Who else is in the let’s get Gabe Davis signed to an extension camp?

John from Riverside

36 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Know who else he’d love? Mike evans plus a highly drafted rookie, plus cap space leftover.

Mike Evans is not a FA and the Bucs are looking to extend him. How many highly drafted receivers do you have bring in to get one as productive as Gabe? So far we haven’t gotten one that I can remember.You’re going to have to bite the bullet and spend on a FA. Any one year deal is bringing in an injury riddled player his previous team gave up on or a malcontent. Why are you so concerned with preserving cap space at the expense putting homegrown quality on the field. To me this guy raises his game in the postseason when it matters most and this team is all about getting to a SB.

7 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

Mike Evans is not a FA and the Bucs are looking to extend him. How many highly drafted receivers do you have bring in to get one as productive as Gabe? So far we haven’t gotten one that I can remember.You’re going to have to bite the bullet and spend on a FA. Any one year deal is bringing in an injury riddled player his previous team gave up on or a malcontent. Why are you so concerned with preserving cap space at the expense putting homegrown quality on the field. To me this guy raises his game in the postseason when it matters most and this team is all about getting to a SB.

if you are going to argue that guys with expiring contracts but are good so their teams would like to keep them are not free agents, then I will presume you will also argue that guys that are cut candidates aren’t free agents either

and I can’t use guys that were free agents signed this year as an example of quality of players available 

which yes, would definitely limit the specific names I could point to as examples of a bridge contract. 

On 8/10/2023 at 5:42 PM, BillsFan130 said:

Let him walk.

I don’t think you can pay a WR2, 11-15 mil a year when you have Josh, diggs and Knox locked up, not too mention you just traded up to get Kincaid in the first.

Draft one in the early rounds next year and have him cost control for the next 4-5 years

Right. In a no salary cap/owner will spend whatever it takes world, sure, I'd lock him up. But every extra million spent on him is a million less to spend on the secondary (Poyer and Hyde aren't getting any younger), LB, and of course O line.

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Like (+1) 1

On 8/12/2023 at 12:27 PM, FireChans said:

Okay let me rephrase.

The time to draft a non-lottery ticket replacement for Gabe Davis was this year.

Expecting fifth round players to start on a Superbowl team is a bad strategy.

Yeah.  You'd never see the Chiefs do anything like that.  They started Marquez Valdes-Scantling.

• Eyeroll 1

12 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Would you take one drafted at #32?

Yep

3 hours ago, fergie's ire said:

Yeah.  You'd never see the Chiefs do anything like that.  They started Marquez Valdes-Scantling.

Lol I forgot they drafted him last year and he was a rookie. 

You made my point for me lmao. They signed an FA who had proven to be an NFL receiver, if not a great one to be their third or fourth target.  We drafted Shakir who couldn’t get on the field to be our WR3/4. 

Surrounding a good QB with good talent is a good thing lol

Edited by FireChans
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Right. In a no salary cap/owner will spend whatever it takes world, sure, I'd lock him up. But every extra million spent on him is a million less to spend on the secondary (Poyer and Hyde aren't getting any younger), LB, and of course O line.

Yup. It’s easy to just say we should extend him, but the reality of doing so includes the opportunity cost. For those saying we should extend him, let’s see the max contract you’d offer. 

• 1 month later...

Three weeks in and Davis is 9-159-2

Average reception is 17.2 YPC.

He’s on pace for 50 catches and 900 yards. This is the Gabe Davis we know.

He’s also the Gabe Davis that on top of his 1-35-1 this past Sunday, dropped a pass, whiffed on a block on a screen (opening play) and was the target of the INT.

No chance this guy is back next year IMO

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/17/2023 at 9:48 AM, BarleyNY said:

Yup. It’s easy to just say we should extend him, but the reality of doing so includes the opportunity cost. For those saying we should extend him, let’s see the max contract you’d offer. 

I would say extend him… but its up to Beane and his agent decide what the price should be.  But he’s a

good WR and I’m glad he’s on our team. 

But I’m a homer… Go Bills!

2 minutes ago, buffblue said:

Not to hijack this thread with criticisms of Dorsey, but what on earth was the deal with the end around called for Gabe? I think my grandmother would have a better shot at making that play work

The element of surprise?  “”They’ll never expect it!”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, buffblue said:

Not to hijack this thread with criticisms of Dorsey, but what on earth was the deal with the end around called for Gabe? I think my grandmother would have a better shot at making that play work

It was an inside counter. Reminiscent of my old wing T days. Early on it was obvious Dorsey’s game script was to try and neutralize the aggressive DL with misdirection and quick game. It didn’t work until later in the game when they really started rolling with their gap scheme run game in the 3rd Q 

• Like (+1) 2

I don't think Gabe is going to go for the home team discount so I am fine if he tests the market.

Beats overpaying.

To keep some of their premier players the Bills are going to have to let some guys walk - you can't hold on to everyone.

When I ask myself is Gabe a good WR2 yes, but I think he is also replaceable.

Just my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1

What we see from Gabe this year is what you get, solid 2B guy. Kind of like Robert woods. Great option but not worth the 12 million on the open market. Either draft someone or pick up a hungry reliable vet. That is the nature of the cap and market. Knox is still looking like a slight overpayment, but we will see. 

I like Gabe but can't see you wont find that production from someone else lets remember we have a QB guys are willing to take a 1-2 year prove it deal to stack their numbers or chase a ring.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, buffblue said:

Right it was like....how can we catch them by surprise?  I know, we'll use the receiver they'd least expect to see used on that play...the guy with the least quickness.

I mean why not just use Kincaid or Knox?

Gabe is this year’s Edmunds.  We want him to be more than he actually is.  We see glimpses that he’s capable of being next level, but he consistently is what he is.  Honestly - if you took away the 13 second game, his career would look incredibly more mediocre. 

I suspect he will get paid more by someone else and next year we will have a thread asking how he’s doing.

• Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.