Leslie Frazier expected to be "in the mix" for Broncos HC job

Big Turk

8 hours ago, Since1981 said:

Broncos need an offensive savant to fix Wilson. That’s not Frazier : -/

NEXT

Well that really depends on what offensive coordinator  and qb coach Frazier brings with him to the staff.

Like Sean Mcdermott aint no QB guru but he hired Daboll which really allowed Josh to skyrocket.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The attractiveness of the Denver job comes down to "do you think Russ is fixable?" 

If you answer yes it is the best job on the market. 

If you answer no it is the worst job on the market. 

Russ is absolutely fixable, but you have to get it through to him that his strengths are not as a pocket passer. Then a coach has to bring in an OC that will run the only offense that he was successful in that has very simple reads and allows for a lot of off-schedule plays (letting Russ cook). Darrell Bevell, the coach who scouted and drafted Wilson and developed the offense that led Russ to the SB, is currently QB coach in Miami and would probably take that OC job in Denver.

On 12/20/2022 at 3:22 AM, Mr. Irrelevant said:

As long as we have Josh Allen, anything is possible.  The Bills have their flaws, but so does everyone else.  The difference maker is #17.  That kid is incredible.  If the Bills could get one or two difference makers, WOW!  What a force they would be.  A dominant RB or a 2nd WR.  Perhaps a gamechanger at DL or LB.  But that's all wishful thinking.  The kid from Firebaugh is the envy of the NFL.  And he's a Buffalo Bill!!!   

Saw the Bills finally defeat the Dolphins in 1980.  Suffered the 4 Super Bowl losses.  17 years without making the playoffs.  Then, this kid from Reedley Jr. College and the University of Wyoming arrives!  Couldn't be more thankful.   Merry Christmas everyone!

8 hours ago, chongli said:

I wonder if Frazier's age (63) has anything to do with teams' reluctance to hire him?

“ 13 Seconds”. That’s his Legacy!! He blew a Lead with 13 seconds left-inexcusable!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

11 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Well that really depends on what offensive coordinator  and qb coach Frazier brings with him to the staff.

Like Sean Mcdermott aint no QB guru but he hired Daboll which really allowed Josh to skyrocket.

This. 

I think Frazier would be a very good choice. Plus would allow a good OC to focus only on the offense. Having an offensive mind as a HC, would would be less effective IMO having  multiple responsibilities. Get a good OC and let a HC like Frazier focus on the entire team and culture. 

5 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

This. 

I think Frazier would be a very good choice. Plus would allow a good OC to focus only on the offense. Having an offensive mind as a HC, would would be less effective IMO having  multiple responsibilities. Get a good OC and let a HC like Frazier focus on the entire team and culture. 

I sincerely hope Leslie gets another HC opportunity and I wish him the very best if he leaves.

Edited by TAinLA
spelling
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Here we go again...Frazier apparently a candidate for every HC job but always gets passed over for a young offensive coach it seems...

Given +1600 odds to become next Bronco coach...Payton odds on favorite at +400 but that doesn't make any sense to me...complete scheme mismatch with Wilson.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/bills-leslie-frazier-early-odds-171551834.html

Leslie need to land a job. He deserves it and we could use the 3rd. 

Frazier should of already been given chance and I hope he does- not out of any type of spite though, he deserves it 

The league went to offensive guys for a bit but you gotta think guys like McDaniel and Hackett show not to just hire guys for that reason - so confused on what anyone saw in them as HC

Edited by BlazinBill

9 hours ago, Mango said:

Frazier gets one more shot at a HC gig. Outside of the 3 gigs open, there are another 20 or so teams that would fire their current coach and hire Payton if he told them he wanted to be there.

Why on earth either of those two guys would take the Denver job is beyond me. That has to be just as bad as the last few Houston openings. 

They would also be ready to hand over the trade compensation as NO says if Peyton ever coaches again. 

9 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

New ownership likely wants to make a splash.

Payton’s the shiny new toy they surely desire.

It will take a nice shiny 1st and more to get that shiny Peyton 

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Pete Carroll wasn’t that and Wilson did great in Seattle. 

Hmmm let’s see. Geno Smith seems to be playing fine. Wilson???? Finally tied his bathroom count with TDs. 

16 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:

Please tell me this is serious and not a Rooney move. 

A widely respected and honorable man works his ass off to reach the pinnacle of his career and other organizations show interest in his expertise and leadership.

And there are still people in this world that will sully that man and his success by suggesting that the real reason somebody would be interested in such an accomplished man is only his race.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Ravens another. 

Didn't the Bills drive down the field to win that game. The Lions game started with about 20-25 seconds. Then Josh hit Diggs with the long pass immediately. Similar to 13 seconds. The Ravens game the Bills had more time.

Just now, Greg S said:

Didn't the Bills drive down the field to win that game. The Lions game started with about 20-25 seconds. Then Josh hit Diggs with the long pass immediately. Similar to 13 seconds. The Ravens game the Bills had more time.

Yes ravens had more time. But it was also 20-0 for Ravens. That elite defense should lock down that win right?  

the league has switched to Offense being much more important. So a 13 second comeback to tie a game or have a walkoff winning FG isn’t out of the normal anymore. 

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Yes ravens had more time. But it was also 20-0 for Ravens. That elite defense should lock down that win right?  

the league has switched to Offense being much more important. So a 13 second comeback to tie a game or have a walkoff winning FG isn’t out of the normal anymore. 

Yes, they should have. Coming back from 20-0 is impressive. The Lions game resembled the Chiefs game. Chiefs tie it up starting a drive with 13 seconds left. Bills break a tie starting a drive with 20-25 seconds.

