Who else is in the let’s get Gabe Davis signed to an extension camp?

John from Riverside

49 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I love what I'm hearing about him at training camp, but let's wait and see if he can keep over a 60% catch percentage through the first 5 games or so before we think about extending him. Even then I might be inclined to let him walk next year. We're going to be tight against the cap for the next few years so we need to reserve our big money contracts for true proven difference makers. If Kincaid makes a big impact from day one, that lessens the need to pay a WR2 big money. So let's just wait and see where it goes from here.

Look at his routes, look at his targets, he had so many extremely difficult opportunities.  

If he can pick up his catch % and consistency, he'll be a high value #2 or even 1B WR in FA 

I'd be happy if he signed right now 

2 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Let him walk.

I don’t think you can pay a WR2, 11-15 mil a year when you have Josh, diggs and Knox locked up, not too mention you just traded up to get Kincaid in the first.

Draft one in the early rounds next year and have him cost control for the next 4-5 years

We also will benefit from having one of the top qbs. I rate him 1 but understand others have their favorites.  We know the players voted him to 8 of top 100 players and was 3rd or 4th qb.  

So we will have plenty of talented wrs that are looking for a better team when their FA kicks in and I see the Bills snagging a number of WR FA during Allen's tenure and it will be very fruitful in terms of SBs when he finally does retire many years from now.  

• Agree 1

I would at least let him play in a few games to see if he has gotten over the dropsies . Any player can get dinged up but Gabe is one that if he is playing his game can be a 1-A WR for the team . So i would sign him but would wait till half way through the season first .

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

If he makes it through the season with no contract, we’re probably going to lose him

By all accounts, he has been lights out in this camp like literally one of the best players on the field

I don't know whether we'll lose him or not, but I'm firmly in the re-sign him camp.  

I've been one of his biggest supporters and apologists.  

To the “wait and see” crowd, I don’t think that option exists in reality. 

The two options are basically as follows:

-If the two sides can meet on a deal, lock him down before the season. 

-Gabe leaves in FA

Im not sold either way.. but the “wait and see” option, imo, isn’t a thing. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

His numbers are comparable to Zay Jones who signed a 3 yr/ 24 million dollar deal. As a GM I'd love for Gabe to take that deal.

I'd doubt he would sign that considering a healthy season catching balls from JA17 could net him a much more lucrative deal. If he puts up a 1k season with more consistent hands he's looking at 15mil per.

Beane can't do that.

7 minutes ago, SCBills said:

To the “wait and see” crowd, I don’t think that option exists in reality. 

The two options are basically as follows:

-If the two sides can meet on a deal, lock him down before the season. 

-Gabe leaves in FA

Im not sold either way.. but the “wait and see” option, imo, isn’t a thing. 

Agreed. It's not like his QB is Mac Jones or Baker Mayfield. If he bets on himself and stays healthy he's gonna cash in. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

He’d be a great #3 option. We need another real playmaker. 

The only way I say Gabe comes back on a second contract is because Kincaid pans out to be a true stud and receiving threat, and Gabe takes a smaller deal

Why would he take less? Only way that happens is if he gets injured or totally 💩's the bed in which he may not be retained anyway.

2 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Agree and I think he will have a great year with Allen and all the weapons we have.  I think he is well aware that Josh makes it look easy and that many wr will do well catching passes from Allen.  I think he will opt to stay and the Bills will offer him a fair raise.

Many thought the same going into last season. Not saying last season was all bad or anything, but not the kinda break out year people were thinking. 

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

If he makes it through the season with no contract, we’re probably going to lose him

By all accounts, he has been lights out in this camp like literally one of the best players on the field

As much as I like the guy, and I do, The elephant in the room is his chronic ankle injury, that pretty obviously effects his production,  a long term re-up would need to reflect this, jmo. 

I think the $12 million or more he might command would be far better spent on the O-line or maybe D-line. As it's been said: draft a number 2 receiver with traits and keep him cost controlled for at least four years. Draft the right guy, and he could replace Diggs after two years.

People talk about spending like there's no cap. There is and we're tight against it with holes on both lines. Not the time to spend money on an inconsistent WR.

2 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

The franchise tag for him next year would be about 20 million, if not higher. There is no way the bills will risk tagging him, as Gabe would hold all the leverage when working on an extension

Assuming he has a season that warrants this, you can always rescind that too if an extension or trade doesn't happen. I'm in the camp that it makes no sense to do this deal now unless it's very a team friendly deal . 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

His numbers are comparable to Zay Jones who signed a 3 yr/ 24 million dollar deal. As a GM I'd love for Gabe to take that deal.

I'd doubt he would sign that considering a healthy season catching balls from JA17 could net him a much more lucrative deal. If he puts up a 1k season with more consistent hands he's looking at 15mil per.

Beane can't do that.

Agreed. It's not like his QB is Mac Jones or Baker Mayfield. If he bets on himself and stays healthy he's gonna cash in. 

If Zay Jones' production is the standard for WR2, then that's doing JA a huge disservice and means they're still behind KC and CIN offensively.  

