Updated Beasley signing to practice squad

Niagara Dude

Just like TBD to turn this into a “waaaaahhh we don’t have Isaiah Hodgins” thread.  

we had a ton of injuries taking place when we lost him.  Beane was playing with the PS/roster and had to take a chance.  He did and he lost. It happens.

get over it….he ain’t coming back and crying about it just makes you look adolescent 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

WE LEAD THE NFL IN DROPS.

If anyone is confused why we added Cole to the PS then check above and read that three times to yourself again.

Or…read below:

100%  I have 0 doubts beasley is not washed out

Same people said Brown washed out too.  Dude is looking fast to me...

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, H2o said:

I think it's fair to say that a majority of the people incessantly whining about this signing are doing so solely on the reasoning of their personal vendettas they have against the guy. He was a very good football player for this team, his rapport with Josh is 2nd to none except Diggs, and if healthy/in shape will be a valuable asset to this team in our Playoff run. 

Not sure where you are seeing this. It's been like 1 or 2 posts in here. Heck, the majority of folks who dont like Beasley personally (myself included) are FOR the signing given the performance of our WRs.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, colin said:

the risk is he will disprove some really hot hot takes that have been posted here.  if you aren't in the take merchant game, you have NO IDEA what it takes to come up with your own hot takes, to get them out on a moderated board, WITHOUT GETTING BANNED, and the THRILL of being able to say i told you so and lord your takes over everyone.

deep down in places you don't post about on gameday threads, you want these hot takes, you NEED these hot takes.  So either step up and post about some 12th ranked qb in the draft and how we need to draft him as our back up, or some barely understood defensive scheme we have to change over to immediately.  otherwise, step back and let the takes happen!!

Well done!

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

If anyone is confused why we added Cole to the PS then check above and read that three times to yourself again.

Or…read below:

Diggs 7

Davis 7

McKenzie 5

Shakir 2

Knox 2

Beasley 6 

(Just Saying) 

Beasley was a guy Josh trusted to get up and make the catch on those crucial 3rd down situations.  Bease may not be as fast as he once was but he knows how to find those open spots in zone coverage and I trust his hands as much as Diggs.   Maybe we can run some more 4 wide sets too with him back.  I think this actually makes a sizeable impact for our offense for the rest of the season.  

• Like (+1) 1

I didn't mind the whole vax issue and his public stance on it, I actually agreed with him on it.

His comment about him being glad he's not here leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Still, if he can help us win, I'm all for it. 

Most of us had questions at WR going into the season and some of the moves Beane made didn't work. Let's do what we can to get through the rest of this season, but Beane definitely needs to address WR next offseason.  

12 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Chris states it early on and this is the big point...Ignore Beasley, forget about iMcK, don't nash your teeth over the Crowder injury, and even I can't keep going back to "why Ford over DK?" because that is pure history.

A number of us took heat for stating Gabe is not a 1B and our hope is that he is at least a 2.  Yes, he's battled through injuries and yes he has had flashes, and YES HE ADDS TO THIS TEAM.  However, the guy opposite Diggs has to be somewhere at least in the same sphere as Diggs.  

If your number 1 guy catches more than 100 balls each year for three years your number 2 needs to be Robert Woods, or at least 2018-2020 Robert Woods...86 receptions, 90 receptions, 90 receptions and a 1,000 yard average.  Heck even Peerless Price's 94 receptions to Eric Moulds' 100 catches from 2002 is the duo you need.

38 receptions in 12 games, catching little more than 50% of your targets (38 of 71) isn't the juggernaut #2 we hoped for.  I hope he changes the narrative on everything from here on out, but right now he is on pace for 50 or so receptions.  

So s*** on this post all you want, but it is not going to make it any less true. 

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

This is fake news. We were told by @john wawrowthat Beasley and the covid drama nearly tor the team apart last year. There's no way they'd bring him back.

John wawrow was projecting who knows if truth back then. But now signed him. Thinking he possibly was projecting with little self control.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

The drop % for Bease and Diggs is significantly lower though. 

Talking Drops a drop is a drop.  That is what the OP posted.

