I Am Not Optimistic Going Into This Season

longtimebillsfan

Please talk me off the ledge.

I could see this season with the Bills going 2-2 in their first four games.

The Jets will go into their home opener sky high.

We should be able to handle the Raiders and Commanders. 

The Dolphins game could go either way.  At least the game is in OP.

I just think that our team is weaker than last year.

I could realistically see the Bills missing the playoffs this year.

With all the pundants saying the Bills window is closing, I am starting to think that Josh may never get us to the Lombardi trophy.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 4
  • Eyeroll 15
  • Sad 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Angry 2
  • Disagree 6
  • Agree 7
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 4

2 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

With all the pundants saying the Bills window is closing, I am starting to think that Josh may never get us to the Lombardi trophy.

Stay on the ledge. It's harder to close the window with someone standing in the way.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 11

"I just think that our team is weaker than last year." - You may want to compare the two rosters. 

"With all the pundants saying the Bills window is closing," - You probably spend too much time listening to the wrong pundits. 

I don't know how old you are, but for those over 50, this could be our greatest time to be a Bills fan. So enjoy every second because it may not be this good for quite a while. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 5

7 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Glass half empty

The 70's were bad, 84 and 85 were a nightmare. The drought also sucked. I am excited for this season. The Bills probably won't win 13 games as the division and schedule is tougher. My guess is 11-6. Will that be enough to win the division is anyone's guess. They are still a good bet for the playoffs. All of the AFCE games are going to be fun and nerve wracking to watch. 

Edited by Gregg
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

You're right to be concerned about the direction the team is taking. Ignore the pompom waving crowd here. I'm not optimistic about their chances this year either. The roster has been going sideways at best for the last couple of years. The head coach is afraid of his own shadow at crunch time. And some key cogs on the defense are aging and/or coming back from injury. They haven't hit big on a draft pick since 2018.

But they do have Allen and you always have a shot to win it all with him. The margin is getting thinner by the season though.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 8
  • Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Relax

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

where are the bills weaker??   not sure how you can even say they are weaker in any area.

• Like (+1) 1

I'll make a determination after the 1st 5-6 games

I really can't tell if this team is really better this year, but last year I thought we were more solid then we turned out to be.

By mid October will know for sure... until then it's either the doom and gloomers or pom pom posters. I'm a wait and see guy. 

We are a good team either way, but are we a SB team???  Honestly cannot tell till I see how we a stack up against other teams.

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

LMAO, what is with all the doom and gloom posts since the 53 roster cut downs?  Did we cut Josh Allen and I just miss it or something?

13-3 last year, 8 points away from being undefeated.  Over the last 3 seasons, Bills are 2nd only to KC and behind by just 5 total points in scoring in the NFL, and yet we enter this season with the best set of weapons Allen has had ever.  Yes we are weaker at MLB which is a major hole, but we have our secondary healthy again which is one of the best overall in the NFL and has been for several years now.  Our pass rush is getting bolstered by Vons return and Floyd being added, plus McD should be more aggressive than Frazier was giving the potential to generate more pressure.  

This team has upgraded at WR, RB, TE, LG, RG, and has a healthy Allen.  Then on D its upgraded at S, CB, DL, and Edge compared to last year.  Only downgrade on the whole roster is at KR (losing Hines) and MLB (big downgrade).  We are the same at C, RT, OLB (although Dorian is more depth there).  

So how are you seeing this team as "worse" than last year?  Will we have a worse record?  Possibly, no season is the same, our schedule is brutal.  But overall, this team has upgraded slightly or significantly at almost every position over last year either through FA's, Rookies, or guys being back healthy.  We have 2 major questions marks at MLB and RT still, but those don't offset all the other positives either.  And we still don't know how much of an issue MLB and RT will be given Bernard didn't get to play the whole preseason and Brown is still an unknown on how much better he could be with the injuries behind him.  So while those are our biggest weak spots, we don't actually know how weak they are, if at all.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Dude, lighten up, stop falling for all the click bait and the posters here who are always spouting doom and gloom. 

Jets O-line is trash 

Miami’s O-line is trash, and their QB is fragile as can be

the Pats don’t even have a QB

Ffs get a grip, 

nuthin but luv, 

GO BILLS!!!

Just look at the cuts that were made this year - A lot of now-former Bills lost out to new acquisitions. That means improvements were made.

OT depth is shaky, and MLB is not fully solved yet, but said MLB will be working next to Matt Milano, as well as between a very stout D line and a very experienced secondary. Beane is smart in that he makes sure the marquee positions are always taken care of - QB, LT, CB1, Edge. 

