Impressions from game

JMM

Was too beat to get to 2nd watch/2nd half impressions last night so:

Ankou was still having his way.

Van Demark was getting beat by the same power-to-speed move at RT all night, that needs coached up.

Anderson can be the next Bates. Has G/C flex and looked strong, got good push.

Jonathan doesn't look nearly as good as last preseason, not showing the bend he was then.

Mims wasn't as impressive as on first watch. Seemed to get barely what was available most runs. Evans was much better at getting a little extra.

Zayne was about the only DB that stacked positive plays. Ingram with that 4th down tackle and then a whiff for 20 yds of RAC, for instance.

There's a lot of big receivers vying for #8.

The down-roster TEs whiffed a lot of blocks.

Taken in it's entirety, what KAllen showed was high variance. Some wonderful throws, some inexplicable decisions. It wasn't as bad in an overall context because those 4-5 wtf plays are what sticks with you. He can execute NFL plays and NFL throws, when the decision-making is right.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

think Ankou has any chance to make the 53? thought he looked good in spot duty last year, toughest position to crack the 53 IMO.  if he manages it, its well earned!

After watching the 2nd half, he was as dominant as in the first half or more so. On one play he pushed French at guard back farther and faster than anyone has pushed the French at guard since the Panzerwaffe in 1940. I have him ahead of Settle, but Settle's contract has $5.1M dead cap if he's released. It's gonna be tough.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

The moral of the story isn't that Kyle Allen played well... it's that you (@White Linen) were expecting him to look worse.

The story is that the evaluation of him was wrong,  IMO. Yes, I expected worse and there was more positive than negative. 

• Disagree 2

I'm watching the replay and up to 2:55  in the second quarter.  10-0.  The Bills have so much more talent than the Colts.  They look poised and amped.  I remember Marv's teams going 0-6 in preseason and going to the SB.  But this looks pretty damn impressive.

Edited by redtail hawk

On 8/13/2023 at 11:29 AM, HiMark said:

Nelson is probably the best g in the league, so good for Timmy to get to test against him.

Probably also a little revenge. If I remember correctly, Settle launched Nelson backwards during our preseason game against them last year. Had me hopeful he was going to be a real force. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just watched the Colts game....Allen wasn't as bad as some said. Shavers had 3 drops and Shakir 1. This WR room must clean up the drops and win contested balls.  I saw enough from Cook on that td run that tells me he won't be Motor crashing into the line.  Murray played well with limited touches. OL still a work in progress. Ankou plays hard. Williams has + instincts but will need work. Sherfield & Harty seemed invisible. 

22 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Just watched the Colts game....Allen wasn't as bad as some said. Shavers had 3 drops and Shakir 1. This WR room must clean up the drops and win contested balls.  I saw enough from Cook on that td run that tells me he won't be Motor crashing into the line.  Murray played well with limited touches. OL still a work in progress. Ankou plays hard. Williams has + instincts but will need work. Sherfield & Harty seemed invisible. 

Pick 6 was inexcusable imo.  Can't be having decisions like that when you're under the gun. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.