Who else is in the let’s get Gabe Davis signed to an extension camp?

John from Riverside

36 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Know who else he’d love? Mike evans plus a highly drafted rookie, plus cap space leftover.

Mike Evans is not a FA and the Bucs are looking to extend him. How many highly drafted receivers do you have bring in to get one as productive as Gabe? So far we haven’t gotten one that I can remember.You’re going to have to bite the bullet and spend on a FA. Any one year deal is bringing in an injury riddled player his previous team gave up on or a malcontent. Why are you so concerned with preserving cap space at the expense putting homegrown quality on the field. To me this guy raises his game in the postseason when it matters most and this team is all about getting to a SB.

7 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

Mike Evans is not a FA and the Bucs are looking to extend him. How many highly drafted receivers do you have bring in to get one as productive as Gabe? So far we haven’t gotten one that I can remember.You’re going to have to bite the bullet and spend on a FA. Any one year deal is bringing in an injury riddled player his previous team gave up on or a malcontent. Why are you so concerned with preserving cap space at the expense putting homegrown quality on the field. To me this guy raises his game in the postseason when it matters most and this team is all about getting to a SB.

if you are going to argue that guys with expiring contracts but are good so their teams would like to keep them are not free agents, then I will presume you will also argue that guys that are cut candidates aren’t free agents either

and I can’t use guys that were free agents signed this year as an example of quality of players available 

which yes, would definitely limit the specific names I could point to as examples of a bridge contract. 

On 8/10/2023 at 5:42 PM, BillsFan130 said:

Let him walk.

I don’t think you can pay a WR2, 11-15 mil a year when you have Josh, diggs and Knox locked up, not too mention you just traded up to get Kincaid in the first.

Draft one in the early rounds next year and have him cost control for the next 4-5 years

Right. In a no salary cap/owner will spend whatever it takes world, sure, I'd lock him up. But every extra million spent on him is a million less to spend on the secondary (Poyer and Hyde aren't getting any younger), LB, and of course O line.

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Like (+1) 1

On 8/12/2023 at 12:27 PM, FireChans said:

Okay let me rephrase.

The time to draft a non-lottery ticket replacement for Gabe Davis was this year.

Expecting fifth round players to start on a Superbowl team is a bad strategy.

Yeah.  You'd never see the Chiefs do anything like that.  They started Marquez Valdes-Scantling.

• Eyeroll 1

12 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Would you take one drafted at #32?

Yep

3 hours ago, fergie's ire said:

Yeah.  You'd never see the Chiefs do anything like that.  They started Marquez Valdes-Scantling.

Lol I forgot they drafted him last year and he was a rookie. 

You made my point for me lmao. They signed an FA who had proven to be an NFL receiver, if not a great one to be their third or fourth target.  We drafted Shakir who couldn’t get on the field to be our WR3/4. 

Surrounding a good QB with good talent is a good thing lol

Edited by FireChans
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Right. In a no salary cap/owner will spend whatever it takes world, sure, I'd lock him up. But every extra million spent on him is a million less to spend on the secondary (Poyer and Hyde aren't getting any younger), LB, and of course O line.

Yup. It’s easy to just say we should extend him, but the reality of doing so includes the opportunity cost. For those saying we should extend him, let’s see the max contract you’d offer. 

• 1 month later...

Three weeks in and Davis is 9-159-2

Average reception is 17.2 YPC.

He’s on pace for 50 catches and 900 yards. This is the Gabe Davis we know.

He’s also the Gabe Davis that on top of his 1-35-1 this past Sunday, dropped a pass, whiffed on a block on a screen (opening play) and was the target of the INT.

No chance this guy is back next year IMO

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/17/2023 at 9:48 AM, BarleyNY said:

Yup. It’s easy to just say we should extend him, but the reality of doing so includes the opportunity cost. For those saying we should extend him, let’s see the max contract you’d offer. 

I would say extend him… but its up to Beane and his agent decide what the price should be.  But he’s a

good WR and I’m glad he’s on our team. 

But I’m a homer… Go Bills!

2 minutes ago, buffblue said:

Not to hijack this thread with criticisms of Dorsey, but what on earth was the deal with the end around called for Gabe? I think my grandmother would have a better shot at making that play work

The element of surprise?  “”They’ll never expect it!”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, buffblue said:

Not to hijack this thread with criticisms of Dorsey, but what on earth was the deal with the end around called for Gabe? I think my grandmother would have a better shot at making that play work

It was an inside counter. Reminiscent of my old wing T days. Early on it was obvious Dorsey’s game script was to try and neutralize the aggressive DL with misdirection and quick game. It didn’t work until later in the game when they really started rolling with their gap scheme run game in the 3rd Q 

• Like (+1) 2

I don't think Gabe is going to go for the home team discount so I am fine if he tests the market.

