Impressions from game

JMM

3 hours ago, NoSaint said:

we’ve played nickel more than 90% of snaps several recent years. Some of the remaining 10% dime. 

it’s basically only been a goal line package and even then inconsistent 

we will see about this year but would be odd to ramp up with it the most depleted we’ve seen the lb unit 

Thanks. Didn't see the game. Wondered if McDermott would show that look.

3 hours ago, Dan said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SingDe00.htm

13 fumbles in 672 carries and 145 receptions. Thats is simply not a crazy high fumble per carry rate.    

Career catch % ..75.1%.   I guess all his drops were in the playoffs?   

https://fantasyindex.com/2020/06/23/factoid/running-back-fumbles#:~:text=In general%2C running backs fumbled,about every 120 handles today.

Singletary fumbles an average 3.25 times per year over his career. With an average of 168 carries per year. Meaning he fumbles well over the average of an NFL RB with the amount of carries he gets. Also averaged 4.5 drops per season with an average of 48.25 targets per year. With a 9.32% drop rate

Edited by noacls

1 hour ago, Sierra Foothills said:

The story is played?

Today was the first live football he's played since his death.

I'm not sure what rules you're going by but I think you're being a little premature.

Damar playing today was a big story for a lot of people.

I really wasn't trying to be incendiary, or anything. It's just that the story has been covered endlessly by the national media. In fact, if you go onto NFL.com/news, it's literally the only part of the game that's been covered. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, noacls said:

https://fantasyindex.com/2020/06/23/factoid/running-back-fumbles#:~:text=In general%2C running backs fumbled,about every 120 handles today.

Singletary fumbles an average 3.25 times per year over his career. With an average of 168 carries per year. Meaning he fumbles well over the average of an NFL RB with the amount of carries he gets. Also averaged 4.5 drops per season with an average of 48.25 targets per year. With a 9.32% drop rate

Hands like a seal.

• Haha (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, noacls said:

a large part of the drops was either trying to use him on screens..which we have no idea of how to actually perform a screen or on wild deep shots where he had a 5% chance of actually catching the ball.   

6 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

If Isabell can impress will the last WR spot come down to Shorter vs Shakir?

Who has more immediate value and long term value? Feels like Shorter can play more special teams coverage and blocking. Shakir can feel in on Punt returns but wouldn’t really be needed with both Harty and Isabella on the team. 

And Isabella would presumably run a lot of the same routes Shakir would be asked to run. Seems like Shakir would be expendable if Isabella makes the 53.

Shorter would be the potential replacement for Davis if the Bills and Davis part ways after this year. So longterm it would seem Shorter also has an advantage. 

I’m not sure either can be safely kept on the practice squad. 

Shakir isn’t fighting for the last WR spot. He’s making this team and it won’t be close.

And I’d pump the brakes on Shorter. He has a long way to go before he’s considered the replacement for anyone.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I'm clueless.  What's this???  

Firestick is ..well, Firestick. You can buy it just about everywhere. Unlimited TV is an app on Firestick you can purchase for $35/mo that shows ..well, EVERYTHING. 4 different feeds for every major sporting event (HD/SD, Home team broadcast, Away team broadcast.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Agree with just about all of this.

Thought Edwards on the line looked good inside.

As soon as Nelson left the game Settle had a dominant series…. Wasn’t all that impressed with Bills pass rush in the 1st QTR though. AJE was invisible.

Teams play Vanilla without scheming.  

7 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Shorter might not be fine. He might just be a JAG that does nothing and fizzles away.

Like he did in college = JAG. He looks good coming off the bus, but his game production????

6 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Van Denmark blew one block so badly at RT he is fortunate the DE let up or Barkley would be in the hospital. Ole! and right on by, didn't even slow the guy down.

Yeah, I saw that, but after reading this thread, I am like, "Did I have the wrong player?"  T

My concerns is still at WR. Gabe couldn’t get off the line on that slant play, Shakir had a few nice plays but a bad drop. Kincaid looked small to me as well, standing next to Knox he looked smaller than him and Knox is not a real big TE to begin with. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

Shakir isn’t fighting for the last WR spot. He’s making this team and it won’t be close.

And I’d pump the brakes on Shorter. He has a long way to go before he’s considered the replacement for anyone.

I just don’t feel I’ve seen much from Shakir. I’d say so far he had met my minimum expectations of what I would have expected out of him as a rookie. And for now he seems to have a very low ceiling. 

No doubt he is more nfl ready both now and compared to Shorter when both were rookies but that is to be expected. 

Shorter is a project. A guy with elite size that needs development time. 

Just find it interesting that they are picked two spots apart in the draft and yet the common viewpoint is Shorter might not make the 53 but Shakir’s spot is safe. 

Biggest knock shorter has is him not being ready now, although he could be ready now for a large role on special teams perhaps.

Just not sure you can save a guy like him on the practice squad.

12 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Jesus, don't get so triggered. "The incident" has utterly dominated everything the national media has said about the Bills since it happened. I was watching "Inside Training Camp" the other day, and it was the only thing reported about the Bills camp. "Damar Hamlin walked out onto the field... now onto the Jets..." And yeah, it's his first game back. They may now start talking about Damar Hamlin, the player. 

And in my opinion, it does him a disservice to continually define him by that extremely rare occurrence.

You asked the question. Assuming it wasn’t rhetorical, I’ll answer again. YOU can stop whenever you want. You don’t need permission. 

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Firestick is ..well, Firestick. You can buy it just about everywhere. Unlimited TV is an app on Firestick you can purchase for $35/mo that shows ..well, EVERYTHING. 4 different feeds for every major sporting event (HD/SD, Home team broadcast, Away team broadcast.

Thanks for the info!  This is new to me.   

