How can we not be all in on Metcalf now?

50 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

& how much uncertainty has turn into a great WR in this league??

People said Nuke Hopkins can't separate enough to be elite. Yet all he does is make plays

AB - was suppose to be a special teams gem...not turn into the best WR in the league.

Mike Evans doesn't have elite speed for his size... the NFL corners will press him at the line...yet he's a top WR.

ODB ... Very talented... but more of a slot WR...

Man ... these scouting reports were saying alot...that don't mean a lick... if you can ball... you will ball out...plain & simple.

When I watch DK film, all I see is him out muscling CB's or burning them... running the full route tree will come. Some guy's can do it coming out...some guy's develop they're game as time goes on... like Juilo & Megatron. 

DK ... should be a stud... I was beating the drum on the Bills Message Board for Mike Evans ... yet we not only traded up...but we took Sammy. The guy that was a gadget player all through college.

Because OL & DL are loaded this year. WR isn't... DK is probably your only top 10 WR in this class. We need a stud... & need to stop playing around with the position or we'll be stuck with Kelvin Benjamin & the Devin Funchess's of the world at WR. 

We're going to waste Josh Allen (who I would like to be sold on if he can get some weapons) like Carolina is wasting Cam! 

Yes it's solid... but solid is safe... we need a stud for Allen. Free Agency doesn't have a DK ...you have to draft one. If the Jets don't screw up & DK falls to 9. You pull the trigger... no questions ask!

I think that’s where i disagree. I do think this is a loaded WR class. I don’t think Metcalf is the best WR in the draft and don’t think he’s a top 10 player in the draft. If I’m drafting him at 9 I need both of those things to be true. So it’s just a difference of opinion. I believe there will be an elite DL or  OL prospect there at 9, and that there will be a WR as good or better than Metcalf there at 40. 

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think that’s where i disagree. I do think this is a loaded WR class. I don’t think Metcalf is the best WR in the draft and don’t think he’s a top 10 player in the draft. If I’m drafting him at 9 I need both of those things to be true. So it’s just a difference of opinion. I believe there will be an elite DL or  OL prospect there at 9, and that there will be a WR as good or better than Metcalf there at 40. 

This is starting to remind me of that 2008 Devin Thomas-Limas Sweed- Malcolm Kelly draft. Everyone kept mocking us Thomas in the first round becuase he blew up the combine and we had a huge need there. He went in the second round with a bunch of other guys, the best of which turned out to be DeSean Jackson and Jordy Nelson. We took James Hardy and got Stevie in the seventh. That's kind of how I feel about this draft. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, billspro said:

As a Ducks fan, I wasn't super impressed with him. All he caught was WR screens, other than that that he couldn't get separation against us.  

I think Butler has a chance to be a legit number 1 WR. I'm hoping we get him in round 2. 

As a Ducks fan (gag) you should know that ASU has issues with play calling and QB play, you should also know that this YAC is amazing and he wins contested catches. 

7 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

This is starting to remind me of that 2008 Devin Thomas-Limas Sweed- Malcolm Kelly draft. Everyone kept mocking us Thomas in the first round becuase he blew up the combine and we had a huge need there. He went in the second round with a bunch of other guys, the best of which turned out to be DeSean Jackson and Jordy Nelson. We took James Hardy and got Stevie in the seventh. That's kind of how I feel about this draft. 

That WR class was notoriously weak going into the draft yes. This year’s WRs I think is a little different from that one in part because there is such a glut of elite, high end defensive talent clogging to top of everyone’s boards. 

I don’t disagree completely however. I’d much rather pass on Metcalf and grab someone like Harry in the 2nd. We need help at WR badly, though, so they better do their homework and get at least one or two in the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

After watching that performance.   Hes like a combination of Julio Jones and EMO.

Does he make it to 9 after this combine?

Guess you missed the combine thread .

i will be happy to get him but there are so many good guys i will be happy with just about anyone they draft.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, freddyjj said:

AJ from UB will likely be a day 3 pick now.  Not as big or strong as most thought and has real issues gaining separation 

He's very strong...Leipold babysat him when he had a right hamstring issue because he was expecting to go undefeated and hit a big bowl.What games are you referring to when he couldn't separate?

