How can we not be all in on Metcalf now?

I get the fear of his overall stiffness when it comes to cuts and coming out of breaks but I'm watching him that's technique more than a flaw.  He is too upright even when running the shuttle.  He needs to bend the knees more and he could improve this aspect. 

DK Metcalf seems like a workout warrior. I wouldn’t mind taking him in the mid to late teens after a trade down. Straight up at 9 I would rather take a pass rusher where at that point in the draft there will be a top tier pass rusher there.

I think at around pick 15-20 Metcalf is a risk worth taking. He has a dominant physical profile, the family acumen (His father, uncle, and grandfather were all in the NFL), along with being a good kid in general. 

But as good a physical freak as he is, Metcalf does have concerns about his lateral ability (His cone drills were awful), his route running, and his hands leave a lot to be desired on tape. He also has an injury history that isn’t insignificant. 

You need to be able use more than straight line speed and a freak physical profile to be a good WR in the NFL. But if Metcalf can polish his game more he has All-Pro potential. 

So my appetite for risk on Metcalf at pick 9 is not there. I think if somehow if the Bills can trade down between 15-20 and Metcalf is there at that range (Which now is unlikely but who knows if the hype calms down in the later draft process) then having extra picks and picking lower makes Metcalf a risk worth taking as you likely have an extra 2ndround pick to fill other needs. 

On 3/5/2019 at 1:12 PM, papazoid said:

D.K. Metcalf had a great combine ... but was slower than Tom Brady in some drills

Metcalf had a 3-cone drill of 7.38 seconds and a shuttle time of 4.5 seconds. Brady ran the 3-cone drill in 7.2 seconds and the shuttle in 4.38 seconds at the 2000 combine.

Was it just technique or is there something concerning about Metcalf’s short-area athleticism?

https://sports.yahoo.com/dk-metcalf-had-a-great-combine-but-was-slower-than-tom-brady-in-some-drills-160122585.html

Being built like a tank and running the 40 very fast is great, but neither matters if a receiver doesn’t have the quickness to get open in the NFL.

This points to exactly why I think he is a David Boston clone....dude is in love with weightlifting and not football...he has gotten too big and bulky and when that happens, you lose flexibility over time...this is why he is all-world in many of the drills but when it comes to flexibility/change of direction drills he is terrible...he is a constant injury waiting to happen...dude will likely have a career shortened by injury/

24 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

I get the fear of his overall stiffness when it comes to cuts and coming out of breaks but I'm watching him that's technique more than a flaw.  He is too upright even when running the shuttle.  He needs to bend the knees more and he could improve this aspect. 

Maybe its his technique because he has gotten too muscular and he simply CANNOT bend more because now he lacks flexibility to do it...

Edited by matter2003

I've got real questions about Metcalf's actual ability to produce in the NFL. Nobody with his pedestrian college stats (regardless of surrounding cast) has really done much in the NFL. I don't like any of the WRs in the first round except maybe Marquise Brown towards the backend. 

10 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

DK Metcalf seems like a workout warrior. I wouldn’t mind taking him in the mid to late teens after a trade down. Straight up at 9 I would rather take a pass rusher where at that point in the draft there will be a top tier pass rusher there.

I think at around pick 15-20 Metcalf is a risk worth taking. He has a dominant physical profile, the family acumen (His father, uncle, and grandfather were all in the NFL), along with being a good kid in general. 

But as good a physical freak as he is, Metcalf does have concerns about his lateral ability (His cone drills were awful), his route running, and his hands leave a lot to be desired on tape. He also has an injury history that isn’t insignificant. 

You need to be able use more than straight line speed and a freak physical profile to be a good WR in the NFL. But if Metcalf can polish his game more he has All-Pro potential. 

So my appetite for risk on Metcalf at pick 9 is not there. I think if somehow if the Bills can trade down between 15-20 and Metcalf is there at that range (Which now is unlikely but who knows if the hype calms down in the later draft process) then having extra picks and picking lower makes Metcalf a risk worth taking as you likely have an extra 2ndround pick to fill other needs. 

Why is your post font like that? It's obnoxious, he also won't be there in a trade down.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, SACTOBILLSFAN said:

I've got real questions about Metcalf's actual ability to produce in the NFL. Nobody with his pedestrian college stats (regardless of surrounding cast) has really done much in the NFL. I don't like any of the WRs in the first round except maybe Marquise Brown towards the backend. 

That's not really true; his stats are actually pretty much in line with all of the good prospects that he's been compared to; it's just clouded a bit because he got hurt (which is a legitimate concern, but you and I simply won't have access to the medical reports that Buffalo will have).

image.png.be123a984343483a37da39d1ccbfcce4.png

Probably doesn't matter ultimately though; I don't think Metcalf will be available at #9 after the AB trade fell through. Teams will know that Buffalo wants a WR so if anyone is interested, they'll know to jump in front of Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

needs to be the pick. Don' t tell me "a lineman" is a bigger need. There are plenty of OT and G available in free agency and while DT MIGHT be a safer choice depending on who is available at 9,  taking one would in my eyes be an admission that either the Star signing and/or Phillips pick were mistakes.

So how does a guy that has only had 1200 yards and about 15 TDs his whole college career rate higher than other WR's that were WAY more productive? DK wasnt even the best WR on his own team. Will Fuller was just as fast as DK and just as injury prone. He hasnt done much of anything in the NFL. 