So no glaring holes, but maybe you should jump anyway, if that's going to be your attitude. Yeah, they could go 8-9, but they will be fun to watch either way. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

"I just think that our team is weaker than last year." - You may want to compare the two rosters. 

"With all the pundants saying the Bills window is closing," - You probably spend too much time listening to the wrong pundits. 

I don't know how old you are, but for those over 50, this could be our greatest time to be a Bills fan. So enjoy every second because it may not be this good for quite a while. 

I am well over 50 and have been a Bills fan since 1963. ( my first memory of watching the Bills with my family)

Like all of us, I want that Super Bowl win do much.  Since the "13 seconds"  debacle it seem like the Bills are moving further away from being a contender.

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, gordong said:

where are the bills weaker??   not sure how you can even say they are weaker in any area.

MLB position. The appear to be stronger in many other areas. 

I think the real question is did the Dolphins and Jets get closer to closing the gap? Can they finally unseat the AFC East champs? 

Have the Chiefs and KC increased their margin? 

What about the Jags? LA? 

No doubt the Bills are one of the teams to beat still. 

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

giphy.gif

I don't agree with you and I think that this team is better than last year. And last year if we had been luckier with injuries we would have been in much better shape against Cincinnati. I think Josh's elbow effected his game more than we know. I do think that McDermott mishandled the Hamlin situation. The Bengals took a small slight from the league and turned the entire city of Cincinnati into an "us against the world" angry mob while McDermott allowed the team to wallow in sadness. I also think that the Bills need a few players with brash swagger and Cincinnati and KC have that in spades. 

I think that there's a bigger issue at play here. BBFS never went away just because the team is better. We were a hopeless franchise for a LONG TIME. Many of us are waiting for the other shoe to drop and for the Bills to go back to 7-10. It just feels like the natural order of things. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Some posters still haven’t recovered from the drought trauma. It’s a GREAT time to be a Bills fan. On paper the schedule looks harder but I like the weapons we’ve added at WR, RB and TE. Our interior OL has been upgraded. We’ve certainly added speed and a power running game to an already potent offense. 

On D, having Hyde and a healthy Tre back is a significant upgrade to the secondary. We have strong depth in the secondary and DL.

If the Bills can play to their potential, eliminate self inflicted mistakes and stay healthy, I like our chances against anyone in the league.

• Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

really the big question is Miller. If he’s not “that guy” the roster has gone backwards. If he’s full go 110% come December and no other catastrophic injuries I feel much better this year, 

pass rush will just be so huge in our defense holding things together 

offense will always have us as a contender with Josh here but pass rush is the gap between elite and very good for the next ten years (assuming 1-2 playmakers on the offense with Josh)

Edited by NoSaint
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Dude, lighten up, stop falling for all the click bait and the posters here who are always spouting doom and gloom. 

Jets O-line is trash 

Miami’s O-line is trash, and their QB is fragile as can be

the Pats don’t even have a QB

Ffs get a grip, 

nuthin but luv, 

GO BILLS!!!

Lol you can say most of the leagues OL are trash.  Playing in the trenches is not alot of fun and the glamor goes to Pass Rushers more than the guys protecting the star QBs.  There are a couple  Eagles probably has the best and they have always seemed to invest well in OL hence Bills losing Jason Peters years ago.  I for one believe the drought would have ended much sooner had we kept Jason Peters all his career.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

really the big question is Miller. If he’s not “that guy” the roster has gone backwards. If he’s full go 110% come December and no other catastrophic injuries I feel much better this year, 

No SB contending team’s success should EVER be that reliant on one player….especially a defensive player. *Maybe* you could say that about a QB, but without a decent line, a halfway good RB, and some above average WRs, then even a great QB will not hoist the Lombardi.

39 minutes ago, QB Bills said:

You're right to be concerned about the direction the team is taking. Ignore the pompom waving crowd here. I'm not optimistic about their chances this year either. The roster has been going sideways at best for the last couple of years. The head coach is afraid of his own shadow at crunch time. And some key cogs on the defense are aging and/or coming back from injury. They haven't hit big on a draft pick since 2018.

But they do have Allen and you always have a shot to win it all with him. The margin is getting thinner by the season though.

We are better at RB, TE and WR. O line and LB are the “sideways” I believe you are referring too. We have to score a lot of points this year and get after the QB. Stopping the run is going to be a challenge. I see 13 wins.

I get it. It’s in our DNA to doom and gloom when there’s nothing really tangible going on. But just last year, after the KC game, the Bills were clear media favorites to win the Super Bowl. That team is still here, and is actually better across the board except for one middle linebacker. This team is fine. If the players pull any loser crap and make sorry excuses I’ll be disappointed. Their whole careers have come to this point of being on a Super Bowl contender. Let the fans be scared of their own shadows. Please not the players. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.