Updated Beasley signing to practice squad

Niagara Dude

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

So no facts, projection off a study.  Thanks so in reality you have NO CLUE what OBJs knee is like or if he will come back.  Just like you have NO clue if Von will 

Yes Bills announced signed to PS cut Stevenson to make room

Correct, I am not privy to OBJ or Von's medical charts.   I didnt realize you needed to have those to form a common sense opinion on whether signing two players at the position OBJ plays is likely a death nail to the Bills still having him in their plans.

Agree to disagree I suppose.

10 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Some of you I want to ask a question: Do you care more about being right (about a player being bad) or watching your team win?

As it stands today none of us know what Beasley will provide for production. The people who have all the information think this is a good move to make. I like the GM and coaches recognizing there a situation that needs to be addressed. Good for them for not sitting on their hands or trying to deny there is an issue. You want to live in the past and rehash how we got here? Go ahead, that is your luxury as a fan. I think a healthy approach which makes me feel better is that this could help Josh and the offense. What Beasley does is find spots in zone coverage, and Beasley always has had good hands. If either one of those traits has left completely, then Beasley will not be w/Buffalo for long and the team is in no different a spot then before. 

I always care more about the Bills winning. But that doesn't mean I think every move they make is the right one. 

I said Beasley was washed at the end of last season. I said he was washed when Tampa signed him. Do you want me to now say something different because the Bills signed him? That would be disingenuous in the extreme. I obviously hope it works out, but that doesn't mean my opinion must be that it will. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Beast said:

Why is he a clown? Did he do something to hurt your feelings?

I think his COVID posturing was unnecessary and would have best been handled within the team.

There’s no reason to attack me here. Plus, it takes a hell of a lot more than Beasley or you to hurt my feelings. 

• Eyeroll 3

37 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Maybe Allen is politely telling Beane that he needs more help on offense long term and that maybe he should start investing some high draft picks into the offensive side of the ball 

This is also an admission by Bean and McD that the current crop of WR's is not productive enough.  People can claim that Allen made this happen but even Allen couldn't get Brown & Beas back if we were seeing good production out of the slot and were stretching the field more.

This also indicates that game film was not kind to the WR's & RB's running patterns and trying give the Bills a semblance of a slot receivers production. They didn't go after McCaffrey for his running between the tackles.

I give McD & Bean credit for swallowing their pride and bringing these two guys back to help the team.  Even though this action signals that Bills management failed in the off season to upgrade or even maintain the production of the WR group.

• Like (+1) 2

To all you haters THE BEASE IS BACK HELL YAH !! This is something i think will show all of you that were the ones doing the hating on him how much he was missed the last 2 yrs he was with the Bills he had 82 receptions and numerous TD's .

I'm SO GLAD our GM & HC don't have blinders on & realize just what was missing for Josh to be more productive wen there is a chemistry there already it as easy as plug & play this will help immensely for the play offs ! I hope he doesn't get bit by the injury bug though ...

I'm so stoked i may go buy his jersey !! All of you that didn't want him around can jump on the band wagon when he starts moving the chains & making TD's for the Bills we won't hate on you for being flip floppers LOL !!!!! 

GO BILLS !!! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mango said:

Honest question, what are the PS rules around the playoffs and the salary cap? I know after 3 call ups, a player needs to be signed to the 53 to play again. 

What if Beasley doesn't play this week and gets the other 3 call ups? Do we have to sign him to the 53? Or can we keep him on the PS, and not count him against the cap? And if that is the case, would the same work for a guy like OBJ and playing with cap dollars? 

Yes if he is not signed to the 53 he can stay on the PS.

Just now, The Jokeman said:

I think this shows just how much management is committed to Josh. I mean Allen requested both Brown and Beasley returned and we got it done. Meanwhile in Green Bay Rodgers been asking for WR help for years and seems to fall on deaf ears. 

Sure hope Josh demands the next draft and FA is largely devoted to oline and wr then.

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Correct, I am not privy to OBJ or Von's medical charts.   I didnt realize you needed to have those to form a common sense opinion on whether signing two players at the position OBJ plays is likely a death nail to the Bills still having him in their plans.

Agree to disagree I suppose.

Cool so the fact that OBJ is essentially on the same recovery schedule as Tre was it a BAD sign right.  And NO PS players are not a death nail to a future signing in the position.

Just now, ChasBB said:

Doesn't the team player retires from retain his rights for one year?  In past, players who retired, but wanted to return to football had to sit the year out.

I read that Tampa voided his contract when he retired. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, ChasBB said:

Doesn't the team player retires from retain his rights for one year?  In past, players who retired, but wanted to return to football had to sit the year out.

