How can we not be all in on Metcalf now?

20 hours ago, ytownblofan said:

Not a chance. Jam him at the line with safety help over the top and he becomes a non-factor. A wr that can’t change direction and has a limited route tree becomes easy to defend, freak or not. 

Jam him at the line ??? ??

you will need an OLineman to be able to do that , 

but ridiculous speed means Nothing if you can’t stop on a dime and change direction 

9 hours ago, BuffaloFan68 said:

So you have Metcalf & Jonah Williams staring at you with the 9th pick & a team like the Redskins offering you to trade back where we could still grab a player like  T.J. Hockenson, TE - what do you do? 

PASS on Jonah Williams , I don’t know why people consider him BEST OL in this draft ? 

I take Jawaan Taylor at 9 ( IF he’s still there) 

3 minutes ago, Putin said:

PASS on Jonah Williams , I don’t know why people consider him BEST OL in this draft ? 

I take Jawaan Taylor at 9 ( IF he’s still there) 

Id even take Cody Ford, Andre Dillard before a projected G in Jonah Williams

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Id even take Cody Ford, Andre Dillard before a projected G in Jonah Williams

I like Cody Ford as well , 

1) i cant wait for the free agency to start 

2) Will have a much better idea what to expect in the draft 

Goooo Bills !!! 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Putin said:

I like Cody Ford as well , 

1) i cant wait for the free agency to start 

2) Will have a much better idea what to expect in the draft 

Goooo Bills !!! 

Dilliard by all accounts may have looked the best out of all OT. Silky smooth. But yeah, I'm not on the Jonah Wagon like most

Just now, BuffAlone said:

Dilliard by all accounts may have looked the best out of all OT. Silky smooth. But yeah, I'm not on the Jonah Wagon like most

In your estimation when do you think Dillard will be drafted? You think there’s a chance he’s still there in the 2nd round? 

1 minute ago, Putin said:

In your estimation when do you think Dillard will be drafted? You think there’s a chance he’s still there in the 2nd round? 

I don't. I think he goes mid to late first rd. I got Taylor 1, Cody Ford 2, Dillard 3. Think they all go in the first. Wouldn't surprise me to see Jonah fall to the 2nd round. JMO of course

4 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Is this because he's the best player available or are u a needs kind of guy?

I’m neither. He should have a similar grade to the defensive players at that point of the draft. If the grades are that close I’m going oline because it has a much higher positional value. Second to QB imo.

11 minutes ago, billspro said:

I’m neither. He should have a similar grade to the defensive players at that point of the draft. If the grades are that close I’m going oline because it has a much higher positional value. Second to QB imo.

The game is changing and positional value is a team by team approach other then a true Franchise QB teams will have Edge players , IDL,  Corners and Oline usually rated highest but some teams put the highest emphasis on difference makers regardless of position.  If it happens that they have a player rated very high at a position that matters they'll make the move but if u have a Wr or RB u project to be a All Pro player and a Olineman or some other position projected to be a solid pro well guess what throw the positional value thing out the window. Lots of teams are starting to realize this because difference makers no matter what position can't be found in free agency. 

If I'm drafting a WR who tested well but underperformed I think my pick is Emanuel Hall on day 2, not DK on day 1. At this point my WR list for the Bills is (in no particular order):

Hakeem Butler

Terry McLaurin

Miles Boykin

Emanuel Hall

Parris Campbell

Deebo Samuel

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, BuffaloFan68 said:

So you have Metcalf & Jonah Williams staring at you with the 9th pick & a team like the Redskins offering you to trade back where we could still grab a player like  T.J. Hockenson, TE - what do you do? 

This is the ideal situation. I would love that trade get an impact guy in the pass and run on day one in a big position of need and also pick up an additional 2nd and 4th round picks. Love it. 

No joke. If I was a GM I’d ban my guys from watching anything to do with the combine. 

Id let them go for interviews, that’s it. Do the homework during the year, watch games, watch tape, that’s it. 

The combine is fool’s gold. The tape, and the interview, that’s all that matters. 

Oline, please. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Bobby Hooks said:

No joke. If I was a GM I’d ban my guys from watching anything to do with the combine. 

Id let them go for interviews, that’s it. Do the homework during the year, watch games, watch tape, that’s it. 