Edited by Misterbluesky

1 hour ago, billspro said:

Aaron Maybin ran a 4.89 at the combine. Maybe we should have paid more attention to his athletic ability. 

He ran a 4.59 at his pro day and Jauron had an erection that lasted more than four hours.

29 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

@YoloinOhio is going to flip, but I spent the day watching Parris Campbell, and I think he's creeping up my board. I don't think he's there at 40 for Buffalo. He might not even be there at 30.

Don’t his hands scare you and I’m not sure he’s reliable downfield ... thoughts?

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Don’t his hands scare you and I’m not sure he’s reliable downfield ... thoughts?

With how smooth and explosive out of the blocks he is, I have almost no concern with his downfield game.

The dropsies do worry me, but it's not epidemic-level.

I also think that Daboll would view him as an ideal chess piece for his scheme

9 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

With how smooth and explosive out of the blocks he is, I have almost no concern with his downfield game.

The dropsies do worry me, but it's not epidemic-level.

I also think that Daboll would view him as an ideal chess piece for his scheme

He is what I would call an “offensive weapon” in that he could be a Tyreek hill type (but bigger). He does have the “McDermott DNA”, so it’s an intriguing thought if he’s there at 40.

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He is what I would call an “offensive weapon” in that he could be a Tyreek hill type (but bigger). He does have the “McDermott DNA”, so it’s an intriguing thought if he’s there at 40.

Oh yeah, he's a process guy for sure.

Really don't think he's there at 40 though 

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Oh yeah, he's a process guy for sure.

Really don't think he's there at 40 though 

I could see the Browns taking him as early as 17. He’s from Akron and Dorsey drafted Hill, and they need a WR. Just a thought. 

1 hour ago, Misterbluesky said:

He's very strong...Leipold babysat him when he had a right hamstring issue because he was expecting to go undefeated and hit a big bowl.What games are you referring to when he couldn't separate?

He did 18 BPs at Combine which is not bad.  As for power he had 32" vertical and 10'2" Broad Jump which are very pedestrian for a WR in NfL. 

Hey I am a UB Alum and hope He goes high but there are a glut of big WRs and as a result he will likely drop to 3rd day unless he runs 4.45 at Pro Day.

He struggled to get open vs Kent State, Bowling Green and Troy last year in games I watched.  Troy has some NFL ready Dbs so very telling. 

19 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I could see the Browns taking him as early as 17. He’s from Akron and Dorsey drafted Hill, and they need a WR. Just a thought. 

I think Cleveland goes Hollywood if he's there--their version of Tyreek. If he's gone, then yeah, I could see Parris in that slot

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Scarnecchia has more to do it than anything. There is a reason when he came back their OL got miles better again. 

And we don’t have scarnecchia.....sooooooo?  It’s not easy to just “develop” 3rd-5th rd picks into a great OL unless you have an OL guru.  Who’s our guru to develop them?  Which OL guru is available to sign?

Everyone wants a big DK... Not everyone knows how to use one....  I'd rather grab Hockenson, then a mismatch nightmare like Hakeem Butler... Round things off with Anthony Johnson. -Keep it simple, and leave room on the plate for O-line and D-line steals in rds. 4-7.

• Haha (+1) 1

No WR should go top 10 imo, nothing has changed for me on that front. This is still a very good, possibly elite defensive draft. Quinnen Williams has tore it up at the combine and Josh Sweat just elevated his draft stock as well so this should be interesting to see who falls, I also think the OT from Florida elevated his stock and I think he's the clear cut top OT in this year's class.

If we take anything but o-line at No.9 I'll go nuclear.  People say every offseason that they'll just magically fix the o-line in free agency and it never happens.  It's a deep class for d-line and WR, take them in the 2nd and 3rd.

Edited by BuffBillsForLife
typo
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

If we take anything but o-line at No.9 I'll go nuclear.  People say every offseason that they'll just magically fix the o-line in free agency and it never happens.  It's a deep class for d-line and WR, take them in the 2nd and 3rd.

