Updated Beasley signing to practice squad

Niagara Dude

5 minutes ago, stlbills13 said:

This very likely isn't a Super Bowl winning move but I feel like something had to be done. McKenzie isn't/wasn't the answer. Plus maybe now this allows him to play a role he's a better fit for. I would have liked to see more Shakir but it's crunch time so if JA didn't feel like he was ready then you don't really have time to experiment with him. Clearly everyone (Bills, Cowboys, Giants) is out on Odell at this point Like I said above, if Beasley goes for 2/12 but moves the chains on a crucial 3rd down, then this is all worth it. It's even better if Beasley actually becomes a semi-factor out of the slot and you can't play two high safeties at all times. Maybe Davis gets open downfield a little more if that happens. I think between this and hopefully running the ball more consistently, you are putting Diggs and Davis in a better chance to succeed. 

You have...5 posts.

My goodness if even less than half of them in the future are like this you are a benefit to this Board.  

Well said, Sir. 

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

You know for most of the season they averaged the most yards per drive in the NFL and are currently 2nd right? We also have the fewest punts in the NFL.  I know we have ridiculous and impossible to meet standards but let's give it a rest with this type of silliness.

You know they have done all of that with McKenzie dropping EVERYTHING.  It's not silly to expect an NFL receiver to be able to catch a 7 yard pass and or get some yards after said catch.  It's also not unreasonable to expect this high powered offense to stop getting them selves in 3rd and hope situations 4 times on an 80 yard drive.  There is an issue here.  Yes, we are spoiled as compared to the past 25 years but it's ok to point out flaws.  

38 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Beane bringing in another washed up has been just because it's a guy that Beane is familiar with. 

You can go out there and find a better UDFA than Beasley or ***** a guy like Kumerow off a PS. 

This is not a team that needs veteran leadership. If, indeed, Beasley is a "leader" at anything other than mouthing off on twitter. 

Edit: I used a synonym for "grab" that this site censored. Didn't realize it was banned lol

It’s more about what Allen and Dorsey are familiar with. Picking up a street UDFA or a guy off the PS who doesn’t know the offense and had never caught a pass from Josh to see if they can play the role might be a solution in June or July. Not with 3 weeks to go until the playoffs. 

• Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

He also had a massive drop in play.  Clearly the Packers would have looked passed the COVID comments, and they didnt

The Packers have been passing up on players all year. Doesn't mean much

9 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Dude!  I am not saying OBJ is never playing football again.   I am saying that when he comes back I dont expect him to be as productive as he was, even the production he had when he came back from his last injury which was essentially borderline #3.    He has blown out the same knee twice in the last two years.  If that doesnt concern you in the least, fine, so be it.   If you dont think the Bills signing two players at the same position as OBJ plays in the days after he visited the team, fine.  I completely disagree with you.      My thought is they are way more likely to sign either Beasley or Brown to the active roster this year than they are to sign another wideout, especially one who doesnt know the offense, hasnt played with Josh before, and is coming off two serious injuries to the same knee in the last 26 months.

So now saying all that do you expect Beasley to be as productive as last year?  See you want to ignore and talk hyperbole when it comes to OBJ (who was on track to be the SB MVP, I would say that is pretty productive and not a #3

10 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

You conveniently left out the economics of the situation.  A huge factor in moving on from both Brown and Beas was the money.

Another reason for excitement is that in the older players, they are more affected by the compound affects of the beatings they take.  Older players as a rule recover slower.  These are fresh veterans we are getting back for the stretch run.

Economics would fall into the "have all the information" wouldnt it.  

I don't want to overstate the value of this.

I do not see this as a long term remarriage. I legit think that the Bills will try something else to fill the role this off-season. I stand by the decision to cut him. He wasn't worth the cap hit and he was clearly unhappy about something because he wanted a trade. 

This is one of those situations where a marriage falls apart and each side starts seeing other people only to find out the grass isn't as green on the other side. 

The Bills don't have a way to consistently keep drives going when teams move to bracket coverage on Diggs. Beasley has learned what the rest of the league values him at.

And I feel dirty saying this, but I think this helps our Super Bowl chances more than rolling the dice on OBJ at this point. 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Have you been watching Bills football the last 4 seasons?  Beas brings a special skill set, breaking down zone coverage's, that we badly miss.  There is no one available on a practice squad that brings Beasley's special set of skills:  like knowing the O, knowing Allen, having great hands and is sneaky good at finding the open space in a zone.

Did you watch 2021 Cole Beasley when his production took a nose dive as he got older and injured ? He looked washed in 2021 playing for us, and he looked worse on the Bucs in 2022. 

Beasley might have some familiarity with the playbook, but he never played in Dorsey's system. His rapport with Allen has some value, but not enough to make up for his physical deficiencies.  

