Possibility of 16 playoff teams this year

BillsMafi$

4 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

That would be very NFL like to change the rules as they go. I’m not sure how adding more teams helps anything with Covid. 

It doesn't.

This is a money grab for all of the extra lost revenue from no fans in attendance and concession sales.

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

How exactly would that help?

Some of the richer owners pushing for this?

It has to be. This is dumb.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

This would really stink for the super bowl favorite teams like KC, Pitt, and Seattle. Have to run a much harder gauntlet and not get banged up. The lesser teams can probably pull off some upsets in this format. 

may help us then

NFL clearly has no idea what they are doing this season 

first they threaten to punish teams for breaking covid protocol. then after the titans do exactly that and ruin multiple teams schedules nothing happens to them and they got extra rest and prep times for their games. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

How exactly would that help?

Some of the richer owners pushing for this?

The idea is to help out if games and/or the bye week are lost.  

If they get the full season in with some re-scheduled games, I highly doubt we will see the modified playoff format.

It's similar to what the NHL did with their mini "pre-playoff tournament" that was expanded to encompass almost the whole league (no Sabres!) because of the loss of most of March and the April games at the end of the regular season.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

Don’t like that, personally. I think once you start the year you don’t change the playoff format.

Nor do I. Alas, it’s about MONEY and HOPE (the latter being for the fan base as it increases interest for the lower level teams). 

Can only help the Bills,  assuming they win the division.

Doesn't affect any of the #2-#4 division winner seeds.

The Bills aren't getting the #1 seed and if they were to win their first game they quite probably would be heading to play the rested #1 seed.

Yes.  The NFL will have 16 team playoffs if

1. The teams they want to be in it are not initially in it.

2.  The amount of money to be made is high enough to make it worth.

Fines for hurting the integrity of the game that players get are such a joke.  No one hurts the integrity of the game more that the league office and officiating crews.

If you don't think the NFL can arrange for fake COVID results then guess again.  I guarantee we will have 16 playoff teams.

1 hour ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

water down the playoffs and youll get a water downed product.

They will figure out everything that turns off the majority of the fan base when they don't have any fans left.

2 hours ago, TroutDog said:

Nor do I. Alas, it’s about MONEY and HOPE (the latter being for the fan base as it increases interest for the lower level teams). 

You mean the big market teams that aren't doing to hot.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Can only help the Bills,  assuming they win the division.

Doesn't affect any of the #2-#4 division winner seeds.

The Bills aren't getting the #1 seed and if they were to win their first game they quite probably would be heading to play the rested #1 seed.

This.   Would love for this to happen.  Bills are not getting a 1seed.   Gives a chance the 1 seed gets knocked out early and the Bills slot up. 

7 hours ago, mabden said:

Jerry jones.  It would be the only way for dallas to get into the playoffs. 

Errrr not it wouldn't. Even if you give an extra wildcard nobody from the NFC Least is getting one. The only route for Dallas is beat the equally dreadful Eagles to the division. That looks a longshot.

8 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

Uhg, that's stupid. I don't even like the two extra wildcard teams.

With 32 teams, it would suck if only the 4 division leaders made the playoffs. That also means only 2 teams per division host a home playoff game.Hell, we wouldn't have even broken the playoff drought if not for the WC. 

i agree with the 16 team playoff being stupid though, especially since the season has already started. The way it is now is perfect imo.

I am a little late to understanding this.... I thought we have 6 teams per conference who make it to the playoffs (12 total.)  I guess somewhere they have discussed adding two more teams for covid.  I don't understand who these 2 teams would play.  Now they are discussing two more?  I am confused.  

I need a playoff bracket image to show how both these are supposed to work.  

On a side note, I like 12 teams in the playoffs.  You start adding more than that and being a "playoff team" starts to lose its value.  

13 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

That would be very NFL like to change the rules as they go. I’m not sure how adding more teams helps anything with Covid. 

This is only if the season is cut short by another Covid breakout. Didn't the NHL expand the playoff field to 24 in the middle of their season? (I don't follow the NBA. What did they do?)