Impressions from game

JMM

4 minutes ago, Rich Stadium Original said:

Purely a gut feeling..will have to go back and look at the stats again, but..

Thought Cook looked good..even aside from the TD hit the holes well in his limited action.

Vance more than held his own at guard.

Allen has two weeks to get in sync if he wants to be QB2

Looks like they are pretty confident in THAT rookie TE if they hardly played him

Unimpressed with starting defensive line. Weak again against the run, and only pass rush was generated by blitzing. 

We was also missing three really good players on the defensive line. Let's see how it looks with Jones and Philips in the rotation. Next week possibly.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Posted this in the game day thread as well, but Cook already has me excited for this season.

His vision to bounce runs outside is something we have missed for many years when Singletary was the running back.

I have no doubt that Singletary plows into the line rather than bouncing it outside for the TD on this play:

Here is what Singletary frustratingly has done all too often:

Not to mention Zack Moss…

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

See I don't think the backup line was a disaster. I think the Quarterback was a disaster.  The line looked mostly fine when Barkley was in. 

Kyle Allen was absolutely atrocious. Including holding the ball forever, staring down receivera and fidgety, skittish feet in the pocket. 

I thought there was some good from the backup linemen.... Edwards and Van Denmark in particular. I thought Ike Boettger really struggled on the 3rd unit. He doesn't look like the player he was pre ankle surgery. Equally I think Broeker had some nice moments.

Our 2nd team line was a hell of a lot better than Indy's.

The 3rd string OLine was pretty bad. Allen had no time that first series. He didnt play horribly. Barkley obviously looked awesome vs 3rd stringers and seemed to have timing perfect.

Allen still has work to do but i would say solid. Colts had their starters out ther longer than us so he played a lot with our backups and their starters. And he had to deal with some pretty bad crucial drops from Shakir and Morris that would have extended drives.

• Disagree 3

47 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Barkely did well in the 4th qtr of game 1 preseason, against many players that probably won't be in the league in 3 weeks.

I didn’t know Barkley was playing with the first team offense. Thanks for the heads up.

47 minutes ago, klos63 said:
Edited by Beast

35 minutes ago, Success said:

He was good, regardless of the circumstances.  I'd feel better w/ him as QB2 right now.

Barkley has close to 10 years in the league, so he should look good against 3rd/4th stringers.  Kyle Allen is learning a new offense and was playing against Colts’ starters.  That’s not meant to make excuses for Kyle Allen, it is just a fact.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

The 3rd string OLine was pretty bad. Allen had no time that first series. He didnt play horribly. Barkley obviously looked awesome vs 3rd stringers and seemed to have timing perfect.

Allen still has work to do but i would say solid. Colts had their starters out ther longer than us so he played a lot with our backups and their starters. And he had to deal with some pretty bad crucial drops from Shakir and Morris that would have extended drives.

He was awful.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Some thoughts on the game. 

Regarding running backs:

I’ve said since they got him that Harris would be a lateral move from Motor at best, but likely a downgrade- the biggest issue being durability. Of course, Harris is out because he’s dinged up already. Mimms should get quite a few more looks before the cut down. 

I said during the game: Murray’s the sort of downhill power back we haven’t had in a long time. Glad he’s here. 

can Evans be K/PR?

Regarding wide receivers:

Shavers > Shorter, inconsistency notwithstanding. 

Would have liked to have seen more of Harry and Isabella as WRs. Neither seemed too inspiring as K/PR. 

Like everyone else, I want to believe in Shakir. And honestly, I think he’s going to pull it together. He has big play ability. 

Regarding O-line:

I’m nowhere near as concerned with the O-line depth as many one here. It’s not as if the entire first unit’s going to go down to be replaced by the #2s. And the first unit looked pretty good to me. Certainly upgraded from last season. 

Regarding the D-line:

Dang, that’s a deep unit!

Poona Ford has the thighs of a Rhinoceros. 

I don’t know that Ed Oliver is going to have the “break out year” many think he’s going to have. 

Boogie is one of the more underrated players on the team. He is a bit slow for his position, but he makes plays. That being said, (as many others believe), I think he might be a smart trade candidate. 

Regarding the secondary:

When do we get to stop talking about the heroic return of Damar Hamlin?

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

This is being pretty nitpicky wouldn’t you say? It would be more of a story if they played well-there’s a reason why they are so low in the depth chart 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Kyle Allen was absolutely atrocious. Including holding the ball forever, staring down receivera and fidgety, skittish feet in the pocket. 

Kyle Allen is so bad that it makes me upset that we didn’t pursue a better backup option. Maybe there was literally no one else available? I haven’t checked.

