I Am Not Optimistic Going Into This Season

longtimebillsfan

I plan to appreciate & be excited every year Allen is QB, and certainly every year we have a team like this - which is a SB-caliber roster when healthy.

I remember all of those years when we'd go through the schedule and hope for breaks, fumbles, bad weather and other flukey things that could maybe get us over .500 and sneaking into the playoffs.  And the years when the season was basically over in October.

• Like (+1) 5

3 hours ago, gordong said:

where are the bills weaker??   not sure how you can even say they are weaker in any area.

The only spot I see would be starting LB. Bills are better TE, WR, RB, DL, DE and secondary (assuming all players who were injured are healthy) this year on roster 

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Please talk me off the ledge.

I could see this season with the Bills going 2-2 in their first four games.

The Jets will go into their home opener sky high.

We should be able to handle the Raiders and Commanders. 

The Dolphins game could go either way.  At least the game is in OP.

I just think that our team is weaker than last year.

I could realistically see the Bills missing the playoffs this year.

With all the pundants saying the Bills window is closing, I am starting to think that Josh may never get us to the Lombardi trophy.

Who’s our HC?

Should tell you all you wanna know in setting expectations this season.

10-7 max

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the conference is stronger. I don't much trust the coaching with the Chargers and whoever the coach is the Chargers gonna find a way to Charger, but one year that talented roster will put up serious regular season numbers despite themselves. 

I think the Jags are a rising team and while I don't love their offseason them winning 11 or 12 games and being dangerous in the playoffs is a real possibility. 

Where I am a bit more sceptical is the division. If the Dolphins end up being great I stand to have serious egg on my face. But I really, really don't see it. I see an offense that stalled last year after Thanksgiving that has lost the "new scheme surprise" factor and a defense that while having better coaching still has talent holes. But it isn't me being a Bills homer on that.... step back and genuinely I think they are hugely overrated.

They Jets could be really good. There is reason to believe it with them. If you told me they win the division I wouldn't be stunned. But I'd price the Bills up still as pretty strong favourites. 

What the Bills are suffering from is the jaded reaction that a team who is always there without getting over the hump attracts. But people are sleeping on how many good players remain on this roster. 

Really well said Gunner. 

Despite my criticisms the Bills are still a top tier team and the favorite to win the division. 

The Jets are probably the most dangerous to Buffalo in the division.

Miami is formidable but I'm not sold on Tua and his health. Hill and Waddle are really good though. Will Fangio make a difference? Allen seems to do well attacking his defense. 

Chargers are perplexing. On paper, they are probably as talented as any team in the NFL. Boy, do they find ways to lose big games. Year after year they have the Chiefs beat only to lose most of the time. The Jags playoff loss was epic in a bad way. I suspect they will excell one year. They almost remind me of a younger version of the Bills 

Jags are up and coming. Wonder if they can continue on their winning ways? AFC South is so bad they might win by default. Have to think Lawrence only gets better. 

KC and Cincy are scary good. Well coached and elite QBs.

I'm excited about this season. 

Go Bills. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the conference is stronger. I don't much trust the coaching with the Chargers and whoever the coach is the Chargers gonna find a way to Charger, but one year that talented roster will put up serious regular season numbers despite themselves. 

I think the Jags are a rising team and while I don't love their offseason them winning 11 or 12 games and being dangerous in the playoffs is a real possibility. 

Where I am a bit more sceptical is the division. If the Dolphins end up being great I stand to have serious egg on my face. But I really, really don't see it. I see an offense that stalled last year after Thanksgiving that has lost the "new scheme surprise" factor and a defense that while having better coaching still has talent holes. But it isn't me being a Bills homer on that.... step back and genuinely I think they are hugely overrated.

They Jets could be really good. There is reason to believe it with them. If you told me they win the division I wouldn't be stunned. But I'd price the Bills up still as pretty strong favourites. 

What the Bills are suffering from is the jaded reaction that a team who is always there without getting over the hump attracts. But people are sleeping on how many good players remain on this roster. 

Which Bill isn’t being talked about enough for this upcoming season that you expect to have a real good year?

3 hours ago, uninja said:

Oh I know that we dominated them completely by all measurable offensive metrics, doesn't change what the final score was. In 2020 we also dominated the Titans in that Tuesday shitshow game if you look at offensive metrics but the final score tells a very different story.

Offensive stats don't mean much if don't turn those into points.

I’m going to turn this into the awesome thought of the Titans game LAST YEAR! Oh, that beat down was fantastic. Taking no prisoners at that point. 