2 hours ago, gjv said:

Frazier has earned a chance to be an HC. On a selfish note, I don't want to see him leave his role as DC with the Bills. I think he has done an outstanding job crafting top defenses year after year with average to above-average talent.

and add all those injuries to key players...Hyde, Poyer, Oliver, Miller, Edmunds, Milano, White,  Phillips, Rosseau, Epenesa all have missed games during the regular season and yet they are 3 plays away from being 15-0. 

5 hours ago, Nelius said:

I wish Leslie all the best and hope he gets a head coaching job somewhere, I just don't want to see him go to the ownership dumpster fire that is Denver. All of that fighting and nonsense on the sidelines is a trickle down from the years of chaos since Bowlen's death. The Russ deal being the centerpiece. He can't save Denver, don't even try.

The ownership has been there less than a year. They weren't the ones that hired Hackett.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

It offers him a shot though, right? 

To have success as a Head Coach is the ultimate win, it's what virtually every coach wants and my understanding is that Frazier is no different, and I don't blame him for a second. He's not necessarily going to have his pick of multiple jobs here if he even does get an offer.

Best case scenario, Denver is set up to be a place where you provide some stability and then you get fired for somebody to make them competitive. 

Like you said, success as a head coach is the goal. There is no success for a 63 DC in that role. He will not compete for a Super Bowl there. Job interviews are two way interviews. You don't have to take or even want every job you are offered. If coaching was still my profession I would run far far away from the Broncos right now.

To sweeten the pot, the HC and GM will role up to different people. 

Edited by Mango
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, FrenchConnection said:

Russ is absolutely fixable, but you have to get it through to him that his strengths are not as a pocket passer. Then a coach has to bring in an OC that will run the only offense that he was successful in that has very simple reads and allows for a lot of off-schedule plays (letting Russ cook). Darrell Bevell, the coach who scouted and drafted Wilson and developed the offense that led Russ to the SB, is currently QB coach in Miami and would probably take that OC job in Denver.

The problem with that is he is noticeably less mobile than he was. He isn't anywhere near the elusive runner he was as peak Russ. I think if you are going to make it work it is going to need to be largely from the pocket and that is what makes it challenging because you are right that was never really the basis of his game.

11 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Here we go again...Frazier apparently a candidate for every HC job but always gets passed over for a young offensive coach it seems...

Given +1600 odds to become next Bronco coach...Payton odds on favorite at +400 but that doesn't make any sense to me...complete scheme mismatch with Wilson.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/bills-leslie-frazier-early-odds-171551834.html

The move for Leslie would be to hire Brian Scottenheimer as OC from Dallas who previously had some success with Russ in Seattle.  I think this is going to be Dan Quinn’s move though, and he seems to be the one everyone is thinking for HC

47 minutes ago, Mango said:

Best case scenario, Denver is set up to be a place where you provide some stability and then you get fired for somebody to make them competitive. 

Like you said, success as a head coach is the goal. There is no success for a 63 DC in that role. He will not compete for a Super Bowl there. Job interviews are two way interviews. You don't have to take or even want every job you are offered. If coaching was still my profession I would run far far away from the Broncos right now.

To sweeten the pot, the HC and GM will role up to different people. 

Sounds exactly like what happened with Pegula and Rex. That worked out great.

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

They tried that last year with Bridgewater. It didn't work. The other thing was Fangio was his in game decision making sucked. Great defensive mind. Built a fantastic young defense. But couldn't get a Quarterback and mismanaged games on gameday.

I did forget about Bridgewater. In that last season with Fangio, the Broncos played better with him and played hard right to the end and did some good things, but it wasn’t enough. 

Re the in-game mismanagement, I think that is par for the course for most NFL coaches, IMO. 

11 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Leslie Frazier would be a HUGE mistake to take the Denver job.

Frazier is a defensive coach,   They need a coach that can "fix" Russell Wilson.  Denver defense is not the issue.

Secondly, who wants to go to a division with two great QBs, Herbert and Mahomes, and one good QB in Carr.

He’d probably turn that job down honestly…this would be his last chance probably 

• Agree 1

if you narrow it to a coach decision Frazier is not going to bubble-up to the top of the candidate list...if you want to build a foundation first where culture comes next to find and develop good people and decisions, then maybe he has a chance...

I wouldnt mind him moving on for multiple good reasons, including draft choice...but first we got some business to take care of...hopefully two playoff games at home

I think his best fit would be the Bears. He can rebrand himself and be the Sage in building a new Bears Defense. They can market the heck out of new takes on Monsters of the midway. Sell seats and merch. He could prove he's the guru and not just marching to someone else's philosophy.

The Bears will be going all out to build their D this year.  I haven't looked at the coaching situation, just think that would be the best scenario and probably the only chance he would have.

3 hours ago, eball said:

Since this is the Broncos and I’m a Bills fan, should I be “paying attention” to this thread?

Yep.  I watched a bit of NFL Network yesterday after the firing was announced and one of their analysts (sorry, can’t remember name) said he has watched all of Russ’ tape this year and thinks he has fallen off the cliff.  It wasn’t meant to be a hot take; he said he really can’t remember a QB “losing it” as quickly as Wilson has.  That’s scary for Denver if true.

I know he was injured a lot in his final season in Seattle but it looked like a lesser Wilson before he got hurt. This year he looked worse and I'm sure new system and new HC were a large part of the problem, but he just doesn't look like the Wilson of old. I think the Seahawks made out like bandits in the Wilson deal.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.