My concern is OBD considers the offense having received their share of investment with Kincaid selected in RD1.  Or, that they can keep spending on their own guys.  

Around here, re-signing their own gets a lot of props, but it's not always what's best for the team...on the field and the cap.  Buffalo needs to keep investing high picks on offense at WR to find a contributor on their rookie contract.  Davis is the kind of guy you jettison looking for a replacement with better potential. 

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah because it's the fans fault that he dropped the second most passes in the league,  had the lowest catch rate of any highly target player in the NFL, an abysmal 80 passer rating when thrown to and has had recurring foot problems for all 3 years of his career.  :rolleyes:

The reasons why he is polarizing are entirely justified by what's taken place on the field.

Pretending like it's an exaggeration to say he's been inconsistent/disappointing and that it wouldn't even matter if he played at an All-Pro level because fans are just picking on him is idiotic.

Here we go again...

At no point did I say there isn't concerns or that there wasn't any merit to having concerns. If anything, I'm pointing to his biggest detractors who argue the guy has zero redeeming qualities and have a total vendetta for him. Just like all of our Gabe Davis discussions, I'm looking at things from Brandon Beane's stance from his words and actions. 

What's likely, what's not likely, and the different points to the discussion from all angles. Not just ranting and raving about my own personal viewpoint. And that's where we always seem to butt heads here. Your view is this is a place to discuss (or rant) about your personal (often hardline) stance. Whereas I don't see the point in that when it comes to personnel and focus more on what the guy calling the shots is likely to do or not do. 

But back to Davis. Yes, he had drops last year. But Beane's stance has been that he was dealing with injuries that effected his game (and yes, I hear your concern that this has been an issue in other years) and was also playing against tougher CB's and tougher coverage than he had been up to that point in his career in that it was his first year as a Starter.

However, even with your concerns, again, of which there is some merit to, he was 33rd in the league in Reception yards by WR and 16th in the league in TD's by WR. Which is at the very top end production for a #2 WR. 

And he put up top production for a #2 WR in a year that you argue wasn't a good year for him. Beane sees a guy that is going into his second year as a Starter and can grow with that experience and a belief that he won't be injured as much. If he can do that, he will have even better numbers.

If he truly feels this way as he says (and his actions this offseason has proved) and he can get him re-signed now at a number that fits a top end #2 WR, he may be inclined to do so as if he does perform up to his expectations - it will cost a lot more.

Whether you personally think it's wise or not.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PBF81 said:

I don't know whether we'll lose him or not, but I'm firmly in the re-sign him camp.  

I've been one of his biggest supporters and apologists.  

While there have been a few glimpses of explosive excellence, the larger sample size of full seasons (especially observable in-person) shows a guy who requires apologies for his flaws: a guy who isn't often enough on the same page as his QB when reading coverages and adapting his routes, and a guy whose catching fundamentals have been puzzlingly fudged up far too often. The numbers actually support these criticisms. His transcendent playoff performance against KC (13-second loss) I guess refutes them for some people. 

• Vomit 1

They brought in E. Sanders for a year, brought in OBJ for a visit, and then tried to get Hopkins.  I think they prefer him in that WR4 role so I don't see them overpaying for him now.  They love the guy's work ethic/DNA/whatever but recognize his limitations.  I'd be surprised if they give him any more than a 10 to 11 million a year extension that's not too difficult to get out of.

• Disagree 1

I think he has the skills so be a true WR2 in this league.  Problem is he hasn’t elevated himself to that position with consistent play.  I love the guy and want him to succed, but he simply has not been consistent enough.

If he has a breakout season and becomes the guy we want him to be, I wouldn’t break the bank for him.  I hate when guys have their best season in contract years.  I’m not willing to pay those guys.

Beane already has his plan for whichever Gabe shows up this year.  He’s a plug and play kind of GM, and that’s what I expect with Gabe’s future here.  Problem with plug and play as your go to is what happens when you fail to attract talent?  A winning organization has a greater chance of recruiting for reasonable money than those who are losing.

• Agree 2

Hard to take a definitive stance right now, but if I have to I would say to let him go either way (regardless of his performance).

With no DL signed beyond this season and other more pressing needs that might pop up before next season, I feel they should allocate their cap elsewhere.

That's especially true if Kincaid turns out to be as good as expected.

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I get the reservations, the not being able to stay healthy thing on the ankle is definitely supportive of that

I’m just saying if he has a great year he’s gone they are paying ridiculous money to wide receivers

I suggested we sign Edmunds in the beginning of his 5th year and said "If he has a great year we wont afford him" and I got roasted for it. Now that Gabe is in his 5th year... if he lights it up like Edmunds we wont afford him.  and next off season we will be crying about #2 WR with an Aging #1 WR and wondering what should we do.