The combine is fool’s gold. The tape, and the interview, that’s all that matters. 

Oline, please. 

It's only one piece of the puzzle, but I think it helps reaffirm what you see on the field/film.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, stony said:

It's only one piece of the puzzle, but I think it helps reaffirm what you see on the field/film.  

Nope. All that matters it what they do on the field. How they play. 

That’s it. The rest is nonsense and people put too much stock these days into nonsense. 

That’s it. The rest is nonsense and people put too much stock these days into nonsense. 

No, it matters.  Again, not as much as people make it out to be.  

But much of the competition in college sucks.  Combine numbers/testing is a useful piece of the puzzle.  

1 minute ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Some numbers matter. Its just the way it is. Arm length for O-linemen. Short area quickness for skill players. Height/weight for Defensive front 7 guys. Like its already been said, its just part of the puzzle. If a 6' 271 lb OT dominates competition at Niagara county community college with 30 inch arms, that don't mean he's a viable option in the NFL. 

2 minutes ago, stony said:

No, it matters.  Again, not as much as people make it out to be.  

But much of the competition in college sucks.  Combine numbers/testing is a useful piece of the puzzle.  

There are far too many variables at the combine that have absolutely zero to do with the game of football. 

Agree to disagree. 

1 minute ago, BuffAlone said:

Some numbers matter. Its just the way it is. Arm length for O-linemen. Short area quickness for skill players. Height/weight for Defensive front 7 guys. Like its already been said, its just part of the puzzle. If a 6' 271 lb OT dominates competition at Niagara county community college with 30 inch arms, that don't mean he's a viable option in the NFL. 

So you fall for that kind of stuff? Ok, guess you wouldn’t have drafted many, many good players including Mayfield and Donald. It’s a waste of time, imo. 

Just tape and interviews. All I’d allow. 

• Like (+1) 1

There are far too many variables at the combine that have absolutely zero to do with the game of football. 

Agree to disagree. 

I think the combine is largely stupid and you think it's completely stupid.  Close enough for me!

24 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Oline, please. 

It is a media myth that guys "rise" or "fall" because of the combine.  40 times and 3 cone drills could not matter less.  The media obsess over them, though, because it reaffirms the importance of their coverage. 

What is really happening is media members are spending enough time around coaches and GMs that they are starting to figure out where guys really fall on NFL GMs boards.  Its a process of self correction.  The media, guys who have no idea how to scout a player, are simply learning what GMs really think of these guys.  Thus, through the media's lens, it looks like guys are "rising" and "falling,"  when really, those guys have already been in that position from the get go. 

25 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Oline, please. 

Here I am, expecting to see a joke and you start off by saying no joke!! Whoa!! You really no how to keep us on our toes Bobby Hookzzzzzzzz!!!!

9 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Here I am, expecting to see a joke and you start off by saying no joke!! Whoa!! You really no how to keep us on our toes Bobby Hookzzzzzzzz!!!!

“No joke” is my way of saying... “Listen up, I feel very strongly about the words I’m about to bestow upon you...”

And you know this.......MAN! 

15 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Agree to disagree. 

So you fall for that kind of stuff? Ok, guess you wouldn’t have drafted many, many good players including Mayfield and Donald. It’s a waste of time, imo. 

Just tape and interviews. All I’d allow. 

Don't put words into my mouth. I'd have drafted Both of those guys. Both were considered small but numbers at the combine alleviated some concerns about sustainability at the next level for a lot of GMs. Again, its just PART of the process. Every bit of info to be had is an excellent idea when a team's/FO's career and livelihood depends on making a decision. I mean, if you buy a new house, you don't just look at it and buy it, do you? I need to see the foundation, the yearly taxes, etc before I make an educated offer on the property. 

Again, its not everything, but the more you know the better decision you make

6 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Don't put words into my mouth. I'd have drafted Both of those guys. Both were considered small but numbers at the combine alleviated some concerns about sustainability at the next level for a lot of GMs. Again, its just PART of the process. Every bit of info to be had is an excellent idea when a team's/FO's career and livelihood depends on making a decision. I mean, if you buy a new house, you don't just look at it and buy it, do you? I need to see the foundation, the yearly taxes, etc before I make an educated offer on the property. 

Again, its not everything, but the more you know the better decision you make

I disagree. I think this stuff can talk you out of making the right call. 

