Diggs traded to Texans for picks

All kidding aside, once a team has their franchise QB, they need to spend money on an offensive line to protect him, and let everyone else be younger and cheaper. The mistake the Bills made was going ‘all in’ after 13 seconds thinking they were right there, and maybe they were, but it didn’t work out. So guys like Von, Diggs and Knox have to go, and probably should never been signed or extended in the first place. Starting today, this is NOW Josh Allen’s team. Period! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Beast said:

No, actually it is looking very goood.

Diggs and his sulking, non-productive ways are out of the locker room. The Bills went on a 5 game winning streak to win the division title in spite of Diggs lack of production.

Diggs had 37 catches for 349 yards and 1 TD in the last 8 games of the regular season, while being on the field for 80 plus percent of the offensive snaps.

Bye, Stefon. Those stats and better can be replaced quite easily, minus the attitude.

It's really not.

It'll likely look better as we move towards the season.

But this was a huge hit, particularly for this year's team and future cap status.

And to remind you, Diggs was 6th in the league in receptions, 13th in yards, 10th in first downs and tied for 7th in TDs last year. It's not fair to only look at his worst section of the season and pretend they sum up his year. Not even close. That production absolutely can NOT "be replaced quite easily."

• Disagree 1

18 minutes ago, Logic said:

Not sure if this has been posted yet, as I have no desire to wade through 56 pages of hand wringing, but...

Known Bills supporter and Allen defender Dave Portnoy (I say with tongue firmly in cheek) has this to say:

Imagine your boss going out of his way to tell the world that you are a moron. haha. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Da Fug?!?!

Which skill? Breaking through the LOS on a carry and averaging over a yard less than Cooke while looking patheticly slow in comparison?

How about blocking?   How about running pass routes?   NFL RBs are expected to do both well if they want to be starters.   My guess is that Cook took awhile to master those skills well enough.

Man it sucks not being able to get a thing for 2024. Wont notice the extra cap space until 2025 and wont get any picks until 2025. I hope we trade for Tee Higgins. Offer him a contract that goes into effect 2025. And still just a WR

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

A 2025 2nd round pick! 

Beane got had.

This is all to placate McD's fragile ego. 

This is really stupid move for this year.

Only way Beane recovers from this is to mortgage multiple picks to move up and get one of the top 3 WR. 

Sad sad day when you chose the loser HC over the guy that was the heart and soul of the team for years. 

You keep repeating this terrible take. 

Diggs is not, and never was ,the heart and soul of anything.  He wanted out.  He is a selfish problem child.  

McDermott is worth far more to the Bills and has done more to  establish the Bills as a legitimate powerhouse than Diggs has.   

I wish we got more in return.  It says a lot about how Diggs is perceived in the NFL.  He is not a deep threat and he disappeared last season. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Anyone that grades a pick an 'A' where one team gives up a top 7 player at their position, $30M in cap space and two day 3 picks to receive a future 2nd round pick in compensation is delusional. For that to be an A, you'd have to be talking a first round pick or multiple early day 2 picks and a prospect with no other compensation going back the other way.

😂😂 Delusional is thinking Diggs is worth anything close to what you're taking about

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, PastaJoe said:

But many of those TDs to others were possible in part because Diggs drew the top cover guys to him.

We'll be drafting a top WR for sure 100%. Just a matter of who and where.

58 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I don’t hate the trade, and I think Beane did a brilliant job turning us into contenders. However, I’m starting to see Beane and McD display some of the traits that ended Beane’s tenure in Carolina. Beane is team building the same way he did in Carolina, and it didn’t end great. I worry he’s repeating the same mistakes. 

Beane was not the GM in Carolina so I am not sure what the comparison is.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Anybody else remember how Diggs dropped a perfect bomb from Allen in the 4th quarter against KC, and then on the most crucial play of the game Allen ignored his #1 receiver who was open underneath to try and get the ball to Shakir?

Yeah...all was not peaches and cream between Josh and Diggs...

Onward and upward!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4

1 minute ago, Mango said:

Imagine your boss going out of his way to tell the world that you are a moron. haha. 

I loved that.

Turns out the writer was known moron Nicky Smokes (Dolphins fan, agitator, immature goofball). Portnoy proceeded to double down on the "moron" comment once he realized it, too. 

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think people get confused with the dead cap number. It isn't in addition to, it is instead of. Sure the dead cap number is important, but the more important number is the delta. Generally when you hear that "teams have an out" it is that the delta moves from a cap negative to a cap positive. 

Because Diggs was restructured it lowered his base salary and increased his bonus money. His bonus money stays with the Bills (dead cap) and the receiving team is only on the hook for his salary. BUT!!!! His salary only counts towards the cap if he is on the roster. So if Houston doesn't want Diggs they can move on and clear his cap number fully at any time. 

The numbers work out as: 

- 2024 Diggs on the Bills: ~$28M
- 2024 Diggs off the Bills: ~$31M
- 2024 delta Bills Salary Cap: -$3M

- 2025 delta Bills Salary Cap: +$25-30M-ish

- 2024 Diggs on Houston Texans: ~$19M
- 2025 Houston cuts Diggs : +$18.5M  (no dead money)

Diggs Spotrac Breakdown
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/stefon-diggs-16872/

Bills Spotrac Breakdown 2024

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

Bills Spotrac Breakdown 2025
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2025/

Financially this worked out great for Buffalo. They can trade for Higgins and extend them if they chose to 

• Like (+1) 3

I'm surprised by how binary this conversation is.  Most folks are either applauding the move or criticizing it.  Pro or Con.

I'm ambivalent. 

