Leslie Frazier expected to be "in the mix" for Broncos HC job

Big Turk

Here we go again...Frazier apparently a candidate for every HC job but always gets passed over for a young offensive coach it seems...

Given +1600 odds to become next Bronco coach...Payton odds on favorite at +400 but that doesn't make any sense to me...complete scheme mismatch with Wilson.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/bills-leslie-frazier-early-odds-171551834.html

Edited by Big Turk

8 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Here we go again...Frazier apparently a candidate for every HC job but always gets passed over for a young offensive coach it seems...

Given +1600 odds to become next Bronco coach...Payton odds on favorite at +400 but that doesn't make any sense to me...complete scheme mismatch with Wilson.

Can you say more about the "complete scheme mismatch with Wilson"? That's intriguing. Not because I disagree, but because I love to read about schemes and player fits. 

And also because Payton has helped a number of very different QBs perform at their best over the years. 

Edited by Richard Noggin
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

No way they hire a defensive coach with Wilson having the problems he is having. They have to salvage that somehow as they cannot get out of that contract anytime soon.

If a defensive coach, they’d hire an experienced OC perhaps with connections to Wilson or a Shanahan disciple. It could accomplish the same goal and streamline communication with Wilson.

• Like (+1) 1

Frazier gets one more shot at a HC gig. Outside of the 3 gigs open, there are another 20 or so teams that would fire their current coach and hire Payton if he told them he wanted to be there.

Why on earth either of those two guys would take the Denver job is beyond me. That has to be just as bad as the last few Houston openings. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

New ownership likely wants to make a splash.

Payton’s the shiny new toy they surely desire.

And they have the one piece a HC needs to be successful, a proven QB. It’s a shame they squandered so much draft capital and cap space. Digging out of that mess will be a chore. Nice to have options as a well regarded Head Coach in the NFL. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

And they have the one piece a HC needs to be successful, a proven QB. It’s a shame they squandered so much draft capital and cap space. Digging out of that mess will be a chore. Nice to have options as a well regarded Head Coach in the NFL. 

I am not sure if this is sarcastic or not. We’ve been hearing whispers of what a douche Russ is in Seattle for a bit now. Now he’s calling Seattle plays at the Denver line of scrimmage.

The Denver job seems like a giant mess. I would stay far far away if I was serious about being a HC. 

Just now, Warcodered said:

Doesn't feel like a great job to take, but how much picking choosing is he able/feel he can do at this point in his career.

I agree with you. Also, how much does he actually need to be a HC at this point in his career? 

Why? To be in charge? Win a Super Bowl? Money?

He’s 63 and the DC of a consistently top flight defense and in the mix for the SB the last few years. I don’t get what Denver offers somebody like Frazier. It seems like a miserable position for anybody well established in the league. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Frazier makes sense because it allows you to hire that hotshot OC to “fix” Wilson and it insulates that coach from all the pressure. Nobody aside from a Payton or Sean McVay is going to be able to fix Wilson and run a team. It’s essentially the Bills model. McDermott was hired to oversee the whole thing and Daboll was hired to make Josh Allen happen. He was able to focus all his time and attention on the QB without worrying about head coach duties. 

You bring in Frazier who gets you instant credibility to fix the franchise and let the OC fix the QB. 

Frazier did fire Darell Bevell in Minnesota as the scapegoat, but Bevell makes a ton of sense as he made Wilson the guy. Wilson was his project. 

Perhaps an Alex Van Pelt makes sense as the OC from that Shannahan tree. I know he is the OC with the Browns but he doesn’t call plays. 

I think, outside of getting Payton, a Frazier makes a ton of sense for the Broncos. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, chongli said:

I wonder if Frazier's age (63) has anything to do with teams' reluctance to hire him?

That’s my age. It makes me reluctant to get out of bed in the morning.  

He’s certainly a bright man and and effective coach worth an interview, but I see most teams leaning to younger and offensive guys who can be there a decade or two. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, chongli said:

I wonder if Frazier's age (63) has anything to do with teams' reluctance to hire him?

I think it is just the reluctance to hire retreads. It seems people want to hire the young guy around the league. But for a franchise that needs stability, Frazier is a great fit. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Augie said:

That’s my age. It makes me reluctant to get out of bed in the morning.  

He’s certainly a bright man and and effective coach worth an interview, but I see most teams leaning to younger and offensive guys who can be there a decade or two. 

6 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think it is just the reluctance to hire retreads. It seems people want to hire the young guy around the league. But for a franchise that needs stability, Frazier is a great fit. 

Thanks. Yeah, nothing wrong with being past middle-age (I am), but there is so much unconscious age-discrimination going on in society that I thought of that. It's a message that is enforced unknowingly through our media. I hope it's not the case with Frazier, but I suspect that it is a big part.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, chongli said:

Thanks. Yeah, nothing wrong with being past middle-age (I am), but there is so much unconscious age-discrimination going on in society that I thought of that. It's a message that is enforced unknowingly through our media. I hope it's not the case with Frazier, but I suspect that it is a big part.

