Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

4 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

Thanks, I'm not a doctor either but the ER doc I work with thought it at least appeared to be a classic example of CC with the way it went down.  Certainly we don't know the cause yet, but I have trouble agreeing with your docs that CC recurrence would be an extremely low probability for a professional football player.  If they don't have a way to prevent recurrence,  I'd say end of career.

Chris Pronger had this happen to him and he played 13 more seasons of NHL hockey. 

Edited by FrenchConnection
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Everyone is at risk for commotio cordis and it's not something that you can really manage. It's an exceptionally rare combination of being hit with enough force in the exact right spot at the exact right millisecond. If that does end up being the final diagnosis I see no reason why he couldn't return to the NFL. 

Chris Pronger suffered from commotio cordis in '98 after being hit in the chest with a puck and played in the NHL another 10+ seasons. 

Thanks, I appreciate the perspective and info.  My mistake is looking at it as a individual/genetic susceptibility which I will correct and certainly it makes much more sense he can return.

21 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

To be 100% clear, I'm not a doctor.  I'm just going on what I've been by doctors elsewhere.  The way it was explained to me is that commotio cordis is a freak injury that has no realistic chance or reoccurrence.  Or more technically, Hamlin's chance of suffering such an injury in the future would be no worse than any other player's 

However, none of those doctors are even remotely convinced that this was commotio cordis.  Apparently it's impossible for anyone to have reached such a diagnosis at this point.  An undiagnosed heart ailment is possible.  A respiratory infection is possible (I don't get it either).  We don't know right now.

Exactly.  They will run a bunch of tests to rule out potential underlying causes, probably starting with an echocardiogram ASAP.  If they can't find anything and they come to a determination that it was most likely caused by the hit itself (commotio cordis), then I'd say there's a decent chance that Damar Hamlin is back on the field for training camp, assuming he hasn't suffered any longterm organ damage (for instance, his lungs).

18 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

If nothing else, after having a breathing tube shoved down his throat for 3 1/2 days, he has the Granddaddy of All Sore Throats

I was in a medically induced coma for five days. When they woke me up, I still had the breathing tube in. I also had to use pencil and paper to communicate. But once they pulled that tube out, yeah it sucked. I ate all the vanilla ice cream they could give me. 

• Like (+1) 6

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I love all the positive Damar news. Every time I heard Terry Pegula thanked I thought about Kim. It’s always been Terry and Kim whenever Beane mentioned ownership. He only said Terry today. Stuck out to me.

Same as yesterday. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I love all the positive Damar news. Every time I heard Terry Pegula thanked I thought about Kim. It’s always been Terry and Kim whenever Beane mentioned ownership. He only said Terry today. Stuck out to me.

Hopefully it was because Terry was in Cincy with the team at the time and he may have stayed back with Beane.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Exactly.  They will run a bunch of tests to rule out potential underlying causes, probably starting with an echocardiogram ASAP.  If they can't find anything and they come to a determination that it was most likely caused by the hit itself (commotio cordis), then I'd say there's a decent chance that Damar Hamlin is back on the field for training camp, assuming he hasn't suffered any longterm organ damage (for instance, his lungs).

This is correct, though i'm certain and ECHO was done that night.  It would have been standard to get an ECHO right away.

23 minutes ago, Beast said:

So, I just rounded the numbers here.

Get to your calculator and divide 7.8 million by 234k.

It may give you chills.

14B48006-0E52-4043-9FD6-4BEBF62F032B.jpeg

One of you guys or gals who do twitter should post the image along with that calculation.

That is pretty incredible.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

Thanks, I'm not a doctor either but the ER doc I work with thought it at least appeared to be a classic example of CC with the way it went down.  Certainly we don't know the cause yet, but I have trouble agreeing with your docs that CC recurrence would be an extremely low probability for a professional football player.  If they don't have a way to prevent recurrence,  I'd say end of career.

If there is no other cause that is found then the decision will be  lup to demarr as it pretty much is  short of some sort if disability that this incident would ave incurred.  At this time we do not know for a fact that no damage was caused by even the little time he was without oxygen.  It is also really dependent on how this incident plays out to Damarr on his personal level.  It may have him focus more on his work in his community.  Football may be secondary to him and was always just a way to do what he really wants to be doing with his cause.  He may want to play football for as long as he can.  It's really up to how this effects his outlook going forward on whether he plays again or doesn't barring any unknown disability he may incurr due to this.  

• Simon changed the title to Damar Hamlin - Now breathing on his own and talking to teammates via video
38 minutes ago, muppy said:

hey Beck I decided the next time I type Lamar instead of Lamar Im sending 50 bucks to the Damar Hamlin charity.  LOL  

🙃

Uh-oh, it happened again.

Pony up, sister!

1 hour ago, 34-78-83 said:

Yes, blame @Simon for that :)

I am undeniably a miracle hog. :D

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

I've never been more proud to call myself a Bills fan than I have been this week. We all knew this team was a close knit team, with tremendous leaders on all levels, but the class, grace that's been on display these last few days has been both outstanding and uplifting. From Coach McDermott to GM Brandon Beane to our QB, Josh and everyone else, again all I can say is wow.

What happened Monday night put this team at the center of attention at least country wide, if not world wide. And boy did they deliver. I think everyone got a glimpse of who this team is and what they're about. And the guys who were front and center delivered in a big way by being themselves. From top to bottom this team is in such great hands.

DID WE WIN

GO BILLS!!

GOD BLESS THE FIRST RESPONDERS

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GaryPinC said:

When I read that bit you’re responding to I think they meant it as more of a probabilistic statement like ‘what are the odds this freak injury happens to the same player twice’. 

I don’t think you’re at an any higher or lower risk of recurrence after going through this once.  (Assuming he makes a full recovery)

Truly truly amazing.

The fans, the media, everyone so far a has been amazing.

We need to keep pushing the NFL & The Bills to keep supporting Damar after all this energy naturally fades away. 

Football and sport has an outsized, positive impact on our lives and communities.  These men get well paid to do what they do, and make a choice to risk their health for this sport. Still, I think it still pales in comparison to the positive community energy they bring as a team. 

With that it mind, if Damar is unable to play football even again, then I hope the NFL & The Bills fully support him financially until he’s able to financially support himself. As a 2nd year, 6th round draft pick, he’s probably earned less than a million dollars in earnings after taxes. A substantial sum of money, but certainly not enough to cover living expenses and long term care in recovering from this in the years that follow.  And as a 2nd year player, he is not vested.  I understand that “everyday” and “working class” folks don’t get these benefits (I hate both phrases in this context but am left without a better phrase it’s become so collloqueal), but I would suggest that I - and anyone else in my field - don’t have the same power as these players to bring a community together, to uplift a community after tragedy, to help instill pride in a community, among the other positive aspects of being a Buffalo Bill. That matters. 

Given the massive cultural impact teams

make on our community, and the limited amount of players (about 2000 roster spots each year between the active roster and practice squad), and the amount of money these clubs gets from TV deals and all the other revenue streams, they need to be a lot more upfront in how they take care of players who get processed out of this league due to injury and health. 

I hope the NFL and the Bills support Damar for the rest of his life, for as long as it’s needed, for being a part of such a powerful cultural phenomenon, and almost dying for it

Or put this way, what other person in the Buffalo community that’s not a member of this team, would inspire a rally around the community event such as what we with Damar?

Edited by appoo
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

I cannot believe the news which has come through already considering it's only four days since it happened. Just so relieved, for Damar, his family, the coaching staff, the players. The first responders and medical team deserve so much praise and love too.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.