Updated Beasley signing to practice squad

Niagara Dude

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

This signing also makes it clear that losing Crowder was a much bigger deal than this board realized. Fans forgot how many 3rd down conversions we got from Allen throwing quick passes to him early in the year. Yeah he wasn't perfect but he gave us some version of the 2019/2020 Beasley and McKenzie has given us none of that.

Maybe Allen is politely telling Beane that he needs more help on offense long term and that maybe he should start investing some high draft picks into the offensive side of the ballĀ 

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, klos63 said:

We signed Crowder to replace Beasley, that would have been solid if not for his injury. We traded for Hines, and drafted Cook, both are capable of catching the ball out of the backfield.Ā  Those were logical moves to make.Ā  Who would you have acquired instead?

Ā 

Not engaging with the whole wHO WoUld YoU hAVe SIgnED bit here.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This signing also makes it clear that losing Crowder was a much bigger deal than this board realized. Fans forgot how many 3rd down conversions we got from Allen throwing quick passes to him early in the year. Yeah he wasn't perfect but he gave us some version of the 2019/2020 Beasley and McKenzie has given us none of that.

Ā 

Yeah he was really a nice surprise in the beginning of the year. Averaging just over 9yds/catch IIRC. Was consistent and a safe option. And trustworthy on returns. He was a huge loss. Much bigger than he got credit for.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

My only disappointment is that I assume this means Crowder has a small chance to make it back this season.

Ā 

Diggs is going to see double teams or at least a lot of help/attention in the playoffs. He's good enough to still get open but this team needs somebody to be open in the middle of the field who isn't going to drop the ball. Beasley could go for 2/12 every game and it's actually going to help.

Ā 

My opinion is the same as it was the past 3-4 weeks. If the AFC goes through Orchard Park, the Bills will be in the Super Bowl. These next 4 games are so important

Ā 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Ā 

They can take the flier. I am not saying they absolutely shouldn't do it. I'm saying it won't succeed. I don't think there is anything left beyond a bloke who can catch 3-5 yard passes and fall over on the spot.Ā 

I donā€™t disagree. Ā But Iā€™ll take the five yards, however, on the third and short that McKenzie ā€œplexiglassedā€ this week.Ā 

Iā€™ll say that I never thought Beasley was coming back here. He wanted his release. Maybe he realized the grass isnā€™t greener. I never cared about his anti vax. People have a right to their own choice. All I cared about was his blatant disregard for following rules set in place that could have cost the team penalties, fines, and suspensions.Ā 
Ā 

All that is in the past. If he makes the offense better then LFG.Ā 

4 minutes ago, Hsker4life said:

What ever happened to the quick flick passes/jet sweeps with McKenzie? That seemed to be something he excelled at, yet we hardly see it anymore. Heā€™s a gadget player, which is fineā€¦but letā€™s use him that way.

Daboll left and Dorsey and Kromer run the offense.Ā 

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

I assume he has learned the playbook and got himself ready in case he needs to be elevated to the main roster permanently during the playoffs. Ā  Football isn't just played on Sundays. Ā  What has OBJ done in the same time frame to prove he was worth the money and the roster spot?Ā Ā Ā  While he was TMZing at the Mavericks game, Brown was working.Ā 

Ā 

You can hold out hope the Bills sign OBJ for the playoffs but I think thats a long shot at this point

SO Cannot answer the question.Ā  Cool he learned the playbook 98% of players do that in days.Ā  A team so desperate for WR help outside Diggs goes and tries to turn back the clock it is a technique.Ā  Again with Beasley I dont hate it, but I also know there is a reason he was retired, and why brown was not on a team all year despite all the teams with massive WR issues.

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

From a month ago-

Ā 

EXACTLY!

