Do the Kansas City Chiefs deserve a bye week ?

HOUSE

They should be made to play this week in an exhibition against a team made up of All-Pro players that didn't make the playoffs.  The Almost Pro Bowl. As incentive to play to win, if they lose then certain handicaps would be implemented the next week.   Mahomes would have to play with his right arm tied behind his back for the first two offensive series, and KC would be given the choice of Andy Reid being blindfolded, or Nate Hackett being the coach, for the 1st Q

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, sunshynman said:

There was likely a 50/50 chance of them getting it with Buffalo losing to the Bengals. But it sucks something awful that they the Bills and Bengals were not given the chance to finish the game. That was the only true fair solution. But it would have cost the NFL too much to push the games around. It is sad!

And F no they don't deserve it. Although they did their part by winning their last 2 games. But to get it basically by default sucks balls.

Ya and their last 3 gms were against 3 of the worse teams in the game and 2 of em went to the wire.

It's huge because they avoid playing both  Cincy and Buf but we'll see how things play out next weekend 

• Like (+1) 1

Like it or not, they won another game more than the Bills.  They deserve the #1 and the bye.  Everyone wants to assume the Bills would have beat Cincinnati, there’s no guarantee of that at all.  Does it suck to not have a chance to prove it? Yep.  Could the Bills have eliminated all the question by just not choking in a couple of games this year? Yep.   There’s no reason KC should be stripped of their accomplishments because of a situation out of their hands.  They did what they needed to do.  

The Bills didn’t get it done, it was a crap situation, but they didn’t take out 14 teams, you can’t assume something would or would not have happened had they played the game.  Arguably it could/should have been deemed a forfeit because it was the Bills who refused to go back on the field.  The Bengals could have destroyed the Bills and taken the #1 seed, instead they got stuck with the 3.  How about their side of it?  Both teams did what was right from the human aspect, but it comes with a price when you look at the game side of things.   The situation is what it is, KC won the #1 and the 1 gets the bye. 

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

The whole situation is rectified with KC Playing this week....it was so simple

Pardon the question if you’ve answered this already, I haven’t read the entire thread.  How would you have rectified the situation?  Add another afc playoff team this season?  

That’s the only way to do it, and I agree, that is a simple solution.  But then the nfc wildcard eligible teams would cry about not having an extra playoff spot.  People mad no matter what.

The ONLY FAIR scenario, imo, would’ve been playing week 18 as planned, push the playoffs back a week, bills @ bengals played instead.  Eliminate the extra week.  But then the NFL loses $….. and that wasn’t going to happen. 

It’s a done deal. Move on.  

It sucks but yes they get it because they finished all of their games and won more than we have.  The NFL could have just went with the rules in the book and used win %.  Then we would be playing them in Arrowhead if we make it that far.  They werent going to move all the playoff games to continue the Bengals game.  I dont even think anyone even wanted to play it.  They werent going to add teams to the playoffs to come up with some way to cancel the one seed bye.  They did the fairest thing they could. Just have to deal with it and move on.

• Like (+1) 1

The Chiefs have at least as strong a claim to the #1 seed as the Bills or Bengals.  They won more games than either of those teams, and it's not their fault that the Monday night game didn't get played.  A week ago, everybody was saying that the outcome of a football game wasn't all that important.  Okay, fine.  So let's stick with that and not get hung up on a good-enough resolution to a problem that had no perfect solution.

5 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Like it or not, they won another game more than the Bills.  They deserve the #1 and the bye.  Everyone wants to assume the Bills would have beat Cincinnati, there’s no guarantee of that at all.  Does it suck to not have a chance to prove it? Yep.  Could the Bills have eliminated all the question by just not choking in a couple of games this year? Yep.   There’s no reason KC should be stripped of their accomplishments because of a situation out of their hands.  They did what they needed to do.  

The Bills didn’t get it done, it was a crap situation, but they didn’t take out 14 teams, you can’t assume something would or would not have happened had they played the game.  Arguably it could/should have been deemed a forfeit because it was the Bills who refused to go back on the field.  The Bengals could have destroyed the Bills and taken the #1 seed, instead they got stuck with the 3.  How about their side of it?  Both teams did what was right from the human aspect, but it comes with a price when you look at the game side of things.   The situation is what it is, KC won the #1 and the 1 gets the bye. 

