Updated Beasley signing to practice squad

Niagara Dude

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

I agree with the top Bullet.

I will add another, if we didnt need Knox to bail out the OL an he could actually get into routes, this signing doesn't occur.

Knox lines up in the slot 6th most in the NFL. He is a receiver as much as any TE in the NFL. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Chris states it early on and this is the big point...Ignore Beasley, forget about iMcK, don't nash your teeth over the Crowder injury, and even I can't keep going back to "why Ford over DK?" because that is pure history.

A number of us took heat for stating Gabe is not a 1B and our hope is that he is at least a 2.  Yes, he's battled through injuries and yes he has had flashes, and YES HE ADDS TO THIS TEAM.  However, the guy opposite Diggs has to be somewhere at least in the same sphere as Diggs.  

If your number 1 guy catches more than 100 balls each year for three years your number 2 needs to be Robert Woods, or at least 2018-2020 Robert Woods...86 receptions, 90 receptions, 90 receptions and a 1,000 yard average.  Heck even Peerless Price's 94 receptions to Eric Moulds' 100 catches from 2002 is the duo you need.

38 receptions in 12 games, catching little more than 50% of your targets (38 of 71) isn't the juggernaut #2 we hoped for.  I hope he changes the narrative on everything from here on out, but right now he is on pace for 50 or so receptions.  

So s*** on this post all you want, but it is not going to make it any less true. 

Go Bills!

“Needs to be”…...or what?   Is it impossible to win a SB with a Wr2 of Gabes ability?  Are you sure?

we need to move the chains, score points and play tough D. That’s what we NEED.  

We can win a SB with gabe as our wr2.  We just have to have the proper game plan and execute in all 3 phases.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SectionC3 said:

Agreed on both counts, and I’ll add that if Hodgins was still here he’d have had a crack at this role already. 

Yep.  I knew that was going to happen the minute he was released.  Sucks we were dealing with INJ at the time and had to cut him.  I knew Immediately Daboll and Schoen were gonna have a claim in.

1 minute ago, Mango said:

Knox lines up in the slot 6th most in the NFL. He is a receiver as much as any TE in the NFL. 

Where he lines up and where the play takes him are two different stories.  He continually is assisting the OL.  Spencer Regression to be exact.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Mango said:

You can see, even on the broadcast, multiple times per game where Knox is available underneath for a 6-10 yard pick up.  Josh just doesn't take them.  If he did, Knox's numbers would look much different. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

By all means continue your assault on common sense.

By all means continue thinking you can tell others what to say and or how to respond to someone.  Got another study to project?

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

“Needs to be”…...or what?   Is it impossible to win a SB with a Wr2 of Gabes ability?  Are you sure?

we need to move the chains, score points and play tough D. That’s what we NEED.  

We can win a SB with gabe as our wr2.  We just have to have the proper game plan and execute in all 3 phases.  

New Era well said, and no, I didn't say it was impossible.  However, it is not helping and it was to have been a hopeful strength this year.

I am also not saying the teams with the best two WRs are going to win a SB, either, but take a look at the top 4 receivers in the NFL (Hill, Jefferson, Diggs and Ekeler), and then the #2 receivers on their respective teams.

Hill (100), Waddle (59)

Jefferson (99), Thielen (63)

Diggs (94), Davis (38) or McKenzie (38)

Ekeler (93), Palmer (61)

That's Tua, Cousins and Herbert.  We have Josh Allen, New Era.

EDIT:

Jeepers, of the top 10 receivers in the league only Detroit's Amon-Ra St. Brown has a lower #2 WR than the Bills (Raymond, 34 receptions).

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Yep.  I knew that was going to happen the minute he was released.  Sucks we were dealing with INJ at the time and had to cut him.  I knew Immediately Daboll and Schoen were gonna have a claim in.

Where he lines up and where the play takes him are two different stories.  He continually is assisting the OL.  Spencer Regression to be exact.

He is 11th in routes run and is a pass catcher on 75%+ of snaps. This is a thing people keep saying, but it isn't true. 

I think because Josh is so talented we are quick as fans to quickly point the finger at Dorsey, or scheme, or anything else other than QB play. But ultimately Josh Allen hasn't played up to Josh Allen standards. The current version of Josh is better than most QB's in the league. But he isn't seeing the field well since the bye.

