I Am Not Optimistic Going Into This Season

longtimebillsfan

9 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Please talk me off the ledge.

I could see this season with the Bills going 2-2 in their first four games.

The Jets will go into their home opener sky high.

We should be able to handle the Raiders and Commanders. 

The Dolphins game could go either way.  At least the game is in OP.

I just think that our team is weaker than last year.

I could realistically see the Bills missing the playoffs this year.

With all the pundants saying the Bills window is closing, I am starting to think that Josh may never get us to the Lombardi trophy.

A Bills fan lacking optimism? What a unique perspective! Thank you for sharing this unusual phenomenon with us.   

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Ah, I miss the good old days when EJ Manuel was firing lasers at the media pop-up tent, causing Kevin Kolb to break his spleen on a rubber mat, while Rex Ryan massaged Maddy Glab’s feet. We really won the off-season back in those days. Good times…

This was great.

Pssssst.  Maddy Glab was hired by the Bills in 2019.  Sexy Rexy was long gone.  But I'm sure if she had been here, he would have tried it.

image.png

8 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

I am well over 50 and have been a Bills fan since 1963. ( my first memory of watching the Bills with my family)

Like all of us, I want that Super Bowl win do much.  Since the "13 seconds"  debacle it seem like the Bills are moving further away from being a contender.

How so? It's been one year and a year full of injuries and trauma like arguably no team has ever seen. Maybe they were outplayed and lost at the end. Or maybe they ran out of gas after so many sleepless nights, some figuring out how they were going to get to the next city, others not knowing if their friend would survive, let alone make a full recovery. I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt. They still went 13-3 and none of those losses were by more than a field goal. 

How is their current roster worse than 2021? A couple players are a bit older (but not showing decline yet) but others (Rousseau for example) are coming into their prime. Even with Kirksey, they will be a little worse at that position, but in every other position group, I'd argue they are better than two years ago. The o-line is a question mark, but it's been bad the last two years and they still had one of the top offenses in the league. 

Also, maybe you worded it poorly, but "moving further away from being a contender"... they are currently a contender.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

How so? It's been one year and a year full of injuries and trauma like arguably no team has ever seen. Maybe they were outplayed and lost at the end. Or maybe they ran out of gas after so many sleepless nights, some figuring out how they were going to get to the next city, others not knowing if their friend would survive, let alone make a full recovery. I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt. They still went 13-3 and none of those losses were by more than a field goal. 

How is their current roster worse than 2021? A couple players are a bit older (but not showing decline yet) but others (Rousseau for example) are coming into their prime. Even with Kirksey, they will be a little worse at that position, but in every other position group, I'd argue they are better than two years ago. The o-line is a question mark, but it's been bad the last two years and they still had one of the top offenses in the league. 

Also, maybe you worded it poorly, but "moving further away from being a contender"... they are currently a contender.

I would argue that once Kirksey is inserted, we will be just as strong as middle linebacker as we have been in previous years

Kirkseys numbers last year are better than Tremaine Edmunds numbers last year and that was Tremaine’s best year

• Agree 1

Why put yourself through the mental anguish? Football is a game. Being a sports fan is about fun and entertainment. Just root for your team and hope for the best. Don't let yourself get bogged down in negative thinking, especially since there is nothing you can do to change any outcome. Have fun with it. Remember that this is the best team we've had in ages.

And guess what... the Bills are going to lose some games. It isn't the end of the world.

• Agree 3

9 hours ago, Gregg said:

The 70's were bad, 84 and 85 were a nightmare. The drought also sucked. I am excited for this season. The Bills probably won't win 13 games as the division and schedule is tougher. My guess is 11-6. Will that be enough to win the division is anyone's guess. They are still a good bet for the playoffs. All of the AFCE games are going to be fun and nerve wracking to watch. 

Nerve Wracking is wonderful for me

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I would argue that once Kirksey is inserted, we will be just as strong as middle linebacker as we have been in previous years

Kirkseys numbers last year are better than Tremaine Edmunds numbers last year and that was Tremaine’s best year

That is not true. Look at the advanced stats—the passer rating against Edmunds last year in passes thrown his way was 69.9, which is below the proverbial Mendoza line. Kirksey’s stat was 90.1 and three years ago it was 155.8 — which is a perfect rating in the NFL qb rating system.