Absolutely anyone has to be better than what he has shown throughout camp and in this game.

If Allen goes down for ANY amount of time - even one game - I find little optimism for a route for us to produce a win.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Gimme a   T!  T!

Gimme an R!  R!

Gimme a   A!  A!

Gimme an S!  S!

Gimme an H!  H!

Waddaya gor? 

KYLE ALLEN!

It wasn’t aired anywhere down here so listened to a bit in the 2nd half on Sirius.  Kyle Allen sounded terrible from what you guys are telling me.

I honestly don’t have a problem with Barkley as our primary backup.  We’ve been fortunate in the past with Trubisky and so on.  

I know it’s always possible, but Allen has been incredibly durable.  I know he was out for a few games in 2018, but he really has improved escaping, and even sliding more.  After today, my guess is McBeane are sitting him down and telling him no mistakes moving forward.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Kyle Allen is so bad that it makes me upset that we didn’t pursue a better backup option. Maybe there was literally no one else available? I haven’t checked.

Absolutely anyone has to be better than what he has shown throughout camp and in this game.

If Allen goes down for ANY amount of time - even one game - I find little optimism for a route for us to produce a win.

Kyle Allen played well in the league in the past and was one of the better backup QB options. Barkley looks like the better option at this point

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

This is being pretty nitpicky wouldn’t you say? It would be more of a story if they played well-there’s a reason why they are so low in the depth chart 

Yeah but thats why I think Kyle Allen looked so bad that first drive out of the half.

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He was awful.

He was on pace for 16-30 244 Yards for a full game... not great but considering he was playing with backups and Colts had their starters in longer. And he is learning a new offense. Id hardly say awful... bot great by anymeans but ive seen way way worse performances. Especially in preseason. Heck ive seen worse performances out of Barkley in the past

• Disagree 2

13 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

It wasn’t aired anywhere down here so listened to a bit in the 2nd half on Sirius.  Kyle Allen sounded terrible from what you guys are telling me.

I honestly don’t have a problem with Barkley as our primary backup.  We’ve been fortunate in the past with Trubisky and so on.  

I know it’s always possible, but Allen has been incredibly durable.  I know he was out for a few games in 2018, but he really has improved escaping, and even sliding more.  After today, my guess is McBeane are sitting him down and telling him no mistakes moving forward.

Watched the game live at my Son’s home on Firestick (Unlimited Tv) Buffalo feed. Convinced me to purchase it @ $35/month. We live in Jacksonville Florida.

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Some thoughts on the game. 

Regarding running backs:

I’ve said since they got him that Harris would be a lateral move from Motor at best, but likely a downgrade- the biggest issue being durability. Of course, Harris is out because he’s dinged up already. Mimms should get quite a few more looks before the cut down. 

I said during the game: Murray’s the sort of downhill power back we haven’t had in a long time. Glad he’s here. 

can Evans be K/PR?

Regarding wide receivers:

Shavers > Shorter, inconsistency notwithstanding. 

Would have liked to have seen more of Harry and Isabella as WRs. Neither seemed too inspiring as K/PR. 

Like everyone else, I want to believe in Shakir. And honestly, I think he’s going to pull it together. He has big play ability. 

Regarding O-line:

I’m nowhere near as concerned with the O-line depth as many one here. It’s not as if the entire first unit’s going to go down to be replaced by the #2s. And the first unit looked pretty good to me. Certainly upgraded from last season. 

Regarding the D-line:

Dang, that’s a deep unit!

Poona Ford has the thighs of a Rhinoceros. 

I don’t know that Ed Oliver is going to have the “break out year” many think he’s going to have. 

Boogie is one of the more underrated players on the team. He is a bit slow for his position, but he makes plays. That being said, (as many others believe), I think he might be a smart trade candidate. 

Regarding the secondary:

When do we get to stop talking about the heroic return of Damar Hamlin?

WTF!?!? It’s his first game action since the incident. To answer your question,  though, YOU can stop whenever you want. You don’t need permission. 🙄

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

20 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

It looked like everyone had fun and that’s really important 

And the orange slices were extra thick and juicy! 

😋

I kid, I kid. I haven’t seen it yet, but I like when they look like they love what they are doing. 

• Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, JMM said:

It's obvious they want Torrence to be starter and Bates backup center. He held his own. Kincaid was in first 2 series, maybe they wanted to keep him under wraps a bit because he was invisible. 

Backup O line a disaster. Pray no injuries.  Middle D bad against run. I'd like to see Daquan and Poona in there early downs. Let Oliver be pass downs or move him around, he gets plowed.

Allen has good arm but I see what they have been saying during camp. Bad decisions , looks jumpy. Frankly if Josh out a game I'd rather see Barkley, he was terrific today.