Game tape and interviews are enough. 

That’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

1 hour ago, Bobby Hooks said:

I disagree. I think this stuff can talk you out of making the right call. 

That’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it. 

And you are entitled to it. I'm not trying to talk you out of it. I myself am a fan of getting every ounce of knowledge available before making a life changing decision. Aaron Donald was considered small. A tweener. He was projected to go 4th-5th round. If he'd have bench pressed 17 reps, instead of an impressive 35 reps, do you think he'd have gone 13th overall? That's a case of numbers actually HELPING a team make the right call. Food for thought....

Edited by BuffAlone
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

So if we do not have the ability to develop our OL then why take them so early again?  Because OL has transitioned to one of the bigger development positions in the NFL. 

Obviously, the team doesn’t have the view that only Dante Scarnecchia can develop an OL.  

That would be giving up on the OL and obviously that’s not going to happen.  You act as if no good teams draft OL in the first 2 rds.  

I realize DK Metcalf is a scary prospect but I feel the same about alot of these Dlineman in this draft alot of them don't have the crazy production to go with the amazing physical abilities. 

DT Ed Oliver 3ys 13 SK , 53 TFL

DE Rashan Gary 3yrs 9.5 SK ,23 TFL

Seems like anyone that's down on Metcalf simply points to David Boston as if he's the only other WR that's ever been an athletic freak.

That one picture that floated around clearly was taken at an angle that makes him look much larger than he really is. He's still a big dude no doubt but that one photo looked like the Space Jam guys after they got done drinking Michael Jordan's secret stuff.

Metcalf measured out nearly identically to Julio Jones and they both look relatively the same in terms of body size to match the numbers.

Image result for dk metcalf combineImage result for julio jones

2 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

I realize DK Metcalf is a scary prospect but I feel the same about alot of these Dlineman in this draft alot of them don't have the crazy production to go with the amazing physical abilities. 

Oliver's TFL numbers are literally head and shoulders above basically every DT prospect of the past decade, including Aaron Donald and Ndamukong Suh.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Seems like anyone that's down on Metcalf simply points to David Boston as if he's the only other WR that's ever been an athletic freak.

That one picture that floated around clearly was taken at an angle that makes him look much larger than he really is. He's still a big dude no doubt but that one photo looked like the Space Jam guys after they got done drinking Michael Jordan's secret stuff.

Metcalf measured out nearly identically to Julio Jones and they both look relatively the same in terms of body size to match the numbers.

Oliver's TFL numbers are literally head and shoulders above basically every DT prospect of the past decade, including Aaron Donald and Ndamukong Suh.

The 53 is impressive . But the sks way way down at 13. I realize he gets big time attention but the same could be said for other high profile prospects. 

13 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

53 TFL in 3 years is not crazy production??

5 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

The 53 is impressive . But the sks way way down at 13. I realize he gets big time attention but the same could be said for other high profile prospects. 

Sacks are a TFL too. He averaged over 22 total TFL's a year. I'd say that's crazy production for a college player

Edited by BuffAlone

13 hours ago, BuffaloFan68 said:

I'd trade back to acquire more picks/talent

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

The difference between Jones’s 6.66 3 cone and 4.25 20 yard shuttle vs. Metcalf’s 7.38 and 4.50, respectively, is far from nearly identical. No doubt Metcalf is the slightly more explosive straight line and stronger athlete, but in terms of the total package required for receivers, his seeming lack of decent, let alone elite agility,  calls into question his route running ability. He’s just not the same kind of wideout as Jones.

18 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Some of us have seen the height/weight/speed guy that can't run 60% of the route tree thing played out before, and we'd like to see the guy be able to play the position.

Oh you're going to see it.  Right here in Buffalo!

18 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

Not opposed. But at #9 overall I am. He has no short area burst. Nor the production in college that shows he's been a consistent playmaker worthy of a top ten pick. What's so hard to understand?

The same can be and was said for Josh Allen at this time last year.

I know what I see.

On 3/3/2019 at 12:06 PM, YoloinOhio said:

His combine was actually more fascinating than it was a complete success

Does anyone know of any receivers who turned out great after a poor 3-cone drill performance?

Tried to google but couldn't find much.  I was wondering what Calvin Johnson's time was.