Davante Adams trade speculation…UPDATE: Schefter says no chance he is traded today (link pg 17)

Alphadawg7

18 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Totally with you on this. Mike Evans seems like a great guy, easy to root for, ready to accept a WR2ish role (already kind of doing it in Tampa).

Got to hope for the Tampa collapse continuing, losing 4 out of the next 5.  Culminating with a thorough butt whipping by the Bills on Thursday night right before the trade deadline.

Tell Evans to pack heavy for the road trip. Like…..a moving van!   😋

• Like (+1) 1

Adam’s with Josh and Diggs would be spectacular but I don’t see it happening as Adam’s is on a huge contract that won’t fit in with the Bills long term cap situation. I think if the Bills go out there and make a WR acquisition it will be a one year rental like a WR on an expiring contract like Mike Evans or Jerry Jeudy. 

4 hours ago, mrags said:

Channel 9 Reaction GIF by The Block

His base salary for this season is $6M so if they acquired him at mid-season the Bills would only need around $3M in cap room.

If he's awesome, you re-work his deal or just add some void years to it to keep him next season because the deal he signed in 2022 was really just a 3 year deal.

If he continues to be one of the 2 best WR in the entire NFL for both of those years then you consider re-working his deal  when his cap hits get crazy.

The issue is entirely with how the Raiders would create room on THEIR end.

4 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

With respect to in-season trade targets I would rather have Mike Evans, and Mike Evans is more realistic IMO.

I think the Bills want someone who can accept being #2 on our team, have a contract that overlaps Diggs by a year at least (for Diggs insurance- he has shown some stability problems, much as D Adams is kind of doing).  And there is a budget, probably a flexible budget but it doesn't seem to be unlimited.

As much as I like Evans I think you are a bit dug in on this idea if you wouldn't prefer the GREAT Adams to the very good Mike Evans........and also think acquiring an impending free agent would be better for the budget than a guy like Adams who would have only about $20M in cap hits combined in 2023-2024.    Mike Evans is probably looking for something like 4 years $80M+ on the open market.

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

As much as I like Evans I think you are a bit dug in on this idea if you wouldn't prefer the GREAT Adams to the very good Mike Evans........and also think acquiring an impending free agent would be better for the budget than a guy like Adams who would have only about $20M in cap hits combined in 2023-2024.    Mike Evans is probably looking for something like 4 years $80M+ on the open market.

This. I’d imagine the Raiders would want the bills to eat some money and trade a player plus pick back though… Considering McDaniel’s roots it’d likely be Knox in the ask for cap balance; maybe a D-lineman like Oliver though. 🤷‍♂️. Hard to tell how it would go. 

Evans on the other hand would likely just be for picks, and as an add on for a 2nd-4th…. Worth it. We’ll see how things play out. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

the salary cap exists to prevent wealthy owners/teams from stacking their rosters, among other reasons.

Without the salary cap, Ralph would have cheaped out the team into another city 20 years ago

Can't have it both ways

Ralph literally made provisions that  upon his death made it nearly impossible for the Bills to be moved.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Let me start by saying I love me some Diggs. But I’d consider a multi-team trade or swap straight up that includes him. It might just be all of the off-season chatter. But Diggs seems unhappy to me. 

He just seems bummed, even when he makes a play. Maybe it’s in my head, but if he does want out, Adams makes a lot of sense. Don’t see Diggs wanting to go to the Raiders which is why I think a multi-team trade would make more sense. 

IMG_4284.jpeg

6 hours ago, stevewin said:

Harty and a 5th

See the trouble with this is that it's an asymmetrical trade.  You're giving up a WR to get a WR which is even steven but then you're also sending over a draft pick which can be used to get another player.  So that's two players for one, not fair for us.

22 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

See the trouble with this is that it's an asymmetrical trade.  You're giving up a WR to get a WR which is even steven but then you're also sending over a draft pick which can be used to get another player.  So that's two players for one, not fair for us.

We have several of these late round picks

4 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Adam’s with Josh and Diggs would be spectacular but I don’t see it happening as Adam’s is on a huge contract that won’t fit in with the Bills long term cap situation. I think if the Bills go out there and make a WR acquisition it will be a one year rental like a WR on an expiring contract like Mike Evans or Jerry Jeudy. 

Jeudy is young and would likely play well here away from the Denver fiasco 

Edited by RyanC883

7 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Josh McDaniels is a great coach.

That Belichick apple tree seems to drop nothing but rotten ones. Vrabel is the only decent one I can think of.

Did no one in the Raiders org not see Josh McD fail miserably in Denver? I mean they are in the same division. 

Tom Brady polished a lot of turds in New England. 

Edited by Bubba Gump
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm getting pretty tired of seeing all these ridiculous trade rumors on the internet all because some guy gets close to his deadline to write a story, dreams up a theory & sends it in so he can get paid for writing nonsense.  So far, I've seen every QB making less than $40 million getting traded to the Jets.  

3 hours ago, Beast said:

That doesn’t mean the Bills weren’t in on it, does it? Or does it mean, in your world, that only the team that signs or trades for a player has interest?

In my world they haven’t brought in anyone to challenge Davis in 2 years. My world is real.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

9 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

There seems to be a growing sentiment that Adams may want out and that Raiders could explore a trade.

Im not normally one to say go get someone like him between trade costs and cap space…but, he’s still dominant and a duo of him and Diggs with Allen at QB would be unreal.  

