Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

3 minutes ago, CaliBills said:

Last August, My family went through this exact situation with my younger brother who stopped breathing in the early AM due to swelling in his spinal cord caused by a recent emergency neck surgery that they needed to put disks in.  He also had sleep apnea.  So the combination caused him to stop breathing and the Ambulance was called. Unfortunately, CPR was not started until minutes after the 911 called..  and he was then intubated and induced into a coma so they can allow the body/brain to heal, etc.. 24 hours had to go by before the next test.

Tonight, when they take Damar out of the induced coma, they are hoping his body can remain stable from a functioning standpoint, heart beating, lungs, etc.  

My brother, had seizures immediately upon waking up, so they had to put him back into a coma and run a brain scan.  That is when we found out he was considered to have no brain activity and as a family decided to let him go.  

Last night, seeing the players/coaches/this feed, made memories come flooding back.  It was a difficult night for us all but I can only hope his family stays positive and no matter what happens, to remember what Damar would have wanted in all of this.

I hope he comes out unscathed and he can be with his family for the foreseeable future.

My sincerest condolences to you and your family. Heartbreaking.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Draconator said:

ESPN just now reported from a reporter outside the hospital. The reporter has been talking to doctors leaving the hospital. One doctor is saying we won't hear anything for 24 hours after the event because they sedate the patient and cool the body to preserve brain function. Then after 24 hours, they will begin to wake the patient. The doctor said he has seen many of the cases like what Hamlin suffered, and the prognosis is good. 

everyone is understandably trying to read the tea leaves out of deep concern, including me.  For 1 doctor to see many cases like this makes commotio cordis a less likely cause since there are only about 30 cases per year documented.  Still, this is encouraging news

Edited by redtail hawk

6 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

Not suggesting slowing this goodness but given Hamlin today vs yesterday, I would a little feel better targeting different help—beyond toys. 

We're in a holding pattern right now, no one knows what's to come for Damar. He may recover fully and live a long,  healthy life. Medical bills will be paid by the team, so until we know more, doing this is better than doing nothing at all. A ton of good will come from from these donations, which is the most important thing.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, CaliBills said:

Last August, My family went through this exact situation with my younger brother who stopped breathing in the early AM due to swelling in his spinal cord caused by a recent emergency neck surgery that they needed to put disks in.  He also had sleep apnea.  So the combination caused him to stop breathing and the Ambulance was called. Unfortunately, CPR was not started until minutes after the 911 called..  and he was then intubated and induced into a coma so they can allow the body/brain to heal, etc.. 24 hours had to go by before the next test.

Tonight, when they take Damar out of the induced coma, they are hoping his body can remain stable from a functioning standpoint, heart beating, lungs, etc.  

My brother, had seizures immediately upon waking up, so they had to put him back into a coma and run a brain scan.  That is when we found out he was considered to have no brain activity and as a family decided to let him go.  

Last night, seeing the players/coaches/this feed, made memories come flooding back.  It was a difficult night for us all but I can only hope his family stays positive and no matter what happens, to remember what Damar would have wanted in all of this.

I hope he comes out unscathed and he can be with his family for the foreseeable future.

I am so sorry to hear of your loss.  Much love to you and your family.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

everyone is understandably trying to read the tea leaves out of deep concern, including me.  For 1 doctor to see many cases like this makes commotio cordis a less likely cause since there are only about 30 cases per year documented.  Still, this is encouraging news

I agree... Good for the DR. for speaking up on cases like this.. yet.. i dont think he should talk about cases like this due to the rarity.

3 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

everyone is understandably trying to read the tea leaves out of deep concern, including me.  For 1 doctor to see many cases like this makes commotio cordis a less likely cause since there are only about 30 cases per year documented.

Cardiac arrest, regardless of cause, is common. The post-arrest treatment would be the same.

13 minutes ago, transient said:

Cardiac arrest, regardless of cause, is common. The post-arrest treatment would be the same.

not necessarily, if it was an aortic issue.  many other causes of cardiac arrest would be treated differently. the underlying cause is important to prognosis.

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

Not suggesting slowing this goodness but given Hamlin today vs yesterday, I would a little feel better targeting different help—beyond toys. 

Yeah, his marketing rep explained that the foundation also does back to school drives, kids camps and more. 

• Like (+1) 1

One thing i am certain of... prayers are powerful and at times like this its often all we can do.  So keep Hamlin and his family in your prayers, just as we pray for all those that are dealing with more than they should carry. 

Speculation is natural, but none of us have the answers.  So be kind and considerate.  

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

People want instant answers and resolution, which we've been trained to expect.  This isn't going to be one of those things though

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, dorquemada said:

People want instant answers and resolution, which we've been trained to expect.  This isn't going to be one of those things though

And even once we get some indication of his prognosis, we may not know the full extent of it for weeks or months once any sort of rehab or therapy may need to start.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

At this point I wouldn't care if they gave it all to Hamlin himself.

Prayers UP that he recovers fully and doesn't have any long term affects from this injury wherein he would need the money to take care of his day to day needs. 

This whole thing sucks. I hate this for Damar Hamlin and his family. 

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

And even once we get some indication of his prognosis, we may not know the full extent of it for weeks or months once any sort of rehab or therapy may need to start.

Agree however it would be very relieving to know at some point soon he can breathe on his own. 

• Agree 1

I know we all want positive news ASAP but when they use therapeutic hypothermia in post-ROSC patient it’s usually for at least 24 hours. I honestly doubt they are going to dial back sedation at 11pm.

Hopefully we hear he is being weaned tomorrow morning.

Edited by NyQuil
  • Agree 2

28 minutes ago, CaliBills said:

I am sorry for your loss, and clearly you went into a situation that is similar, where once the patient is in medical care, the family has no choice but to wait and pray for the best outcome while the hours tick by.

Medically, and I think this is important to note, this is NOT the same situation as your brother experienced, in a number of critical aspects.  I mean no disrespect, but this is a fraught time with everyone combing the interwebs for scraps of information, so I think it's important to point this out.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

My respect for Pat McAfee and his Pro Wrestler Persona just went up a notch

Edited by Beck Water
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.