Beats overpaying.

To keep some of their premier players the Bills are going to have to let some guys walk - you can't hold on to everyone.

When I ask myself is Gabe a good WR2 yes, but I think he is also replaceable.

Just my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1

What we see from Gabe this year is what you get, solid 2B guy. Kind of like Robert woods. Great option but not worth the 12 million on the open market. Either draft someone or pick up a hungry reliable vet. That is the nature of the cap and market. Knox is still looking like a slight overpayment, but we will see. 

I like Gabe but can't see you wont find that production from someone else lets remember we have a QB guys are willing to take a 1-2 year prove it deal to stack their numbers or chase a ring.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, buffblue said:

Right it was like....how can we catch them by surprise?  I know, we'll use the receiver they'd least expect to see used on that play...the guy with the least quickness.

I mean why not just use Kincaid or Knox?

Gabe is this year’s Edmunds.  We want him to be more than he actually is.  We see glimpses that he’s capable of being next level, but he consistently is what he is.  Honestly - if you took away the 13 second game, his career would look incredibly more mediocre. 

I suspect he will get paid more by someone else and next year we will have a thread asking how he’s doing.

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Haven’t seen enough of him to say that he needs an extension

He’s catching touchdowns, but he still dropping balls

In Gabe's defense, he has 1 drop this year (last week against Washington) where knox and diggs both also had a drop in a wet game.

Gabe has been inconsistent. He’ll have one good game, then go another three games of having 1-3 receptions. As stated before, he’s a good #3 WR, but not a good #2 WR as his route running is limited and has inconsistent hands. Not having a solid #2 WR is holding the offense back. 

Has it been since Moulds/Price since the Bills had a good #1/#2 WR combo?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We have a pass heavy offense and need more than Gabe has been giving us.  

I'm getting to the let him walk camp.  He's too inconsistent and if he does start to put it together, will be too expensive. 

Focus on bringing back Floyd and Daquan.  Draft a WR early next year. 

• Agree 1

What is so frustrating about Gabe is that he is everything you want in a #2 as far as putting the work in, being a great teammate, having the skills and talent to do the job…. but he will also, without a doubt, drop crucial passes at the worst time. That includes contested balls. NFL receivers need to be able to catch contested balls. 

The drop in the end zone against Miami last year cost us that game. Other things in the game cost us too - but Gabe’s drop was one of them. That was the difference between the #1 seed and having a bye week, and having to face Cinci round 2.

14 minutes ago, Einstein said:

What is so frustrating about Gabe is that he is everything you want in a #2 as far as putting the work in, being a great teammate, having the skills and talent to do the job…. but he will also, without a doubt, drop crucial passes at the worst time. That includes contested balls. NFL receivers need to be able to catch contested balls. 

The drop in the end zone against Miami last year cost us that game. Other things in the game cost us too - but Gabe’s drop was one of them. That was the difference between the #1 seed and having a bye week, and having to face Cinci round 2.

This is how I feel too.  Josh has to be superman because Gabe isn't good enough.  I like Gabe, but I think we can do better.  I also don't think he is worth paying a high contract to. He doesn't have speed, doesn't separate except for maybe busted coverage on a super long route, he isn't good at contested balls, he isn't good at running routes. He is a decent receiver, but we need to do better.  He is just too 50/50.  Either he is a drive saver or a drive killer. Sometimes that can be a game killer.  

Honestly Knox is kinda the same way. He has drive killing drops too often as well.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Don’t overpay Gabe he’s a number 3 receiver masquerading as a number 2 

He might be an overall liability, actually, and the Bills might do better letting him go after this season. Look at the last game, for instance. Five targets, one catch for a TD, one drop, one interception that arguably was his fault. Not a fair sample, maybe, but his career catch rate is low, his drop rate high, he's not quick, has a hard time getting open, and often runs lazy routes. 

The positives people have pointed out (except for the blocking) flow almost entirely from playing with a future Hall of Fame quarterback. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, The Wiz said:

In Gabe's defense, he has 1 drop this year (last week against Washington) where knox and diggs both also had a drop in a wet game.

The pick was on him. He had one on one, gave up on the route then didn't play defense. This is the reason they don't want to extend him. He's just not consistently good. 

