Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Here is something else nobody really thinks of...

How often is that AED equipment actually checked?  God forbid what would have happened if the equipment wasn't charged or it was faulty due to not being checked for months or years?  Are those things regularly inspected?  IMHO, if it isn't being done already, that should be a required thing to have functioning prior to a game being allowed to start now.

doesn’t seem like something these high profile organizations would overlook. 

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

How often is that AED equipment actually checked?  God forbid what would have happened if the equipment wasn't charged or it was faulty due to not being checked for months or years?  Are those things regularly inspected?  IMHO, if it isn't being done already, that should be a required thing to have functioning prior to a game being allowed to start now.

We have an AED where I work.  It is regularly checked by the company that provided it.  Im sure the thing is regularly checked in the stadiums. These units are checked at least monthly.  

3 minutes ago, IBTG81 said:

A few years ago, I ensured we had one at our little league. Our local hospital donated one. 
We inspect it once a year, before the season starts. 

Oof.  These should be checked monthly.  I would try to change that if I were you.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

We have an AED where I work.  It is regularly checked by the company that provided it.  Im sure the thing is regularly checked in the stadiums. These units are checked at least monthly.  

Oof.  These should be checked monthly.  I would try to change that if I were you.

Seriously? Ugh. Will do. 
I’m on the board and I’ll have that instituted. 
Thank you!

9 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I can try very briefly.  We have far more knowledgeable people here who are likely busy treating patients but I have full confidence will nonetheless put me right if I'm wrong.

-For certain emergency conditions, including neurological trauma AND cardiac arrest (heart stoppage), one protocol calls for chilling the patient's body for 24 hrs

-The patient is then re-warmed over 12-20 hrs

-To accomplish this, the patient is sedated and put on a ventilator, which breathes for them. 

-While they're sedated and ventilated, we get none, zero, no info about their ability to breathe on their own, their neurological function and so forth, because, we're not talking give them a little Valium - this is serious, OR-grade sedation

So if this is the protocol being followed, doing the math, 24 + 12 or 20, we would expect no "good news" updates about Hamlin for at LEAST 36-44 hrs, until Weds morning or afternoon.  If you are stressed out and unable to eat or sleep, Please, for your health, take a walk, go look at your favorite view, pat some grass, eat a ***** snack, and take a nap.

By the way, the protocols I've found on this procedure (new since my decades-old time in the ER) all state that no alteration of care or decision based on the patient's neurological status should be made for 72 hrs after the cooling and re-warming protocols are completed - which is why that Twitter dudes "update" is to be disregarded and treated with the respect it deserves 💩

Thank you for your detailed response.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, IBTG81 said:

Seriously? Ugh. Will do. 
Thank you!

I would.  Last thing you want is a failure when its needed.  You might at least check the battery.  Our unit has a button on it for a battery test.  You might even be able to check that yourself.  Look into it at least.

12 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Yes they are, there is a button you push that checks the battery. I know when I had one in my old job I had to take the course and every week I needed to test the system. 

5 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Does anyone have an idea of any possible realistic timeline for updates? Would it be crazy to think we could hear something this morning or are we thinking it’s at least 24 hours before any sort of information?

I posted this previously, but it obviously got buried pretty quickly. As a critical care nurse this is what I would expect going forward.

What we know is he is intubated and in the critical care unit. After cardiac arrest the patient will be in hypothermia protocol. This means he will be deeply sedated to limit any stimulation. This will go on for 24-48 hours. There will be no updates during this period, as there is nothing to update as long as his vitals remain stabilized.

After the time period, they will reduce sedation and test his ability to respond. This is the first step in assessing brain function. Depending on his response, they may need to sedate him further. You typically only try these tests 1 or 2 times a day.

With all this said. I wouldn't expect any meaningful updates until Thursday. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 11

12 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Inspection details are usually contained in each individual company’s QMS. Our company checks for charge quarterly per our QMS. Additionally, every 12 months they need to be re-certified by a qualified technician. Just like fire extinguishers, calibration tools and first aid kits. 

10 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The AEDs at my former place of employment were checked every year.  That should be the case for AEDs in shopping malls, stadia, etc but Who Knows?

Emergency medical equipment positioned for the use of medical professionals (paramedics or hospital) should be checked once a shift.  

I can't imagine the medical professionals on-call for an NFL game not checking the equipment before each game.

21 minutes ago, IBTG81 said:

Seriously? Ugh. Will do. 
Thank you!

At the least, note the manufacturer and model and contact them regarding the recommended maintenance schedule.

They do vary depending upon the age of the unit, the type of battery etc.

Then follow it

16 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Yes they are, there is a button you push that checks the battery. I know when I had one in my old job I had to take the course and every week I needed to test the system. 

Yes, the battery should be checked, but periodically, according to the mfr recommendation, it should actually be inspected and calibrated to be sure that the programming is functional and the shock delivered is up to spec.  This was 1x/yr where I used to work. 

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Every month in our office

• Like (+1) 1

I know we are in the first 24 hours of this, and all eagerly awaiting great medical news while we pray for Damar and his family.

I also am happy and amazed at the millions flowing to his toy drive charity, what that surely means to him and his family, and what that says about all the people who donated.

But as the dust settles, I think we can all find a way to have this story have an even happier ending, bringing awareness to CPR and AED equipment, and find together the right way to pour some of our love and energy into that, and pay it forward where the quick medical action and available resources that we all are now hoping will have saved Damar's life become more widespread through sports at all levels, and this deeply tragic moment can find a way to make the world a better place in a lasting way that can help save lives for years to come.

I don't want to start any thread or make any specific suggestion now, but I urge those of you with more knowledge of the subject to think about what we might be able to do together in the coming weeks and months whether awareness, charity, or an individual commitment to CPR training.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Information coming from reporters at the hospital, is that Damar went into cardiac arrest a second time last night at the hospital and was revived again. 

Information starts at around 49 minute mark.... 

https://twitter.com/i/spaces/1yoJMZlRjOWxQ

It’s interesting listening to doctors disagreeing with each other. We hear someone is a doctor and we automatically think they are right. Doctors do disagree with other doctors.

• Like (+1) 4

21 minutes ago, KingBoots8 said:

For those who want/need to see the Scott Van Pelt and Ryan Clark coverage, I found this. 

They were tremendous last night. SVP and Clark could not have done a better job by the Hamlin and the players involved. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.