43 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

So how does a guy that has only had 1200 yards and about 15 TDs his whole college career rate higher than other WR's that were WAY more productive? DK wasnt even the best WR on his own team. Will Fuller was just as fast as DK and just as injury prone. He hasnt done much of anything in the NFL. 

I dunno, but it scares the crap out of me.  I want to believe so much that Buffalo finally has a FO smart enough to see through guys like this.

8 hours ago, DCOrange said:

That's not really true; his stats are actually pretty much in line with all of the good prospects that he's been compared to; it's just clouded a bit because he got hurt (which is a legitimate concern, but you and I simply won't have access to the medical reports that Buffalo will have).

image.png.be123a984343483a37da39d1ccbfcce4.png

Probably doesn't matter ultimately though; I don't think Metcalf will be available at #9 after the AB trade fell through. Teams will know that Buffalo wants a WR so if anyone is interested, they'll know to jump in front of Buffalo.

If another teams GM didn’t know the Bills would be looking for a WR and needed the AB mess for confirmation then they should be fired. Every GM and their mother knows we need a WR from 2018 WR stats alone.

Metcalf scares me and I wouldn't draft him early. Lack of production and feel like he is an injury waiting to happen.

I think there will be a number of WRs to choose in the 2nd.

Would love to trade back some and pick up extra 2nd rounder if possible. Then grab a C and WR with both picks.

Edited by billieve420

20 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Metcalf Schmetcalf.     Gimme David Sills V or N’ Keal Harry 

I really like David Sills. As a former quarterback, he understand the passing game and route combinations better than most recievers. 

2 hours ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

If you can't cut <bam>, if you can't separate <wow>, how can you be a #1 NFL WR in this league?

Quickness is everything.  Metcalf is not a nine pick.

That's the biggest knock on Metcalf, with that slow 3 cone drill it looks like he's got sluggish feet which will kill him running the route tree. He'd be great on long "Go" routes for Josh Allen but probably not much of anything else. His name is popping up on Bills #9 picks.  I honestly feel the safer pick is go for Jonah Williams or Juwaan Taylor. Then target wrs in rounds 2-3.

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

That's the biggest knock on Metcalf, with that slow 3 cone drill it looks like he's got sluggish feet which will kill him running the route tree. He'd be great on long "Go" routes for Josh Allen but probably not much of anything else. His name is popping up on Bills #9 picks.  I honestly feel the safer pick is go for Jonah Williams or Juwaan Taylor. Then target wrs in rounds 2-3.

The problem is, Metcalf’s tape, albeit limited, doesn’t back up him being a “slow” WR at all. I think it’s more likely he was nervous, tight, slipping, you name it during his cone drills. His per game production is perfectly fine for a WR of his age. In fact, he was more productive than Julio Jones at his age. 

That being said, I’m still wary of him at 9. I won’t hate the pick, but I won’t love it either. It doesn’t have anything to do with his production moreso his injury history. I’m always super wary of guys who can’t stay healthy even in college. In addition to that, this is a deep WR class. Your going to get a good one in the 2nd, maybe even 3rd. So I will advocate not going WR at 9. 

Edited by Bills2ref

10 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:
Over the past two seasons, 71% of D.K. Metcalf's yards have come on just two routes (the go route or hitch).

Was just about to post this. Very telling.

All of the signs of high but potential are there:

1. Barely ran a route tree

2. Combine measurables and physique vastly more impressive than actual production on a football field

3. Had a serious neck injury his senior season
4. Great straight line speed, but very little suddenness or change of direction ability

Note: I am NOT saying that he can't or won't become a good or great NFL player. I am simply saying that the combination of the above factors indicate that he may not live up his potential. "Combine Hero" WRs whose measurables outweigh their production are not usually my cup of tea.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Was just about to post this. Very telling.

All of the signs of high but potential are there:

1. Barely ran a route tree

2. Combine measurables and physique vastly more impressive than actual production on a football field

3. Had a serious neck injury his senior season
4. Great straight line speed, but very little suddenness or change of direction ability

Note: I am NOT saying that he can't or won't become a good or great NFL player. I am simply saying that the combination of the above factors indicate that he may not live up his potential. "Combine Hero" WRs whose measurables outweigh their production are not usually my cup of tea.

So #3. DK is only a sophomore. Just another reason to pass. 

• Like (+1) 1

Why all the chatter of being an injury threat? He had all of one injury at Ole Miss and that was a neck injury. Doctor has cleared him to resume playing. In his limited tape you were able to see his deep speed and his superb catch radius. Is he boom or bust? Maybe, but if he is boom then Josh will have a go to receiver for years to come. If I were in DK's, I'd reach out to Steve Smith Sr or Eric Moulds to workout with him and teach him the nuisances of being a NFL receiver

11 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

you can play it safe and be good or take chances and be great

On 3/3/2019 at 9:06 AM, JustWinPlease said:

I'm all in...he would make a perfect match with Josh Allen.

He has the speed for Allen's arm, and he has the catch radius for Allen's arm.

I would take DK Metcalf in the 1st round, and then trade into the end of the 1st round for Noah Fant. (Get veteran OL in free agency.)

'the catch radius'...that is very good...in other words he can catch allen's inaccurate throws