That isn't a get out of jail free card for OL, Dorsey, WR's etc.  

5 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Exactly.  "Free Speech!"  except everyone who has a different opinion/belief.   What a joke society has become. 

I’d just prefer it if my sporting heroes didn’t sink low enough to get into flame wars with random people on twitter. There is a dignified way to express your views and then there is an undignified way. 

49 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

2 of those fell short of picking up the 1st down and got him chewed out by Brady. 1 picked up a crucial 4th down tho.

But again, we just need guys who can catch. Dont need YAC.

Yup, This quest for YAC is not more important than catching the damn ball. Pre need for more YAC we were moving the chains, scoring loads of points and punishing opponents, chasing YAC stats is not more important than doing the basics correctly.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

He is 11th in routes run and is a pass catcher on 75%+ of snaps. This is a thing people keep saying, but it isn't true. 

I think because Josh is so talented we are quick as fans to quickly point the finger at Dorsey, or scheme, or anything else other than QB play. But ultimately Josh Allen hasn't played up to Josh Allen standards. The current version of Josh is better than most QB's in the league. But he isn't seeing the field well since the bye.

In general I agree with this. Only difference is I disagree at times that he's not seeing it. I've seen him multiple times look through his reads, get to a read where Knox or someone else is wide open for a short gain and move on to the next read, deeper down the field. He is seeing these shorter open reads and choosing not to pull the trigger. At times it has worked out and other times, we end up punting.

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

If they don't why are they the second best team in the NFL on third down?

Yes.  I keep reading in this thread and many others that the Bills are somehow deficient in third down conversions.  Just not true.  They have literally led the league all year.  They only gave up the lead in this category, barely, to KC after an admittedly dismal performance last week (15%!). That had everything to do with the much talked about drops last week and a tough Jets defense, and was a total anomaly.  

Some facts here here in case anyone is interested in those.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/third-down-conversion-pct

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SCBills said:

You can see, even on the broadcast, multiple times per game where Knox is available underneath for a 6-10 yard pick up.  Josh just doesn't take them.  If he did, Knox's numbers would look much different. 

I was at the game Sunday, so when I go I re-watch later in the week because you miss so much live.

I saw the condensed game yesterday and got through half the all-22 this AM before work and there are some plays Josh keeps alive by being Josh. But man, he really has been forcing so many tough throws. He ended two drives in Q1 by literally throwing away to balls rather than hitting Cook or Hines who were both open underneath.

Protection was particularly bad Sunday, but he didn't do himself a lot of favors. 

He is the most talented QB in the league, and I think that causes him to try and do too much at times. I have been waiting for him to pull himself out and have a "get right game" and he just hasn't been able to.  I am assuming he knows this too and that is why he specifically asked for Brown and Beasley to come back.  

• Like (+1) 6

Just now, TheBrownBear said:

I'm thrilled that Linus has his blankie back, but it's hard not to feel a real sense of disappointment with the way the McKenzie, Cook, Hines, Shakir (and to some extent, Gabe Davis) decisions/experiments have played out to this point.  

McKenzie is my only disappointment. And as you note, to some extent Davis, but he plays a vastly different spot.

Cook, Hines, and Shakir I put on the coaching staff. No reason that NONE of those guys can be performing better. ONE of them should be coachable.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Yep.  I knew that was going to happen the minute he was released.  Sucks we were dealing with INJ at the time and had to cut him.  I knew Immediately .

PS is the right place to start as they did with Brown. Of course his activation will depend on how in-shape and motivated he is. I believe the word was that with the events leading to his departure from the Bills, he had to take the first step for coming to play with the Bills. I am putting these scraps of informationv together and surmising that he did indeed make the first move . He seems motivated to play which is a good start. He and John Brown are clearly role players and won't see a significant percent of snaps. But a decent Beasley can clearly help Allen out and reduce the need for Allen to make tough runs for 1st downs. 

Edited by Fan in Chicago

for people wondering about his time in Tampa this year, I follow a lot of Tampa forums/blogs (mostly after losses like Sundays, for pure enjoyment value) and there has been talk all season of major issues on that team. Coaches vs players, players vs players, lots of nasty stuff. Something is off there. If not for the Rams and Saints blowing leads in epic fashion, that team is 4-9 right now. 

