times at the end of the call when things were wrapping up he would ask the guys how things were going with the Sabres as well.  All around solid sports guy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.