Isabella flashed! Reminds me of young Beasley.  Keep him. Shavers flashed, love his length. Harty is TINY! Yikes, but I can see how he could be explosive in open field.

All in all a decent performance.  Next week we get to see the closest to what the week 1 Bills will look like. 

I thought Gouraige and Broeker played well on the O-line. Dorian Williams made some plays. KeeSean Johnson was solid

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Beast said:

What I saw was a lot of young wide receivers that want to make this squad and played rather well. 

Ateman, Patmon and Johnson caught my eye. Ateman has some damned strong hands.

If they play well in preseason then could land on another team if they don't make the cut on Bills.  In some cases the player may have a longer career on a less talented team.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

See I don't think the backup line was a disaster. I think the Quarterback was a disaster.  The line looked mostly fine when Barkley was in. 

I thought there was some good from the backup linemen.... Edwards and Van Denmark in particular. I thought Ike Boettger really struggled on the 3rd unit. He doesn't look like the player he was pre ankle surgery. Equally I think Broeker had some nice moments.

Our 2nd team line was a hell of a lot better than Indy's.

What did you think about Gouraige? I thought he played well

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, BBFL said:

That Singletary play was one he did in fact cut back to the right… but got caught at the edge. 

I think Cook is the better prospect but Devin wasn’t god awful here. All RBs can miss a channel for free yards here or there. 

I agree.  I liked Singletary.  But Cook has some great potential.  My problem last season is that when some defender scraped a fingernail on Cook he went down.  He’d go down easily when breathed on.  He’s gonna have to break some arm tackles occasionally. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Kmart128 said:

Boettger was the missing link in the backup O-line play

Kyle Allen sucks.

Cook is fast.

Shakir has developed a case of the Knox.

The run defense looks much better without Edmunds.

The defense as a whole looks more aggressive with McDermott calling the shots. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Dorian Williams looked fantastic

Micah Hyde and Damar Hamlin were both in on a few tackles which was great to see coming back from the injuries they had last year.

Shakir shouldn't have dropped that easy pass but before that he made two real nice catches and had a heads up block on K. Allen's scramble for a first down.

• Like (+1) 3

Trying not to overreact as its preseason and game 1 at that.  Here are my impressions:

I discounted the andy isabella signing but he has a different gear.  I don't know if he will make the team but if he doesn't I'm intrigued enough to hope he lands on the ps.

I like to think im a knowledgable fan and I pay attention to camp reports and everything Bills related.  I had to double check who travon howard was but man that hit! That's football baby! Good clean shot that prevented the 2 pointer.  Was a great play and was my official football is back play!

I think Kyle Allen lost his spot today and Barkley moved to #2.  Allen struggled mightily and Barkley was quick decisive and had a couple of nice throws.

Cook look fast! I had high hopes for him this year and it looks like he can be not just a guy but a playmaker!

Some real nice play designs today that created some wide open players.  Specifically thinking about the td pass to shavers for example.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

WTF!?!? It’s his first game action since the incident. To answer your question,  though, YOU can stop whenever you want. You don’t need permission. 🙄

Jesus, don't get so triggered. "The incident" has utterly dominated everything the national media has said about the Bills since it happened. I was watching "Inside Training Camp" the other day, and it was the only thing reported about the Bills camp. "Damar Hamlin walked out onto the field... now onto the Jets..." And yeah, it's his first game back. They may now start talking about Damar Hamlin, the player. 

And in my opinion, it does him a disservice to continually define him by that extremely rare occurrence.

Edited by Rocky Landing
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Dislike 1

Overall the returns seem to be good, like any game you have some that did well others that didn’t. I think week 2 is where we will get a better glimpse of starters and such. The flow of the three game preseason has yet to really be standardized throughout the league. 

When there was four preseason games you had a good understanding of how teams approached preseason. Game one was almost completely backups, game two starters played a quarter and a half, game three starters played the first half and a bit of the second and game four was almost all backups last shot to make the roster. 

But now with one less game the whole flow is off. Not the biggest deal but just an observation 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, BBFL said:

That Singletary play was one he did in fact cut back to the right… but got caught at the edge. 

I think Cook is the better prospect but Devin wasn’t god awful here. All RBs can miss a channel for free yards here or there. 

Agree, plus those still images of gaping holes and cutback lanes can be really misleading. 

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

Posted this in the game day thread as well, but Cook already has me excited for this season.

His vision to bounce runs outside is something we have missed for many years when Singletary was the running back.

I have no doubt that Singletary plows into the line rather than bouncing it outside for the TD on this play:

Here is what Singletary frustratingly has done all too often:

Remember this?

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.