How much on Sunday will be an evaluation of Brandon Beane?

78thealltimegreat

If Josh doesn’t play on Sunday and not really a good or bad topic but how much will you be evaluating the overall roster construction?

Does Josh really mask the warts this team has like the constant talking about a running game or a consistent receiver outside Diggs.

Or does the talent we have step up and be good enough to hold it down til 17 returns? 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 5
  • Eyeroll 10
  • Disagree 3
  • Dislike 1

11 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

If Josh doesn’t play on Sunday and not really a good or bad topic but how much will you be evaluating the overall roster construction?

Does Josh really mask the warts this team has like the constant talking about a running game or a consistent receiver outside Diggs.

Or does the talent we have step up and be good enough to hold it down til 17 returns? 

If purely Josh is missing, and we look a mess on offense, then it will not reflect brilliantly on building that side of the ball.

The defense looks like it will be missing a few key personnel so will be difficult to judge.

Edited by UKBillFan
  • Like (+1) 1

I don’t know that a ton of judgment can be made on one game if they come out and struggle offensively.  

Would be notable if they come out and look competent to good.. 

-If a running game is established. 

-If skill players have defined roles.  It’s not just deep shots and reluctant check downs. 

Not that it would be a criticism or Allen or Dorsey, but maybe there is “move the chains” talent and hyper-aggressiveness is a detriment at times. 

• Like (+1) 1

It's an evaluation of the contingency plan for Allen if nothing else.  

The Bills are paying Case Keenum $3.5 million for the "break glass in case of emergency" spot performance.

You get 1.1 million for holding the proverbial clipboard.  (Barkley).    

If Keenum plays this weekend, I expect a rough first quarter from him but better performances in 2 through 4.  

• Agree 1

Yep, Josh masks all kinds of imperfection all the time.

That magic eraser will be gone on Sunday (assuming he doesn't play which I don't think he will) and a few more warts will show relative to normal.

Still have a strong roster makeup top to bottom though.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

It will be a direct indictment on Beane's failures if this team loses which I suspect will be the case without JA17.

This offensive line is among the worse in the league and that will be magnified tenfold with a limited QB like Keenum sitting back there for the Vikings to tee off on especially with an even more diminished threat of a running game that they can stack the box against.

The key is if the defense can get out of whatever funk they are in and carry the load, but even if they do not sure it will be enough.

• Vomit 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 2

1 hour ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

No meaningful evaluations can be made based on one game.

I agree with this, but it is also a situation with which we have minimal experience.

There's no real answers to be had but it is a rare data point to add to the equation.

I will say that if they walk on to that field without Allen but also missing Groot, Milano, Poyer, Tre White, Spencer Brown and Kaiir Elam, then it becomes meaningless in terms of evaluating the GM.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Roster build isn't designed around a backup QB, it was built for Josh/offensive skillset that meshes into the coaches' philosophy.

That said, you can evaluate the following fairly IMO:

1. Keenum: if Josh is out, Keenum is still an established veteran QB and should be able to move the ball with the offensive talent.  I think if Keenum plays "Peterman" level, then go ahead and put some shade toward Beane for misjudging the backup QB spot.

2. Dorsey: directly correlated to above, I have faith Dorsey will put Keenum in situations to succeed with his playcalling.  Dorsey was a very similar QB to Case, get the ball to his playmakers and let them do their job.  I'd expect to see more quick passes, occasional 50/50 deep ball (fade patterns).  Keenum is good at reading defenses, and just needs to avoid turnovers/keep us in 3rd and manageable.

So are we debating if there’s enough talent on the roster? Cause my answer would be yes. 
Wouldn’t it be more on the coaches if they can still get production from that talent while missing a key player? I’m not sure exactly what we’re going for here. What if the O line suddenly run blocks and pass blocks well above average cause Keenum is a traditional passer who gets the ball out super fast? What if playaction actually gets defenses to bite since we might really hand the ball off? So many variables I don’t think one game is a fair judgement although I’m sure the GDT will be full of it though. 

2 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

This is a good thread, and the reactions to it are so typical of this place. How dare you suggest that something might not go well or that Beane might not have done a perfect job? Fans around here can't handle the possibility. Only blind positivity allowed.

2 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Brandon Beane has built a solid roster. Enough with this sh*t

really.  I love Bean, but to say it’s not an evaluation of him or the offensive scouts is nonsense.    How is the OL and running game?  The question here is how much did Bean rely on JA to support the offense while building up the D and often wasting picks (Basham) doing so?   

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

I think Sunday has better a chance to ruin a lot of Dorsey goodwill.

not to say he’s been terrible or even bad but I don’t think he’s been great but having a player like Josh Allen under center covers up a lot.

The support for Dorsey will obviously be in correlation to how the offense looks. We started well but, since the bye, have become more reliant on big plays and avoiding the dink and dunk. I'm not sure why but it's been to the detriment of the offense.

To an extent, you already know everything you need to know to evaluate Beane.

He could have produced better ROI, draft-wise, at the DE and RB positions, and he seems to half-ass his way at improving the OL, likely as a result of the above and a mandate from McD to prioritise the defensive side of the ball, hoping that Josh could make up for any offensive shortcomings.

He is willing to slightly overpay to retain homegrown talent but sometimes you have no alternatives.

He is a solid GM and that's a job in which you can't be perfect.

Edited by McDeerInTheHeadlights
Typo

3 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

How much on Sunday will be an evaluation of Brandon Beane? Far less than the the evaluation of Beane thus far this year given time lost to injury on the defensive side of the ball.  Which so far I'd evaluate as pretty damn good. 

If Josh is out this Sunday or past I wouldn't expect the same level of success on the offensive side. But I wouldn't put that on 'roster construction' - last time I checked it's QB driven league and as the drought years should remind us that's not an easy position to staff let alone have a strong backup for.

The whole “best roster in the NFL” BS will end quickly without Allen at QB.  The reality is a piss poor OL, weak at best WR core beyond Diggs, under performing/under talented TE/RB group.  All of this is easy to cover with Superman at QB, put an average QB back there and it will be exposed.  Instead, people will inevitably blame Keenum for not being Josh. 

The D is crushed with injuries, I’ll give them a pass, but they are going to have to carry the team if Allen isn’t out there.

Every game is an evaluation of your GM.  Along with every draft pick, signing, release, extension and trade.  Every move a GM makes is scrutinized, this game is no different.

The thing that a lot of people struggle with is the sample size.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Einstein said:

Good topic.

And pretty spot on.  The other guys have to step up and win the game without Josh.  If they are the competitors they claim they step up  get the job done.  

It will also be interesting to see how Dorsey gameplans the offense for Keenums skillet.  And will the defense be able to hold the Vikings to a low score than what our offense can produce.  If all we score is a fg then defense needs a shutout.  Or it can just go and score some points and give the offense help if it is mis-firing again.  

Edited by AuntieEm

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

I think Sunday has better a chance to ruin a lot of Dorsey goodwill.

not to say he’s been terrible or even bad but I don’t think he’s been great but having a player like Josh Allen under center covers up a lot.

Or he could make a mark and gameplan with keenum well enough the defense isn't worn out and both sides complement the other and we have a great game and the team rides zthrough the rest of the season buoyed with the confidence they can get the job done even with Josh on the bench hurt.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.