Impressions from game

JMM

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

People need to stop freaking out about the back up offensive line

When a player gets injured, you don’t put in the whole second string

Hey was working up to a good irrational rant, why you gotta ruin like that? 😁

• Haha (+1) 1

Dorian Williams looks like he can play. He’s really quick and is physical. He’s definitely an OLB that will contribute immediately. Cook is explosive and will be one of the keys to making the offense multidimensional. Murray will be a good complimentary back and be a great as a short yardage option. Basham will be a tough guy to deal with when  Miller and Floyd are on the field. He looks highly motivated. On the other side of the ledger, Allen can’t be #2. He’s just not experienced or confident enough for our team. Barkley knows this offense and is a good backup. Shakir must clean up the drops because he can be a tremendous asset as our slot receiver. I like Sean as the DC. We will be more aggressive for sure.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Augie said:

I’m all for the speed upgrade, but if I have Singletary I just keep doing what he does well, making people miss in small spaces and happily accept his career 4.7 ypc. 

He had a crazy high fumble per carry rate. And he would have big time drops in playoff games in passing game

3 hours ago, Rich Stadium Original said:

Purely a gut feeling..will have to go back and look at the stats again, but..

Thought Cook looked good..even aside from the TD hit the holes well in his limited action.

Vance more than held his own at guard.

Allen has two weeks to get in sync if he wants to be QB2

Looks like they are pretty confident in THAT rookie TE if they hardly played him

Unimpressed with starting defensive line. Weak again against the run, and only pass rush was generated by blitzing. 

I don't think Allen #2 will get 2 weeks.  Something is up with him.  He played like a raw rookie!

4 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Tim Settle looked GOOD, been hearing that all camp.

Settle got completely handled by Nelson 1-on-1 in the 1st quarter which freed up the rest of the Colts starting OL. As soon as Nelson exited the Bills DL poured through the Colts like they were a sieve. He's that important.

Sad to see but Boettger is done. Doyle with one leg was more effective blocking. He was a JAG to begin with but has lost a significant something.

The big'uns at receiver weren't getting separation in the first half, and Wrong Allen was throwing to them anyway. Shavers, Johnson and 8-man did have moments later with Barkley.

Don't think Isabella is the answer at KR, but Evans could be, esp if Harty is going to handle punts.

"3-car" Gouraige seemed to show well at LT, as did Van Denmark although he seemed to struggle some at RT.

Saw more out of Dorian Williams today than Bernard his first preseason - lucky fumble return notwithstanding.

Didn't see any down-roster CB's looking very good which, usually, one or two do for the Bills in preseason.

Could it be that all the running backs looked better that previous years because the OL in general looked better in run-blocking?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

People need to stop freaking out about the back up offensive line

When a player gets injured, you don’t put in the whole second string

When the Oline looked bad it wasn’t even the primary backups in. Bills starters got like 10 plays then guys like Q-Berry and Shell, Torrence/Bates didn’t play much at all. The guys getting shellacked were Alec Anderson, Ike Boettger(who had fallen off a cliff) , Gouriage etc. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, In Summary said:

Asking: Did the Bills play any three LB defense? Any reason to think that if they did/do in the regular season, it's not Milano, Williams  and whoever starts at MLB?

we’ve played nickel more than 90% of snaps several recent years. Some of the remaining 10% dime. 

it’s basically only been a goal line package and even then inconsistent 

we will see about this year but would be odd to ramp up with it the most depleted we’ve seen the lb unit 

2 hours ago, zow2 said:

I agree.  I liked Singletary.  But Cook has some great potential.  My problem last season is that when some defender scraped a fingernail on Cook he went down.  He’d go down easily when breathed on.  He’s gonna have to break some arm tackles occasionally. 

impressive to be near 6 ypc behind a mediocre line and getting carries in bad weather when you are that delicate 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

Kyle Allen is so bad that it makes me upset that we didn’t pursue a better backup option. Maybe there was literally no one else available? I haven’t checked.

Absolutely anyone has to be better than what he has shown throughout camp and in this game.

If Allen goes down for ANY amount of time - even one game - I find little optimism for a route for us to produce a win.

Bills invested money elsewhere. Apparently Beane couldn't, or wouldn't, spend much on a backperiod.

Josh has been durable and hopefully we dont see Kyle or Barkley out there. I don't know that either could win a regular season game, much less keep the team afloat if Josh is out for an extended period.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.