I have a Firestick.  So if purchase Unlimited TV, I can register it in Buffalo and see live Buffalo TV?  Including all Bills games?   No need for Sunday Ticket?

Great stuff if I'm understanding it right.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Van Denmark blew one block so badly at RT he is fortunate the DE let up or Barkley would be in the hospital. Ole! and right on by, didn't even slow the guy down.

The DE grabbed his facemask and pulled him down.  Should have been called.

4 hours ago, Slippery Rubber Mats said:

Only one of you can be right, WHO WILL IT BE

If we're talking about the same play (starting at 14:27 of 2nd quarter), I'm right.  I took a video of it and have a screen cap but they're larger than 200KB. :rolleyes:

Ooops, my bad.  I thought he said "LT" but he said "RT."  I didn't see that play. 

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1

Vandemark looked way better at LT than RT. His pass set isn’t near as good but to make it he has to be more versatile so I see why they’re working him there. He def got a thumbs up from me 

I also don’t think you can glean much from the starting offense as they kept it incredibly basic. Kindcaid was actually working the traditional Y spot( I assume to get blocking on tape for him) and Knox was working the F spot in 12 packages. I would suspect that would be the opposite in the regular season. 

Edited by gonzo1105
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

I’ll borrow from Sal:

Arrow up:

Torrence

Isabella 

Mims 

Dane Jackson 

Basham

Dorian Williams - you can see the talent 

Broeker - backup IOL right now 

Arrow down:

Kyle Allen 

Shakir - just can’t drop any easy ones the bar is too high in that WR room 

Shorter - not noticeable and was outplayed by Johnson and Ateman

Spector - just meh 

Glad you picked up on Broeker, thought he looked solid, albeit vs. 3rd string guys. I would only add Shane Ray, he looked quick and explosive.

16 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

This is a really really good football team that is going to be absolute hell to play against. 

That Dline against a mediocre at best Jets oline is going to have Aaron getting happy feet by the 3rd quarter.

The WR and RB rooms clearly have the most talent since Josh has been here. They can even run the ball from traditional formations. 

They have some very tough decisions to make the toughest being how to break the news to Josh that Kyle should be in the CFL. 

Maybe he will be out of the game by the 3rd quarter.

16 hours ago, TFBillsfan said:

Nothing against Dane, but I believe he played 5 snaps so that’s a small sample size to say up or down. If you want to say it’s up and basing it on for starting and making the gift interception 

I didn't watch the game.  But, if Dane played only 5 snaps it would suggest he is CB2 AND there is a large gap between him and Elam.  Enough of a gap the Bills don't want to risk Dane getting hurt because there is a big drop off to Elam.

I am good with Dane if he is the better starter.  My concern is first round whiff (and a trade up) AND that McD has not been able to coach him up.

12 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

When the Oline looked bad it wasn’t even the primary backups in. Bills starters got like 10 plays then guys like Q-Berry and Shell, Torrence/Bates didn’t play much at all. The guys getting shellacked were Alec Anderson, Ike Boettger(who had fallen off a cliff) , Gouriage etc. 

I myself did not get to watch the game. So I come here and pour through the threads to get a feel for how the game olayed out. Who looked good / bad, etc...

I've read the Oline was horrible, the Oline did wel, Oline backups are horrid...

When I got to your post it brought everything into focus regarding OL situation for this game

you deserve image.png.a65ad36ac72a0eb4fb88ae0b7c984a10.png

Edited by ddaryl

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Dodson starts without question.  But you will see a lot of looks where he is out and Rapp comes in as a 6th DB with Milano as the one LB.

Agree but also still think what I said.  Dodson is a liability. 

Edited by Matt_In_NH

9 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Jamison Crowder, Cole Beasley, David Sills V, Tommy Sweeney, Matt Breida, and Isaiah Hodgins all had targets. Oh wait, I’m looking at the wrong game recap…

The Bills are to the Giants, what the Panthers are to the Bills...  that is funny, but it goes to show Coaches do like to go with whom they know

16 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Regarding the secondary:

When do we get to stop talking about the heroic return of Damar Hamlin?

Everytime Hamlin makes a splashy play or gets a game mention for performance you can bet the farm there will be a reference to that fateful day.

Now imagine if Hamlin were to have an all pro season... you can bet it would ad naseum...

regardless, its a powerful story so we know they are going to play those cards every opportunity they get. So to the answer the question.... probably never.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, HappyCat said:

I was thinking the same.

If we lost Josh for any significant game time in season I'm sure they would possibly sign a better qb to salvage the year and post season run.  If season is already lost then it doesn't really matter who is playing other than to get them more exp to be better players going forward.

Edited by AuntieEm
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

It wasn’t aired anywhere down here so listened to a bit in the 2nd half on Sirius.  Kyle Allen sounded terrible from what you guys are telling me.

I honestly don’t have a problem with Barkley as our primary backup.  We’ve been fortunate in the past with Trubisky and so on.  

I know it’s always possible, but Allen has been incredibly durable.  I know he was out for a few games in 2018, but he really has improved escaping, and even sliding more.  After today, my guess is McBeane are sitting him down and telling him no mistakes moving forward.

Barkley was Josh's primary backup longer than anyone.  I don't know what he did, in an actual game, that made people lose confidence in him.  I always thought he was a middle of the pack (or maybe a little lower) backup 

26 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Everytime Hamlin makes a splashy play or gets a game mention for performance you can bet the farm there will be a reference to that fateful day.

Now imagine if Hamlin were to have an all pro season... you can bet it would ad naseum...

regardless, its a powerful story so we know they are going to play those cards every opportunity they get. So to the answer the question.... probably never.

Imagine we make it to Super Bowl media week. The whole country would be rooting for us. 

The “Damar Hamlin” Super Bowl. The other NFL fan bases would scream it was rigged haha. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.