Bottom line: stay away from the shiny object of counting stats. There is a tackle on every play that isn’t a TD play, and someone has to make the tackles — just like someone on the worst NBA team averages 20+ points because even the worst NBA teams average 90+ points a game (and someone has to score those points).  Kirksey was cut from a truly horrible team for a reason and Edmunds got paid a TON of money for a reason, and these decisions were made by people who are far more informed than message-board warrior fans.

That said, I’m more than willing to give Kirksey the benefit of the doubt. But if you can’t pass cover as a LB, you are a liability who*will* be exploited.

• Like (+1) 2

We are one of the best teams in the league.  That hasn't changed.  I get it, we haven't gone to or won a SuperBowl but we are still one of the best teams in the league.  As long as we have Allen that will remain true.  I am not going to sit here and say we are going to the show and winning it all, but I'm confident we still win the division.  Who knows from there.  (Barring injury to Allen or a bunch of key players of course.)

We aren't going undefeated either.  Can't jump off a ledge over any individual loses.  Even week 1 if that were to happen.

9 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

heyo

Man... I just purchased a collectors set of all their albums on vinyl the other day and it was supposed to arrive today but it won't be until tomorrow.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

There should be legit concerns about the age of some of our key pieces on defense and how they will perform this season. 

It’s easy to think we will be healthier so automatically we must be better. 

I’m not quite at the level of the OP but I am hoping for the best while expecting a very bumpy ride this season to what will hopefully be a 4th division title. 

10 hours ago, Stads said:

The OP read Florio's article and took it to heart

Ha ha Floria’s biggest fan. BB will out-coach the Bills for 3rd!!  

1 hour ago, Dr.Sack said:

As long as Josh Allen is the QB the Bills have a chance. 

Yeah but Diggs is moping and we have no chance. The MM media SAS, Florio, and CC have spoken..🤓

I know a lot of people just focus on what the Bills did to upgrade things, but seem to forget every other team in the league did so as well. 

Did kind of fixing a couple OL spots & drafting Kincaid change the offense THAT much? Did losing Edmunds hurt us more than other moves on the D side? 

And how will the D look with McDermott calling the shots? He may be significantly better or worse than Frazier... We don't know. 

I think they regress a little bit, but not a huge drop. 11-12 wins if they stay mostly healthy

3 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

. . . I want to see, like I am sure most non Buffalo fans are as well, if they will wilt again or not in the playoffs. 

have to admit, i think 'wilt' describes it perfectly.   In the national view of the NFL, the Bills just petered out. 

The difference is, other fan bases dont care why.  They got their popcorn ready for the AFCCG.  It took them one day to move on. 

the national narrative this year has been "wilt or not wilt.'

last year it was "super bowl or not super bowl"

Edited by maddenboy

6 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Which Bill isn’t being talked about enough for this upcoming season that you expect to have a real good year?

Good question. I don't know whether he qualifies as not being talked about but I feel really good on James Cook. Been a while since the Bills had some legit speed at running back. I think he looks more decisive in pre-season and the guard play should hopefully open up more holes. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Good question. I don't know whether he qualifies as not being talked about but I feel really good on James Cook. Been a while since the Bills had some legit speed at running back. I think he looks more decisive in pre-season and the guard play should hopefully open up more holes. 

I was worried about him, not being an effective up the middle player, but it looks to me like he’s doing really good in that area

He’s not even catching that many passes in preseason, which is supposed to be his strength

55 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

PFF picked us?!

We're doomed!😱

Seriously though... Anyone picking the jets (or phins or pats) at this point is either a homer of that team, a hater of the bills, both, stupid, or not paying attention.

Defending champ gets the benefit of the doubt. Even in fightsports, draw goes to the champ.

But somehow a 368 year old Rodgers with potentially the worst OC in the league is are owners of the AFCE?

I'm not buying that *****.

12 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

With all the pundants saying the Bills window is closing, I am starting to think that Josh may never get us to the Lombardi trophy.

Weaker where? I’m confused. Maybe at MLB but they upgraded everywhere else on the roster 

5 hours ago, SoTier said:

Suck it up, Buttercup.   As a long time Bills fan, I survived the Bills struggling to win 2 games all season long.  I survived 0-for-the-1970s.  I survived HCs who were so incompetent that the players mutinied (Hank Bullough) and HCs whose aim was not to lose by too much (Dick Jauron).   I survived a #1 overall pick who refused to play for the Bills (Tom Cousineau).   I survived watching players the Bills developed into stars leave for other teams over and over and over again.  I survived a football organization that that put profits over winning for a decade. 