15 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Have you been watching Bills football the last 4 seasons?  Beas brings a special skill set, breaking down zone coverage's, that we badly miss.  There is no one available on a practice squad that brings Beasley's special set of skills:  like knowing the O, knowing Allen, having great hands and is sneaky good at finding the open space in a zone.

Doesnt matter, he was CUT after those 4 seasons, so evidently those special set of skills diminished or not as effective as you think.  

He didnt have those special skills this year either did he?

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

So now saying all that do you expect Beasley to be as productive as last year?  See you want to ignore and talk hyperbole when it comes to OBJ (who was on track to be the SB MVP, I would say that is pretty productive and not a #3

Economics would fall into the "have all the information" wouldnt it.  

Pointing to one game and allowing it to define his entire season is the definition of hyperbolic. 

Time will tell which one of us is correct.    Maybe its neither of us.

I think it's fair to say that a majority of the people incessantly whining about this signing are doing so solely on the reasoning of their personal vendettas they have against the guy. He was a very good football player for this team, his rapport with Josh is 2nd to none except Diggs, and if healthy/in shape will be a valuable asset to this team in our Playoff run. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I don't want to overstate the value of this.

I do not see this as a long term remarriage. I legit think that the Bills will try something else to fill the role this off-season. I stand by the decision to cut him. He wasn't worth the cap hit and he was clearly unhappy about something because he wanted a trade. 

This is one of those situations where a marriage falls apart and each side starts seeing other people only to find out the grass isn't as green on the other side. 

The Bills don't have a way to consistently keep drives going when teams move to bracket coverage on Diggs. Beasley has learned what the rest of the league values him at.

And I feel dirty saying this, but I think this helps our Super Bowl chances more than rolling the dice on OBJ at this point. 

If they don't why are they the second best team in the NFL on third down?

5 hours ago, Malazan said:

..for 17 yards.. he's not the same guy that took every short pass for 8+ yards in 2020

I think it's fair to say he's not the 2020 Beasley. I don't think any of us or the Bills' brass thinks so either. The real question is can he help the team? Be a more reliable 3rd down receiver than McKenzie. Can he positively contribute? Obviously, the Bills think so or think it's worth a shot. Nothing to lose really just like the Smoke pick up. At this point, and little edge can make a difference. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I dont think Beane messed up the WR room. How could he know after last year and the KC game that Davis would regress so badly, and that Crowder would break an ankle?

This is a move due to the players not developing and doing their part.

If half this board knew we didn't do enough to address the WR room this off-season, I feel like Beane should've known.

The biggest debate we had was where is a third competent outside WR on a pass heavy offense?  We still don't have that. 

Now, I do think it's armchair QB'ing to criticize the Beasley/Crowder/McKenzie situation.  Beasley was owed way more than he was worth as a player for a full season.  Crowder came in cheaper, could do much of the same things, but.. injury prone.  Injuries got him, McKenzie hasn't made the jump from gadget to starting slot and it's been a mess. 

I won't criticize Beane for his handling of the slot wr position... it just didn't work.. but most of us knew we were lacking at WR heading into the season.  It was debated ad nauseum here. 

Just now, H2o said:

I think it's fair to say that a majority of the people incessantly whining about this signing are doing so solely on the reasoning of their personal vendettas they have against the guy. He was a very good football player for this team, his rapport with Josh is 2nd to none except Diggs, and if healthy/in shape will be a valuable asset to this team in our Playoff run. 

Alot of was and ifs in that sentence.

I go back to my initial take

Dont hate it

Most probable outcome Beasley is washed and isnt any more productive than we have.

Best Case outcome after no hitting for a year maybe he can turn back the clock and give us 7 games in 2020 form

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Did you watch 2021 Cole Beasley when his production took a nose dive as he got older and injured ? He looked washed in 2021 playing for us, and he looked worse on the Bucs in 2022. 

Beasley might have some familiarity with the playbook, but he never played in Dorsey's system. His rapport with Allen has some value, but not enough to make up for his physical deficiencies.  

I was ready to move on for football reasons after last year, but I have 0 confidence in any receiver not named Diggs making a play on 3rd & short. Can't be any worse than what we've been seeing.

Just now, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Do you think Dorsey's system is substantially different from Daboll's? Part of the reason he was hired was for the sake of continuity. Allen apparently asked for Beasley, so his opinion is worth noting. I thought he was washed last year. Maybe he is, but I don't see how Beasely can do worse than what we're currently getting from the slot and he might have a late spring and help us for the playoff run and post-season.

24 minutes ago, DC Greg said:

Well said. Josh wanted this, and if he and Beane think it will help, trust their judgement. I am thrilled that Beane listens to the star QB and players in general on things like this. He doesn't let them dictate everything, but I think that his listening and making moves when possible (think giving Poyer that additional incentive in his contract before the season) is further building this great culture the Bills have and the trust between players/management. Beasley is a very low risk potentially "high" (relatively) reward move. 

