I Am Not Optimistic Going Into This Season

longtimebillsfan

35 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Dude, lighten up, stop falling for all the click bait and the posters here who are always spouting doom and gloom. 

Jets O-line is trash 

Miami’s O-line is trash, and their QB is fragile as can be

the Pats don’t even have a QB

Ffs get a grip, 

nuthin but luv, 

GO BILLS!!!

Jets and MIA's lines may be trash but both of those teams gave us fits last year. Even with a practically non-existent offense the Jets defense completely stymied our efforts. We really struggled to put up points on them. All 3 MIA games were much closer than they had any right to be.

I agree that we'll probably roll the Pats, the other two teams are gonna be dogfights.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, uninja said:

Jets and MIA's lines may be trash but both of those teams gave us fits last year. Even with a practically non-existent offense the Jets defense completely stymied our efforts. We really struggled to put up points on them. All 3 MIA games were much closer than they had any right to be.

I agree that we'll probably roll the Pats, the other two teams are gonna be dogfights.

First game against Miami was completely lopsided

go back and watch.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Please talk me off the ledge.

I could see this season with the Bills going 2-2 in their first four games.

The Jets will go into their home opener sky high.

We should be able to handle the Raiders and Commanders. 

The Dolphins game could go either way.  At least the game is in OP.

I just think that our team is weaker than last year.

I could realistically see the Bills missing the playoffs this year.

With all the pundants saying the Bills window is closing, I am starting to think that Josh may never get us to the Lombardi trophy.

How on earth are we weaker? 

i feel we're Much stronger,  I'm truly interested in why you think that 

With all the pundants saying the Bills window is closing, I am starting to think that Josh may never get us to the Lombardi trophy.

Just curious.  In what way is the team weaker than last year? I could buy the angst if you said other teams got better, but you lost me when you said the team is weaker.

Outside of MLB there is no position that is worse than last year.  DE may be worse for a few games but when Miller comes back they get an instant upgrade.  The entire DL should be much better than last year. Secondary should be outstanding. 

WR group and TE group are better.

OL looks much better up the middle. I dont think Dawkins is playing at a high level anymore but he wasn't last year either. So that is a wash. Brown might not be great but he is unlikely to get worse. 

RB group is probably status quo. A little more home run ability but maybe a little less ground and pound. 

Special teams - I really don't care besides the K and P and they are stable. 

Frazier is gone but again who cares. It has been McD's defense the whole time anyway. 

I'm a skeptic of the coaching staff but the roster is solid. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

First game against Miami was completely lopsided

go back and watch.

Oh I know that we dominated them completely by all measurable offensive metrics, doesn't change what the final score was. In 2020 we also dominated the Titans in that Tuesday shitshow game if you look at offensive metrics but the final score tells a very different story.

Offensive stats don't mean much if don't turn those into points.

Just now, uninja said:

A large part of those games being close last year was Josh having his turnover fits which he has from time to time.  Josh plays cleaner like he did the year before we might not even break a sweat. 

6 minutes ago, without a drought said:

The only thing negative about the Bills upcoming season is that it spells the end of summer. I do like fall, but that only leads to winter. I guess we'll need to close the windows after all.

I always feel the same way...as big of a football fan as I am, Summer is my favorite time of the year so it always feels a little bittersweet before I jump into football season 

3 minutes ago, uninja said:

The Miami games are an illusion.  Bills were crushing the Dolphins in ganec1 and 3. They played sloppy football and let game 1 slip away and game 3 be too close. 

Miami offense is a threat to score on every play with their WR group. I like their HC more than I like McD. But McD has generally shown a way to prevent getting beat deep and with Hyde and Poyer back they should be able to play a deep shell. 

Just have to put your faith in Allen. He is our best hope for a Championship.  If he plays smart Bills can beat anyone. If he plays reckless then they will struggle. 

28 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

I am well over 50 and have been a Bills fan since 1963. ( my first memory of watching the Bills with my family)

Like all of us, I want that Super Bowl win do much.  Since the "13 seconds"  debacle it seem like the Bills are moving further away from being a contender.

If well over 50, just enjoy it. There is literally nothing you can do. 

As for the "13 seconds," what can you do? Doesn't mean they would have won the Super Bowl and you probably would be saying something similar. 

I truly believe this is a better team and if most things go right, they can be win it all. If not, I'll be devastated but life goes on.

It would also help to look at the history of preseason Super Bowl odds. Even the "experts" are usually 🤷‍♂️

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7fxjwt8jcsabg9hoky2

Same hand-wringing worry warts as we heard this time last year:

"OMG -starting with the super bowl champs, and the # 1 seed in the AFC...we'll be lucky to go 3-3 in the first 6 games.....blah blah blah"

How'd those dire predictions turn out? 

Maybe the Jets and Dolphins oughta be worried about the Bills.

• Eyeroll 1

29 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

really the big question is Miller. If he’s not “that guy” the roster has gone backwards. If he’s full go 110% come December and no other catastrophic injuries I feel much better this year, 

pass rush will just be so huge in our defense holding things together 

offense will always have us as a contender with Josh here but pass rush is the gap between elite and very good for the next ten years (assuming 1-2 playmakers on the offense with Josh)

I guess, but other than QB, there is rarely one player that defines a season.

As for pass rush, I think the line has just as much variance with Rosseau, Floyd, Oliver et al. If they play at a higher level under McDermott's schemes, then the Bills don't have to depend on Miller's heroics. And if they don't play at a higher level, then an outstanding Miller may not make a significant difference. 

It's truly a team game, and it takes nearly every position playing well, week after week. Which is why it's so hard to win the Super Bowl. 

I can't agree with you anymore with everything you said it is exactly what I'm thinking. if you are on that ledge move over so I can jump with you I just hope that the jagged rocks below are nice and sharp.

