Leslie Frazier expected to be "in the mix" for Broncos HC job

Big Turk

11 hours ago, Mango said:

I am not sure if this is sarcastic or not. We’ve been hearing whispers of what a douche Russ is in Seattle for a bit now. Now he’s calling Seattle plays at the Denver line of scrimmage.

The Denver job seems like a giant mess. I would stay far far away if I was serious about being a HC. 

I agree with you. Also, how much does he actually need to be a HC at this point in his career? 

Why? To be in charge? Win a Super Bowl? Money?

He’s 63 and the DC of a consistently top flight defense and in the mix for the SB the last few years. I don’t get what Denver offers somebody like Frazier. It seems like a miserable position for anybody well established in the league. 

he may be better off like Dick LeBeau and retire a well regarded DC.  Although the bend and don’t break stuff is scaring me.  

59 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Leslie Frazier would be a HUGE mistake to take the Denver job.

Frazier is a defensive coach,   They need a coach that can "fix" Russell Wilson.  Denver defense is not the issue.

Secondly, who wants to go to a division with two great QBs, Herbert and Mahomes, and one good QB in Carr.

I get your point.  But on the other side,  your last paragraph could be the motivation for hiring a defensive minded coach who brings in a OC who can focus fully on the offense rather than all the HC tasks.  

12 hours ago, Since1981 said:

Broncos need an offensive savant to fix Wilson. That’s not Frazier : -/

NEXT

Why not? They went with 1st time HCs the last 3 hires and none worked. Frazier is well respected in the league and has been around forever. You don’t think he can assemble a good staff? 

Plus he has had some success against Mahomes just this past season. And he went to the playoffs with Christian Ponder. People rip on him a lot here but he’s a good coach and the Broncos could use a steady presence after the year they’ve gone through 

1 hour ago, nosejob said:

I think his best fit would be the Bears. He can rebrand himself and be the Sage in building a new Bears Defense. They can market the heck out of new takes on Monsters of the midway. Sell seats and merch. He could prove he's the guru and not just marching to someone else's philosophy.

The Bears will be going all out to build their D this year.  I haven't looked at the coaching situation, just think that would be the best scenario and probably the only chance he would have.

They just hired Eberflus last year. Bears are terrible but the coaching hasn’t been the issue 

12 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

No way they hire a defensive coach with Wilson having the problems he is having. They have to salvage that somehow as they cannot get out of that contract anytime soon.

They can fix Wilson with an innovative OC. What the Broncos need first and foremost is a leader of men at the helm. Someone to change the culture of the team. Is Leslie Frazier that guy, I don't know. I've heard players in the past speak highly of Daboll. I knew he'd be successful in NY. I hope Frazier can be that guy. Denver has talent on their roster. 

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Leslie Frazier would be a HUGE mistake to take the Denver job.

Frazier is a defensive coach,   They need a coach that can "fix" Russell Wilson.  Denver defense is not the issue.

Secondly, who wants to go to a division with two great QBs, Herbert and Mahomes, and one good QB in Carr.

Ummm.... Sean McDermott!! 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Why not? They went with 1st time HCs the last 3 hires and none worked. Frazier is well respected in the league and has been around forever. You don’t think he can assemble a good staff? 

Plus he has had some success against Mahomes just this past season. And he went to the playoffs with Christian Ponder. People rip on him a lot here but he’s a good coach and the Broncos could use a steady presence after the year they’ve gone through 

They just hired Eberflus last year. Bears are terrible but the coaching hasn’t been the issue 

I was too lazy to look that up. Since he was on the 85 team, I just think it'd be a selling point.....and his only chance.

And since this has turned into a Broncos thread, Broncos beat K.C. 27-24

Edited by nosejob

13 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

No way they hire a defensive coach with Wilson having the problems he is having. They have to salvage that somehow as they cannot get out of that contract anytime soon.

It may depend on who the final NC candidate says they will bring in terms of an offensive staff.  I know the focus os always on the HC, but the DC and OC are critical also.

The Denver job is as bad as the Bills job was when Chan Gailey was signed off the scrap heap because nobody else wanted the job because it was literally a no-win situation.  The Wilson contract is a dead weight that will sink Denver for years.  No decent coach will go there without a guarantee from ownership that the 1st 2 seasons records won't be held against him.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Frazier is well respected in the league and has been around forever.

I will be shocked if he gets HC gig. Society and NFL culture want a blend of new, shiny, eloquent, flamboyant, offense. No part of that is Frazier.

I might argue there is indeed discrimination, but it is ageism (63+). Other than inside promotion (ala MN), it would take a unique owner to hire him as HC from outside org. today. 

2 hours ago, Since1981 said:

I will be shocked if he gets HC gig. Society and NFL culture want a blend of new, shiny, eloquent, flamboyant, offense. No part of that is Frazier.