They released him to put him back on the Practice Squad and Bease said "You cant fire me, I quit!" only after he was already released. So he is free and clear.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I think this shows just how much management is committed to Josh. I mean Allen requested both Brown and Beasley returned and we got it done. Meanwhile in Green Bay Rodgers been asking for WR help for years and seems to fall on deaf ears. 

Yes and No.  It's more of a mea culpa that they messed up the WR room for this year but it's a good sign that they are open to bringing in guys Allen knows and wants to help fix the situation we're in. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

Honest question, what are the PS rules around the playoffs and the salary cap? I know after 3 call ups, a player needs to be signed to the 53 to play again. 

What if Beasley doesn't play this week and gets the other 3 call ups? Do we have to sign him to the 53? Or can we keep him on the PS, and not count him against the cap? And if that is the case, would the same work for a guy like OBJ and playing with cap dollars? 

I think the 3 call up rule still in effect. So if he isn't activate this week he can be called up in any 3 regular and/or post season games and once he does he must stay on the active roster for the rest of the season or cut. 

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Allen has done it the right way whereas Rogers has gone public in a big way. From day one Allen has seemed wiser then his years.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Some of you I want to ask a question: Do you care more about being right (about a player being bad) or watching your team win?

As it stands today none of us know what Beasley will provide for production. The people who have all the information think this is a good move to make. I like the GM and coaches recognizing there a situation that needs to be addressed. Good for them for not sitting on their hands or trying to deny there is an issue. You want to live in the past and rehash how we got here? Go ahead, that is your luxury as a fan. I think a healthy approach which makes me feel better is that this could help Josh and the offense. What Beasley does is find spots in zone coverage, and Beasley always has had good hands. If either one of those traits has left completely, then Beasley will not be w/Buffalo for long and the team is in no different a spot then before. 

Well said. Josh wanted this, and if he and Beane think it will help, trust their judgement. I am thrilled that Beane listens to the star QB and players in general on things like this. He doesn't let them dictate everything, but I think that his listening and making moves when possible (think giving Poyer that additional incentive in his contract before the season) is further building this great culture the Bills have and the trust between players/management. Beasley is a very low risk potentially "high" (relatively) reward move. 

I know many people disagreed with his vaccine stance and feel butthurt by the way he left, but everyone deserves second chances. He was a great team player for years and well liked and respected across the board. I'm sure he will keep his head down and is only here for one reason: to win. Again, Josh's word is good enough for me. 

• Like (+1) 5

Just now, SCBills said:

Yes and No.  It's more of a mea culpa that they messed up the WR room for this year but it's a good sign that they are open to bringing in guys Allen knows and wants to help fix the situation we're in. 

I dont think Beane messed up the WR room. How could he know after last year and the KC game that Davis would regress so badly, and that Crowder would break an ankle?

This is a move due to the players not developing and doing their part.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

I think the 3 call up rule still in effect. So if he isn't activate this week he can be called up in any 3 regular and/or post season games and once he does he must stay on the active roster for the rest of the season or cut. 

They get 3 free call ups.

After those Call ups he is on the PS, Cut or Signed to the 53 (if they want him up a 4th time).

Brown will be in this situation if he is called up this week (his third).

8 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

That’s because Josh isn’t a douche

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

Just now, papazoid said:

with TB this season he had 4 catches on 5 targets......just sayin....thats not bad

2 of those fell short of picking up the 1st down and got him chewed out by Brady. 1 picked up a crucial 4th down tho.

But again, we just need guys who can catch. Dont need YAC.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Really can’t figure out why anyone would have an issue with this.  Slot WR position has been a let down.  If he has nothing left he won’t get on the field.  If he has something left, he will be mixed in and see what he can do.  

Either way, there is like zero risk here and only potential to help a weak spot on the offense.  And he knows the offense and he knows Josh.  

I think this was a good move that presents no risk.  He will be cut if he is incapable of contributing.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Really can’t figure out why anyone would have an issue with this.  Slot WR position has been a let down.  If he has nothing left he won’t get on the field.  If he has something left, he will be mixed in and see what he can do.  

Either way, there is like zero risk here and only potential to help a weak spot on the offense.  And he knows the offense and he knows Josh.  

I think this was a good move that presents no risk.  He will be cut if he is incapable of contributing.  

We all know why. Polarizing personality, and folks aint wrong about that.

But, by NFL standards, at least he hasnt raped anyone 🤷‍♂️ And the Bills need all the help they can get.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I dont think Beane messed up the WR room. How could he know after last year and the KC game that Davis would regress so badly, and that Crowder would break an ankle?