Ā 

Their combo route was the killer for the last two years. You could tell when they were using it because whenever a drive started with a Beas catch, the drive was typically successful.Ā 
Ā 

Two years ago, (or 3?) when he entered the playoffs with a broken leg, I think they decided the next year to save that package for the playoffs. Beas was available and the O was successful.Ā 
Ā 

13 seconds.Ā 
Ā 

I think this combo route is the KEY to getting this O, and Gabe, back on track

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Ā 

Ā 

For once I'm glad McKenzie is laughing it up because if he thought seriously about this signing for half a second he would realize it means Allen has lost trust in him. All offseason McDermott talked up McKenzie's opportunity to prove he could handle an increased role and, well, here we are.

• Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Ā 

While it sounds like Beasley was loved in the locker room... and especially by Allen, Diggs, Davis and co., I do find it funny that we hear "not one player opposed"...

Ā 

Kidding (mostly), but I'm not sure anyone want to oppose and become the accompanying player released when Cole gets signed to the active roster.Ā 

Ā 

That player already welcomed Bease back. See below šŸ¤£

Ā 

16 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Ā 

Thanks, Isaiah.

Ā 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, stlbills13 said:

My only disappointment is that I assume this means Crowder has a small chance to make it back this season.

Ā 

Diggs is going to see double teams or at least a lot of help/attention in the playoffs. He's good enough to still get open but this team needs somebody to be open in the middle of the field who isn't going to drop the ball. Beasley could go for 2/12 every game and it's actually going to help.

Ā 

My opinion is the same as it was the past 3-4 weeks. If the AFC goes through Orchard Park, the Bills will be in the Super Bowl. These next 4 games are so important

Ā 

Agreed. Ā We donā€™t need six catches per game out of the slot. Ā We need one or two ā€œchain movingā€ plays per game on a third and short that we arenā€™t getting out of the current occupant of the slot position.Ā 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

SO Cannot answer the question.Ā  Cool he learned the playbook 98% of players do that in days.Ā  A team so desperate for WR help outside Diggs goes and tries to turn back the clock it is a technique.Ā  Again with Beasley I dont hate it, but I also know there is a reason he was retired, and why brown was not on a team all year despite all the teams with massive WR issues.

I answered your question in my first response.Ā Ā  He hasn't caught a pass.Ā  I then asked you what you thought he was supposed to do in 11% percent of the snaps on 1 target?Ā  I then told you that football is just about Sundays.Ā  So he has done more than the guy you want to bring in. Ā  I also asked what Odell has done this year besides be caught up in a circus?

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Ā 

And word from Sal and the WGR guys is Allen had been pushing for Brown and Bease to be re-signed, and after Sunday pretty much demanded it, and McBeane couldnt argue anymore.

Ā 

Ā 

This is the last step in Josh becoming a leader.Ā 

Ā 

Step one is you need to come in as a young QB and be humble and show the vets on the roster that you belong and are a team first guy, not a primadonna 1st round draft pick, ala Josh Rosen.

Ā 

Step two is to elevate your game and work harder than anyone else in the room and set an example of excellence so you have the moral authority to lead.

Ā 

The last step of being a great leader is that once you have demonstrated your own excellence, to start demanding excellence from the people who follow you.Ā Ā 

Ā 

That's where Josh is now in that locker room.Ā  By having Beane bring in Brown and Beasley he is telling the guys on offense, and specifically in the WR room, that they need to elevate their performance or they are gone.Ā  Josh is friends with all of them I'm sure, but he is not going to let those relationships limit the ability of the team to win.Ā  That willingness to separate yourself from the group, your friends, and demand accountability from them is the hardest step for a leader and Josh is there.

Ā 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Dan said:

I just read that. Ā LOL. Ā  Wow is all Iā€™m thinking. Ā ...maybe a few months back when someone posted there was discord on the team, there was some truth to it? Ā Josh wanted his receivers?? Ā  I dont know. But this move just got more interesting to me. Ā I really hope Josh is right.Ā 

Ā 

This was brought to the team and not one player objected to it, so it was a team decision as well.Ā Ā 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Ā 

Yeah he was really a nice surprise in the beginning of the year. Averaging just over 9yds/catch IIRC. Was consistent and a safe option. And trustworthy on returns. He was a huge loss. Much bigger than he got credit for.