I might argue there is indeed discrimination, but it is ageism (63+). Other than inside promotion (ala MN), it would take a unique owner to hire him as HC from outside org. today. 

This is a fair point. Even still, I wouldn’t be shocked if Denver gave him legit consideration given they need a steady presence 

7 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Frazier could make the Broncos D better and depending on how the rest of this season plays out teams may want to hire the guy who knows how to shutdown MVP caliber QBs on the road or in the playoffs. Frazier should be a top candidate. 

It's just the on the road in the playoffs is the sticking point.🤓 He should have gotten the Chicago vacancy. It is a crime that he didn't. Hopefully everyone has forgotten 13 seconds and he can get a fair shake this cycle. 

On the assumption that Frazier lands a HC job somewhere, do this Bills promote Eric Washington to DC?  He was DC in Carolina for a couple of seasons, so it wouldn't be his first go at it.  Seems he commands a lot of respect from the players and might be a solid candidate for a potential DC opening.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, ChasBB said:

On the assumption that Frazier lands a HC job somewhere, do this Bills promote Eric Washington to DC?  He was DC in Carolina for a couple of seasons, so it wouldn't be his first go at it.  Seems he commands a lot of respect from the players and might be a solid candidate for a potential DC opening.

Yeah, he's been the talked-about name in that regard for some time now

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/27/2022 at 9:18 PM, Since1981 said:

Broncos need an offensive savant to fix Wilson. That’s not Frazier : -/

NEXT

It's not up to the HC to "fix Wilson." They need a HC for the entire team and culture there. You never know, Frazier might be the guy who can get Wilson into the right headspace, like Pete Carol was. 

On 12/27/2022 at 10:50 PM, Richard Noggin said:

Can you say more about the "complete scheme mismatch with Wilson"? That's intriguing. Not because I disagree, but because I love to read about schemes and player fits. 

And also because Payton has helped a number of very different QBs perform at their best over the years. 

It’s not going to be Payton.  Numerous Broncos reporters have said he isn’t coming to Denver.  Also, any team that wants Payton will essentially need to trade for him and thanks the the awful Wilson trade, Denver is already down on picks.

Finally, it’s been reported that Vic Fangio is Payton’s DC.  I can imagine either side would want to work to work together again

Given his resume he should be at a hole lot higher place than Hackett was for sure but i'm glad he's still here he is a very settling & steady part of the Bills coaching staff & has been fairly consistent with his D since he's been here but is time is running short i feel . 

Meaning he will or should definitely be on a bunch of teams list that need a new HC and if he does leave eh will be sorely missed & will always be a part of the Bills family ut wouldn't it be great if he helped bring the Lombardy to Buffalo before he goes ?? 

HELL YAH IT WOULD - GO BILLS !! 

It won’t be a slight after position as to the mess Hackett created so the big names like Sean Peyton wouldn’t take that job.  The good news is Frazier could take that defense to the next level, and hire an innovative young offensive mind.

There is some talent on the offense.  The OC would need to figure out an offense Russel can work under.  The OC would have to figure out an offense Russel can perform as it’s clear Hackett screwed the pooch on that one.

Edited by machine gun kelly

21 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Who becomes the new DC?  You want another downgrade like we had at OC?

I still don’t see Dorsey as a downgrade…Daboll had an extra veteran wide receiver, overall better offensive line play, an easier schedule, and his qb didn’t sprain his elbow  and he got the same production or worse out of the offense. This seems like a recency bias thing…we were all on here last year complaining the same amount or more about Daboll  😂

frazier has done pretty well considering our secondary was absolutely decimated by injuries most of the year…I think that aspect is what might intrigue teams.  We beat the chiefs with raw rookies/practice squad level talent all over the defensive backfield.  I wouldn’t hire him as a head coach without a solid plan for an OC though.  And if I was Frazier I would turn down the broncos job 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

On 12/27/2022 at 11:37 PM, Mango said:

I am not sure if this is sarcastic or not. We’ve been hearing whispers of what a douche Russ is in Seattle for a bit now. Now he’s calling Seattle plays at the Denver line of scrimmage.

The Denver job seems like a giant mess. I would stay far far away if I was serious about being a HC. 

I agree with you. Also, how much does he actually need to be a HC at this point in his career? 

Why? To be in charge? Win a Super Bowl? Money?

He’s 63 and the DC of a consistently top flight defense and in the mix for the SB the last few years. I don’t get what Denver offers somebody like Frazier. It seems like a miserable position for anybody well established in the league. 

He and his family may enjoy living in WNY more so than moving to a new city.   Then again perhaps he would prefer a different nfl location..  Basically it is all about what Coach Frazier wants. He's certainly more than capable of deciding what he would like in his future and will proceed accordingly.  

If he wants to be a HC again then by all means I hope he gets his first choice amongst any openings he interviews for.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.