Who else is in the let’s get Gabe Davis signed to an extension camp?

John from Riverside

22 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

So now you're blaming Davis for Allen's underthrown pass in the Jets game and for throwing into perfect coverage against Fuller in the Skins game?  

I mean really, look at that coverage.  I don't see Diggs much less any other receiver on our team making that catch either.  

I'm not defending or attacking Davis here, just laying out some facts, but dang, there's clearly an anti-Davis agenda at work here.  

Kurt Warner blamed Davis for the Int in the Jets game in his film breakdown showing the mistake was he ran his route too shallow.  So either that is on Davis or that is on Dorsey for play design.  But I find it hard to believe that a professional OC would not understand basic route depth in play design.  

And Davis is not exactly know as a great route runner, has a limited route tree, and rounds his routes more than he cuts, which in itself makes it easier for the defender to stay with him and why his route tree has been limited.  

And on the Washington play, Davis didn't even make a play at the ball to attempt to catch or at least deflect it and he was right there, in fact, its PI on Davis as he literally has both his arms wrapped around Fuller starting the tackle before the ball even arrives.  With Davis size and proximity, why isn't he making a play on the ball and trying to high point it for the catch or at least get an arm up to prevent the INT?   You can see this on the replay on this clip at 18 seconds.  

https://www.nfl.com/videos/kendall-fuller-looks-like-wr-on-interception-of-josh-allen

I want to see Davis excel as much as anyone, but he has yet to show anything more than he has been so far this season.  Rounded routes, multiple INT's throwing to him, 3 catches on 8 targets combined in weeks 1 and 3 highlighting his biggest issue...inconsistency and efficiency.  We need him to be more than he has been if we want to reach and win the SB this year.  

Its early, its only 3 games, so he still has a chance to make more of an impact as the season moves on...but so far, I am not seeing anything more from him than we got previously.  

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I agree...the only thing had been year 3 he had played on a bum ankle, so entering the season this was his chance to prove he was more than he showed last year.  But to be honest, no matter what happened this year I still didn't expect him back in 2024.  If he had a big year they wouldn't be able to afford him and if he plays at a similar level then he isn't worth resigning.  

So for me, my expectation for next year has always been a WR early in the draft between I don't see a path where we would have resigned Gabe and Diggs is over 30, so we need to find a heir apparent to Diggs and no matter how well Davis ends up playing this year, he is definitely not a WR1 in this league who could be the long term heir to Diggs.  

And when you look around the league and you see the impact young WR's are having early every year, to me it is a no brainer to look towards the draft and take one, maybe 2 WR's next year.  

Personally I think the 3 positions highest on our draft board this offseason will be WR, RT, and C

Nice to not have to include MLB to the bolded positions! 

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So for me, my expectation for next year has always been a WR early in the draft between I don't see a path where we would have resigned Gabe and Diggs is over 30, so we need to find a heir apparent to Diggs and no matter how well Davis ends up playing this year, he is definitely not a WR1 in this league who could be the long term heir to Diggs.  

And when you look around the league and you see the impact young WR's are having early every year, to me it is a no brainer to look towards the draft and take one, maybe 2 WR's next year.  

Personally I think the 3 positions highest on our draft board this offseason will be WR, RT, and C

Drafted young WRs are crap shoots.  Veterans are a much safer bet.  Go Diggs like, yes we could have had J Jeff but also look at all the others we may have had that haven't panned out..  Buy a veteran, don't take any chances with this.   And since you're getting a veteran do it in-season, don't wait.

For instance, M Evans- he has a $13M salary this year and by the time they do an in-season trade over 1/3 of the season is gone.  Probably for the third we got for Edmunds.  You give him a two year contract (to overlap Diggs' contract for insurance purposes) at not much more than it would cost for Davis, around the money that DHop got.  M Evans already knows the role he will have, and would probably love being WR2 in this offense.  He's working on a HOF career and this would be a great way to keep at it.

If Beane can get more creative, a run for C Kupp could happen.  Diggs style.  Throw a first their way and maybe Elam, and have them eat some of the money so we can make the finances work.

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I agree...the only thing had been year 3 he had played on a bum ankle, so entering the season this was his chance to prove he was more than he showed last year.  But to be honest, no matter what happened this year I still didn't expect him back in 2024.  If he had a big year they wouldn't be able to afford him and if he plays at a similar level then he isn't worth resigning.  