I know many people disagreed with his vaccine stance and feel butthurt by the way he left, but everyone deserves second chances. He was a great team player for years and well liked and respected across the board. I'm sure he will keep his head down and is only here for one reason: to win. Again, Josh's word is good enough for me. 

This is Josh's team. He picked his OC. He asked to pull specific guys out of retirement. We signed your BF to a big TE contract. You pay your QB big money, you let him call his shots. I have no issue.

But that also comes with some responsibility. Your contract limits your weapons. When you pick your weapons/play caller, you open yourself up to bear the brunt of your production. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Since1981 said:

Not much downside here (please stay off twitter dude).

He is NOT banged up, VERY rested, JA familiar.

What's the worst that can happen? He catches a few balls?

Worst that could happen?

Idk he drops balls like McKenzie does already.🤷

Its really a no-lose situation unless you are intolerant of other views than your own.

• Agree 4

Really not sure how to feel about this.

On one hand, it wreaks of shear desperation and validates everything critics like myself have been saying about this team and Beane's mishandling of this roster in the offseason.

But on the other, if Bease has anything left in the tank it could be a season saving move in terms of getting this offense back on track to be able to win in the playoffs.

Guess we'll find out pretty quick either way.

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

WE LEAD THE NFL IN DROPS.

If anyone is confused why we added Cole to the PS then check above and read that three times to yourself again.

Or…read below:

Drops are an issue. Don't get me wrong. But people are also conflating catch% with drops. Take the Jets game, Shakir's only target was basically a throw away OOB. That counts as 0% catch rate on the stat page. 

Also, Miami is tied in drops with 25 and they have Hill, Waddle, and Big Mike at TE. You throw the ball a lot, you get a lot of drops. We seem to be dropping a ton the last month. I don't get it. It didn't feel like a huge issue in the first 8 games of the season. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, H2o said:

I have been reading everything, the people that are against this have unknown sign in names and boston accents. 

• Haha (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Really can’t figure out why anyone would have an issue with this.  Slot WR position has been a let down.  If he has nothing left he won’t get on the field.  If he has something left, he will be mixed in and see what he can do.  

Either way, there is like zero risk here and only potential to help a weak spot on the offense.  And he knows the offense and he knows Josh.  

I think this was a good move that presents no risk.  He will be cut if he is incapable of contributing.  

the risk is he will disprove some really hot hot takes that have been posted here.  if you aren't in the take merchant game, you have NO IDEA what it takes to come up with your own hot takes, to get them out on a moderated board, WITHOUT GETTING BANNED, and the THRILL of being able to say i told you so and lord your takes over everyone.

deep down in places you don't post about on gameday threads, you want these hot takes, you NEED these hot takes.  So either step up and post about some 12th ranked qb in the draft and how we need to draft him as our back up, or some barely understood defensive scheme we have to change over to immediately.  otherwise, step back and let the takes happen!!

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, H2o said:

I didn't like the distraction he created last year. Didn't like his comments on the way out the door. 

But if he can get back into game shape over the next 4 weeks and help the team, I'm all for it.

For all the crap he talked, he's swallowing his pride to come back. And the one thing no one can ever take away from him is that he is a warrior on the football field. 

Now we just need Jerry to force his release from Houston. 

Edited by Motorin'
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

If anyone is confused why we added Cole to the PS then check above and read that three times to yourself again.

Or…read below:

what are you trying to say?

• Haha (+1) 6

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

This ENTIRE situation was built and caused by how McD and Beane built this team.  Once again ignoring the offense, and now when we should be hitting all cylinders for the run we are trying to turn back the clock to 2019-2020.

They made a mistake, Beasley was most likely looking for a bigger deal in the off season. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just get open on third down like usual, Bease. The Sneezely Beasley. 

I do wonder what he has left in the tank. He bailed after what, two or three weeks with ol' Tampa Tom? 

I also saw it mentioned that the dude replied to a tweet back in November that he was very happy not being in Buffalo so I wonder what changed. Wait, no I don't. They said, here's some money, go catch the pigskin.

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

This is fake news. We were told by @john wawrowthat Beasley and the covid drama nearly tor the team apart last year. There's no way they'd bring him back.

I don't know.. could be some "there" there.  

You just had people mad.  Maybe not even at each other.  Mad at the situation.  Some getting it and hoping others do just to stop dealing with the league rules.  Some not getting it and being annoyed at the league rules.  Some that got it because they aren't star players and didn't want to get cut over it.  

Then you have guys like Bruce Smith telling guys they don't care about the team if they don't get it... Yea, ok, I'm sure that sat well with a guy like Josh or Cole, when Cole basically played on a broken leg for us in the playoffs. 

Just glad we're past that... (knock on wood)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.