Yes % makes the high target players look better but end of the day drop is a drop.  And Beasley does drop balls

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

8 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Alot of was and ifs in that sentence.

I go back to my initial take

Dont hate it

Most probable outcome Beasley is washed and isnt any more productive than we have.

Best Case outcome after no hitting for a year maybe he can turn back the clock and give us 7 games in 2020 form

I think part of the back and forth is that there has been a vocal crowd pounding the table for Beasley and a vocal response that people thought he was toast. 

Here we are, he is on the roster. And now people are either saying either "Finally this is the solution!" or "What a nothing burger. The guy is dunzo". 

I really think the issue is that we have 2 receiving backs that we rarely throw the ball to, along with a high priced TE who lines up in the slot as much as any TE in the league but is never thrown to, an OL that is inconsistent on its best days, and a QB that has a penchant to attempt low percentage throws more often than high percentage throws. Cole Beasley doesn't fix any of that. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

By the way, the chant is BEASEEEEEEE, not BOOOOOOOOOOOOO 

It annoyed t me when Cole complained about being booo'ed when it was quite the opposite. That was sketch. I'm literally yelling for the guy and he claims that I was booo'ing. That was weird.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Diggs 7

Davis 7

McKenzie 5

Shakir 2

Knox 2

Beasley 6 

(Just Saying) 

Gotta normalize it by target or it doesnt mean anything.  Once you normalize it by target you see that he was actually about as good as Diggs this year and better than McKenize, Shakir, and Davis.

Diggs 7= .05

Davis 7=.09

McKenzie 5=.09

Shakir 2=.11

Knox 2=.04

Beasley 6=.05

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, billrooter said:

Not practice squad for long......

Will be there for at least three weeks.  They will elevate him very weekend and put him back into the PS.  It is a 3 game tryout

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think part of the back and forth is that there has been a vocal crowd pounding the table for Beasley and a vocal response that people thought he was toast. 

Here we are, he is on the roster. And now people are either saying either "Finally this is the solution!" or "What a nothing burger. The guy is dunzo". 

I really think the issue is that we have 2 receiving backs that we rarely throw the ball to, along with a high priced TE who lines up in the slot as much as any TE in the league but is never thrown to, an OL that is inconsistent on its best days, and a QB that has a penchant to attempt low percentage throws more often than high percentage throws. Cole Beasley doesn't fix any of that. 

I agree.  End of the day the Bills are the 2nd best team in the NFL on 3rd down and you have the Beasley Anons making is sound like we never convert a 3rd down.  

Slot production is a problem, WR production is a problem, but they are send and third order issues to the fact our OL cannot block anything and the only time Josh has time is when Knox and Backs are left in to block.  Or Josh does Josh things

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, damj said:

I didn't mind the whole vax issue and his public stance on it, I actually agreed with him on it.

His comment about him being glad he's not here leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Still, if he can help us win, I'm all for it. 

Most of us had questions at WR going into the season and some of the moves Beane made didn't work. Let's do what we can to get through the rest of this season, but Beane definitely needs to address WR next offseason.  

Yeah from a football standpoint if he can help the team rest of it doesn't matter much. He just needs to avoid making himself a distraction once here and focus on football. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

With the way defenses play us now the smart high IQ slot WR is so freaking crucial.  

Take what they give.  

Move the chains.  

This.  All day long.  It’s a huge need.  Whether Beasley is the guy to fill the need is to be determined.  We know that the guys otherwise available to us now aren’t cutting it.  

It’s nice that they took the step this week.  We beat Miami at home last year because of Beasley.  I’m not saying that I expect anything like that this week.  He might not even be active.  But if he can pick up one key third down it’s worth it.  

I did not like the distraction that Beasley was to the team in his last stint and I did not like the negative comments he made on the way out the door.  That said, if he keeps mouth shut and focuses on football, he may be able to help.  A few random comments about the situation:

• If Crowder was healthy, I don't think this signing occurs
  • We got Beasley back at a much lower price than had we retained him going into the season
  • We got Beasley back fully healthy at the end of the season, where he has not been in previous seasons
  • For now, he's only on the Practice Squad.  So he has a little bit of time to get into game shape.  And if he shows in practice that he's simply washed out and done, he can easily be released.
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Gotta normalize it by target or it doesnt mean anything.  Once you normalize it by target you see that he was actually about as good as Diggs this year and better than McKenize, Shakir, and Davis.