So the same as the last 2 years lmao.

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Except 2 years ago we did draft a RT, we didn't need a Center nor did we need a WR as Davis looked like he was ready to be WR2.  So nah, not like the last 2 years.

So if we drafted RT, it was a need right?

Morse has been one bad hit away from retirement for years and IOL has needed a talent infusion outside of Bates.

If you were super high on Davis, good for you, but IMO regardless, we should have done a better job preparing for life after Diggs. Shakir and Shorter ain't it.

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, FireChans said:

So if we drafted RT, it was a need right?

Morse has been one bad hit away from retirement for years and IOL has needed a talent infusion outside of Bates.

If you were super high on Davis, good for you, but IMO regardless, we should have done a better job preparing for life after Diggs. Shakir and Shorter ain't it.

2 years ago Diggs was 28...preparing for life after Diggs wasn't in play and neither was replacing Morse, so stop blending today with 2 years ago.  So the only thing that was a "need" out of those 3 positions 2 years ago was RT, and they did address it, which is why they didn't address it last year or this year given they felt Browns issues last year were tied to his injury issues.  Whether they will be right or wrong on Brown is yet to be seen, but he has definitely not been as bad as last year so far.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Its early, its only 3 games, so he still has a chance to make more of an impact as the season moves on...but so far, I am not seeing anything more from him than we got previously.  

If the plan is to evaluate Gabe before the in-season trade deadline, they don't have that much longer.  I think after our 8th game (Tampa) is the deadline.  So, if that is a potential plan that decision will need to be made in the next month.  And to me, it hasn't gone well so far.

For me,  Gabe Davis is the Tremaine Edmunds on the offense side of the ball.  They have some really impressive moments/games on their career resumes, but when you start breaking down game by game, drive by drive,,,,  the impacts on games are not that impressive.  

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

2 years ago Diggs was 28...preparing for life after Diggs wasn't in play and neither was replacing Morse, so stop blending today with 2 years ago.  So the only thing that was a "need" out of those 3 positions 2 years ago was RT, and they did address it, which is why they didn't address it last year or this year given they felt Browns issues last year were tied to his injury issues.  Whether they will be right or wrong on Brown is yet to be seen, but he has definitely not been as bad as last year so far.

Sometimes you make too much sense for some here. I was going to interject with the same thing. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

If the plan is to evaluate Gabe before the in-season trade deadline, they don't have that much longer.  I think after our 8th game (Tampa) is the deadline.  So, if that is a potential plan that decision will need to be made in the next month.  And to me, it hasn't gone well so far.

I didn't suggest a trade would be coming, I really do not think they will trade him in season, not in a year we are pushing for a SB.  I just don't think we resign him next offseason 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

It should’ve been, with Gabe only under contract for 2 more seasons.

anyways, you don’t have to argue with me about WR being a need, argue with Beane who had to sign the corpses of John Brown and Beasley to give the WR room some juice last year. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I didn't suggest a trade would be coming, I really do not think they will trade him in season, not in a year we are pushing for a SB.  I just don't think we resign him next offseason 

I find it hard to believe anybody is going to give us anything of value for Gabe. Other teams see the same thing we all do. It’s not like it’s a small sample size of film to watch. 

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I didn't say you were suggesting a trade, I am.  And the trade talk is not about moving Gabe, it's about the Bills bringing in another WR.  The evaluation the FO is making is if Gabe is WR2 material.  If they make that decision within the two month time frame they then try and get a real WR2 (and that would obviously signal no intention of signing Gabe next year).  That is a big time move for a SB push.

The FO had claimed that Gabe's disappointing 2022 was because of injuries.  I don't see any improvement while he is uninjured.  

The FO was already leery of Gabe and had investigated OBJ and DHop.  I'm hoping this is plan B.

12 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I find it hard to believe anybody is going to give us anything of value for Gabe. Other teams see the same thing we all do. It’s not like it’s a small sample size of film to watch. 

My mentioning a trade if for the Bills to get a better WR, not move Gabe.  If the FO makes the decision that Gabe is not the WR2, then they can try and go get one now - in-season trade.  A Mike Evans type with the mind set that Gabe leaves next year.

3 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

No we're saying Gabe is inefficient as a WR because he's physically limited while eating up 95% of snaps. 

