Updated Beasley signing to practice squad

Niagara Dude

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

You dont live in the past yet you are holding out hope that the Bills sign a guy who hasnt played a full season or been productive as a #2 wideout since 2019?   I wont disagree that the expectations shouldnt over the moon for either Brown or Beasley, but that wasnt your original argument.   What are back and forth was about was whether signing those two meant OBJ wasnt coming this year, and I think thats exactly what they mean.

Enough of OBJ.  Give that money to someone who wants to be here, like Poyer.  In the meantime, Beasley is here to see if he can make the catch on third and short that McKenzie couldn’t make last week. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

You dont live in the past yet you are holding out hope that the Bills sign a guy who hasnt played a full season or been productive as a #2 wideout since 2019?   I wont disagree that the expectations shouldnt over the moon for either Brown or Beasley, but that wasnt your original argument.   What are back and forth was about was whether signing those two meant OBJ wasnt coming this year, and I think thats exactly what they mean.

Where and I "holding out hope" again?  You are the one talking up Brown like it is 2019.  Please go find my post that I am "holding out hope" to sign OBJ.  

12 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

SO Cannot answer the question.  Cool he learned the playbook 98% of players do that in days.  A team so desperate for WR help outside Diggs goes and tries to turn back the clock it is a technique.  Again with Beasley I dont hate it, but I also know there is a reason he was retired, and why brown was not on a team all year despite all the teams with massive WR issues.

He retired because the Bucks paid big bucks for WRs and they would not use him much. Those are his exact words. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35243913/wr-cole-beasley-unretire-sign-bills-practice-squad

Edited by HOUSE
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

That same guy who was looking like Super Bowl MVP last year?

And then blew out his ACL for the 2nd time and hasnt played in a game since?  Yes, that guy.

ooo no not an ACL, players NEVER come back from that.  We should immediately Cut Von then right you know ACL 

Edited by MAJBobby

4 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I’m at the point where I don’t care about YAC.  I think it may have been over emphasized.  We did just fine when we played the football equivalent of target golf.  Move the ball down the field by getting it to a spot and don’t worry about whether the recipient of the football advances the ball from said spot.  We lack rhythm on offense in part because we don’t have a chain mover other than Diggs.  The ability to move Diggs into the slot more frequently might solve that problem.  But we don’t have the personnel to do that.  If Beasley makes one significant conversion for us this effort is worth it. 

I'm wondering if it will affect Dorsey's play calling.  For instance on 3rd and 2/3/4 will he call up the 4 yard dart to Beas instead of the looping swing pass to Cook/Hines or instead of the crosser to McKenzie.

Seemed like they wanted to add the swing pass YAC RB play badly this year and so far it hasn't worked as well as hoped.  The speed/touch of the pass seems a little off as well as any kind of blocking.  I hope they tone that down for a bit and put back in the dart/laser that Josh excels at.

29 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I won’t rate the move until later because last year he looked finished.

Adding proven players to the practice squad is always a good move imo. There’s a better chance of him helping the team than “insert name of newly cut PS player here”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Nephilim17 said:

Don't need him for YAC, just to get those first downs. I'll trade his savvy and hands over McKenzie's athleticism and grease mits.

At this point, just to literally catch the ball and fall down for any positive yardage on the play. Dont even need YAC to improve.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

you gonna make it through this ? 

I am fine.  I even stated as such.  But I also think there are alot of fans here that are going to be disappointed in the Production they actually get.

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Well actually, some dont.   And of those who do, a majority of them have decreased production.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8129483/

So we should CUT Von.  I got it.  Because SOME players dont, so clearly that means to you that this player wont, so then neither will von.

Edited by MAJBobby

3 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I'm wondering if it will affect Dorsey's play calling.  For instance on 3rd and 2/3/4 will he call up the 4 yard dart to Beas instead of the looping swing pass to Cook/Hines or instead of the crosser to McKenzie.

Seemed like they wanted to add the swing pass YAC RB play badly this year and so far it hasn't worked as well as hoped.  The speed/touch of the pass seems a little off as well as any kind of blocking.  I hope they tone that down for a bit and put back in the dart/laser that Josh excels at.

The big play to Diggs this week looked like a whip route from my vantage point.  Even at the height of his powers Beasley wasn’t turning that into 31 yards.  But he can still run that route, and he’s probably the only guy other than Diggs on the roster who can do so with some degree of effectiveness and reliability.  That’s the chain-moving that we miss. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Just a reminder, Beasley was going to make 8 million and wanted to move out of NYS at that time.

He's here to try and help this offense open back up. 

A point not talked about in the Beane bashing above was the cost factor of both Smoke and Beas when they left.  $6M-$8M apiece. 

Now we get healthy, unbroken, veteran players at a huge discount.   And they're players with Bills history, makes it less of a buy a title situation.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Low risk enough. They can use a PS elevation or 2 to find out if he's washed, give him a game check, yadda yadda.

Shame that Hodgins is a first down machine over in New Jersey.

My thoughts exactly.  Hodgins would have had a shot at this role if he was still here. 

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I am fine.  I even stated as such.  But I also think there are alot of fans here that are going to be disappointed in the Production they actually get.

So we should CUT Von.  I got it.  

Yes, that exactly what I said.........

Everyone of the arguments you've made in this thread have been completely obtuse.   You argue facts and statistics with hyperbole.  

18 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

32 pages?  Really?  

It's semi-retired Cole Beasley not a clone of Andre Reed.  

First off, he can very likely help this team.

Second, he is one of the core players of this contending team.  He's been here since Josh Allen's second year.  It's just a great story, and for a lot of us, we're just happy to have him back. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Enough of OBJ.  Give that money to someone who wants to be here, like Poyer.  In the meantime, Beasley is here to see if he can make the catch on third and short that McKenzie couldn’t make last week. 

Exactly!!!! And I don’t no why people on this board are so upset, if the dude can help great if not no harm. And I for one think he can still find a hole in zone and we know he can catch. We just need a catch or two on those plays we’re trying to close out games. GO Bills 

• Like (+1) 1

Beane bringing in another washed up has been just because it's a guy that Beane is familiar with. 

You can go out there and find a better UDFA than Beasley or ***** a guy like Kumerow off a PS. 

This is not a team that needs veteran leadership. If, indeed, Beasley is a "leader" at anything other than mouthing off on twitter. 

Edit: I used a synonym for "grab" that this site censored. Didn't realize it was banned lol

Edited by DabillsDaBillsDaBills
censored word
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 2
  • Dislike 1

8 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

Don't need him for YAC, just to get those first downs. I'll trade his savvy and hands over McKenzie's athleticism and grease mits.

And we need him to CATCH a 5 yard pass on 1st down and set us up with a 2nd & 5 rather then a 2nd & 10.

I also think this might actually help McK out.  Rather then ask him to run the precise, sit down in the zone, routes that a Beas can execute to perfection McK is now able to freelance more which is in tune with his gadget player mode.

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

At this point, just to literally catch the ball and fall down for any positive yardage on the play. Dont even need YAC to improve.

Yep, these third and forevers are killing us.  We're asking way too much of Josh with what he has to work with.  Between the drops, penalties, and guys just not getting open, we're expecting miracles.

1 minute ago, Success said:

Honestly, if we had Beasley all season, we'd probably have 1 loss right now (at most).

I don’t know about that.  I do know that slot is a huge problem.  This offense has no rhythm right now.  Gotta start stringing first downs together again.  It shouldn’t be such a freaking struggle to convert on third down. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.