Bowles saying something to the effect of "we (coaches) can't care more than the players, we're not on the field" after the SF game says a lot, I think. Sure, he followed up with "we're to blame too" but that was a telling remark from a guy who is pretty much a dial tone in terms of things to say. 

Beasley probably hated being there and had no particular connection to the players or team. Walked into a toxic locker room with incompetent coaches and a QB who demands total control and does whatever he feels like and decided worshipping Brady on a crappy team (that will still go the Super Bowl because of course) wasn't worth it.

Just my speculation. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

It's tough to be critical of Allen, because he has been let down a lot this year... and compared to other top QB's, plays in the worst conditions.. but let's just look at the Jets game:

-Missed Diggs early on a slant that, maybe, goes to the house?.. there was nobody home aside from a Safety 20 yards down the open field.  

-Underthrew the deep John Brown route.  Brown had Sauce beat.  Not a bad throw, but just enough that it allowed an elite corner to get back into the picture and disrupt the catch.

-Underthrew Knox on a game ender.  Likely wanted to be safe on the throw, but it allowed the linebacker to get a hand in on the catch.  

Every QB misses throws, but Allen is not on point right now.  Some of it is trust, some it is the offense working through stuff, but he's also missing some big throws and still taking contested deep throws that aren't there when open guys are underneath.  

We'll know he, and the offense, are back when it's 3rd and 10 and we're all of the mind set that he's converting that with his arm.  Right now, who here is confident in that situation?... I'm not.  (OL not getting a free pass either - their protection issues against good defenses in another reason why)

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 34-78-83 said:

In general I agree with this. Only difference is I disagree at times that he's not seeing it. I've seen him multiple times look through his reads, get to a read where Knox or someone else is wide open for a short gain and move on to the next read, deeper down the field. He is seeing these shorter open reads and choosing not to pull the trigger. At times it has worked out and other times, we end up punting.

I agree, I have seen the same. When I see him take the deep shot I have gotten frustrated because often there is a high percentage throw right underneath it. I believe it was the the second quarter Sunday he tossed the ball on 2nd down to Davis who was double covered 15 yards deep. But 7-8 yards deep was Shakir running underneath open. 

Take the 3rd and 3.

I would post it, but the new A22 sucks on NFL+. I used to be able to sort between drives, passing plays, etc. Now I have to play it straight through. Super annoying. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, SCBills said:

The biggest positive I'm taking away from Allen asking for Beasley to come back is that he knows underneath throws are smart plays and he just wants someone there that he can trust to be on the same page with him on those passes.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

We sure he’s not just here to act as scout team Tua?

You want to know the real reason he's here?

To get revenge on the Buffalo Bills.

Last time Cole Beasley was in Buffalo he drove away with his middle finger up in the air and Orchard Park in the rearview mirror.

The organization wronged him.

It was personal.

Now that same organization is in the #1 seed and one of the favorites to win the Super Bowl.

You really think Beasley is gonna let that happen?!

Picture this:

It's the AFC Championship Game. The Bills have the ball, down by 1 point. There's 10 seconds left.  It's 4th and 5 and the Bills need to convert in order to get into FG range. Empty set, Allen takes the snap, Beasley finds a cushioned pocket in the zone 5 yards out.

It's an easy pitch and catch opportunity.

Done deal, right? 

WRONG!!

Allen darts it to Beasley right between the numbers, but just as Allen releases it he notices something.

There's a sly grin across Beasley's mug.

Josh knows then. 

Flashback to 2021. The disease. The debates. The disorder. The dissention and desertion.

Drop.

Beasley let's the ball hit his hands and bounce to the ground. Game over.

Beasley takes off his helmet and throws that middle finger in the air, calmly rotating in a circle so the stadium full of helpless fans can see.

He strides away into the tunnel darkness.

The End. 

• Vomit 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

It's tough to be critical of Allen, because he has been let down a lot this year... and compared to other top QB's, plays in the worst conditions.. but let's just look at the Jets game:

-Missed Diggs early on a slant that, maybe, goes to the house?.. there was nobody home aside from a Safety 20 yards down the open field.  