• Vomit 1

Let's all face it...that Bengals game and recently that Steelers game let us Bills fans wondering what is going on?

First off, the window won't close until Josh Allen retires as he is the heart and soul of the team. So many are making conjectures about why the Bills are not the talk of this offseason. (Which in my opinion is a good thing as the Bills do better as underdogs.)

There are reasons for both those games and my take is the players were mentally spent with Hamlin almost dying on the field right in front of them. With the Steelers, Buffalo Beat them 38-3 last season in Buffalo... which was an embarrassment and I'd say they game-planned a bit for revenge. 

Anyway, the Buffalo offense was as good as, if not better than when Daboll was calling plays and KD was a rookie play caller. The offense got a whole lot better with the addition of rookie TE Dalton Kincade as Buffalo ran with 2 TEs very little last year and this year it looks to be their mainstay.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1624948-breaking-down-why-the-two-tight-end-offense-is-the-best-in-the-nfl

The guy they brought in last season to be the slot WR was injured right away and lil dirty turned out to be no so good... a big failure in that spot. The WR room improved a bunch and with a healthy Davis, it should be so much better. 

The Buffalo offensive line improved a whole lot over last season and RB James Cook is that breakaway back the Bills have been looking for. 

The Buffalo defense isn't currently crippled in the secondary like it was at the end of last season. The defense should be improved this season.

Will will see which way it goes against the Jets on MNF vs. the Buffalo Bills who have been replaced by some as the SB favorites. 

I'm highly optimistic about this season.

• Like (+1) 1

First, yeah we could lose game one against the Jets for the reason you list, BUT we are rolling out new changes on the offense and Defense they haven't seen either. You can bet the Farm McDermott is going to come with some funky stuff with this being his first game as DC and its on MNF.

I get the concerns, but I think we are better than last year to be honest. OL, TE and WR's 3-6 are upgraded.  Dorsey is in his 2nd year and most likely will learn from his mistakes from last year. He also gets to roll out "His" offense. The Defense will be better just by subtraction of Frasier and his ultra conservative BS including playing DB's 9 yards off the ball on 3rd and short. 

Lastly, the pressure if off. We are not favored to win the whole thing so just play freaking football. We lose 4-5 games its expected. We want homefield advantage but if we cant get it, at least get the first game at home and I feel we will do that.  I still see 12-5 or 13-4 as our record and we win the division after splitting games with NYJ and Miami.

12 minutes ago, uninja said:

Oh I know that we dominated them completely by all measurable offensive metrics, doesn't change what the final score was. In 2020 we also dominated the Titans in that Tuesday shitshow game if you look at offensive metrics but the final score tells a very different story.

Offensive stats don't mean much if don't turn those into points.

just asking for a consistent standard here

miami eked out a win where they shouldn't have, yes?

2 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

I think you’ve misjudged us. I think we are fully capable of losing to the Raiders and Commanders. I hope that helps.  😋

• Haha (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

just asking for a consistent standard here

miami eked out a win where they shouldn't have, yes?

I’m not really sure what you mean here 🙂

I try to refrain from shoulda-woulda-coulda-ing any games. The final score is the final score and ultimately that’s all that matters in the end.

All of the games against NYJ and MIA were close. MIA got the stops they needed and scored more points and we didn’t, doesn’t matter that we were chucking the ball all over the yard on them. In the end we walked away with an L. The fact that all 3 games were close as hell against them, with that first one being a loss should tell you it wasn’t a fluke.

Just now, uninja said:

I’m not really sure what you mean here 🙂

I try to refrain from shoulda-woulda-coulda-ing any games. The final score is the final score and ultimately that’s all that matters in the end.

All of the games against NYJ and MIA were close. MIA got the stops they needed and scored more points and we didn’t, doesn’t matter that we were chucking the ball all over the yard on them. In the end we walked away with an L. The fact that all 3 games were close as hell against them, with that first one being a loss should tell you it wasn’t a fluke.

you could say the same thing about our wins. we got the win with the key stops/scores at the key time, TWICE against them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

giphy.gif

59 minutes ago, Gen2 said:

Some people like to say the glass is half empty

Some people like to say the glass is half full ... 

But I just ask who the heck keeps drinking my beer

The pessimist says "glass is half empty"

The optimist says "glass is half full"

The engineer says "excess glass by a factor of two"

Edited by Beck Water
  • Haha (+1) 2

There’s always watching log rolling

2 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

MLB position. The appear to be stronger in many other areas. 

I think the real question is did the Dolphins and Jets get closer to closing the gap? Can they finally unseat the AFC East champs? 

Have the Chiefs and KC increased their margin? 

What about the Jags? LA? 

No doubt the Bills are one of the teams to beat still. 

I think the conference is stronger. I don't much trust the coaching with the Chargers and whoever the coach is the Chargers gonna find a way to Charger, but one year that talented roster will put up serious regular season numbers despite themselves. 

I think the Jags are a rising team and while I don't love their offseason them winning 11 or 12 games and being dangerous in the playoffs is a real possibility. 

Where I am a bit more sceptical is the division. If the Dolphins end up being great I stand to have serious egg on my face. But I really, really don't see it. I see an offense that stalled last year after Thanksgiving that has lost the "new scheme surprise" factor and a defense that while having better coaching still has talent holes. But it isn't me being a Bills homer on that.... step back and genuinely I think they are hugely overrated.

They Jets could be really good. There is reason to believe it with them. If you told me they win the division I wouldn't be stunned. But I'd price the Bills up still as pretty strong favourites. 

What the Bills are suffering from is the jaded reaction that a team who is always there without getting over the hump attracts. But people are sleeping on how many good players remain on this roster. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Do a backflip @#%$@^!  I dare you.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.