I was in the "wait and see" camp. So far from what I'm seeing..."meh"

Don't get me wrong, I like the guy a lot. Good worker, good teammate and all that. Other than the possibility of an occasional "where did THAT come?!?!" game a season...he's maybe the baseline for average NFL WR. Don't want to pay him like a superstar. Honestly, if he continues to show as he has for the first 3 games, I personally would let him walk. The WR draft class looks deep as does the WR FA market. And yes, some of those guys will re-sign before FA, but my move would be to sign one, draft one and possibly re-up Sherfield.

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, blitzboy54 said:

The pick was on him. He had one on one, gave up on the route then didn't play defense. This is the reason they don't want to extend him. He's just not consistently good. 

Not to mention only 1 catch. So 1 drop, 1 catch and 1 int when targeting him. 

5 hours ago, DasNootz said:

Gabe is this year’s Edmunds.  We want him to be more than he actually is.  We see glimpses that he’s capable of being next level, but he consistently is what he is.  Honestly - if you took away the 13 second game, his career would look incredibly more mediocre. 

I suspect he will get paid more by someone else and next year we will have a thread asking how he’s doing.

If he does get a contract offer we can't match then I don't begrudge him leaving.  Now that said I don't know that he will auto sign the best contract that gives him the most cash he may tell his agent to work out the best deal he can with the Bills if he is happy with the are a and team both if which seem to suit him well but again I have no knowledge of his personal feelings on the matter. 

I always got the impression he knows he's in a great situation and while he does have talent he doesn't see himself as this superstar talent that can get by just on that talent.  Maybe that lack of the wr diva trait is what limits his talents somewhat.  That extra edge the really great wrs have such as Diggs and the Andre Reeds, Terrell Owen's etc.  They just had that little extra that pushed them to be their best consistently.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I wouldn’t be opposed if it’s team friendly…the worst thing that could happen is he goes on a hot streak and earns himself a big payday then disappears lol

I don't get the impression that would occur.  If Gabe should break out and puts up any big stats it's because he gits well in the gameplans that the Bills execute and I think he would understand its the situation that allows him to capitalize in that way.   Will he want to get the biggest contract he can over staying in a place he knows he fits well is dependent on his mindset on the matter.  

He doesn't give off the diva I want to be said top $$ vibes, but that certainly doesn't mean he will sign a team friendly deal if it is offered. 

I don't see his personality of the type to work hard to  flash, then collect his  bag and then disappear.  He would give the same effort that netted him his deal whatever it ends up being .

If he breaks out I think he continues in that tier of quality for as long as he can maintain his health and enjoyment of the game.  

4 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

I don't get the impression that would occur.  If Gabe should break out and puts up any big stats it's because he gits well in the gameplans that the Bills execute and I think he would understand its the situation that allows him to capitalize in that way.   Will he want to get the biggest contract he can over staying in a place he knows he fits well is dependent on his mindset on the matter.  

He doesn't give off the diva I want to be said top $$ vibes, but that certainly doesn't mean he will sign a team friendly deal if it is offered. 

I don't see his personality of the type to work hard to  flash, then collect his  bag and then disappear.  He would give the same effort that netted him his deal whatever it ends up being .

If he breaks out I think he continues in that tier of quality for as long as he can maintain his health and enjoyment of the game.  

This is a business - he has one shot at setting he and his family up for life.  He lives in Florida in the off-season.  He will (and should) follow the money if offered a better contract elsewhere.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

Agree with all of that except the "skill" part.

Davis lacks the movement skills to excel at a wide variety of routes and has naturally hard hands.

The latter is why he claps at the ball, IMO.   He knows his hands suck so he's developed this weird technique that looks ridiculous when he drops the ball.........but at this point it seems likely that he is more comfortable catching the ball with his hands in motion than stationary like more highly skilled pass catchers.   

Gabe Davis is a hard worker but he's more of an overachiever than a guy with WR2 skill,  IMO.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Agree with all of that except the "skill" part.

Davis lacks the movement skills to excel at a wide variety of routes and has naturally hard hands.

The latter is why he claps at the ball, IMO.   He knows his hands suck so he's developed this weird technique that looks ridiculous when he drops the ball.........but at this point it seems likely that he is more comfortable catching the ball with his hands in motion than stationary like more highly skilled pass catchers.   

Gabe Davis is a hard worker but he's more of an overachiever than a guy with WR2 skill,  IMO.

yea, I want to cheer for him. Seems like a good enough guy and the type you’d like to see succeed - even beyond the fact that we have the need… 

but he just isn’t naturally gifted at the job when compared to guys who are top 64 at it. Doesn’t have short or long speed. Doesn’t have exceptional hands. 

Even his long TD this week wasn’t particularly fluid or skilled as an example of success despite the challenges instead of success because of high skills. 

He’s not a bum or lazy or anything. He just seems to be a tier or two higher than his natural skill set would normally warrant.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.