Updated Beasley signing to practice squad

Niagara Dude

8 minutes ago, wppete said:

I’m guessing he is fully healthy and all his injuries are healed. Great news, Im sure Josh and the locker room are very happy. He was a beloved teammate. 

The locker room loves him, so that's really all that matters here.  We are welcome to our opinions of the guy, whether they are positive or negative, but even Dirty, who stands to see a diminished role now, is defending him from his detractors.  Josh asked for him by name.  That means something.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, muppy said:

how bitter do you think McKenzie is with this signing? I'm not buying into his smiley heart emojis. To me this reads a tad snarky.

Actually it doesn't.  Isaiah reached out to Bease a few weeks ago. Bease said he missed him. Isaiah said call me when you get a chance. 

4 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

I know one thing, in the offseason I better not hear ***** about a defensive back or defensive lineman unless a top 10 talent somehow drops to us.  

He's been in favor of re-signing Beasley for some time now.  It's legit.  I'm sure Cole was a mentor to him.

We should trade up for a WR if there is one worth it.....

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, BillsFanSD said:

If only we had a RB who could make himself available in the passing game.  Or a TE with receiving skills.

Oh well.

Dawson Knox should be Josh's security blanket. Of all Bills receivers Knox has the highest average separation and catch rate. They should really adjust their passing scheme and routes so that Knox is the 1st or 2nd option.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

If only we had a RB who could make himself available in the passing game.  Or a TE with receiving skills.

Oh well.

One isn't enough, we need 2 RB's who can also line up in the slot. Preferably I would like to draft for one and trade for another. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, muppy said:

how bitter do you think McKenzie is with this signing? I'm not buying into his smiley heart emojis. To me this reads a tad snarky.

He's doing a great job at portraying himself as an immature little prick.  

Perhaps if he shut his f*cking mouth and worked on being a more reliable target, he wouldn't be dealing with being replaced by a 33-year-old retiree.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Actually it doesn't.  Isaiah reached out to Bease a few weeks ago. Bease said he missed him. Isaiah said call me when you get a chance.

If this DOESNT upset McKenzie, that's part of the problem too. He should feel bad about it, but then use it as more fuel to work harder and get better. But knowing Lil Immaturity, he'll probably just make more awkward jokes and continue to collect his check.

Just now, Teddy KGB said:

Can’t.   Have to fix this 💩 OL first.  

We need another draft like 2009 with Wood and Levitre in the 1st and 2nd.

(Yes, I'm pretending that Maybin never happened, lets not mention it)

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

He's doing a great job at portraying himself as an immature little prick.  

Perhaps if he shut his f*cking mouth and worked on being a more reliable target, he wouldn't be dealing with being replaced by a 33-year-old retiree.

f/marry/kill...

mckenzie, tyrod taylor, doug flutie.  go!

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If this DOESNT upset McKenzie, that's part of the problem too. He should feel bad about it, but then use it as more fuel to work harder and get better. But knowing Lil Immaturity, he'll probably just make more awkward jokes and continue to collect his check.

I think there is some kind of issue there. I'm not a psychologist, so wouldn't know how to label it. On his show with Ty Dunne he says he wants more targets but would never ask for more targets. It's just too passive. He should just put in the work and ask for more targets, if that's what he wants. Go get it, then.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Agreed.

Beasley can be effectively washed up.........incapable of putting up good yardage per route numbers etc.......... and yet still somehow add something to this offense because they have nobody to fill this specific role.

It's an indictment on Beane's handling of the WR corps the past two seasons for sure.

They are a station to station offense at a time in their dynamic young QB's career when they should be shredding defense's.    But they aren't going to find a dynamic WR1/WR2 on the street so they need to be the best station to station offense they can be.  

I'd argue that between the moves to retain Lil Dirty and to bring in Crowder and Shakir, Beane had pretty strong odds to get 80% of Beasley's production from one of them.

It hasn't panned out. I hold out some hope on Shakir, but I think it's time to cut bait on the other two 

2 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

And can the indictment and hanging of Beane wait until after the playoffs?  Or is the two for one sale for those who want to fire Dorsey too much to pass up.

Good question.  I got all caught up in the mid 19th century talk so the punishment could very well be a hanging.