5 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You just want to get rescued by a fireman with big arms and a thick mustache.

You mean firemen like this …

Dude, stop watching ESPN.  This is the hype train running you over on NYJ and the Fish.

We are a much stronger team this year over last year with more depth in so many areas.

I don’t have a good read on the 1st game for betting purposes but how can anyone have doubts about this Bills team being better than  last year’s version. Our guards are better, RBs are better and TEs/Receivers are better. D/line is better with Floyd/Miller and the secondary is better with Hyde, Poyer,Rapp and a healthy White and corners in their 2nd year. Don’t be misled by NFL talk show hosts that are believers in the Jets, Miami and others that have proved zero and are in new offenses and have real O -line issues. Either you believe in our team or you don’t.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

With all the pundants saying the Bills window is closing, I am starting to think that Josh may never get us to the Lombardi trophy.

Never say never.  I think we are stronger at RB, TE, G, WR depth, and with an O coordinator with a year’s experience.  Or to put it another way we did just what folks have been clamoring for and put more pieces around Josh.

• Like (+1) 4

I like people who are doom and gloom to stay there.  I don’t try to change anyone’s mind. 

If there can’t look at a roster and evaluate it, so be it.

6 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Never say never.  I think we are stronger at RB, TE, G, WR depth, and with an O coordinator with a year’s experience.  Or to put it another way we did just what folks have been clamoring for and put more pieces around Josh.

Not to mention we are better just by our players being healthy. Let’s hope they can stay healthy!

Edited by 4th&long

6 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

So please be honest here:

1.  What was your position last year at this time? 
2.  Did your opinion matter or have any impact on the result/was it accurate?

Personally, I tend to go a little opposite…Meaning last year we somehow became media darlings and the ‘hot take’ pic to win the SB.  I was super skeptical of all that.  
We need to be an underdog.  Need that hill to climb.  I think we’re a better team than last year.  JMHO

6 hours ago, ddaryl said:

I'll make a determination after the 1st 5-6 games

I really can't tell if this team is really better this year, but last year I thought we were more solid then we turned out to be.

By mid October will know for sure... until then it's either the doom and gloomers or pom pom posters. I'm a wait and see guy. 

We are a good team either way, but are we a SB team???  Honestly cannot tell till I see how we a stack up against other teams.

which means you are also not optimistic.

its like saying "in a normal year, i could tell you right now.  But this year . . . ."

its like saying "i might become optimistic at some point"

6 hours ago, skibum said:

Just look at the cuts that were made this year - A lot of now-former Bills lost out to new acquisitions. That means improvements were made.

i dont agree that this means improvements were made over last year's team. 

example:  last season Tre White was an 85 at the start, but currently he is only a 79.  so if he gets beat out by an 81, that might not be 'improvement' over last year

7 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Stop being a *****

• Dislike 1

6 hours ago, skibum said:

. . . they will be fun to watch either way. 

totally agree.  And i am super optimistic about this part. 

but that's just managing expectations.   Which is healthy.

Am i optimistic we will win the super bowl this year?  No.  Am i pessimistic that we wont?  No.

2 hours ago, BfloBillsFan said:

The only spot I see would be starting LB. Bills are better TE, WR, RB, DL, DE and secondary (assuming all players who were injured are healthy) this year on roster 

And the same vocal significant minority wouldn’t stop talking about how horrible Edmunds was the last four years.

7 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Ok, umm The Jets are going to be pumped super high and if the Bills play DISCIPLINED  they should have a huge lead at half while the Jets make numerous dumb mistakes.. Have the Dolphins ever beaten the Bills with Tua? So why are you worried now? The worst the start is 3-1… The Bills will be fine and make the playoffs, I want to see, like I am sure most non Buffalo fans are as well, if they will wilt again or not in the playoffs. 

I think there's a good chance we won't be as good as the last three years. 

Defense is poised to take a step back. Losing Edmunds hurts. Von being hurt hurts. Our biggest weapon has been our secondary. Tre might be better in year 2 but Hyde and Poyer are getting up there. The drop off will come eventually. 

Dabol was a big part of our success. So was Josh who should be healed and better, but it remains to be seen if the rest of the offense will be. Kincaid will help but rookies usually take time, especially TEs. 

We're still the best bet to win the division, but it will be much tougher this season.   

1 minute ago, VW82 said:

I think there's a good chance we won't be as good as the last three years. 

Defense is poised to take a step back. Losing Edmunds hurts. Von being hurt hurts. Our biggest weapon has been our secondary. Tre might be better in year 2 but Hyde and Poyer are getting up there. The drop off will come eventually. 

