Moving to Cleveland

Ethan in Cleveland

After 20 years in the Pacific NW, I'm heading back east. I took a job with University Hospitals in Cleveland and bought a house along the lake on the east side. Movers are coming on Sept 7 and will be driving one car with my wife and two cats 2635 miles.  Will have to listen to the Rams game on the radio probably somewhere in Montana. 

Super excited to be so close to Buffalo for this upcoming season.  Should be just under 3 hours from my house to the stadium.

I'm going to need to get used to 1pm start times again. Prime time games will be easier to watch.  Looking forward to a quick trip to Detroit for Thanksgiving game.  

Does anyone know if I can update my screen name? Or start a new one with the same email?

• Like (+1) 17
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

UH is a great hospital system. Best of luck and enjoy. The weather sucks but there are a lot of good restaurants and nice people in Cleveland. 

My sister has been on the East Side of Cleveland since she went to JCU in 1995. Depending on how far east you are, you can get to the stadium in 2.5 hours. I’ve gone right from her house to games a few times. I’d leave between 7-7:30 AM and be in the parking lot between 9:30-10. It’s an easy trip.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Congrats on the new job and the new house. 

My condolences on your nearly 2600+ mile trip with 2 cats.  I moved 2 cats (plus a well-traveled dog) just 300+ miles once, and I guarantee cats are NOT good travelers, especially since most only travel to and from the vet's office.   My suggestion: get them microchipped and teach them to walk on leashes with harnesses so you can take them out of the travel crate(s) or so that you can secure them before you open the crate(s) to feed/water/clean.   I would also plan the route to travel shorter periods than when traveling without pets.  

Good luck.

Edited by SoTier
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

After 20 years in the Pacific NW, I'm heading back east. I took a job with University Hospitals in Cleveland and bought a house along the lake on the east side. Movers are coming on Sept 7 and will be driving one car with my wife and two cats 2635 miles.  Will have to listen to the Rams game on the radio probably somewhere in Montana. 

Super excited to be so close to Buffalo for this upcoming season.  Should be just under 3 hours from my house to the stadium.

I'm going to need to get used to 1pm start times again. Prime time games will be easier to watch.  Looking forward to a quick trip to Detroit for Thanksgiving game.  

Does anyone know if I can update my screen name? Or start a new one with the same email?

Ethan, I think you can edit it, but just PM Simon, Chandler or one of the other Mods.  They are pretty helpful.  

Im glad you’re closer to Buffalo, but get ready to see grey skies more than not.  I’ve spent time in Cleveland several times for work and the people generally are pretty nice like Buffalonians.  BTW- I’ve been I. Those hospitals before in training for a previous company.

Safe travels TBD brother.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Congratulations on the move.  Screen name questions should be directed to @BringBackFergy who has more aliases than anyone outside of @DC Tom

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I don’t think you should change your name. I don’t like change. 
But congrats and safe travels to the new home 

No,  Eathan the Dawg would not be good

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 1

I’ll actually say Cleveland is nice—particularly in the summer (but don’t tell anyone I said it, it’s a crime here in Pittsburgh!).   My brother went to Case Western for a while, cool part of the city. Very close to Buffalo.  Often run into fellow Bills fans from Cle in Erie on game day.  Good luck with the move!!  (even though as @StHustlesaid, you really had to do this on the season opener!!!)

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

"The artist formerly known as Ethan in Portland"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

4 hours ago, StHustle said:

Ethan in Cleveland has a nice ring to it. But man you really had no choice but to schedule this once in a 20 year move on opening day of our most anticipated season ever??? 

No, it doesn't...but 'Ethan in The Factory of Sadness' does.

:beer:

• Haha (+1) 2

Always considered Cleveland a type of sister city to Buffalo. One of my best friends from college is from Cleveland and a big part of why we became friends was a mutual understanding of how miserable it was to be a fan of our cities’ sports teams. (James left for the Heat our freshman year.) Anyways, safe travels and Go Bills!

Congratulations on the new job and house, haven’t been to Cleveland in some years, I remember it being a good place to be with good people, and you will just add to all of that, 👍

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Ethan, I think you can edit it, but just PM Simon, Chandler or one of the other Mods.  They are pretty helpful.  

Im glad you’re closer to Buffalo, but get ready to see grey skies more than not.  I’ve spent time in Cleveland several times for work and the people generally are pretty nice like Buffalonians.  BTW- I’ve been I. Those hospitals before in training for a previous company.

Safe travels TBD brother.

Ha! He’s moving from Portland, OR, he’ll be used to it. 

• Haha (+1) 2

Congrats Ethan!  Good luck with the move and the new job 

you should trade in the cats for a dog!

PST >>>>>>> EST but if your work schedule allows you to watch more sports on EST than I suppose it may be better in your situation.  

Welcome to Cleveland.  I moved here two years ago from South Carolina and live near the Lake on the west side.  Unfortunately, you will be getting those lake affect snow squalls, but it is not as bad as the Nor'easters I used to endure in CT.  I would love to travel to Bills games now that I am close but ticket prices have gotten out of my price range as I near retirement.  Hope your trip goes well.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Yes you can as if you notice my screen name, didn't always have quite as many words.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Well, Ethan you may like Cleveland. You know the hipster donut shops in Portland? Those are just called coffee shops in Cleveland. Donuts are just as good. You know how people grow beards and dress like lumberjacks in Portland? Those are just men in the unemployment line in Cleveland.  

Edited by MiltonWaddams
  • Haha (+1) 2

Cleveland has some awesome choices for medical care. When my wife was undergoing cancer treatment, we went to University Hospitals of Cleveland for a radiation option. They took their time evaluating her, and referred us to Memorial Sloan Kettering in NYC because it would have been a better option for my wife. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Dude wtf???  You don't listen to first game of the year on the radio.  You pull over, eat dinner and watch the game at a restaurant.  Your wife knows you by now.

Even if it's at Applebees, it's a nationally televised game and will be on everywhere.  .

Congrats on leaving Portland.  I was there 2 months ago and it was like I was on an episode of the Walking Dead.  Junkies on the sidewalks and in tents everywhere.

I was staying at a hotel downtown.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.