I don't like the cap ramifications.  And I want Josh to have better weapons this year than last, not worse.  With both Gabe and Diggs departing - whatever their shortcomings - we've lost a lot of receptions & yards.  I'm sure Beane has a plan to replace the lost production with Samuels being part of that plan but we can't see the whole plan yet which makes me wonder how solid it is.  

On the other hand, Diggs had attitude problems, wasn't much of a deep threat anymore, didn't thrive under Brady, and, given his age, the clock was ticking on his Buffalo career anyway.  

Neither happy nor sad, I'm just curious.  What's Beane going to do with limited resources to get Josh the targets he deserves?  

• Like (+1) 6

3 minutes ago, babulator said:

I saw another discussion where they said who tf cares about dead cap this year, because there's no one left to sign. Better to clear the books now and have an extra 25m next year to play with, after we draft one of the stud WR's this year.

Interesting thought. I’m not thinking this is 100% true on its face.  The idea can be extended to the idea that Beane is done shopping for FA’s.  He likely does not see any more crumbs in the cookie jar that he wants to pursue this year. He will hopefully have a good young receiver next year on the roster and money to move in FA with this move. 

I really think Diggs best days are behind him.  This was a good move to save a train wreck. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

I don't mind Diggs going - it struck me he had rapidly become a problem in the locker room rather than someone who could be relied upon. But only a 2nd round pick in 2025 for him. A very poor return which does suggest a level of desperation.

you honestly thought someone was gonna toss a 1st round pick for a 31 year old WR who was showing legit signs of decline?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Man it sucks not being able to get a thing for 2024. Wont notice the extra cap space until 2025 and wont get any picks until 2025. I hope we trade for Tee Higgins. Offer him a contract that goes into effect 2025. And still just a WR

What we are getting in 2024 is probably a top 5 pick after we trade this and next year's firsts plus one of next year's seconds.

The trade provided that additional capital needed to move up now.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

It's really not.

It'll likely look better as we move towards the season.

But this was a huge hit, particularly for this year's team and future cap status.

And to remind you, Diggs was 6th in the league in receptions, 13th in yards, 10th in first downs and tied for 7th in TDs last year. It's not fair to only look at his worst section of the season and pretend they sum up his year. Not even close. That production absolutely can NOT "be replaced quite easily."

It was the majority of his season.  totally fair.  he was in free fall---time to cut him loose 

1 minute ago, babulator said:

We'll be drafting a top WR for sure 100%. Just a matter of who and where.

That’s a stretch to think a rookie they can realistically pick will come in and immediately be impactful enough to garner similar coverage.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, SoTier said:

They take a WR in the 2nd.

In that (awful, in my opinion) scenario, I'd hope they'd trade up to 29-31 to leapfrog the Chiefs, who are going to be the beginning of the 2nd run on WRs. 

1 hour ago, appoo said:

All great NFL WRs are completely bonkers and head cases.  Love Diggs he was tremendous for this franchise 

I don’t like grouping and judging people like that. SOME of the WR’s are head cases, and it’s probably a good bit higher percentage than other positions. BUT, I’m sure there some Larry Fitzgerald types in the league who should not be lumped in with the head cases. 

1 minute ago, hondo in seattle said:

I'm surprised by how binary this conversation is.  Most folks are either applauding the move or criticizing it.  Pro or Con.

I'm ambivalent. 

I don't like the cap ramifications.  And I want Josh to have better weapons this year than last, not worse.  With both Gabe and Diggs departing - whatever their shortcomings - we've lost a lot of receptions & yards.  I'm sure Beane has a plan to replace the lost production with Samuels being part of that plan but we can't see the whole plan yet which makes me wonder how solid it is.  

On the other hand, Diggs had attitude problems, wasn't much of a deep threat anymore, didn't thrive under Brady, and, given his age, the clock was ticking on his Buffalo career anyway.  

Neither happy nor sad, I'm just curious.  What's Beane going to do with limited resources to get Josh the targets he deserves?  

we lose $3M is cap space this season, plus Diggs...gain a lot next season

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Sweats said:

I'm just saying relax, brother.

I see great things coming from this franchise this year.

I am really frustrated, as most here are, I’m sick of seeing our luck and then we hit the lottery finally getting a generational talent at QB (sorry Jeff Tuel) and we seem not to be able to give him what he could have won with the last few years. 

Drink a Guinness for you with a shot of  Jameson and let’s be back to Bills Brothers!

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, appoo said:

you honestly thought someone was gonna toss a 1st round pick for a 31 year old WR who was showing legit signs of decline?

Not a first, but maybe two picks rather than one. However, I'll freely admit I have no idea how the calculations work for picks.

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

The media loves to praise teams on the way up and bash those on the way up.

Texans are ascending

Bills look at best from the outside to be treading water or in decline. We know the players that Beane got rid of were all replaceable. But when you lose both safeties, your center, and your #1 WR it looks really bad. 

The trade sucks. 

The media knows McDermott is a joke too. They know he cost us a SuperBowl. They know he can't beat Reid in the playoffs. They love Ryans right now. 

The only thing that reverses the narrative is winning the SuperBowl. Until then all we are is a team wasting a HOF QB, just like the Chargers with Rivers, the Dolphins with Marino, and Elway with Reeves. 

Ethan I can’t argue with you. They must have something going on cause they didn’t need to do this and leave a hole the size of an aircraft career at WR now. 

Just now, hondo in seattle said:

I'm ambivalent. 

I'm a bit more cautious about this short term because for the Bills to get better they need to replace Diggs with someone who can win downfield - no guarantee. I'm very happy long term because of how much cap this frees up. Allen is gonna be in his prime until he's like 35 at least. They have a very long window, and the way it worked with Diggs and Von they have a ton of flexibility to create a great roster around Josh

• Like (+1) 2