I'll worry about the wheels falling off the Bills' juggernaut when I actually see the wheels coming falling off.

I am right there with you.

My fandom began in 1963.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

That is not true. Look at the advanced stats—the passer rating against Edmunds last year in passes thrown his way was 69.9, which is below the proverbial Mendoza line. Kirksey’s stat was 90.1 and three years ago it was 155.8 — which is a perfect rating in the NFL qb rating system.

Bottom line: stay away from the shiny object of counting stats. There is a tackle on every play that isn’t a TD play, and someone has to make the tackles — just like someone on the worst NBA team averages 20+ points because even the worst NBA teams average 90+ points a game (and someone has to score those points).  Kirksey was cut from a truly horrible team for a reason and Edmunds got paid a TON of money for a reason, and these decisions were made by people who are far more informed than message-board warrior fans.

That said, I’m more than willing to give Kirksey the benefit of the doubt. But if you can’t pass cover as a LB, you are a liability who*will* be exploited.

A perfect passer rating is 158.3, actually.

15 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Your an idiot.

Although i am not in that boat of omg doom and gloom, the division has gotten better along with us and it is not going to be a cake walk to win a division title. If our defense can step up and our offensive and defensive lines do their jobs we will be ok. If we cannot stop the run or we lose the trench battles week after week, this team can quickly turn into a hot mess if they cannot adjust. I honestly do not want to hear about other teams o-lines being trash as they were last year and we did nothing against them. That has to change this year. I am psyched to see the offense with Cook and a 2 tight end set. That should be a blast to watch!!

11 hours ago, maddenboy said:

which means you are also not optimistic.

its like saying "in a normal year, i could tell you right now.  But this year . . . ."

its like saying "i might become optimistic at some point"

yes... I have concerns which can only be allieivated with watching them play and seeing how they perform against tough competition

I'm also not pessimistic just the same. 

Edited by ddaryl

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I love the Kirksey signing, and it assuages the last worry I have. It means we at least have someone experienced in the mix for MLB. I'm guessing Bernard will still play there week 1 and if Bernard proves most of us (including me) wrong, all the better. If not, we have an option of a player with experience to hold down the center and with all the all-pros around him, that may be all we need. He's also a leader (like Edmunds) and perhaps could both be a bridge to Dorian Williams taking over the position and someone who helps him learn the ins and outs, if that's the path. There's instantly more options.

However, Dave McBride upthread says it well. When you actually look beyond tackles (and even there, it's pretty close if you consider Edmunds missed 4 games with injury). Edmunds has become one of the best coverage LBs in the league and had an astonishing 1(?!) missed tackle last year. That said, they decided not to extend him for a reason. In any case, both the DB and DL rooms got considerably deeper, and playing next to an all-pro LB, a competent, experienced MLB with leadership qualities may be all they need to have one of the top 5 defenses in the NFL again, if not the best.

Edited by thurst44
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I have James Cook as well.  I have him in my bold predictions making an All Pro team.  

6 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I know a lot of people just focus on what the Bills did to upgrade things, but seem to forget every other team in the league did so as well. 

Did kind of fixing a couple OL spots & drafting Kincaid change the offense THAT much? Did losing Edmunds hurt us more than other moves on the D side? 

And how will the D look with McDermott calling the shots? He may be significantly better or worse than Frazier... We don't know. 

I think they regress a little bit, but not a huge drop. 11-12 wins if they stay mostly healthy

They were also well ahead of the Dolphins and Jets at the end of the season, both of whom finished on long losing streaks except for the game they played each other. Also, let's look at the "upgrades": Jets added a legendary QB who barely seems to want to be there (yet the press is stuck on the Diggs repeating record) and a productive RB who might pair well with Hall or they might have diminishing returns. After that it's players like Mecole Hardman, who could never reach his full potential with Mahomes throwing to him, Quinton Jefferson, a solid contributor who is a bit better than when we practically ran him out of town, and a bunch of meh receivers. The Dolphins have added Jalen Ramsey, who was mortal last year and who Josh Allen and Stefon Diggs have practically owned. Beyond that, it's Mike White, Braxton Berrios, Malik Reed (solid role player), Eli Apple {?!}

1 minute ago, thurst44 said:

They were also well ahead of the Dolphins and Jets at the end of the season, both of whom finished on long losing streaks except for the game they played each other. Also, let's look at the "upgrades": Jets added a legendary QB who barely seems to want to be there (yet the press is stuck on the Diggs repeating record) and a productive RB who might pair well with Hall or they might have diminishing returns. After that it's players like Mecole Hardman, who could never reach his full potential with Mahomes throwing to him, Quinton Jefferson, a solid contributor who is a bit better than when we practically ran him out of town, and a bunch of meh receivers. The Dolphins have added Jalen Ramsey, who was mortal last year and who Josh Allen and Stefon Diggs have practically owned. Beyond that, it's Mike White, Braxton Berrios, Malik Reed (solid role player), Eli Apple {?!}

And Ramsey is hurt.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

We have a way more balanced roster than last year when we were SB favorites. How anyone can be pessimistic for this season compared to last is beyond me. 

Because we have drama queens around here.  The OP talks about being a fan since 1963.  I’ve been a fan since 1960.  I still hold the memories of the AFL championships near to my heart.  I lived through the horrors of the late 60’s-early 70’s and the late 70’s-early 80’s.  I had the pleasure of watching the Juice and the Super Bowl era teams, and have watched the ups and downs in the 2000’s.  I am excited to watch this year - with guys like Josh and Diggs and Miller and Milano we have as good a shot as anyone.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

We have a way more balanced roster than last year when we were SB favorites. How anyone can be pessimistic for this season compared to last is beyond me. 

Let’s be honest the team could go undefeated and win the Super Bowl and people will still complain about how the team won

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I hate to say this but my biggest concern right now is McDermott. I think the right coach could take all the adversity that transpired last year, and comments from a lot of pundits this offseason on how we missed our window and have been passed over in the division, and use all of that to fuel a hyper focused and hungry team that never takes its foot off the gas. I'm not convinced McDermott is the one to do that though. There just hasn't been a lot of good energy emanating from the team since they walked off the field for the last time in January. I worry that the malaise from last season is still lingering and McDermott doesn't know how to snuff it out. Would love for him to prove me wrong though.

McDermott no longer has Frazier and Daboll to shield him from accountability. There appeared to be some finger pointing last season in Frazier's direction. I don't know if that's why Leslie left but it felt like internal politics. I think Frazier is a very good coach, and a well liked, credible leader. If he was thrown under the bus by Clappy, players will remember that.

Damar Hamlin and the Supermarket shooting should have been rallying points to inspire. Bruce Smith's speech on his love for the city and appeal for community unity was very moving. That's what leaders do.

Instead we wilted. 

The Bills are still a very good and talented football team. 

The Bills window is not closing but I think McDermott's is. Anything less than a Superbowl appearance will feel like failure.

I expect KC to have a SB hangover. The Bengals and their playoff experience are the nemesis we should focus on. There is no good reason short of an injury to Josh why we should not challenge for the AFC crown. 

• Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

I agree with you that the Bills will be fine but...

1. The division is a lot harder. The Jets and Dolphins could challenge the Bills for the division now.

2. Playoff failures. Fans are getting frustrated with them highlighted of course by 13 seconds. Losing confidence in McDermott to get us over the top. 

I personally think the Bills will go 11-6. That should get them into the playoffs. Will it be enough for the division is anybody's guess.

As I mentioned in another thread, the biggest issue with this team is age. 

On paper, the Bills roster looks more balanced than last year (when everyone was picking them to win the Super Bowl).  And despite the no-show against Cincinnati in the playoffs, this team did finish 13-3 last year... even with tons of injuries, pressure and adversity.  There are legitimate reasons this team could still be a Super Bowl contender this season.  And the people in the media picking us to finish in last place are clearly doing it for attention.

However, almost all of the stars on our team are pushing 30 years and/or coming off major injuries.  It would not be totally surprising if a couple of our premier guys take a step back.  Not enough Bills fans are acknowledging this.  And although this team is very deep at several positions, it would absolutely hurt if guys like Von Miller or Micah Hyde don't return to their old selves.  

The margins in the NFL are slim.  I can't see the Bills totally bottoming out, unless there is a significant injury at QB.  But at the same time, it's not unrealistic for them to finish behind the Jets and/or Dolphins.  Which in turn could result in us missing the playoffs.  Both teams have excellent rosters.

I think the defense is overrated, and it frustrates me how much money is spent on it and fail to produce when it matters.

Todays league is about having a high powered offense and we continue to neglect that.

Two big things to watch for me is:

- Can this offense finally put it together or will it be the same crap with Josh running for his life AGAIN.

- Can the defense stay healthy and actually dominate.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.