Ā 

Most importantly you could tell Allen trusted him. As others have said Allen got used to having a dependable slot receiver on 3rd down and those conversions really add up over the course of the game. Maybe if McKenzie makes his two 3rd down catches against the Jets we end up winning 30-12 and the talk about the offense taking a step back looks silly. Momentum swings happen fast.

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

I answered your question in my first response.Ā Ā  He hasn't caught a pass.Ā  I then asked you what you thought he was supposed to do in 11% percent of the snaps on 1 target?Ā Ā  I also asked what Odell has done this year besides be caught up in a circus?

Wow for a team so desperate for WR production only to get 11% of the snaps, clearly elite, no wonder why he was on the street.

Ā 

I am sorry I dont live in the past I live in the present.Ā  At Present fans should expect next to nothing from both Brown and Beasley, TBH

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 2

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

He looked much slower and his yards after catch plummeted.Ā  However, he still had the best hands on the team.Ā  What we need right now is a dependable target and someone who can supplement the short passing game to help on 1st and 3rd down.Ā  Even a bit slower, I think he can do that.

Iā€™m at the point where I donā€™t care about YAC. Ā I think it may have been over emphasized. Ā We did just fine when we played the football equivalent of target golf. Ā Move the ball down the field by getting it to a spot and donā€™t worry about whether the recipient of the football advances the ball from said spot. Ā We lack rhythm on offense in part because we donā€™t have a chain mover other than Diggs. Ā The ability to move Diggs into the slot more frequently might solve that problem. Ā But we donā€™t have the personnel to do that. Ā If Beasley makes one significant conversion for us this effort is worth it.Ā 

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

?? Crowder had 6 catches in 4 games. Losing him wasn't theĀ problem. The problem is Beane thinking he was the answer to our hole at WR.

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Ā 

For once I'm glad McKenzie is laughing it up because if he thought seriously about this signing for half a second he would realize it means Allen has lost trust in him. All offseason McDermott talked up McKenzie's opportunity to prove he could handle an increased role and, well, here we are.

maybe he is not a diva, realizes his play isnā€™t good enough, and wants the best for his team to win.Ā 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Wow for a team so desperate for WR production only to get 11% of the snaps, clearly elite, no wonder why he was on the street.

Ā 

I am sorry I dont live in the past I live in the present.Ā  At Present fans should expect next to nothing from both Brown and Beasley, TBH

You dont live in the past yet you are holding out hope that the Bills sign a guy who hasnt played a full season or been productive as a #2 wideout since 2019?Ā Ā  I wont disagree that the expectations shouldnt over the moon for either Brown or Beasley, but that wasnt your original argument.Ā Ā  What are back and forth was about was whether signing those two meant OBJ wasnt coming this year, and I think thats exactly what they mean.

The other layer to this is that itā€™s good that they recognize that the slot is a problem. Ā Maybe Crowder can help there in the playoffs if it turns out that Beasley is completely washed. Ā I suppose thatā€™s neither here nor there right at the moment because heā€™s just getting back to meaningful physical activity. Ā But, long term, this signing suggests that they know they need to upgrade at that position, and I suspect that weā€™ll see a premium placed on skill offensive players in the draft. Ā 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

Ā 

Just a reminder, Beasley was going to make 8 million and wanted to move out of NYS at that time.

He's here to try and help this offense open back up.Ā 

Yep he did.Ā  Now the reality is he likely will produce the same that the current WRs produce, TBH.Ā Ā 

• Agree 1

Iā€™m actually happy about this signing. I just hope Beasley can keep his damn mouth shut and stay off Twitter.

Ā 

He may have never been cut in the 1st place if he hadnā€™t asked for his trade/release. I think the Bills wanted him to take a small pay cut iirc, and in hindsight he shouldā€™ve. He wouldā€™ve made millions more this season than he ended up making.

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Ā 

Just a reminder, Beasley was going to make 8 million and wanted to move out of NYS at that time.

He's here to try and help this offense open back up.Ā 

Ā 

And for the fact that a paycheck with state tax taken out is better than no paycheck at all.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.