Who else is in the let’s get Gabe Davis signed to an extension camp?

John from Riverside

20 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

If he makes it through the season with no contract, we’re probably going to lose him

By all accounts, he has been lights out in this camp like literally one of the best players on the field

Davis has been hyped up for several years now. 

After last season, I have to see Davis perform at a higher level as the WR2. 

I am not particularly encouraged by the TC hype. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

If he makes it through the season with no contract, we’re probably going to lose him

By all accounts, he has been lights out in this camp like literally one of the best players on the field

here’s where I see the challenge… you are likely expecting him to lock in a bit cheaper now.

I do not forecast him to be remotely affordable today.

what numbers are you envisioning, John?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I get the reservations, the not being able to stay healthy thing on the ankle is definitely supportive of that

I’m just saying if he has a great year he’s gone they are paying ridiculous money to wide receivers

He's missed 2 games in 3 years.  Last season He played 17 of 19 games, nearly 1000 yards and 8TDs.  He must play very well when hurt...

• Like (+1) 1

Let him walk.

I don’t think you can pay a WR2, 11-15 mil a year when you have Josh, diggs and Knox locked up, not too mention you just traded up to get Kincaid in the first.

Draft one in the early rounds next year and have him cost control for the next 4-5 years

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 10
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

Ask people around here and the answer is no way. He could have an All Pro season and a large portion of the fans of this board would want him to walk.

That said, there seems to be a large disconnect in what those fans think of him and what Brandon Beane thinks of him. Beane has talked about wanting him back and being a long term member of this team dating back to before this offseason (in which he's mentioned it multiple times).

If he truly feels that way and can get him under an Oliver like deal for a WR now (aka a decent number, but not amongst the top paid for his position) - it might behoove him to do so rather than wait and possibly lose a gamble if he plays to a level that would make him extremely overpaid in FA next year.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

I am down with it but... I feel it's up to what's Davis is feeling. If he more wants to stay with us and keep it going I think it would work out good. But if that's the case he'll be capped at like $12 million a szn. And if he plays really good it could get awkward if hes grossly underpaid. I feel like I'd be happy if he has a year similar to last year and goes over 1000 yard and signs a 4 year deal with us at $12 mil a year. I would do that deal right now but I feel like its gotta play out so we don't underpay him then he has a wr1 season this year.

• Like (+1) 1

That contract year thing is a major motivator for these guys, why deprive us of that? 

Why not see if he can show some consistency?

Why not see if the Wish version of Sammy Watkins can keep his foot from imploding for an entire season?

Has he learned to catch?

Can he create any separation without the OL needing to keep the pocket clean for 8seconds?

But other than that, fire up the Brinks truck!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Depends on the price tag.

I think there could be a big difference between what his current value is compared to what it could be if he blows up.  

I’d sign him to a multi year deal 12M aav with 16M gtd contract over the first 2 years.  It’s a risk of his feet are injured again, but the low gtd money limits the risk. 

that said, I don’t think he’s sign that contract. He’ll make a good amount more if he has a great season.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

He’d be a great #3 option. We need another real playmaker. 

The only way I say Gabe comes back on a second contract is because Kincaid pans out to be a true stud and receiving threat, and Gabe takes a smaller deal

If Kincaid pans out as a true stud already this year, I see that lessening the chances of the Bills signing Gabe.  Davis won’t and shouldn’t take a smaller deal just because someone else is really good.

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, Saint Douggie said:

Dude sux, let him walk next year

May your 40th post be better

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

here’s where I see the challenge… you are likely expecting him to lock in a bit cheaper now.

I do not forecast him to be remotely affordable today.

what numbers are you envisioning, John?

That is a very good question. The answer is I don’t know. I just assumed that it would be cheaper now then if we waited till the end of the year.

The truth is, we don’t know how the bills feel about him. I’ve got the sneaky suspicion that the bills love him.

But they love Tremaine Edmunds to

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Doesn't benefit them to do it now.

Sure it does. The benefit is you save money if he has a monster year.

If you wait until after that happens, he's going to command a lot more money than had you signed him now. 

So sure, you can say "wait & see," but just know that at the point you do see it, it's already too late.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Sure it does. The benefit is you save money if he has a monster year.

If you wait until after that happens, he's going to command a lot more money than had you signed him now. 

So sure, you can say "wait & see," but just know that at the point you do see it, it's already too late.

I'd rather lose Gabe if he has a 1 great year after several less than great years than overpay him and be saddled with an overpaid less than great player.

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I love what I'm hearing about him at training camp, but let's wait and see if he can keep over a 60% catch percentage through the first 5 games or so before we think about extending him. Even then I might be inclined to let him walk next year. We're going to be tight against the cap for the next few years so we need to reserve our big money contracts for true proven difference makers. If Kincaid makes a big impact from day one, that lessens the need to pay a WR2 big money. So let's just wait and see where it goes from here.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Davis has been hyped up for several years now. 

After last season, I have to see Davis perform at a higher level as the WR2. 

I am not particularly encouraged by the TC hype. 

Newcam,  on this point we agree.  Sure he had a an ankle issue last year and maybe that inhibited his success last year.  But I’d want to see it at least for the first 8 games and maybe do an in season contract if he turned finally into a 1100 yard receiver.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Ask people around here and the answer is no way. He could have an All Pro season and a large portion of the fans of this board would want him to walk.

Yeah because it's the fans fault that he dropped the second most passes in the league,  had the lowest catch rate of any highly target player in the NFL, an abysmal 80 passer rating when thrown to and has had recurring foot problems for all 3 years of his career.  :rolleyes:

The reasons why he is polarizing are entirely justified by what's taken place on the field.

Pretending like it's an exaggeration to say he's been inconsistent/disappointing and that it wouldn't even matter if he played at an All-Pro level because fans are just picking on him is idiotic.

• Agree 2

42 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

If Kincaid pans out as a true stud already this year, I see that lessening the chances of the Bills signing Gabe.  Davis won’t and shouldn’t take a smaller deal just because someone else is really good.

I don't get the sense it's all about money with Gabr.  I think he'll want to stay here and will take a team friendly deal that still gives him a nice pay bump though not as much as some teams will offer him.  

7 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Overpaying Davis now, on a cap-strapped roster, in case he has a good season is inane.

Agree and I think he will have a great year with Allen and all the weapons we have.  I think he is well aware that Josh makes it look easy and that many wr will do well catching passes from Allen.  I think he will opt to stay and the Bills will offer him a fair raise.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Tag if he has a good year and let him and his agent know they plan on tagging him ahead of time.

Let his agent tell Bills what they would consider for an extension this year.

There is not space for a high priced QB and TE and WR for a very high priced WR2 

The franchise tag for him next year would be about 20 million, if not higher. There is no way the bills will risk tagging him, as Gabe would hold all the leverage when working on an extension

Edited by BillsFan130

47 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I'd rather lose Gabe if he has a 1 great year after several less than great years than overpay him and be saddled with an overpaid less than great player.

I would too. I'm just saying that there actually is a benefit to extending him now.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.