I can’t agree with this. The game was canceled by the NFL and not rescheduled by the NFL. There’s kind of an undercurrent here of “but it was canceled because your guy was hurt.” So if he’d been hurt on a play in which the Bengals player was penalized the result should have been different? If the game had been canceled because Cincy had a rare earthquake would that alter people’s opinion? To me, canceled is canceled, whatever the reason. I still thin a coin flip between the teams with an equal number of losses was the only fair way to determine the seeds. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I can’t agree with this. The game was canceled by the NFL and not rescheduled by the NFL. There’s kind of an undercurrent here of “but it was canceled because your guy was hurt.” So if he’d been hurt on a play in which the Bengals player was penalized the result should have been different? If the game had been canceled because Cincy had a rare earthquake would that alter people’s opinion? To me, canceled is canceled, whatever the reason. I still thin a coin flip between the teams with an equal number of losses was the only fair way to determine the seeds. 

I'm not sure...

Mc Dermott asked players in lockeroom if they wanted to resume the game.

They said no.

It is 100% understandable, still they said no

I think this is after the NFL got the info, decided to cancel the game

( = wasn't anymore option for the NFL anyways)

• Like (+1) 1

Another way to look at it is the Chiefs lost three games to teams with a combined record of 29-19-1 (.604).  Add the Bengals/Bills game (one win and one loss), and it goes to .588. 

The Bills lost three games to teams with a combined record of 29-22. (.569).

Chiefs' three losses were by a combined 10 points; Bills' three were by a combined 8 points.  That's negligible.

Both teams had two losses to playoff teams.  The Chiefs clearly had the worst loss (Indy), but also played better playoff teams (Buffalo and Cincinnati as opposed to Minnesota and Miami).

For all the talk about their cake schedule (and it was pretty easy down the stretch), the Chiefs have six wins over five playoff teams; the Bills have three wins over three playoff teams.  Chiefs beat the 49ers, Chargers twice, Jaguars, Bucs, and Seahawks, Bills beat the Chiefs, Ravens, and Dolphins.  Admittedly, things could have shaken out differently had yesterday's games gone differently, but this is a pretty stark separation.

Again... win any one of those three close games, and we're not talking about this.

Also... I will take the neutral-site championship game over a coin flip for HFA any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Edited by BRH
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I completely disagree with this, the Bills wouldn’t go back on the field.  It should have been deemed a forfeit.   The NFL “cancelled” it to not make the world’s head explode over the situation.  The fair thing to do was to say, “sorry, you wouldn’t play, you lose.”.  The NFL knew they couldn’t do that in today’s super sensitive climate, so they didn’t.  The NFL would at very least, have run the game the next day, given the choice.  It’s not like they could say, hey there’s too much snow there, let’s send you guys to another site.   I will guarantee you, if Hamlin got to the hospital and was in the condition he’s in right now, the game would have been back on the next night.   The Bills wouldn’t play, it was on them, the Bengals went along with it, to accommodate them.  All in all, the Bills should have been handed a loss and the Bengals awarded the win.  

It’s like an MMA fighter breaking their leg in the match, it’s a freak thing, but they lose because they can’t continue.  If the opponent caused it, by doing something against the rules, the opponent is disqualified.   In this case the Bills were injured and unable/unwilling to go further, sorry, you lose. 

In my opinion, NFL tried to make it as fair as they could without being insensitive to the situation.  It sucks for the Bills and Bengals who lost opportunity, but the reality is this, the Bills should have been handed the loss, the Bengals the win and KC would have still had the best record and taken the #1.  The Bills are getting a break by having the neutral field option put out there, though had they taken the loss they could have just bagged it against the Pats and basically got their bye week in.  They would have had the #3 and gotten to deal with the Ravens, who I would argue are the better match-up for them anyway vs a divisional opponent. 

I digress.  I’m happy Damar is doing as well as one could hope and sincerely hope he is able to at least get back to having the option to play again.  Worst case he at least gets back to a “normal” life and can make the world better through his platform, he seems like a great person with a bright future.    Football is merely a game, an entertainment business, we make it far bigger than it is.  The life of a good young man was almost lost for it, we should all be rallied around him and family and the game is secondary.  I know it’s so easy to lose sight of it, especially in times where we have entirely too much information at our finger tips.  I don’t mean to belabor the point, but I feel like we are tied up in a feeling of “unfair” treatment , when life itself is not fair and the thing we are worried about is actually meaningless.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Manther said:

Why do you think defaulting to whoever has the 1st seed at the moment is wrong?  It's very tough, there is no right answer.