Although, Beane has been known for his "wizardry".  It could digress to a more 17th century Salem, MA situation.

8 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I think there is some kind of issue there. I'm not a psychologist, so wouldn't know how to label it. On his show with Ty Dunne he says he wants more targets but would never ask for more targets. It's just too passive. He should just put in the work and ask for more targets, if that's what he wants. Go get it, then.

More targets?  Heavens no.  LOL, got to catch the ones that Josh nearly lodges in his facemask first.  I like how he keeps the attitude light and fun, but we're winding down the season and he needs to start playing and acting like he belongs on the field of a SB contender.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Doesnt matter, he was CUT after those 4 seasons, so evidently those special set of skills diminished or not as effective as you think.  

He didnt have those special skills this year either did he?

It was a question of cost versus productivity.  Clearly Beasley was to expensive going into 2022 and his skills were deteriorating. 

The Bills recognized that they needed to replace Beasley's production with a younger and cheaper slot guy. Crowder was signed and Shakir was drafted.  They also hoped McKenzie could grow into the role.  But Crowder got hurt and McK/Shakir haven't been able to take up the slack.  Signing Beasley at this point in the season is dirt cheap and the risk even if it turns out he can't play is minimal.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Isaiah McKenzie was never more than a gimmick wide receiver because of his speed not much else. Cole Beasley even at 33 years old retired on a couch offers more than Isaiah McKenzie. Pretty simple catch the football or you are replaced. It is like that in college basketball guard why aren’t I playing as much coach? Well maybe if you don’t turn the basketball over you would be playing more. Isaiah McKenzie has no one to blame but himself do your job or you won’t have a job next season that goes for all the Buffalo Bills. If a Bills player thinks oh Bills coach Sean McDermott cares yeah he cares about self preservation to keep his job he will release or bench you. This isn’t “Barney the dinosaur” sing along this is the NFL Not For Long in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by Buffalo Super Fan
  • Eyeroll 1

The moves to bring Brown and Beasley into the mix are shrewd moves.  I really like that the front office decided to go this route.    I think both of them will have integral roles in getting the Bills to the Super Bowl.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

McKenzie despite his inconsistency....has quietly been a decent red zone target. He has a handful of TD's this season 

Just now, dpberr said:

The moves to bring Brown and Beasley into the mix are shrewd moves.  I really like that the front office decided to go this route.    I think both of them will have integral roles in getting the Bills to the Super Bowl.  

FINALLY!!! After 49 pages! A logical post

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Isaiah McKenzie was never more than a gimmick wide receiver because of his speed not much else. Cole Beasley even at 33 years old retired on a couch offers more than Isaiah McKenzie. Pretty simple catch the football or you are replaced. It is like that in college basketball guard why aren’t I playing as much coach? Well maybe if you don’t turn the basketball over you would be playing more. Isaiah McKenzie has no one to blame but himself do your job or you won’t have a job next season that goes for all the Buffalo Bills. If a Bills player thinks oh Bills coach Sean McDermott cares yeah he cares about self preservation to keep his job he will release or bench you. This isn’t “Barney the dinosaur” sing along this is the NFL Not For Long in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

You are a cold cold man

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

It was a question of cost versus productivity.  Clearly Beasley was to expensive going into 2022 and his skills were deteriorating. 

The Bills recognized that they needed to replace Beasley's production with a younger and cheaper slot guy. Crowder was signed and Shakir was drafted.  They also hoped McKenzie could grow into the role.  But Crowder got hurt and McK/Shakir haven't been able to take up the slack.  Signing Beasley at this point in the season is dirt cheap and the risk even if it turns out he can't play is minimal.

It is my belief that you are totally correct.  All this just may work out very well in the end.  My hope is Cole has stayed

somewhat in shape.  He is recovered from his injuries and well rested and I'm hoping he will be "all in" with his play.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Did you watch 2021 Cole Beasley when his production took a nose dive as he got older and injured ? He looked washed in 2021 playing for us, and he looked worse on the Bucs in 2022. 

Beasley might have some familiarity with the playbook, but he never played in Dorsey's system. His rapport with Allen has some value, but not enough to make up for his physical deficiencies.  