Well, OK, so let's use that standard then. 

Which receivers on the team have done better on a "per-snap" basis?  

Here are Davis' individual plays: 

Jets: 

2nd-and-11, 26 yard catch for a 1st-Down, to set up a TD in the red zone.  

2nd-and-3, 6 yards for a 1st-Down on a drive that resulted in a FG.  

Raiders: 

2nd-and-7, 7 yard catch for a 1D ... followed by ...

1st-and-10, 19 yard catch for a 1D, on a drive that resulted in a TD.  

1st-and-10, 15 yard catch that put us at the Raider 11, and setup Allen's next completion to Shakir for a TD.  

4th-and-2, 2 yards for a TD.  

2nd-and-8, 9 yards for a 1D, ... later on that drive ...

3rd-and-6, 40 yards for a 1D at the Raider 8 YL to set up Harris' TD run.  

Washington:  

1st-and-10, 35 yards for a TD for our first TD of the day and Allen's only passing TD.  Allen only completed 20 passes on Sunday, and only one receiver had more than 2 catches, and that was Diggs with 8.  The other dozen catches were distributed fairly evenly among the rest of the receiving players on the team.  

Hammer on them as one will, but those are just facts.  

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Yeh cause he drops a ton of catchable passes, only runs 3 routes according to Patrick Peterson, and is going to want 15 million plus a year as well 

So is the argument that he sucks, or  wants too much money?  

I'm not paying him $15/season.  Not happening if I'm the GM and I don't see Beane even entertaining that notion.  

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Gabe Davis is the reason gas prices are high also.

He needs to go to the bench.

Yeah, pretty much.  

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

What, is that a joke? 

He has 9 catches, ALL of which have either gone for a 1st-Down or scored a TD.  He caught Allen's only TD pass in the last game. 

He has logged 1st-Downs and in one case the TD itself, on drives featuring over half the teams offensive points and on 6 of the teams TD drives.  

That's not making in impact?  

LOL  

OK  

There's not another player in the league with that this season.  

To be clear, I do not wish an injury on any player on the team.

With that being said, I'd be curious to see us play a few games without Davis and see if we really notice a difference in overall production.  We don't really know what the play calls, reads, or other nuances of this offense are.  Personally, I don't believe we should pay Davis, but I do believe we have to start planning for life after Diggs.  

While we still need and OT and C, in this offseason, I think we should invest in a WR and let them get settled before Diggs departs

• Agree 2

17 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Well, OK, so let's use that standard then. 

Which receivers on the team have done better on a "per-snap" basis?  

Here are Davis' individual plays: 

Jets: 

2nd-and-11, 26 yard catch for a 1st-Down, to set up a TD in the red zone.  

2nd-and-3, 6 yards for a 1st-Down on a drive that resulted in a FG.  

Raiders: 

2nd-and-7, 7 yard catch for a 1D ... followed by ...

1st-and-10, 19 yard catch for a 1D, on a drive that resulted in a TD.  

1st-and-10, 15 yard catch that put us at the Raider 11, and setup Allen's next completion to Shakir for a TD.  

4th-and-2, 2 yards for a TD.  

2nd-and-8, 9 yards for a 1D, ... later on that drive ...

3rd-and-6, 40 yards for a 1D at the Raider 8 YL to set up Harris' TD run.  

Washington:  

1st-and-10, 35 yards for a TD for our first TD of the day and Allen's only passing TD.  Allen only completed 20 passes on Sunday, and only one receiver had more than 2 catches, and that was Diggs with 8.  The other dozen catches were distributed fairly evenly among the rest of the receiving players on the team.  

Hammer on them as one will, but those are just facts.  

He’s getting over 90% of snaps and your content with a 2 and 1 catch games? Doesn’t matter what the 3,4 and 5 WRs are doing in limited time, it what’s gabe isn’t doing while getting a huge portion of the snaps.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

To be clear, I do not wish an injury on any player on the team.

With that being said, I'd be curious to see us play a few games without Davis and see if we really notice a difference in overall production.  We don't really know what the play calls, reads, or other nuances of this offense are.  Personally, I don't believe we should pay Davis, but I do believe we have to start planning for life after Diggs.  

While we still need and OT and C, in this offseason, I think we should invest in a WR and let them get settled before Diggs departs

WTF?!?

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.