Because it automatically tells the Bills and Bengals that they do not get the same opportunity as the other AFC Teams to improve their playoff position.

It also tells future teams not to do what is good for the players bc the NFL won't go out of their way to make it right and will disadvantage you as a result.

Edited by What a Tuel

While it’s not a perfect solution - and there wasn’t one due to time constraints … I don’t think the league should have altered the entire playoff schedule .. it’s the most fair. The Bills were reportedly ( and understandably) not going to continue the game - even if they had to forfeit. Now , that would have been some pretty poor optics for the league if they went that route. KC won their last two games. We don’t know if the Bills would have , but there’s no guarantee they would have defeated CIN that night. The 2 seed and neutral AFC title game if they should happen to play KC seems fair to me. The Bills don’t get a bye, but they also played 1 less game. Fair enough 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Now that all the other games have been played and the NFL has done what it has done the seeds are 1. Chiefs, 2. Bills and 3. Cinci.    If they played the game the the Bills won, it would be 1. Bills, 2. Chiefs and 3. Cinci.   If they played the game the the Bills lost, it would be 1. Chiefs, 2. Cinci and 3. Bills.    I understand why people are questioning things, But the Bills would have been 1 or 3 based on the outcome of that game, the way the NFL handled it they get the 2 which would not be an option at all if the game was played.   Did the Chiefs benefit, yes they did...the bye week is something that can only go to one team, something had to happen.  I think there would be a lot more questing if they gave that to the Bills and even though it would benefit my team, I am ok with what they did do.

This is sour grapes.

If the Bills were in the same position that the Chiefs are in, everyone here would be defending it.

If people want to be pissed off, be pissed off about the loss to the Jets.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

I think it’s fair. KC did what they needed to do. It’s not their fault we didn’t finish our game. 

With that said, we did kinda get a bye week Bengals week(offense played one drive, defense played a drive and a half), and now it’s guaranteed we don’t have to go to arrowhead. 

It’s not perfect, but there’s no guarantee we won that game against Cinci. They were playing hot, and they got the short end of the deal as well. Is what it is. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

4 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

If the chiefs manage to win it all there will be a major ✳️

No there won't. The Chiefs are considered a power house team because of Mahomes in just about every NFL city. They are top 3 in just about every single power ranking. They are as deserving of winning the SB as Buffalo, Cincinnati, or Philly. 

If the Bills aren't good enough to beat the Chiefs at a neutral field, or Miami/Cincinnati at home, then they aren't good enough to win the whole thing. 

It is that simple for me. 

• Like (+1) 1

Buffalo essentially had a bye week by not playing over 3 and a half quarters of football.

Yes, we had a devastating injury but you're kidding yourself if you think other serious injuries couldn't have occurred with the time remaining.

How would you feel if in the third quarter of that game Morse gets concussed again? Or Diggs gets a high ankle sprain? Or Milano gets hurt? It could have happened.

Accept it and be glad we don't go to Arrowhead this post season. Life isn't fair. Move on.

Edited by Nephilim17

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

This is sour grapes.

If the Bills were in the same position that the Chiefs are in, everyone here would be defending it.

If people want to be pissed off, be pissed off about the loss to the Jets.

I agree with everything, except I choose to be pissed off about the loss to the Vikings, mostly because I sat through it in person and it kind of ruined my birthday weekend.

4 hours ago, sunshynman said:

There was likely a 50/50 chance of them getting it with Buffalo losing to the Bengals. But it sucks something awful that they the Bills and Bengals were not given the chance to finish the game. That was the only true fair solution. But it would have cost the NFL too much to push the games around. It is sad!

And F no they don't deserve it. Although they did their part by winning their last 2 games. But to get it basically by default sucks balls.

They lost to both teams already this year. They will lose to either one again if they face them. Esepcially with Bills at a neutral site.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, HOUSE said:

I will take it to my grave, the Chiefs should be playing this weekend same as the Bills.

The Chiefs won the #1 seed while Buffalo had no chance

Free bye week on a technicality 

A situation like this was ALWAYS going to have positive and negative consequences, depending on who you are and what your perspective is.

No way around that.

There was no "perfect" resolution to this incident.

Move forward!

4 hours ago, HOUSE said:

The #1 seed is not determined by win percentage 

How would you separate "best record" from "winning percentage"? The team with the best record also has the highest winning percentage.

Edited by Punch
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.