Dabol was a big part of our success. So was Josh who should be healed and better, but it remains to be seen if the rest of the offense will be. Kincaid will help but rookies usually take time, especially TEs. 

We're still the best bet to win the division, but it will be much tougher this season.   

This is the most talented roster. The bills have had in a decade.

25 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

And the same vocal significant minority wouldn’t stop talking about how horrible Edmunds was the last four years.

I thought it pretty interesting how the commentators had to make excuses for Edmunds for his play this past Saturday

He did not look like a $19 a year million player

I hate to say this but my biggest concern right now is McDermott. I think the right coach could take all the adversity that transpired last year, and comments from a lot of pundits this offseason on how we missed our window and have been passed over in the division, and use all of that to fuel a hyper focused and hungry team that never takes its foot off the gas. I'm not convinced McDermott is the one to do that though. There just hasn't been a lot of good energy emanating from the team since they walked off the field for the last time in January. I worry that the malaise from last season is still lingering and McDermott doesn't know how to snuff it out. Would love for him to prove me wrong though.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

This is the most talented roster. The bills have had in a decade.

We're going into year 5/6 with the core group. That's a long time together. It looks good on paper but there are big holes, and sometimes when you're that number of years in guys who you're penciling in to be what they were just aren't all of a sudden. Hopefully that's not us. Edit: I include McD in this 

Edited by VW82

4 minutes ago, VW82 said:

We're going into year 5/6 with the core group. That's a long time together. It looks good on paper but there are big holes, and sometimes when you're that number of years in guys who you're penciling in to be what they were just aren't all of a sudden. Hopefully that's not us. Edit: I include McD in this 

It’s pretty amazing how people can take continuity and spin it as a negative

There has been no follow off as of yet from any of these veteran players to count on that fall off as well not good

Maybe I'm in the minority but I'm actually more optimistic this preseason than last.

Here's what I think:

QB - Same.  Better if you consider the UCL injury.

RB - Better

OL - Somewhat better, especially on the interior.

TE - Significantly better with the addition of Kincaid

WR - Better with Gabe being healthy and the addition of Sherfield and Harty

DL - Better with the addition of Floyd (I still hold out hope Poona will be a factor, too)

LB - Worse.

CB - Same

Safety - Better with the addition of Rapp

I do think there are a ton of questions we need to see answered about scheme, play calling, RBs, OL, MLB, the health of some players, etc.  But I had even more questions and doubts last preseason, despite the media hype.  

We do face a tougher division.  I'm not confident that we'll get 13 wins again.  But I believe we'll have a stronger squad going into the playoffs.  

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

It’s pretty amazing how people can take continuity and spin it as a negative

There has been no follow off as of yet from any of these veteran players to count on that fall off as well not good

Continuity can be really good. It's one of the reasons I was so high on this team the last coulple years. But we might be getting close with some of these guys.

Diggs will be 30 this year.

Milano 29

Poyer 32

Hyde 33

White 28

Von 34

DaQuan Jones 32

Morse 31

Dawkins 29

Outside of Josh, these are our key guys. 

8 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Ok so when you fall off that 1 mile ledge? I hope for the first time ever, gravity works in reverse and that drop takes like an hour.... 

In all seriousness... When you are this close off the ledge, you cant be stopped from falling. and then as you fall by week 5 or 6 when Von comes back? you will regret putting yourself through this much stress.

Really? I truly think we're going to destroy the jets and make an example of them. They are the shiny new toy but what they forgot to do just like in GB is protect Aaron Rodgers, that line will get exposed and Rodgers doesn't have the legs anymore. Watch him when we faced GB, it will be more of the same!

Suck it up, Buttercup.   As a long time Bills fan, I survived the Bills struggling to win 2 games all season long.  I survived 0-for-the-1970s.  I survived HCs who were so incompetent that the players mutinied (Hank Bullough) and HCs whose aim was not to lose by too much (Dick Jauron).   I survived a #1 overall pick who refused to play for the Bills (Tom Cousineau).   I survived watching players the Bills developed into stars leave for other teams over and over and over again.  I survived a football organization that that put profits over winning for a decade. 

I'll worry about the wheels falling off the Bills' juggernaut when I actually see the wheels coming falling off.

• Agree 1

I can't get over how old Rodgers looks in everything. I really do think NY is going to be more like Denver's situation last year than a SB contender. Tua is also arguably playing past his luck at this point and is one hit away from the Fish not having a QB. I don't get the hype either. The Bills are still the proven class of the division.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.