This is a move due to the players not developing and doing their part.

Because beane is smart enough to not base things off one game. Prior to kc he only had 2 games with more than 43 yards. He was a 2 catches for 30 yards guy most of the season. Just because he had an amazing playoff game is not a reason to ignore the rest. 

This very likely isn't a Super Bowl winning move but I feel like something had to be done. McKenzie isn't/wasn't the answer. Plus maybe now this allows him to play a role he's a better fit for. I would have liked to see more Shakir but it's crunch time so if JA didn't feel like he was ready then you don't really have time to experiment with him. Clearly everyone (Bills, Cowboys, Giants) is out on Odell at this point Like I said above, if Beasley goes for 2/12 but moves the chains on a crucial 3rd down, then this is all worth it. It's even better if Beasley actually becomes a semi-factor out of the slot and you can't play two high safeties at all times. Maybe Davis gets open downfield a little more if that happens. I think between this and hopefully running the ball more consistently, you are putting Diggs and Davis in a better chance to succeed. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Beane bringing in another washed up has been just because it's a guy that Beane is familiar with. 

You can go out there and find a better UDFA than Beasley or ***** a guy like Kumerow off a PS. 

This is not a team that needs veteran leadership. If, indeed, Beasley is a "leader" at anything other than mouthing off on twitter. 

Edit: I used a synonym for "grab" that this site censored. Didn't realize it was banned lol

Have you been watching Bills football the last 4 seasons?  Beas brings a special skill set, breaking down zone coverage's, that we badly miss.  There is no one available on a practice squad that brings Beasley's special set of skills:  like knowing the O, knowing Allen, having great hands and is sneaky good at finding the open space in a zone.

• Agree 3

Just now, Billz4ever said:

We shall see.  Josh wants him back, so I'll defer to him.

If on 2nd and 8 he makes the catch at 5 yards and falls down and gives us 3rd and 3, it's a win. Because right now, McK makes the drop and puts us in 3rd and 8.

I dont even need 1st downs or YAC. Just catch the damn ball.

Which is sad we;re to this point.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Malazan said:

..for 17 yards.. he's not the same guy that took every short pass for 8+ yards in 2020

Who is expecting that? Not me. I'm just hoping for him to find the sticks and just catch the ball to move the chains a few times. If his hands are good for a key third down conversion maybe once or twice a game, that's something we don't have reliably out of the slot right now and really could use. Seems like a valuable enough role for him to have a spot on the active roster to me and to get a few reps. If he is so terrible that he can't get open at all anymore, then they move him back down. I just don't see the downside to trying this out.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

Because beane is smart enough to not base things off one game. Prior to kc he only had 2 games with more than 43 yards. He was a 2 catches for 30 yards guy most of the season. Just because he had an amazing playoff game is not a reason to ignore the rest. 

He had a nice year all year playing in Sanders' shadow. There was no reason to not expect him to step up this year. Not sure what happened. Maybe that ankle injury really took him off his game.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Cool so the fact that OBJ is essentially on the same recovery schedule as Tre was it a BAD sign right.  And NO PS players are not a death nail to a future signing in the position.

Dude!  I am not saying OBJ is never playing football again.   I am saying that when he comes back I dont expect him to be as productive as he was, even the production he had when he came back from his last injury which was essentially borderline #3.    He has blown out the same knee twice in the last two years.  If that doesnt concern you in the least, fine, so be it.   If you dont think the Bills signing two players at the same position as OBJ plays in the days after he visited the team, fine.  I completely disagree with you.      My thought is they are way more likely to sign either Beasley or Brown to the active roster this year than they are to sign another wideout, especially one who doesnt know the offense, hasnt played with Josh before, and is coming off two serious injuries to the same knee in the last 26 months.

16 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Remember these are the same guys that "had all the information" That Cut him less than a year ago.  They are also the same guys that "had all the information" that built this team this year.  So yeah they also make mistakes.  

So this year Beasley has done nothing right, so yes Fans will point to that, and they will also point to his decline last year (that isnt wrong).  These same fans know that the bills are desperate here to get ANY production out of the slot, and why they are now recycling Brown and Beasley back into the offense for Josh.  Maybe at some point they should ACTUALLY invest in the offense instead of the offseason assets going into the defense.  

Another Fact, even without Beasley and the "issues" in the slot the Bills are the No2 Offense in the NFL on 3rd down.

You conveniently left out the economics of the situation.  A huge factor in moving on from both Brown and Beas was the money.

Another reason for excitement is that in the older players, they are more affected by the compound affects of the beatings they take.  Older players as a rule recover slower.  These are fresh veterans we are getting back for the stretch run.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.