Fortunate for us... WR's go deep in the draft normally. So I think we will be in the hole next year with no Gabe and an aging Diggs and have to get a WR in round one and pray he is good and our future. 

it is what it is

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I suggested we sign Edmunds in the beginning of his 5th year and said "If he has a great year we wont afford him" and I got roasted for it. Now that Gabe is in his 5th year... if he lights it up like Edmunds we wont afford him.  and next off season we will be crying about #2 WR with an Aging #1 WR and wondering what should we do.

Fortunate for us... WR's go deep in the draft normally. So I think we will be in the hole next year with no Gabe and an aging Diggs and have to get a WR in round one and pray he is good and our future. 

it is what it is

You're making the assumption that Edmunds didn't bet on himself before last season.  Bills fans may be making that same assumption with Davis.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

While there have been a few glimpses of explosive excellence, the larger sample size of full seasons (especially observable in-person) shows a guy who requires apologies for his flaws: a guy who isn't often enough on the same page as his QB when reading coverages and adapting his routes, and a guy whose catching fundamentals have been puzzlingly fudged up far too often. The numbers actually support these criticisms. His transcendent playoff performance against KC (13-second loss) I guess refutes them for some people. 

We'll, it's a new season.  🙂

10 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Sure it does. The benefit is you save money if he has a monster year.

If you wait until after that happens, he's going to command a lot more money than had you signed him now. 

So sure, you can say "wait & see," but just know that at the point you do see it, it's already too late.

I think we all get that.  Point is they can re-sign him any time, not just after the season. 

The Bills would be crazy to extend any player that has been as inconsistent as Gabe Davis has. Sure, he may go off this season and they lose him, but that doesn’t mean taking a wait and see approach isn’t the right thing to do.

8 hours ago, danh920 said:

Assuming he has a season that warrants this, you can always rescind that too if an extension or trade doesn't happen. I'm in the camp that it makes no sense to do this deal now unless it's very a team friendly deal . 

But they aren’t going to franchise him, talk extension, and then take away the franchise tag if an extension doesn’t work out haha.

That would completely screw Gabe out of the free agent market and no player would want to come/ resign in Buffalo after that lol

Edited by BillsFan130

13 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

We are losing him no matter what. If he performs well he will get paid more than we can afford, if he plays like last year we are letting him walk. We need to draft our #2 so we can have some salary control. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

We are losing him no matter what. If he performs well he will get paid more than we can afford, if he plays like last year we are letting him walk. We need to draft our #2 so we can have some salary control. 

This is exactly right and it sucks because I guarantee you he is going to have an amazing season.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not against the premise.

Truth is Davis was wr2 productive last year at 48/835/7 and it can only go up from there.

We can afford a player Davis has been so far, but more than that: a contract now would be something that doesn't tie us up as it pertains to the cap.

Then if he does break out, he's cheap, and if he doesn't break out, the contract won't be too big to move on from.

Worked with Allen. Everyone said whoa! too big too early but after burrow get his contract, Josh will be 10th in AAV. 10th. And this is the first year of his extension. That's value

"We won't be able to afford him next year if he breaks out"

Yes, we will. Just taking a shallow look on OTC shows the Bills will have the ability to create almost $75M in cap available through restructures. Subtract the $25M it shows we are already in the red and that's $50M. Now, I'm not advocating that they should do ALL the restructures available...nor will they. But that's what's there. Add in that there are also some salary cap casualties (Hines at 5M for instance) next year and yes, Davis is affordable.

"Just let him walk and take the comp pick"

I am team comp pick in most situations. But for Davis at this time it doesn't make sense to me. I place his value in the same category as MVS and Allen Lazard. Lazard just signed with the Jets at 4/44M. That sounds about right for Davis prior to this season. (though SPOTRAC has his value slightly higher at 12.4M estimation)

As it sits right now that Lazard contract is projected to net the Packers a 5th round comp pick.  Now, granted if he stays healthy and some other team thinks he's a #1 type guy and throws Christian Kirk type money at him (4/72M resulting in 3rd round comp pick) then that changes the equation. 

Let the season play out

Right now Davis is, at least to me, a playmaker. What he isn't is consistent. Be it due to injury or drops...he still has to show some semblance of being a consistent playmaker. Yes he has the potential for a great game every week (see Steelers last year). He also has the potential to disappear. 

IF I'm not mistaken, Davis's contract put him as the 70th highest paid WR this year. That's great value for the Bills. 

It takes 2 to make a thing go right

Easy for fans to sit back and say "git er done"..but the reality is the deal has to make sense for both sides. Sometimes guys wait and bet on themselves (Edmunds may be an example) others they take what is perceived as slightly less to get financial security sooner (Oliver may be an example). In any event, Beane expressed desire early in the off-season to extend 2 guys. Oliver and Davis. One is done. On the other hand, Davis's comments didn't seem like he was in a rush. Those can be found in the article below.

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2023/07/buffalo-bills-receiver-reveals-mothers-message-ahead-of-contract-year.html

Personal choice: I want Gabe to earn big bucks this year. If that money comes from Buffalo next year or another team...I don't mind either way. If Gabe earns himself a Kirk type contract that most likely means he had a huge year for Buffalo this year and that bodes very well for the Bills Super Bowl run this year.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.