Diggs 7= .05

Davis 7=.09

McKenzie 5=.09

Shakir 2=.11

Knox 2=.04

Beasley 6=.05

Again I dont have to do anything.  because I was responding to the OP that said we lead the league in drops.  Not we league the lead in drops normalized by target

Will be there for at least three weeks.  They will elevate him very weekend and put him back into the PS.  It is a 3 game tryout

We disagree, he is healthier than last year and IMO if he remains that way in - weeks he's lifting that trophy with his teammates. Positive thinking Ricky Bobby...

Who cares what he did in the past if he can make amends in the locker room and come out on the field and maked 5 to 10 catches a game like he did before its worth it.

McKenzie and Crowder sure as hell never game us a 5 to 10 catch game this year for the 8 Million we paid them.  They were also at the bottom of this league in reliability when on the field when it came to catching the ball.  

What matters is,  if Beasley can prolongs drives and gets us more of an advantage in the slot again this is a huge piece that has been missing from our game this year.

Glad he's back.

Edited by Toyo321
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Diggs 7= .05

Davis 7=.09

McKenzie 5=.09

Shakir 2=.11

Knox 2=.04

Beasley 6=.05

Knock it off! He doesn't have to do anything. 

It was just pointless banter.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I agree.  End of the day the Bills are the 2nd best team in the NFL on 3rd down and you have the Beasley Anons making is sound like we never convert a 3rd down.  

Slot production is a problem, WR production is a problem, but they are send and third order issues to the fact our OL cannot block anything and the only time Josh has time is when Knox and Backs are left in to block.  Or Josh does Josh things

I’m not a Bease anon (quite the opposite, actually), and I usually agree with just about everything you say.  The last four weeks, however, have been a major problem.  And, after watching McKenzie nearly make a mess of another game on Sunday, I’m willing to take the low-risk, high-reward approach here and see if we get a little lucky. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, msw2112 said:

I did not like the distraction that Beasley was to the team in his last stint and I did not like the negative comments he made on the way out the door.  That said, if he keeps mouth shut and focuses on football, he may be able to help.  A few random comments about the situation:

• If Crowder was healthy, I don't think this signing occurs
  • We got Beasley back at a much lower price than had we retained him going into the season
  • We got Beasley back fully healthy at the end of the season, where he has not been in previous seasons
  • For now, he's only on the Practice Squad.  So he has a little bit of time to get into game shape.  And if he shows in practice that he's simply washed out and done, he can easily be released.

I agree with the top Bullet.

I will add another, if we didnt need Knox to bail out the OL an he could actually get into routes, this signing doesn't occur.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Toyo321 said:

Who cares what he did in the past if he can make amends in the locker room and come out on the field and maked 5 to 10 catches a game like he did before its worth it.

McKenzie and Crowder sure as hell never game us a 5 to 10 catch game this year for the 8 Million we paid them.  They were also at the bottom of this league in reliability when on the field when it came to catching the ball.  

What matters is,  if Beasley can prolongs drives and gets us more of an advantage in the slot again this is a huge piece that has been missing from out game this year.

Glad he's back.

Actually McKenzie has 3 5+ catch games. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I agree with the top Bullet.

I will add another, if we didnt need Knox to bail out the OL an he could actually get into routes, this signing doesn't occur.

Agreed on both counts, and I’ll add that if Hodgins was still here he’d have had a crack at this role already. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, billrooter said:

We disagree, he is healthier than last year and IMO if he remains that way in - weeks he's lifting that trophy with his teammates. Positive thinking Ricky Bobby...

Has to make the team first.  Which means he has to show he can still play..  He is on the PS.  Will come up on GameDays and go back to PS for the next 3 weeks.  Then decision time.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.