Christian McCaffrey rumors

Steel City Mafia

Didn't we inquire earlier this year and Carolina was asking too much? 

I'm definitely on the fence for this.

Pro: If a 3rd gets it done, im listening. In perspective we spent a 3rd on moss, if moss had 1 season that was even half as good as a healthy cmc I don't think any of us would be complaining. And honestly have any of us lost sleep on burning that 3rd on moss?

Con: a 3rd probably doesnt do it, and it's probably a 1 year rental, it's a hail Mary for a SB run. And if the bills don't win a SB which is incredibly hard to do, this is an L of a trade.

Pro: when healthy there's no denying he is one of, if not the best rb in the nfl

Con: hasn't stayed healthy

At this point i guess ill trust in Beane.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Recall how when the Bills signed Von Miller,not a word was mentioned in the press before it happened.  There were articles about how that's the way Beane operates.

Makes me very suspicious about this whole thing having any truth to it.

Sort of. But there were reports that we were going big game hunting on D in FA.  Not specific to Miller, to be sure, but those reports were right. 

If something like this happens, I think it's Buffalo's way of strengthening it's WR core. Josh has really developed is ability to check down which was something that hurt him bad early on. We did nearly everything to land a pass catching RB and then we drafted one. Results on that one aren't in, but the depth at WR is and it's not where we want to be. He can do a lot of creating of things for us. We will see. I would be in favor of it because I truly think this a super bowl year. The last couple years it felt like we could threaten, this feels year it feels like we are the threat and yes, these type of acquisitions can do a lot to get you over the finish line. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, mjt328 said:

I would like to get some clarification on his contract.  This is what Spotrac says:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/christian-mccaffrey-21749/

There are some on Twitter stating that we would only be taking on a $600K cap hit in 2022, and then could cut him with no dead cap in 2023.  Based on my understanding of contracts, I don't see where that is coming from.

His long-term cap hit is probably a bigger deal to the Bills, even more than giving up a high draft pick.  

I don't know if anyone answered this, but I looked ahead a few pages and didn't see anything.

Here's from how I understand it: when Carolina paid the signing, restructure and workout bonuses, those all kicked in. The signing and restructure become prorated. In short, if they move on from him, they eat that money. They are the ones on the hook for it, which is why they want a high draft pick to counteract having to pay for a player who is no longer there.

With Carolina paying the signing bonus, all that is left on the books in unguaranteed salary. Maybe he is willing to take it in a lump sum for another signing bonus. But this will undoubtedly play into Carolina's asking price.

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

But I heard about it in my High Level Meetings!?!

"Too much" crowd - under a million. Can cut him after trophy

"Too much" crowd - I want Lombardi, we draft well enough to be fine missing a pick. Draft well, you can afford to do this on occasion, and we haven't

"Injury prone" - dudes presence even on minimal carries, further opens things for Diggs/Davis

"A RB doesn't move the needle" - you're wrong. But he's an extra WR too. I can't imagine a scenario we could've or would need another of those 🙄

.... then there's a bunch of weirdos that shoot stuff like this down. They'd rather be right, for clout they won't get. I got nothing for them.

• Agree 2

[This is an automated response]

The topic title is potentially misleading. Accurate titles help the community find topics relevant to their interests and avoids reader frustration. Please change the topic title to more accurately reflect content of the original post.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

• Simon changed the title to [Misleading Title]
1 hour ago, BillsShredder83 said:

"Too much" crowd - I want Lombardi, we draft well enough to be fine missing a pick. Draft well, you can afford to do this on occasion, and we haven't

"Injury prone" - dudes presence even on minimal carries, further opens things for Diggs/Davis

"A RB doesn't move the needle" - you're wrong. But he's an extra WR too. I can't imagine a scenario we could've or would need another of those 🙄

.... then there's a bunch of weirdos that shoot stuff like this down. They'd rather be right, for clout they won't get. I got nothing for them.

I agree with the "rb doesn't move the needle" being wrong, it absolutely does. How many dumpoffs has Singletary already gotten this year? A healthy cmc is the most dangerous dumpoff man in the nfl. He makes defenses adjust. He's the weapon josh deserves.

That being said I'm not all in on a trade for cmc if it's more than a 3rd. And I really wanna see the potential in cook this year.

12 minutes ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

I agree with the "rb doesn't move the needle" being wrong, it absolutely does. How many dumpoffs has Singletary already gotten this year? A healthy cmc is the most dangerous dumpoff man in the nfl. He makes defenses adjust. He's the weapon josh deserves.

That being said I'm not all in on a trade for cmc if it's more than a 3rd. And I really wanna see the potential in cook this year.

The most dangerous dumpoff man in the NFL? Not according to his yards per reception or the fact that his longest career reception is 37 yards back when he was a rookie.

3 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

I thought that on a trade that the trading team is only on the hook for bonuses already paid, not future bonuses. I cant seem to find much clear info on this.

So that’s true, but the thing to understand is that the bonuses you see split out over several years on sites like Spotrac ARE already paid if the split-up part has equal payments including this year.

They’re just divided up into several years for bookkeeping purposes with the cap, a process called “amortization”

Lemme see if I can find an example - here, Stefon Diggs

Stefon Diggs was paid a $21.5M signing bonus with his new contract this offseason.  This has been divided up into $4.3M chunks spread over 5 years for Bills salary cap purposes.  But every one of those $21.5M is already sitting in Mr Diggs pocket.  