Now let me be clear, I’m fully aware the odds of this are slim to none, especially from a cap perspective, and I think the Bills are fine right now in terms of overall weapons anyway.  But Bills were a team mentioned as one of 7 in a report talking about who should pursue him if traded and that just got me day dreaming of Diggs and Adams lined up on the field together with Allen 🤤

But hey, even though I know it won’t likely happen…let’s pretend Beane made the cap stuff work and wanted to pull the trigger…I would offer them Davis and our 2024 2nd without a second thought.  

A guy can dream can’t he lol

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10091109-7-nfl-teams-that-should-pursue-trade-for-raiders-davante-adams

IF he could make the cap work? Davis and a 2nd? Yeah, I'd do that.

But while this year the cap could work, the next three years his salary will be $16.8M, $35.6M and $35.6M. 

The cap won't work out.

9 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

You could probably throw Elam in there too seeing that he's inactive every week 

Not a Cap guy. Choosing to ignore that for the thought Experiment.

Gabe, Tre White, 2024 #2 & 3.

If that doesn't create a Lombardi, Dorsey must go and Pegula should start digging a well for OC salary. Go proven because you must pull a Lombardi outta a trade like that, With this roster 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Is Adams better than Gabe Davis yes

But how old is Davante Adams?

I’m just starting to get the opinion that whoever is in that second wide receiver slot needs to be on a controlled contract

Controlled contract? Yup. You don't see many teams with two WRs making $25M or more. It's too much investment in the one position.

You surprised me there with Adams' age. I thought he was around 28. But no. He's close to the downslope, though not there yet.

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

But while this year the cap could work, the next three years his salary will be $16.8M, $35.6M and $35.6M. 

The cap won't work out.

There is a doable out after next year but I think it only makes sense for the Bills if he adjusts his contract. If he cares about getting the most money then it makes no sense. If he is desperate to play for a contender the Bills could promise to give him another chance to cash in on FA after this season and void the rest of the deal. 

The only guaranteed money on his deal after 2023 is the $16.8m he is due as a 2024 salary. You would HAVE to think he'd make more than that as a signing bonus of he was a FA next March. 

The question then of course becomes how much are you willing to give up for a 10 or 12 game rental (depending when it happened) and I doubt that is a big enough haul to make it attractive to the Raiders. 

11 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

That Belichick apple tree seems to drop nothing but rotten ones. Vrabel is the only decent one I can think of.

Did no one in the Raiders org not see Josh McD fail miserably in Denver? I mean they are in the same division. 

Tom Brady polished a lot of turds in New England. 

True. There wouldn’t be a Belichick coaching tree if not for one Tom Brady. 

11 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

The cap won't work out.

Why would an expiring contract Gabe Davis have any value at all to a team that's not in contention?    If you are going that route it has to be a 3 team trade that would send Davis to a contender.

But Davante Adams is at worst the 2nd best WR in the NFL......literally 3 straight first team All Pro seasons.......and is still in his prime and absurdly good.........suggesting that just a second round pick and an expiring contract would even be a remote possibility is just ignorant.

As for the cap.........the cap can work for Buffalo.........his deal can be re-structured in 2024 because his 2024 cap number is low enough to be adjusted with some void years and a signing bonus.    After that you release him or tear up his deal and give him a new one.   It was clearly intended to be a 3 year deal when signed in 2022 just with incredibly large team options starting in 2025 which would necessitate a re-negotiation or his release.

The Raiders are the ones who would have a hard time figuring out the cap hit to them.........not the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

Jeudy is young and would likely play well here away from the Denver fiasco 

if it wasnt for Jeudy's injury history maybe it'd be an idea but too risky going forward imho. As for now someone like Mike Evans makes more sense to me. Davante Adams doesnt, big name tho of course. I can see why it'd garner interest but yeah its highly unlikely to happen.

21 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Why would an expiring contract Gabe Davis have any value at all to a team that's not in contention?    If you are going that route it has to be a 3 team trade that would send Davis to a contender.

But Davante Adams is at worst the 2nd best WR in the NFL......literally 3 straight first team All Pro seasons.......and is still in his prime and absurdly good.........suggesting that just a second round pick and an expiring contract would even be a remote possibility is just ignorant.

As for the cap.........the cap can work for Buffalo.........his deal can be re-structured in 2024 because his 2024 cap number is low enough to be adjusted with some void years and a signing bonus.    After that you release him or tear up his deal and give him a new one.   It was clearly intended to be a 3 year deal when signed in 2022 just with incredibly large team options starting in 2025 which would necessitate a re-negotiation or his release.

The Raiders are the ones who would have a hard time figuring out the cap hit to them.........not the Bills.

Raiders would actually be fine. 

they take about a $1M hit this season and a $24M hit next season, but they are projected to have $45M in space. 

Assuming they would trade Davante they would be tearing it down anyway, which means guys like Jones would be on the chopping block regardless to free up space.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

they take about a $1M hit this season and a $24M hit next season, but they are projected to have $45M in space. 

According to Spotrac even with the dead cap hits the Raiders would save $6.8 million this year (not sure if that would change further into the season) and $1.8 million next year. They would be paying a player not on their roster which is a tough pill to swallow but it would make their cap situation slightly better, not worse. For a team possibly wanting to tear it all down and start over, and hopefully Adams himself putting some pressure on them to trade him to a contender, that isn't a bad outcome.

The biggest issue in my mind is you would need agreement from a coach and GM desperate to win enough games to keep their jobs next year. Unless Mark Davis himself steps in and forces the trade, why would they agree to do that?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.