-Underthrew the deep John Brown route.  Brown had Sauce beat.  Not a bad throw, but just enough that it allowed an elite corner to get back into the picture and disrupt the catch.

-Underthrew Knox on a game ender.  Likely wanted to be safe on the throw, but it allowed the linebacker to get a hand in on the catch.  

Every QB misses throws, but Allen is not on point right now.  Some of it is trust, some it is the offense working through stuff, but he's also missing some big throws and still taking contested deep throws that aren't there when open guys are underneath.  

We'll know he, and the offense, are back when it's 3rd and 10 and we're all of the mind set that he's converting that with his arm.  Right now, who here is confident in that situation?... I'm not.  (OL not getting a free pass either - their protection issues against good defenses in another reason why)

You arent wrong, but Im chalking a lot of these examples up to his elbow injury.

He was on tape in the beginning of the season, I believe the Chris Simms interview, talking about always erring on the side of overthrowing. And that he never wants to underthrow. And here he is underthrowing a lot. Has to be the injury because we all know he knows better.

11 minutes ago, Mango said:

I also watch the games. A chip before route counts as a route doesn’t it. 

ooo I agree Josh isn’t seeing things well. That still doesn’t take away from the trash OL though. They don’t get a pass because Josh isn’t seeing the field well therefore cannot cover up the immediate Spencer Brown turnstile block. 

1 minute ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

New Era well said, and no, I didn't say it was impossible.  However, it is not helping and it was to have been a hopeful strength this year.

I am also not saying the teams with the best two WRs are going to win a SB, either, but take a look at the top 4 receivers in the NFL (Hill, Jefferson, Diggs and Ekeler), and then the #2 receivers on their respective teams.

Hill (100), Waddle (59)

Jefferson (99), Thielen (63)

Diggs (94), Davis (38) or McKenzie (38)

Ekeler (93), Palmer (61)

That's Tua, Cousins and Herbert.  We have Josh Allen, New Era.

Thanks.  

You didn’t say it was impossible but using the word “needs” implies that we can’t win the SB (imo) as winning the SB is the only goal.  Nothing else matters.  

regarding the WR2 stats on Miami, minny and LAC, no offense but they mean nothing…..  we’re talking about winning Super Bowls.  Looking at the top 4 pass catchers and comparing their #2s means nothing.  How many SBs have they won?  How many playoff games for that matter…. 

I agree, I’d love to have a better WR2-  Gabe hasn’t lived up to expectations.  Of course having a better WR2 would help.  Having a better LG, RG and RT would help too.  This is the hand we’re playing with and it’s good enough to win the SB-  

game plan and execution.  That’s what we need

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I think (hope) if Bease has something left, he really helps Josh.  Seems like this year he is always looking too fat downfield always. I’m sure some of that has to do with scheme but just having a reliable target underneath helps everyone. Go Bills. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Because of Josh and Josh alone. And that is the problem we are addressing.

It cant be just on Josh.

Why can’t it?  That is how the coaches literally built this team with the constant obsession with the premier assets in the Defense. 

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

He is the most talented QB in the league, and I think that causes him to try and do too much at times. I have been waiting for him to pull himself out and have a "get right game" and he just hasn't been able to.  I am assuming he knows this too and that is why he specifically asked for Brown and Beasley to come back.  

I've said it a handful of times over the past two years.  Josh just gets too greedy at times and when he gets in that mode early in a game (or stretch of games) it's hard for him to get out of that mindset.  He's much more of a Brett Favre at this point in his career than a Tom Brady.  On top of that, I think he's lost some confidence due to that stretch against GB, Jets and Minny - you can see it in how long he's holding the ball right now.  He doesn't want to make the critical mistake. 

I thought the New England game was mostly a step back in the right direction from Josh, while the Jets game might have been a small step back again (though it's hard to say that with any confidence given the weather, drops and general lack of trust Josh currently, and rightfully, has in his outlet/underneath options).

1 minute ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

My 2023 Bills draft:

Rd1 - WR

Rd2 - Guard

Rd3 - WR

Just no more Day1/2 RB. Please. Everybody is finding late Day 3's and FA's who can produce. Hell, Buffalo had one of those in Blackshear but couldn't keep him because of the draft capital invested in Cook.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.