Stefon Diggs is due an option bonus of $16M next season, 2023.  That will get paid to him up front at the start of the new league year, but is divided up into $3.2M chunks spread over 5 years for salary cap purposes.

If the Bills were (avert!) to trade “HIM” before the start of the 2023 new year, his new team would be on the hook for the $16M option bonus, but the Bills would be on the hook for the remaining portions of the $21.5M signing bonus that’s already paid and it would all accelerate onto the cap for next year.

Does that help?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

The realistic crowd…

Another team will make an offer of draft picks the Bills can’t match 

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

So that’s true, but the thing to understand is that the bonuses you see split out over several years on sites like Spotrac ARE already paid if the split-up part has equal payments including this year.

They’re just divided up into several years for bookkeeping purposes with the cap, a process called “amortization”

Lemme see if I can find an example - here, Stefon Diggs

Stefon Diggs was paid a $21.5M signing bonus with his new contract this offseason.  This has been divided up into $4.3M chunks spread over 5 years for Bills salary cap purposes.  But every one of those $21.5M is already sitting in Mr Diggs pocket.  

Stefon Diggs is due an option bonus of $16M next season, 2023.  That will get paid to him up front at the start of the new league year, but is divided up into $3.2M chunks spread over 5 years for salary cap purposes.

If the Bills were (avert!) to trade “HIM” before the start of the 2023 new year, his new team would be on the hook for the $16M option bonus, but the Bills would be on the hook for the remaining portions of the $21.5M signing bonus that’s already paid and it would all accelerate onto the cap for next year.

Does that help?

What a hap pening it would be if the trade were to go down.

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I give up a second for him

Im not going higher than a 3rd for a one year rental. 

If he restructures, then I’d consider it. 

People like to use Von/LA as an example of “going for it”, but they wouldn’t be the comparison.   They envisioned re-signing Von for more than one run and are now in team building hell due to the other moves they made.  

KC more comes to mind when they traded for Ingram last year.  

7 hours ago, FireChans said:

@Alphadawg7 tell Beane that Singletary rules and there’s no need to do this! Lmao

Nice job trying to call me out about something that didn't even happen and about something I never said.  Another stellar performance by you.  Like I said earlier...you really need a new schtick.  

1 hour ago, without a drought said:

The most dangerous dumpoff man in the NFL? Not according to his yards per reception or the fact that his longest career reception is 37 yards back when he was a rookie.

how dare you bring facts and stats to this politically based player personnel discussion.

• Haha (+1) 1

With the depth we have everywhere - our first round picks in 23 AND 24 should be on the table.

For the right player (I'm thinking like an Aaron Donald type trench game changer of game changers like plan the parade) 

Now in no way do I think that's realistic.  I want to make serious proposals that would bring back serious return like Aaron Donald.  I'm not saying I'd do that but I think Beane should definitely at least check in on that sinking ship who's coach is about to step down and head to the TV booth and see if maybe an Aaron Donald like player is available.  

Edited by Big Blitz

2 hours ago, without a drought said:

Teams game plan around him.  The Panthers offense is absolute garbage after him.  Put him on a team with weapons and his stats will be great.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Nice job trying to call me out about something that didn't even happen and about something I never said.  Another stellar performance by you.  Like I said earlier...you really need a new schtick.  

Are you still thinking about me

13 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

Legit Ogs? Never heard of him, what position does he play?

Ooo so cute. Legit Offensive Guards. Is that really that hard to figure out? 

12 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

So that Panthers reached out to us then

Panthers said NOPE. 

14 hours ago, FireChans said:

Because we are not loaded at RB lmao

We could have McCaffrey, Derrick Henry and Saquon Barkley and none of them would average more than 3yrds/carry with our run blocking.  

This is such a stupid trade if they were to make it.   Give me an offensive guard that can create running lanes and get some push downfield.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, Lost said:

We could have McCaffrey, Derrick Henry and Saquon Barkley and none of them would average more than 3yrds/carry with our run blocking.  

This is such a stupid trade if they were to make it.   Give me an offensive guard that can create running lanes and get some push downfield.

Panthers and Giants have crappy OLs, some would say worse than ours, and CMC and Barkley are still putting up numbers.

Yes our OL can be improved, but so can our RBs who have poor instincts, poor vision, and do not find/hit the holes that are there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Lost said:

Singletary is averaging 4.3 ypc right now...

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Singletary is averaging 4.3 ypc right now...

So our running game is okay then?  

I see it almost entirely as a blocking/playcalling problem.  Almost all of our no gain runs from Moss/Singletary are because there is literally a defender with hands on them within 200ms of them getting the ball.   They aren't even getting opportunity to create something on a lot of those plays.  

Also from an health perspective.  RB is the least injury prone position on our team while OL has been banged up.   Guard would just be a better trade investment IMO.

15 minutes ago, Lost said:

Yeah, because there are so many teams just selling off quality offensive linemen.  

O-Line play is correlated with RB play, but the top guys like CMC outperform their respective lines despite having subpar QB play. 

He's so much more talented than what we have in the backfield.

2 minutes ago, Lost said:

So our running game is okay then?  

I see it almost entirely as a blocking/playcalling problem.  Almost all of our no gain runs from Moss/Singletary are because there is literally a defender with hands on them within 200ms of them getting the ball.   They aren't even getting opportunity to create something on a lot of those plays.  

Also from an health perspective.  RB is the least injury prone position on our team while OL has been banged up.   Guard would just be a better trade investment IMO.

No our running game isn’t great.  But why would Barkley, Henry and CMC average 3 ypc behind our line when Singletary averages more?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.