I’m sorry, I couldn’t hear that. Could you post that in a bigger font? 

• Haha (+1) 6

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I just don’t reasonably think you can expect to win a Super Bowl with Leslie Frazier as your Head Coach.

Realistically, how is he going to recruit the offensive coaches necessary to scheme an offense to outscore Patrick Mahomes in-division, let alone all the other offensive talent in the AFC?

It just feels like a hire for the NFL back in 2002, not 2022. 

3 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Can you say more about the "complete scheme mismatch with Wilson"? That's intriguing. Not because I disagree, but because I love to read about schemes and player fits. 

And also because Payton has helped a number of very different QBs perform at their best over the years. 

Payton is all about timing and rhythm based passing and Wilson is probably the worst player you could possibly ask for to do that...as you see when Hackett asked him to do that.

He basically is all about scrambling around and making something happen...except he no longer has the ability to elude defenders the way he used to so now he just scrambles around and gets sacked mostly. Still makes a play here and there just nowhere near what he used to.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, chongli said:

It’s hard to imagine any team that’s

rebuilding hiring a guy who’ll be 64 in a couple of months, especially in an era when head coaches are getting younger all the time. As qualified as he may be, it’s unlikely he’s getting a head coaching position in the NFL. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

They literally just had the exact same type of coach in Fangio— who did an excellent job. They had no QB, and that did him in. But i would argue that had they kept Fangio and given him even a serviceable QB (like a Mayfield or Trubisky), that was a playoff team. Instead, he got Drew Lock for three years! 

They tried that last year with Bridgewater. It didn't work. The other thing was Fangio was his in game decision making sucked. Great defensive mind. Built a fantastic young defense. But couldn't get a Quarterback and mismanaged games on gameday.

• Like (+1) 1

I wish Leslie all the best and hope he gets a head coaching job somewhere, I just don't want to see him go to the ownership dumpster fire that is Denver. All of that fighting and nonsense on the sidelines is a trickle down from the years of chaos since Bowlen's death. The Russ deal being the centerpiece. He can't save Denver, don't even try.

6 hours ago, chongli said:

How could it not.  Three coaches have coached into their 70s.  So it it works out he would then move on once things got going?   Maybe if they also bring in the heir apparent to mentor under him?

• Like (+1) 1

Frazier has earned a chance to be an HC. On a selfish note, I don't want to see him leave his role as DC with the Bills. I think he has done an outstanding job crafting top defenses year after year with average to above-average talent.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The attractiveness of the Denver job comes down to "do you think Russ is fixable?" 

If you answer yes it is the best job on the market. 

If you answer no it is the worst job on the market. 

I believe Russ is fixable but start with fixing the rest of the offense starting with the OL. Wilson has been sacked more than any other QB. 

Why would a sure HOF QB fall off the rails w/o other contributing factors ? 

• Agree 1

Since this is the Broncos and I’m a Bills fan, should I be “paying attention” to this thread?

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The attractiveness of the Denver job comes down to "do you think Russ is fixable?" 

If you answer yes it is the best job on the market. 

If you answer no it is the worst job on the market. 

Yep.  I watched a bit of NFL Network yesterday after the firing was announced and one of their analysts (sorry, can’t remember name) said he has watched all of Russ’ tape this year and thinks he has fallen off the cliff.  It wasn’t meant to be a hot take; he said he really can’t remember a QB “losing it” as quickly as Wilson has.  That’s scary for Denver if true.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Frank Reich 

Makes sense to me, he'll build up the run game. There's no real fixing Wilson, you salvage him the best you can and work around him. The defense is good, run the ball, run screens, play action, get him easy throws to those good WRs and throw jump balls whenever they're singled, hope to win 10 or 11.

The Broncos do have talent on their roster, Hackett was such a poor choice that it gives you just a little hope. It sucks being tied to Wilson but it's still a somewhat better job than the Houston Texans last year. You're saddled with suboptimal QB play but you do have talent to work with.

Edited by 2020 Our Year For Sure

7 hours ago, Mango said:

I am not sure if this is sarcastic or not. We’ve been hearing whispers of what a douche Russ is in Seattle for a bit now. Now he’s calling Seattle plays at the Denver line of scrimmage.

The Denver job seems like a giant mess. I would stay far far away if I was serious about being a HC. 

I agree with you. Also, how much does he actually need to be a HC at this point in his career? 

Why? To be in charge? Win a Super Bowl? Money?

He’s 63 and the DC of a consistently top flight defense and in the mix for the SB the last few years. I don’t get what Denver offers somebody like Frazier. It seems like a miserable position for anybody well established in the league. 

It offers him a shot though, right? 

To have success as a Head Coach is the ultimate win, it's what virtually every coach wants and my understanding is that Frazier is no different, and I don't blame him for a second. He's not necessarily going to have his pick of multiple jobs here if he even does get an offer.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.