Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

3 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Something I haven't seen asked, and this isn't a knock on anyone, but where has von Miller been in all this? No tweets, nothing on social media (that I can see). Just a little surprised not having heard anything from one of the defensive leaders 

I've been wondering that too. Maybe his approach to being respectful is to be silent and not draw attention? 

Edited by Warriorspikes51

5 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Something I haven't seen asked, and this isn't a knock on anyone, but where has von Miller been in all this? No tweets, nothing on social media (that I can see). Just a little surprised not having heard anything from one of the defensive leaders 

On a somewhat related note…Has he even been on the sidelines or even in Buffalo since the surgery?

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Steptide said:

this also isn't a knock on anyone but to me it seems like he never got fully integrated into this team, not saying he wasn't playing well or making an impact on the field because he definitely was but as a fan it seemed like there was the Bills and then Von "added" i hope that makes sense. And then the injury perpetuates that feeling for me, again not dissing anyone here.  Probably after he comes back and has more time on the team i will start thinking of him as a Buffalo Bill. And with him being so quiet on Damar i would think maybe it was being respectful of the situation as stated upthread.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

On a somewhat related note…Has he even been on the sidelines or even in Buffalo since the surgery?

He commented on this.  At this point in his recovery he doesn't feel comfortable enough in his ability to avoid potential fast moving players.  It's a safety concern.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

He commented on this.  At this point in his recovery he doesn't feel comfortable enough in his ability to avoid potential fast moving players.  It's a safety concern.

My understanding is he’s been with the team but not on the sidelines yet during games (for the reason you cite). 

Edited by Punch
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, GaryPinC said:

Thanks for your input. I was curious, why would Hamlin need a stress echo to diagnose hypertrophy?  If it had progressed to the point it contributed to the fatal arrhythmia on a routine hit, wouldn't it show up on routine echo wall dimensions and FS/EF measurements?

A stress echo can give additional info as to whether left ventricle outflow tract obstruction occurs with exercise (stress). it may give helpful data in borderline cases
See https://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardiology/ten-points-to-remember/2017/11/17/09/17/role-of-exercise-testing-in-hypertrophic-cardiomyopathy

Since commitio cordis is a diagnosis of exclusion, I’m guessing his docs will do all they can to rule out alternate diagnoses. 

getwell.jpg

The Get Well cards as posted above is based on my san diego Billsbackers facebook. They will even provide supplies to make cards on Sunday at the club. Get them to #3 as directed.

winut.jpg

Edited by muppy

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

I've noticed this too and I was wondering the same thing.  Not judging him or anything, but it feels like he kind of vanished.  I'm sure that's probably not actually the case.

Edit: Whoops, I should have kept reading.  Thanks to everybody who answered this.

Edited by BillsFanSD

58 minutes ago, billybob71 said:

was watching Mcdermott press conference from yesterday on youtube and unfortunately read some of the comments below the video, boy it don't take long for some people to go back to being  show they never stopped being complete jackasses. 

Fixed it for ya.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Holy crap! This is about as good an outcome as we could have hoped for at this point, right?

From what I've been told to expect, this outcome is on the very upper end of what was possible.  

It's probably fair to start thinking more about what this injury means for Hamlin career-wise.  Obviously that wasn't the main focus yesterday.  If this was really commotio cordis, my understanding is that there's excellent chance that he returns to football.  Things change if there's an underlying heart issue that nobody knew about.  That will all get sorted out of course.

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Holy crap! This is about as good an outcome as we could have hoped for at this point, right?

Feels that way to me.  I really thought that we had witnessed the unthinkable Monday night.  Just waiting to hear that he is going to live a normal life, free of any nasty side effects.  It all sounds very promising thus far.

21 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

This is awesome

A little background on just why it's so awesome. 

Yesterday in the hospital press conference, one of the physicians stated that Damar was proned because he was suffering from ARDS (acute respiratory distress syndrome).  This is common in "post resuscitation syndrome".  Briefly and simply, while CPR and defibrillation save lives, the loss of circulation/oxygenation and the mechanical compression and ventilation of CPR cause an inflammatory response similar to sepsis not just in lungs but in other organs such as liver and kidneys.  There is sometimes aspiration of saliva or stomach contents into the lungs as well, causing pneumonia (reducing this is the reason why intermingled compressions and breaths were nixed from CPR protocols, BTW).

So in addition to needing ventilation while in the post-CPR hypothermia protocol, Dane likely needed breathing assistance because of the chemical soup and goop in his lungs (from his body's inflammatory response) hindering gas exchange.  That he's been able to get off the ventilator and breathe on his own less than 96 hrs after the event, is a testament to 1) the speed and quality of the emergency response minimizing this 2) Damar's innate physical condition and health fighting it 3) the quality of the care he's been receiving in hospital treating it

giphy.gif

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 7

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.