Of course Beasley's skills were deteriorating in 2021.  We could all see that.  Yet his 82 catches, many for first downs and at critical times in a game, were far more productive & consistent then we've gotten from the slot this season.

Beasley's greatest strength is his ability to read zone defenses prior to the snap.  Here his relationship with Allen is crucial.  His presence on the field immediately increases our chances of converting 3rd and short and extending drives. We're at the point in the season where extending only one or two drives will be the difference between winning and losing a game.

IMO those that are hostile to Beasley's signing here are just pissed off that he took an unpopular stand on covid vaccination. How do I come to this conclusion?  Because there is no logical football based argument against signing Beasley today.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Not true on any of that really?

He had a number of nice catches through the first few games, averaging 9yds/catch. He picked up 1st downs on I believe every one of his catches. Josh mentioned in a post game how well they were building that relationship.

I dont think McK "clearly" beat him out as much as Crowder was catching up in the offense and was about to beat him out.

He had a real nice start and the injury was a real blow to this offense.

Wrong.

So you say nothing I said was true.......and then only mention a bunch of things I never said as evidence.

Reality...........Crowder had a measly 6 catches on 13 targets (47%) in 4 games.

After a preseason where he looked shaky in limited snaps(including creating an INT on a drop on his first target as a Bill)......then was sidelined with another injury and uncertain for the opener until late in the process.........following an offseason where he was still nursing injuries from his Jets days.

Yes, McKenzie beat him out in preseason for ability and availability reasons.........which was to say the least not promising because most of us knew exactly who McKenzie was and that wasn't a starting slot receiver.

Things were most certainly NOT going well for Crowder despite any perceived lukewarm acknowledgement from his QB.  

And fwiw Crowder actually averaged 10 yards per catch........which is not good.........9 ypc is the equivalent of a RB running averaging about 3.4 yards per carry.......it's lousy.........but the bigger issue is that a slot guy who gains little yardage needs to catch a high % of his targets, not half of them.    

4 hours ago, BBills_88 said:

Can we draft 2 receivers in this years draft please.  

1. A Tall 6' 2" or taller, speedy, great route running, Athletic freak, with strong and sure hands who high points the ball. 

1. A good route running, quick, sure handed slot.

We better draft OL this year. We need to stop signing a million free agent scrubs and neglecting the position in the early rounds of the draft. Give Beach Chairs some fresh moldable monsters to protect JA and open the holes for our running game.

Edited by turftoe
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Reading this thread has brought one, and only one, logical question to my mind. When did the "up" get dropped from the phrase "washed up?" Enquiring minds wanna know.

It means Beasley is all clean, washed, and freshened up from his time off. The stink of his past Twitter whining and injuries have been effectively washed away.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, turftoe said:

We better draft OL this year. We need to stop signing a million free agent scrubs and neglect the position in the early rounds of the draft. Give Beach Chairs some fresh moldable monsters to protect JA and open the holes for our running game.

We have enough money and draft capital on the defense to bring Jesus down from the heavens to play.  Got 1 of the best qbs in the league and they refuse to use capital to protect him or give him weapons.  Bumping Mckenzie up on the depth chart was just a kick in the nuts

• Eyeroll 1

16 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Good question.  I got all caught up in the mid 19th century talk so the punishment could very well be a hanging.

Although, Beane has been known for his "wizardry".  It could digress to a more 17th century Salem, MA situation.

These are unprecedented times.  Indictments against Beane for the 10-3 number one seed.  Talks of firing Dorsey with the number 2 offense.  And now the flaming of bringing back two WRs who just recently had 1000 yard seasons.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

McKenzie despite his inconsistency....has quietly been a decent red zone target. He has a handful of TD's this season 

He was money on that 4th down play at the goal line in KC wasn't he?

If he is wide open and Allen can lay it softly into him with trajectory so he can body catch it McKenzie is useful.    Those are the ones he doesn't drop.    Anything with velocity hits him like he's a trampoline.   That includes punts.

• Agree 3

11 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Reading this thread has brought one, and only one, logical question to my mind. When did the "up" get dropped from the phrase "washed up?" Enquiring minds wanna know.

Most people can't even bother to spell out the word, "you," anymore, so this truncation doesn't surprise me a bit.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.