I think they should go FA Oline and draft skill players.  There are no real weapons available in FA.  I dont see them looking to Bell or trading for Brown.  Go where the players are. Buffalo has to spend money.  Defensive front 7 and Oline seems to be the most prevalent this year. Sign 2 or 3 O lineman and a d lineman.  I would go skill player 1,2,3.  Buffalo needs speed and dynamic athletes on offense.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

His combine was actually more fascinating than it was a complete success

Well...I pretty much knew from the tape what he would do at the Combine...I knew he would be a freak...But he's not a stop-on-a-dime-type...He's a beat-you-fast and hit the jets type with good hands...

At this point he's not perfect...He's a bit raw...But look at what the Bills did in one season with Foster...D.K.'s ceiling is well beyond Foster's and he's a REAL hard working kid who wants to be the best...He has DRIVE...He's a good teammate, good character kid...I just don't see the downside whatsoever...

Don't underestimate his ability to set up DB's either...He's learning the nuances at WR...He's not a finished product...But he shows enough growth to know he can be...

Give him a couple years and watch...If he lands in Buffalo, adding him to Foster and Zay gives the Bills a REAL legit top 3 with a ton of diversity...In D.K. and Foster you would have two guys who can beat Defenses vertically on every down...That's going to open up all kinds of options for Zay and a TE...Add a Swiss-army-knife kind of slot guy and there you go...Done...

It's a gamble on greatness...But goodness the payoff is immense...?

How often does a wr get to run 40 yards unimpeded? I would never again want to trade up for a WR. I don’t think it’s impossible for him to be good in the league but it sounds like it could be a process with the agility numbers. Not much difference in great and average physically as far as receivers go. Agility is one of those difference making factors that the great ones have.

OL AND DL early please. We have to be better at the line of scrimmage. 

9 minutes ago, BuffaloFan68 said:

So you have Metcalf & Jonah Williams staring at you with the 9th pick & a team like the Redskins offering you to trade back where we could still grab a player like  T.J. Hockenson, TE - what do you do? 

Personally I take D.K. and I don't even think twice about it...

I literally make the pick in the 1st 30 seconds and run the card up...

But that's just me...?

• Like (+1) 1

Just looked, again, at his numbers from the combine. Very impressive EXCEPT the 20 yard shuttle and the 3 cone drill which were nothing special.

To me this puts into doubt his ability to change directions effectively. NFL WR's don't just run in a straight line, they need to be able to cut quickly without losing speed.

If he can't do that it will really limit his production in the offense.

Also there is the issue of his neck injury this year which caused him to miss much of the season.

I always am leery of players who have back or neck injuries, those can end a career fast.

To me I don't think you can take him at #9, not great value there, after a trade down perhaps.

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

His combine was actually more fascinating than it was a complete success

Wow...thats kind of important to a WR...I mean how can he have a worse 3 cone drill time than Tom Brady?? That makes no sense...

1 hour ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

What if Jonah Williams and Jawaan Taylor are both off the board at 9, would you just shoehorn an offensive lineman in there just for the sake of it?

7 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Every other guy that you mentioned was a productive player in college.

DK was not.

I’m not saying we should draft him but he was productive.

He played in 6 full games this year. His yardage totals were 81, 93, 92, 102, 37,  and 115. Now his reception totals were not high. He will never be the WR that is going to be a chain mover. He is a home run hitter. He will probably end up being between Tyrell Williams (floor) and Randy Moss (ceiling).

Because the combine is not an indicator of NFL success. Heck, even college tape doesn't predict NFL success.

Personally? I would be happy to have him, but my man crush is on N'Keal Harry.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloFan68 said:

So you have Metcalf & Jonah Williams staring at you with the 9th pick & a team like the Redskins offering you to trade back where we could still grab a player like  T.J. Hockenson, TE - what do you do? 

Trade back. Any time you have three guys you could be happy with you move back.

His injury history concerns me. And I’m sure it concerns the Bills. McDermott always says “the best ability is availability”. Hence why we don’t miss Sammy. He doesn’t play enough to be missed. Yes he’d be our best WR by a mile, but he doesn’t play enough to make a large enough impact. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, NewEra said:

And we don’t have scarnecchia.....sooooooo?  It’s not easy to just “develop” 3rd-5th rd picks into a great OL unless you have an OL guru.  Who’s our guru to develop them?  Which OL guru is available to sign?

So if we do not have the ability to develop our OL then why take them so early again?  Because OL has transitioned to one of the bigger development positions in the NFL.